• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross-buy for 3DS -> Wii U (but not vice-versa) now possible only in Europe

Guys don't you've seen all the layoffs in the industry?

Wanting to have consideration and having discounts is great but wanting all games' franchises to be cross buy between Wii U and 3DS is stupid in the long term... even for us.

Devs will just end making the exact same game on both system.

I'm ok for Color Zen to be cross buy (exact same game on both systems) even if it means less money for the dev so I'd be happy about it but if I like the game I'll buy it no matter what (on one system only).

Pushmo on Wii U has different levels so it's like a big add on. Being free could be good for us but it wouldn't be fair to the dev regarding the work done. 30% discount was ok for me.

SSBM is even more different since both games are really different. it's like you were asking for Mario Kart 8 to be free if you purchased Mario Kart 7 ?!?
Also Nintendo games are already way cheaper than games on other systems even on day 1 and I prefer to have specific discount like the free game we had with Mario Kart 8 ^^

So of course Nintendo won't do it and I'd rather have two very different separate games with other discounts or free games offer à la Mario Kart instead of having the same game on Wii U and 3DS for the price of one.

I think even if Nintendo's choice doesn't seem to be the best to everyone it's clearly not the worst. I'd rather them concentrate on making the best games rather than making the best promotions so they can sell more. Their job is to make great games... great games sell. If you concentrate on selling games then how can you expect making something that'll last?

At least be happy that other devs can offer what they were offering for PS Vita / PS3 (even if it won't happen a lot anymore since I don't see a lot of games coming on both PS4 and PS Vita...) on Nintendo systems.

Mithos

If People are selling their Wii U without unlinking their NNID first then that's their fault.

Still I get the feeling that once the Web version of the E-shop launches it will have the option of unlinking NNID.

1. People on this forum put that to a test, they registered an NNID on Hardware #1, unlinked it from Hardware #1, and then days/week later tried to use it on Hardware #2, didn't work.

2. They god damn better.

I think more people should be talking about the fact that your getting an absolutely amazing game on both systems if you take advantage of this deal. Instead of just being excited that its possible and begging for old games, take advantage of this deal and buy this game! It's really a great game and it deserves as much attention and love as possible!

Now if only this deal would come out in NA I would buy these games again :)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It seems like this has been around for a while, just no one took advantage of it.

yes, from the moment they linked the NNIND for 3DS and Wii U was conceptually possible. With Pushmo they showed the first actual advantage of the shared NNIND. This is the first actual time we see a proper cross-buy promotion on the consoles anyway

Chopper

So rather than confront the issue, Nintendo have taken a step back and relinquished all responsibility for this to the developer. I can respect that.

But this does suggest to me that there is no plan to implement this with their own games. And they can't exactly do it retroactively for the VC stuff.

Cuburt

Awesome. Wish I would have known about the Pushmo World discount. Might have pushed me (no pun intended) to get the game since I already have both on the 3Ds.

I understand why Shovel Knight wouldn't have cross-buy with each version having different features, but a discount would definitely make me double dip without question. Having beat the game, I'm not sure want to double dip at the moment (even though I'd really like to play the 3DS version) but some kind of promotion would be great.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Awesome. Wish I would have known about the Pushmo World discount. Might have pushed me (no pun intended) to get the game since I already have both on the 3Ds.

I understand why Shovel Knight wouldn't have cross-buy with each version having different features, but a discount would definitely make me double dip without question. Having beat the game, I'm not sure want to double dip at the moment (even though I'd really like to play the 3DS version) but some kind of promotion would be great.

At least in PAL, Pullblox world promotion is valid until the end of July. From their PR:
"launch of Pullblox World, Nintendo is holding special price promotions on Nintendo eShop. Pullblox and Fallblox for Nintendo 3DS and 2DS will be available at a discount for a limited time, while owners of either title can get a 30% discount on Pullblox World if they get it between 19th June (15:00 local time) and 31st July using the same Nintendo Network ID*
"

Cuburt

At least in PAL, Pullblox world promotion is valid until the end of July. From their PR:
"launch of Pullblox World, Nintendo is holding special price promotions on Nintendo eShop. Pullblox and Fallblox for Nintendo 3DS and 2DS will be available at a discount for a limited time, while owners of either title can get a 30% discount on Pullblox World if they get it between 19th June (15:00 local time) and 31st July using the same Nintendo Network ID*
"

Ah thanks. Only PAL? I guess I didn't miss it after all.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Good, but the real solution is not crossbuy.

The Nintendo account needs to be its own platform independent of hardware.

You buy nintendo, you play Nintendo. When compatible and available of course.

hEist

Chû Totoro;118886702 said:
You can drop one of the two and merge accounts, you won't loose you 3DS games.
I think I did something like that.

Or do I miss something? Nintendo NNID page

NoA != NoE
NoE is not going to unlink Wii U's at the moment (ever?). So pretty pointless for me this feature.

Davey Cakes

I wish they WOULD just apply this to the VC and then introduce a reimbursement program for anyone who bought both versions.

Feltrol

Banned
Good. Now do this for Super Smash Bros please.

1378364849131.gif

sörine

Banned
It's nice to know this is now possible and up to the publisher, at least for Europe. Hopefully NOA gets their policies in order to allow it too. Virtual Console for applicable systems (NES, PCE) would be great too but I'm not holding my breath.

Given the later EU release it'd also be a really nice gesture on the part of YCG if they did this for Shovel Knight in the region. It might piss off some backers who already bought across 3DS and Wii U but on the whole I think there'd be at least some sense of benefit for the delay. I also wonder if older titles like 1001 Spikes, MSF2 or Mutant Mudds can institute it now?

And why are people asking for Smash Bros crossbuy? I thought Sony only did it for indies and retro games? Are full retail titles like MLB or Borderlands 2 crossbuy?

Squidds is actually a pretty great little strategy game too. I wonder if this will work similarly in the US, only in reverse.

I have the Wii U version and would like the 3DS version free.

MicH

Obviously not going to happen, but a 10-20% discount off the Wii U one for purchasers of the 3DS version on the eShop would make me buy the 3DS version I'm still not sure about getting.
Yeah a discount seems likely if you buy both. Hopefully that happens

Obviously not going to happen, but a 10-20% discount off the Wii U one for purchasers of the 3DS version on the eShop would make me buy the 3DS version I'm still not sure about getting.
Based on past promotions, I'm expecting a pretty decent discount to encourage double dipping and eShop purchases. Fingers crossed for a third off like the Pikmin 3/W101 offer.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
If available here, I'd buy just to support that promo.
Hope it's not the last. What I really want this for is VC titles.

Weetrick

Shovel Knight! I had a lot of trouble deciding between WiiU and 3DS - I ended up with 3DS but would love to try out WiiU someday. I'm all for supporting great developers but I don't want to buy the same thing twice!

tav7623

Nice.........now they just need to go back and apply it retroactively to all eShop/VC games found on both the 3DS & Wii U such as Shovel Knight, Castlevania, etc.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Nice.........now they just need to go back and apply it retroactively to all eShop/VC games found on both the 3DS & Wii U such as Shovel Knight, Castlevania, etc.

at least, try so write down Nintendo games, if you pretend Nintendo to do that LOL

Haines

Banned
I don't understand why people feel entitled to get both versions of shovel knight. I don't feel that's fair to the devs at all.

I don't understand why people feel entitled to get both versions of shovel knight. I don't feel that's fair to the devs at all.

Because this occurs on IOS, Android, PSN. It's a requirement now. I've stopped purchasing Wii U and 3DS VC games that are on both systems. They can either start doing this or miss out on my hundreds of dollars from others just like me.

Writer

Neo Member
Good, but I want to see Nintendo actually do this before I believe they're really getting onboard with it.

Exactly. It's great if a few third party developers support this, but from what I've read, it's not nearly as easy to negotiate with Nintendo about how games are sold on the eShop. I'm sure it's changed a lot in the past few years, but they still don't offer the same flexibility as a services such as Steam.

Nintendo needs to make this easy for developers to implement and also support it with their own games. Cross-buy support for VC games would be great, too, but I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

Top Bottom