• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wtf is IS doing with the Wars series?

joelseph

Will we ever see another Wars game after Days of Ruin? Imagine how amazing it would be on the Switch. Local multiplayer, online play. Intelligent Systems is really dropping the ball with their best series.

Cerium

No one bought it.

May I interest you in Wargroove instead?

PoshDecimalDuckling-size_restricted.gif

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Days of Ruin sold poorly, along with the Battalion Wars games, where Fire Emblem really picked up, so IS stopped making them.

Deepwater

Days of Ruin was such a great direction the series needed to go in, I felt like if they tried one more time with a 3DS AW they would have struck gold like they did with Awakening

The Wart

Maybe they could revive it as Fire Emblem spin-off of sorts? A game with a combination of named heroes and produced, map-specific units and resource management could be interesting.

Ansatz

They doubled down on the Fire Emblem franchise because of its sudden growth to a somewhat mainstream appeal beyond its niche strategy fan status.

No one bought it.

May I interest you in Wargroove instead?

PoshDecimalDuckling-size_restricted.gif

That's damn sexy, and it's by the fine folks at Chucklefish of Starbound fame too! Platforms TBA but obviously including Switch: I'm guessing PC is a given but I wonder what else it'll be on.
Edit: Scratch that, it says TBA in their page but there's a blog post that says:
Wargroove, coming to PC, Nintendo Switch and Xbox One in 2017

joelseph

Maybe they could revive it as Fire Emblem spin-off of sorts? A game with a combination of named heroes and produced, map-specific units and resource management could be interesting.

Maybe Wargroove will sell enough to encourage them to do just this.

Now I'm off to S rank Sole Harbor.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Even if it's a random spinoff title and not a proper AW game, they should at least do something with the characters.

I'm playing through this right now. It is a very good mobile game and a near-identical clone of Advance Wars. Don't go in for the story, though.

Is there anything equivalent to COs? They were one of the fun parts of the Wars series (even in DoR).

But, and this is going to sound crazy, I bet we'll get a new Wars game on the Switch. And I don't mean Battalion Wars style either. Just watch

Mr_Moogle

Days of Ruin is a good game but it was totally unnecessary to change the visual style of the series. It just looks terrible compared to other installments.

As much as I love Fire Emblem I do kind of resent it's success because it lessens the likelihood of a new Advance Wars.

Deft Beck

Fire Emblem is much more marketable and successful, so they are focusing on that.

Wargroove fills the niche for now.

NeonZ

But, and this is going to sound crazy, I bet we'll get a new Wars game on the Switch. And I don't mean Battalion Wars style either. Just watch

Considering the way things are going, I think a FE spin off in a modern setting (so, limited personalized units, rather than generic soldiers with unique COs) is more likely than an actual AW game.

Considering the way things are going, I think a FE spin off in a modern setting (so, limited personalized units, rather than generic soldiers with unique COs) is more likely than an actual AW game.

There's no reason it needs to be related to FE at all. People here seem to be forgetting FE was on a downward spiral before Awakening. There's nothing fundamental about FE that makes it popular in a way AW can't be. AW has COs and Nintendo could put them more at the forefront. Make involve them more in the story, differentiate them more aside from CO powers and bonuses. This idea that FE's success means IS will never do another Wars game seems like people getting overly afraid because AW skipped ONE generation

wildfire

Banned
We discussed this already.

It will sort of get the Fire Emblem treatment. I'm personally sure it won't be a waifu husbando simulator but you'll feel a much greater closeness to your team with a The SIMS/Tamagatchi like experience.

Top Bottom