• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potato Masher (console-level used PC) vs PS4/PS4 Pro in Watch_Dogs 2

Hellshy.

First party console titles benefit from the financial benefits that they are funded by a platform owner, and they are funded by a platform owner for reasons beyond making that single title as profitable as possible.
e: Its not "to the metal coding".
Its time and money (which are basically the same thing).

Time and money is exactly why multiplatform title don't take advantage of it usually. I highly doubt naughty dog is asking new hire applicants if they know assembly code bc of marketing fluff.

Destroyed.

And yet when a console owner says the exact same thing, responses are completely different.

Don't bring me into this shit, I use both PC and consoles.

And seriously, no one has quoted anything towards Raptor's thoughts on the Switch, how is he destroyed?

Fisty

not quite yet but as i'm sure you know, they are coming later in the year

also what can a ps4 do that a pc can't? (plz don't list games :p )

Uh well games are the point of all this, exclusives at least. It's a game console, I don't think people are clamoring for a TurboTax port or something on PS4

oSoLucky

I mean... I see your point and understand it, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with "most popular consoles performance on a TV" as a baseline for comparison for multi-platform titles.

It's not inherently wrong as you say, but I think the videos are made with full knowledge of where it will lead. Tinfoil hat time - I also think that's part of the purpose. The responses from both sides in these threads are still ridiculous and full of platform warrioring.

Hux1ey

Banned
Uh well games are the point of all this, exclusives at least. It's a game console, I don't think people are clamoring for a TurboTax port or something on PS4

No they aren't, they'd probably like PCSX2 and ePSXe though :p

It's not inherently wrong as you say, but I think the videos are made with full knowledge of where it will lead. Tinfoil hat time - I also think that's part of the purpose. The responses from both sides in these threads are still ridiculous and full of platform warrioring.

I'm not seeing it, it's been mostly civil to my eyes.

Stupid console wars aside, it's interesting to see how consoles compare to GPU hardware. The PS4 ranks lower then a 760, while the PRO ranks below the 1060. Or at least the ones used in the build.

Lister

Banned
Stupid console wars aside, it's interesting to see how consoles compare to GPU hardware. The PS4 ranks lower then a 760, while the PRO ranks below the 1060. Or at least the ones used in the build.

It's like an OC'ed 1050ti I think (the Pro) with more VRAM. Or maybe a better analog would be a down-clocked 1060.

Lister

Banned
?

You shouldn't post this, because it's a misinformation.

You're kidding right? I was talking about last gen consoles and the few games that either required installs or benfitted from them, but even today, some game installs take a forever on consoles.

dracula_x

You're kidding right? I was talking about last gen consoles and the few games that either required installs or benfitted from them, but even today, some game installs take a forever on consoles.

?

It takes a few minutes max to install any game on PS4.

Lister

Banned
?

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/ge...ke-so-long-to-install-games-on-ps4-x-1488035/

That guy might have some issues with his hardware but the rest of the thread posits 15-30 minutes as install times for Watchdogs on PS4.... that's not my definition of "few".

Downloading the game on my internet connection takes less time! and thnen it's ready to go (unless it's a new release on release day, curse you Steam decryption!).

It's a minor point though, as it happens only once.... well eveyrtime you install the game, which shouldn't be too often. The load times are the real issue, last and current gen have some comically long ones compared to my PC.

RedSwirl

Just chiming in here real quick, but I was pretty happy with my 760 which generally got slightly-over-PS4 performance... until DOOM. Maybe I didn't mess with the settings enough, but at 900p on medium I was just not able to keep the demo up to 60. I know the console version has dynamic resolution while the PC version doesn't.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Any PC circa 2013 should do better than base PS4 performance wise just on account of the CPU not being total garbage.

The Pro, having higher bandwidth and GPU power is more of a toss up but still a low to midrange PC at this rate, even more bottlenecked by the CPU and relative bandwidth increase than base PS4.

If your getting a PS4 over a PC, performance is def not the reason to get one. Convenience factor, closed ecosystem and exclusive games def apply though.

Lister

Banned
Just chiming in here real quick, but I was pretty happy with my 760 which generally got slightly-over-PS4 performance... until DOOM. Maybe I didn't mess with the settings enough, but at 900p on medium I was just not able to keep the demo up to 60. I know the console version has dynamic resolution while the PC version doesn't.

Every game should offer that and Sparse rendering as options, IMHO. Maybe they will someday.

However, your setting might have been set higher than on a PS4.

Steel

Banned
I just checked, it took about 10 seconds to install Until Dawn. I can upload video if you want.

You said any game. Not specifically one game. And there's a difference between "early play" install and fully install. I've had early play install take seconds, then full installs take an hour or more.

Inuhanyou

I just checked, it took about 10 seconds to install Until Dawn. I can upload video if you want.

This is only to get into the game, you can't literally install the game to HDD in 10 seconds. PS4 allows you to play the game in chunks if your starting at the beginning, otherwise you have to download it all first which usually happens as your playing, you can't just pop in a game that hasn't been installed and skip straight to the middle of the game from an existing save.

dracula_x

You said any game. Not specifically one game.

Until Dawn is 40GB game.

This is only to get into the game, you can't literally install the game to HDD. PS4 allows you to play the game in chunks if your starting at the beginning, otherwise you have to download it all first, you can't just pop in a game that hasn't been installed and skip straight to the middle of the game from an existing save.

it shows as fully installed already.

Steel

Banned
Until Dawn is 40GB game.

You didn't install 40 gigs in 10 seconds. You're simply playing what little they allow you to, some games are better about expanding the play area as you install than others, most barely let you play a tutorial while you wait for a full install that can take an hour or more.

Lister

Banned
This is only to get into the game, you can't literally install the game to HDD in 10 seconds. PS4 allows you to play the game in chunks if your starting at the beginning, otherwise you have to download it all first which usually happens as your playing, you can't just pop in a game that hasn't been installed and skip straight to the middle of the game from an existing save.

Another feature that only a few games on PC have, which they all should have.

Inuhanyou

it shows as fully installed already.

I'm telling you, you are mistaken.

I don't understand how the thread got to this point. PC's are superior in performance to consoles and the price to performance ratio shrinks every day for these current machines.

There should be no 'war' between consoles and PC's on their pros and cons on these grounds which are layed by facts.

dracula_x

I'm telling you, you are mistaken.

I don't understand how the thread got to this point. PC's are superior in performance to consoles and the price to performance ratio shrinks every day for these current machines.

There should be no 'war' between consoles and PC's on their pros and cons on these grounds which are layed by facts.

I'm not. Few seconds for first chunk, and a few minutes max for a full game, as I said before in this thread:

?

You can be limited in game though.

As it fully installed after a few minutes - nope. And you don't even need to download updates to play a game, btw (except multiplayer-only games)

10 seconds? Installation from the disc? How is that possible, isn't the game 40+ GB?

IIRC it took me around 10-15 minutes to install Horizon Zero Dawn and Final Fantasy 15.

Hux1ey

Banned
10 seconds? Installation from the disc? How is that possible, isn't the game 40+ GB?

IIRC it took me around 10-15 minutes to install Horizon Zero Dawn and Final Fantasy 15

I don't even know how long mine take, every time I buy a PS4 game I just leave it to install and download all the patches, that shit can take forever for sure. Not as bad as the PS3 though -.-

GavinUK86

I love these potato masher videos but these threads are really something. They start out pretty cool then always turn into a shit show of people who aren't even interested in PC gaming.

Your PS4 is fine. No one is attacking you because you own one. No need to act like it needs defending.

Some people have a PC and all the consoles, some people pick and choose. There's no need to attack anyone.

This video is aimed at PC gamers who have aging hardware. He's letting them know if an old cheap PC can run the latest games.

Caayn

IIRC it took me around 10-15 minutes to install Horizon Zero Dawn and Final Fantasy 15.
He's confusing ready to play with a completed installation.

There doesn't exist a consumer grade drive that supports the read speeds needed to transfer that amount of data in such a short time frame.

00ich

Isn't this PC made with gifted or obtained for free parts?
No it's price matched to the PS4 at release.

So it has to be price. But then they present a disingenuous argument by using used PC components in an attempt to drive down costs in favor of one side.
Different PC parts have a different life cycle . A case you bought ten years ago is still up to the task.The CPU and motherboard last long (that might change next console generation). The i750 they used is a 2009. That's from deep within the PS3 area. The GPU is something you might want to change more often. A PC doesn't follow generations and almost never dies at once.

Comparing the value is not disingenuous, it's probably the most valid method of putting hardware against each other and if you want to enter PC gaming in 2014 that build probably was a good idea.

The interesting story here is more that there are a lot of people underestimating their PC parts. Comments like "my i2500 is becoming a little old" are just not true if you use consoles as baseline. The mainstream tech sites are largely promoting a needless urgency to exchange parts and cards like a GTX 1080 are more of a status symbol than anything else. Not that they would't deliver more performance but the value proposition is weak even if you don't factor in the diminishing returns of upcomputing console level assets.

KJRS_1993

It makes no odds to me either which way, but you've got to call out bullshit when you see it - Anyone who says this is a comparison worth making is chatting it.

You could easily flip this on its head and say "My mate sold me his PS4 for £50. There's no way a PC could match this price when it comes to value for money!"
No shit Sherlock.

It's interesting to know what PC builds can get you what performance, but any kind of price / performance comparison with consoles is worthless beyond seeking to wind people up for clicks.

Edit: and why waste time arguing about games or installation times or what have you. That's all subjective, not measurable like hardware performance is, and you'll never agree anyway.

Hux1ey

Banned
I love these potato masher videos but these threads are really something. They start out pretty cool then always turn into a shit show of people who aren't even interested in PC gaming.

Your PS4 is fine. No one is attacking you because you own one. No need to act like it needs defending.

Some people have a PC and all the consoles, some people pick and choose. There's no need to attack anyone.

This video is aimed at PC gamers who have aging hardware. He's letting them know if an old cheap PC can run the latest games.

Some feel the need to defend what is not even being attacked.

Well, most PS4 games aren't AAA games also.
We were talking about AAA games though.

Lifeline

I don't think this is a game you'd want to play comparing libraries.

I'm not comparing libraries. I'm saying that no one gets a console because it's more powerful than a PC. They get it for the games that attract them.

In comparing libraries, CK2 and Civ 4 are some of my most favorite games ever and I just got Battlegrounds too. But I'd still say I rather have the PS4 exclusive library than my PC's. Not to mention, most of the worthwhile games on PC end up on console anyway.

Similar hardware in what way? The tech? They certainly aren't using Jaguar CPUs. So it has to be price. But then they present a disingenuous argument by using used PC components in an attempt to drive down costs in favor of one side.

There's a craigslist ad posted yesterday in my area for a $175 PS4. But I certainly wouldn't argue that a PS4 only costs $175.

Yeah, the used parts price is hilarious. Bring me a PC similar to PS4 specs that costs $150 and comes up with BF4 and a lawn chair if you wanna compete with Craigslist used deals.

None of the games i listed are on there, but nice attempt.

Can a PS4 play CS:GO, WoW, LoL, Dota 2, Civ 5, Battlegrounds, iRacing, Path of Exile etc?

But not really sure how it's relevant to the topic anyway tbh.

see above

All these flavors and you choose to be salty?

Expected, but I guess it's slightly better than #PCMASTERRACE

Rellik

Amazing that we have gone a full page on Lister's comments about long install times on last generation consoles. That's what he was talking about. And he's correct. It was also one of many reasons for me getting a PC last gen. Going from a 360/PS3 to a SSD on PC was mind blowing.

But even if he meant current gen, yes they still take forever. No, you did not install a 40GB game in 10 seconds on your PS4. That's really naive to think the first part of the game is a full install.

I have a Pro and the full installs take a long ass time.

I also still have that PC and not much has been upgraded in that time, so threads like these are definitely interesting to me. Just a shame console warriors get so defensive.

00ich

You could easily flip this on its head and say "My mate sold me his PS4 for £50. There's no way a PC could match this price when it comes to value for money!"
No shit Sherlock.

Your mate gifted you ~150$ then. At 200-250$ a used PC vs a PS4 would be an interesting comparison.

Top Bottom