• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided I Review Thread I I asked for this

GodisaGeek - 9/10

Eidos have crafted a truly emergent experience in a varied and intriguing universe that is always eager to reward your efforts either with XP, collectibles or Easter eggs. Besides a few fairly minor issues and some cracks in the paintwork, Mankind Divided is a hugely playable adventure in a world that will stick with you every time you log off. Beautifully grim, relentless captivating, and humanly flawed, this dystopian vision is a compelling, tightly-crafted experience.

Lime

I'm not saying Jensen has been incorrectly characterised himself, but that his situation in the game wasn't the best lens to hold up to oppression, and, more than that, the game wants every player choice to feel valid, so never actually draws any conclusions either way. The augmentation metaphor does not end up a searing, incisive one.

One of the many reasons going with Adam Jensen once again was a bad decision

The use of real-world history to give context to the segregation and prejudice in this world is heavy-handed—from “Augmented Lives Matter” slogans on posters to drinking fountains marked “augs” and “naturals”. It’s like the writers are constantly poking you in the arm and saying “Get it?”

pls god no

killercow

PC performance from that review:

http://www.pcinvasion.com/deus-ex-mankind-divided-review

PC Invasion will be running a stand-alone article looking at the specific PC options and performance in more detail on release day (certain irritating embargo rules prohibit me from doing this earlier). However, the short version is that Nixxes are on porting duties for this one and have a justifiably solid reputation for this kind of work. There are an extensive list of graphics options to alter and customise, support for borderless and exclusive fullscreen, MSAA, the ability, thank christ, to turn off the hideous sharpening and chromatic aberration effects that you see on all the canned promotional images I’m NDA-limited to using in this review, an FOV slider that takes the game’s field of view from the default (awful) to a much more acceptable level, and the list goes on.

You can substantially customise the HUD too, switching off things like waypoint markers, the mini-map, fading out your health when not in use, tweaking the scale of the HUD so that it’s 20% or 50% (or really any percent) smaller. Keys can be redefined. Mouse sensitivity altered. It’s a really strong transition to PC, where Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will without question look and run its best (quality of your PC permitting, of course). Performance-wise the game is said to still be undergoing optimisation, but I don’t expect radical changes between now and release.

On a system housing an i5-6600 / 16GB DDR4 RAM / 4GB 380X, Mankind Divided defaulted to High (out of Low/Medium/High/V. High/Ultra). That proved to be a little over-taxing for a consistent 60fps/1080p, but lowering Shadows to Medium and just putting up with a few fluctuations seemed to work out fine. With V-Sync off, tighter indoor areas were comfortably in the 50-70fps range. Most outdoor areas hovered closer to 45-60, with a few particularly geometry-heavy areas of Prague dipping briefly into the high 30s.

Forkball

Consensus seems to be that the gameplay is solid as is the art direction, but the story is lackluster and the advancements on HR are not as large as one would like. Seems like you would enjoy the game if you enjoyed HR, but if not the game may not have enough to sway you.

Raxanas

Neo Member
On a system housing an i5-6600 / 16GB DDR4 RAM / 4GB 380X, Mankind Divided defaulted to High (out of Low/Medium/High/V. High/Ultra). That proved to be a little over-taxing for a consistent 60fps/1080p, but lowering Shadows to Medium and just putting up with a few fluctuations seemed to work out fine. With V-Sync off, tighter indoor areas were comfortably in the 50-70fps range. Most outdoor areas hovered closer to 45-60, with a few particularly geometry-heavy areas of Prague dipping briefly into the high 30s.

If 380x can do OK at high,this might be ok!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Seems the main problems coming in are too much exposition is pushed through dialogue and, to the reviews, makes the game feel like a sloth at times.

I'll be curious if this actually bothers me, as I'm the type to read every single line of dialogue in a game and enjoy it. World building is why I play Deus Ex.

danowat

Banned
I had to recheck my achievements profile to make sure I played HR, I actually forgot I had played it, so I would imagine on the strength of that, this one is probably not for me!

Regginator

Oh it was, many thought this was going to be similar to Uncharted 4 review scores
Definitely not many, I'm infinitely more hyped for Mankind Divided than I was for Uncharted 4, but there's no way it would've gotten 93+. I'm hoping for 87/88. Would be a nice score.

Bitsnark

Neo Member
Hi guys,

Our review over at PlayStation Universe just went up too:

PSU.com - 9/10

Mankind Divided is a thoroughly satisfying Action RPG that understands how to make stealth play enjoyable, flexible and challenging. The design of its near-future world is remarkable, and the stories held within it are compelling. The only sour taste here is an ending at odds, and the slightest whiff of over-familiarity.

Dalibor68

Banned
Reviews not as good as I had expected. Reading the last paragraph in GameInformer's review makes me facepalm though. This "politics, lots of lore and techno babble" is exactly what I want in a Deus Ex game.

FelipeMGM

Definitely not many, I'm infinitely more hyped for Mankind Divided than I was for Uncharted 4, but there's no way it would've gotten 93+. I'm hoping for 87/88. Would be a nice score.

Similar, but not exactly the same :)

I expected 90/91 tbh based on how much previews were amazed by it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The use of real-world history to give context to the segregation and prejudice in this world is heavy-handed—from “Augmented Lives Matter” slogans on posters to drinking fountains marked “augs” and “naturals”. It’s like the writers are constantly poking you in the arm and saying “Get it?”

*eyeroll*

Belakor

Banned
Seems like it'll sit around 85 on metacritic,pretty good score.Would be a 90 overall if it wasn't for a weaker story than the previous one,at least that's what the reviews say

Top Bottom