• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galak-Z dev: The PS4 controller (& Touchpad) will work on PC natively via USB

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Am I the only one that was so happy that it charges via Micro USB? Thank goodness! I'm so glad they stop using the standard USB and opt for micro. I have so many of them around the house, this was the best news for me
I was hoping they would have stuck with Mini USB. Micro just feels flimsy and I'm afraid I'll end up breaking the port in the controller after a year or two.

Tabular

Banned
This is very cool. I wonder, if both Xbone and PS4 both use open standards, could they use each others controllers as well?

Or not.

Not worth shitting up the thread over. Some people don't like the stick placement. Great. We know that. What on earth does that have to do with PC support? Sod all.

I agree. There always has to be one person to jump into a DS4 thread and talk about how he sticks are in the "wrong" position. Funny how the reverse never happens in Xbox One controller threads.

vio

Doesn`t mean much, games need to support it. Otherwise someone will have to make some custom driver to make it act as Xbox360 controller. Just how i use my DS3 at the moment.

Kyuur

If this is true I will buy a controller near launch (not console though).

Sony, do this and people who aren't even buying your console will give you $$$.

But when plugged in, the Xbone functions over USB.

The input is different. So they'll work on PC but not each other's platforms.

Doesn`t mean much, games need to support it. Otherwise someone will have to make some custom driver to make it act as Xbox360 controller. Just how i use my DS3 at the moment.

Neg, if it's using the same drivers they've used since the end of time, it'll work just fine. No muss no fuss

Kyuur

No, they won't need to support it. It's direct input, so you just map it to keyboard settings.

LQX

And MS like idiots wont even be releasing PC drivers for the XB1 controller until next fucking year. What a regression.

Tabular

Banned
The input is different. So they'll work on PC but not each other's platforms.

Neg, if it's using the same drivers they've used since the end of time, it'll work just fine. No muss no fuss

I figured as much.

But it'd be cool. Even if it wasn't 100% compatible with the different features. An Xbox owner could go to a PS4 owners place and use his preferred controller for COD or whatever. A guy can dream.

Finalizer

Welp, I'm erect.

boom.gif

Neo-Kutaragi Sony

I think Post-Kutaragi Sony would be more apt.

Orayn

Not true. This was the first thing I asked in the Playstation booth. It is indeed one click and one click only.

Are you sure it wasn't a misunderstanding? If it's got a single button under it and 2-point multitouch, multi-click should be possible.

Welp, I'm erect.

boom.gif

I think Post-Kutaragi Sony would be more apt.

You're totally right, hahaha. I originally typed "Neo-Sony" for that good good Akira vibe, but thought it might not be clear what I meant, so I added Kutaragi in a hurry...completely ruining the meaning, hahaha.

John_B

Are you sure it wasn't a misunderstanding? If it's got a single button under it and 2-point multitouch, multi-click should be possible.
All new touchpads are single button now. Click zones are handled purely by software. I guess the question is if the Windows driver is pre-configured with a right click zone, or will have a native interface to set it up.

tensuke

All new touchpads are single button now. Click zones are handled purely by software. I guess the question is if the Windows driver is pre-configured with a right click zone, or will have a native interface to set it up.

This is what I meant. It knows where you click it, therefore you can have left/right for a mouse or what have you.

pushBAK

I'm around 100% sure I heard the Sony rep right. I thought it was strange myself.

Side note, when I made the post to reddit about the galakz dev, another redditor responded that had access to the ds4. He said the touch pad click mapped to only a single button in widows.

tensuke

Side note, when I made the post to reddit about the galakz dev, another redditor responded that had access to the ds4. He said the touch pad click mapped to only a single button in widows.

It'd probably need extra software for touch mapping on PC, I wouldn't imagine it would be anything other than one solid button with basic drivers. As long as it works on PC at all, I'm excited.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm around 100% sure I heard the Sony rep right. I thought it was strange myself.

That post on reddit makes it sound like only the touchpad click is being recognized in Windows. Windows will need to recognize the touch input for the pad to work as multiple buttons. Sony or someone else will have to update the drivers to include the touch input data so the controller can also work as a mouse with multiple buttons.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Incredible news. I guess it's XInput then.

I'd hope so, as Xinput support would make it perfect for BPM -- most obviously everything that supports the X360 controller would support the PS4 controller also, but more to the point, the touchpad could be used to deal with game launchers that lack controller support.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hopefully this means that it can be used with PS3 too, it will be easier going back to games if I can still use the DS4.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Makes sense if you think about gaikai, and long term plans to stream playstation games to various devices, e.g. through a browser on PC.

jaypah

. Funny how the reverse never happens in Xbox One controller threads.

That's a pretty blatant lie. It happens in both threads with the occasional WiiU Pro mention.

Anyway, this is cool. Hope it really is no-fuss as the PS4 controller looks really comfortable. I was already hyped to try it at launch (bah, November is far) but if I can use it for my PC too? Yiss.

Hope someone can make this work as Xinput because all my games and emus are set up to work with Xinput and I'd like to plug either controller in and have it just work with no setup involved.
Sticks are still in the wrong spot.
tumblr_llgaeahjah1qiyqyfo1_500.gif

Sticks are in the same place they have been for all PlayStation dual analog controllers all the way back to the first one. Asymmetrical sticks being correct and symmetrical sticks being incorrect from an objective standpoint doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Top Bottom