• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat for Vita confirmed!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
DiscoJer said:
And given the higher costs of developing on PSV, and the lower profit margin on games (thanks to it using carts), I think people have every right to be skeptical of third party support.
As Cratakat mentioned before, that's not necessarily the case. I'd also say that cart manufacturing isnt all that much these days, or at least comparable to UMDs. I could be wrong.

It would be interesting to compare how the same guest character plays in both games, although I suppose we can already do that with Kratos in MK vs Kratos in Soul Calibur.

Chozo

I wish I could say SF vs. MK would be cool, but holy crap determining the tone for that game would be a nightmare. MK fans would probably bitch if fatalities and such were toned down (like they did with MKvsDC, IIRC), but at the same time it's hard for me to imagine a game where Ryu dragon punches peoples' heads off.

On topic: I'm not exactly sure how "PS Vita is getting a port of a fighting game" = "holy shit the PS Vita is going to rock face third party wise."

If having noone but Kratos as an extra character, or NO extra character ensures cross platform compatibility, I'd gladly take it. I havent been a fan of a guest char except Spawn on Soul Calibur II Xbox.

Matter of fact... what about Spawn? He'd fit right in!

Vormund

Chozo said:
I wish I could say SF vs. MK would be cool, but holy crap determining the tone for that game would be a nightmare. MK fans would probably bitch if fatalities and such were toned down (like they did with MKvsDC, IIRC), but at the same time it's hard for me to imagine a game where Ryu dragon punches peoples' heads off.

It would have to be like what they're doing with SF x Tekken/Tekken x SF. Each side makes their own game.

Patryn

zoner said:
I love that Boon was playing SF vs Tekken. Seriously Capcom, get to him about a crossover. He's obviously willing; you're the problem here

I believe Giant Bomb already explained why this won't happen. Apparently Capcom only gauges thing by the Japanese market, so they think that Tekken is this huge thing and is far more popular than Mortal Kombat, which they view as an obscure and insignificant series.

They don't realize that when it comes to the US market at least, it's Street Fighter and then it's Mortal Kombat.

Takao

Banned
chubigans said:
As Cratakat mentioned before, that's not necessarily the case. I'd also say that cart manufacturing isnt all that much these days, or at least comparable to UMDs. I could be wrong.

It might just be Nintendo's third party hatred campaign, but a lot of the niche publishers still support the PSP because UMD production is insanely low compared to DS cart production.

Patryn said:
I believe Giant Bomb already explained why this won't happen. Apparently Capcom only gauges thing by the Japanese market, so they think that Tekken is this huge thing and is far more popular than Mortal Kombat, which they view as an obscure and insignificant series.

They don't realize that when it comes to the US market at least, it's Street Fighter and then it's Mortal Kombat.

This might have been true at one time.
But...
If this was still true, then the DmC abortion NT is about ready to drop on us wouldn't be happening and we'd be getting a proper DMC5. :3

Patryn said:

I doubt we'd have Marvel, DmC, RE:ORC if that were true.

Modern Capcom has been about nothing but appealing to the western market.

I bet Inafune would have greenlit SFvsMK in a heartbeat :(

2 Million seller :(

klee123

DiscoJer said:
Yes, from people who owned PSPs and saw the Western third party support start off pretty "meh" and dwindle down to virtually nothing.

And given the higher costs of developing on PSV, and the lower profit margin on games (thanks to it using carts), I think people have every right to be skeptical of third party support.

And a handful of ports at launch is hardly evidence it will get strong third party support from the West. Let's see how it's going in 3 years, when the PS4/Xbox 3 is out, and quick ports are no longer easy.

If anything, the PSV should be much easier to develop for western devs who make a multiplatform game on PS3.

Wasn't Sony aiming for a process that a dev can do a single submission which allows compatibility with not only the PS3 but also PSV?

Riposte

Allowing a Street Fighter vs Mortal Kombat is like allowing that douchey friend you don't really like to sleep with your mom.

yencid

G0Emo.jpg

please?

fernoca

They don't realize that when it comes to the US market at least, it's Mortal Kombat and then it's Street Fighter.
FIXED
I bet Inafune would have greenlit SFvsMK in a heartbeat :(

3 Million + seller :(
FIXED

After seeing what's being done to Resident Evil, I don't see why they don't add this to the vs series. This is just sleeping on money. Although I think the WB version of SF vs MK would eclipse Capcom's version...what if they combined...WB handles production values and Capcom handles gameplay. I'm done dreaming.

Kratos is nice, MKV is easily justifiable for me, i own MK9 on xbox already but portability plus the PS3 version of the game makes this a no brainer for me.

Top Bottom