• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria: Azure Revolution |Import OT| Wild Armaments

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm sad :/ i've been trying to defend this game up and down for giving this game the benefit of a doubt, but it still seems to let everyone down regardless

ranmafan

I'm sad :/ i've been trying to defend this game up and down for giving this game the benefit of a doubt, but it still seems to let everyone down regardless

Well I haven't given up on the game yet myself, but I put it aside when I was able to get a PSVR. While I do get annoyed at the cutscenes, I don't hate the game really, but Im still way too early into it. Im going to try and put some more time into it this weekend if possible. Still I have less confidence it will get better than I did before reading more impressions the last few weeks.

Kysen

Sucks to be piling on as well but my experience with the game turned for the worse :/ I'm currently at the final chapter. I was really enjoying the combat up till mid way, constantly hoping that additional game mechanics/spells would be added. I am sad to report that after you've reached the first search light mission you've seen everything the game has to offer.

The game just falls apart at the seams. So many things taken from past games but have zero relevance here. Take for example the sandbags and cover in general. In past games enemies had crazy damage reduction in cover so you had to either blow it up wasting a turn or try and go for headshots. In this game you just run up to cover ignoring getting shot and just kill them anyway. Whole classes are worthless. In previous games if you wanted to take out tanks you either stack potentials and hit the weak spot or you brought tank busters (forgot name). This game everyone can carry launchers and the damage migitation the tank class has isn't worth dealing with the below cooldown issue.

I mentioned the bad AI in a previous post, it actually turns out that the real issue is that the AI is bound by the same action cooldown as you are. So when its on cooldown they just stand around as even auto attack isn't available. Its why when I started using haste field(increase action refill rate for all) all of a sudden my party starts doing way more damage. Did the devs even play their game? This issue could have been solved easily by either ignoring the cooldown for AI and reducing their damage to compensate or cutting the cooldown by 2/3.

There is zero strategy involved at all in the game and every encounter is a breeze but the huge difficulty spikes when fighting the valkyria/maxim bosses. Luckily the resurrection mechanic in this game is a joke and can be done forever as long as one person is alive. I have beaten every boss this way. Let the AI get 1 shot and just revive them.

Mission design is EXTREMELY repetitive, that in itself I don't mind if the loot is good (see MH) but spells are just renames with more damage.

You can see the budget cutbacks everywhere and its a shame as the game does look nice. Once I'm done with the story I won't be touching this game again. This game is going to get eviscerated when reviewed over here.

Pros:
-story (only reason i'm still playing it)
-characters
-first few hours of ARPG gameplay

Cons:
-zero animation on character faces = no expressions on anyone. Looks weird hearing dramatic dialog and seeing passive faces.
-no strategy required, just spam spells/auto attack/nades on cooldown. Grenade > launcher > rotate to another character and do it again = S Rank.
-mission design - same maps over and over
-all non explosive sidearms pointless.
-all side content missing voice (unacceptable for a ps4 game). Tales series has been full voice for how long now.
-AI as well as all classes but Scout crippled by action cooldown mechanic.
-Item crafting useless
-Half the cast useless as only enough materials to fill the skill trees of the mainstays.

:( I'm sad. I knew it was going to have issues but I didn't think they'd be this bad. I think I'll replay 1 again. Maybe I'll be happier after that.

So, anyone else here on the "They cut their losses when they figured this was a lost cause and just shat this out to recoup dev costs and moved on to a proper VC game" train?

What I'm worried about though is if that's true, is that when this game sells poorly in the west, it'll get in the way of VC4 localization. Just like with Yakuza: Dead Souls leading to a several years late Yakuza 5 localization.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So, anyone else here on the "They cut their losses when they figured this was a lost cause and just shat this out to recoup dev costs and moved on to a proper VC game" train?

What I'm worried about though is if that's true, is that when this game sells poorly in the west, it'll get in the way of VC4 localization. Just like with Yakuza: Dead Souls leading to a several years late Yakuza 5 localization.

Somehow I do not see that happening considering they green lighted this trainwreck in the first place. Seeing how they did it on the PS4 as the main platform shows that they were planning to have it be a "serious" title, though obviously it did not have the budget to back that up.

If anything would imagine that it hurts the value of the IP in the eyes of the investors who would wonder why they should shell out for another project when this one was a bit lackluster in overall sales and reception.

Somehow I do not see that happening considering they green lighted this trainwreck in the first place. Seeing how they did it on the PS4 as the main platform shows that they were planning to have it be a "serious" title, though obviously it did not have the budget to back that up.

If anything would imagine that it hurts the value of the IP in the eyes of the investors who would wonder why they should shell out for another project when this one was a bit lackluster in overall sales and reception.

Hey, it wouldn't exactly be the first time this kind of scenario has played out.

The Bureau ring any bells?

AND holy fuck that's actually a more apt comparison than I was thinking at first. Shit, don't both have the awkward "Pause wheel" thing going on as a shallow "We added tactical gameplay!" mechanic?

Look familiar, anyone?

The Bureau said:
766743-the-bureau-xcom-declassified-playstation-3-screenshot-special.jpg
Azure Revolution said:

Forget "Valkyria '06"

My new nickname for this is "The Bureau: Valkyria Declassified"

Seriously, can that please be the OT title for the localized release?

Like, this is so fucking apt. It's the same scenario for both Valkyria and XCOM going on here.

Action reboot of acclaimed strategy game gets revealed, gets eviscerated, remake (Remaster in VC's case) of first game is released first and everyone likes it, action game announced before gets released about a year later and is utterly eviscerated.

The only reason I'm in a good enough mood to say this is because they've since said that the Valkyria Chronicles series will continue regardless:

Told ya' so.

Nyoro SF

I wouldn't worry about localization chances, given that localization firms and overseas publishers are rabidly pursuing any projects they can get their hands on nowadays. I'd be more worried that Sega doesn't have the capability of making a true sequel to VC1 in all aspects.

And yes, given what I've read, played and viewed so far (both in-game and outside the game), they definitely cut their losses, dug in their heels and tried to recoup as much money as they could. DLC missions that are obviously cut from the final product to pad on profits aside, the amount of asset reuse is a huge black mark against this game.

Nyoro SF

I've never played the Bureau, but I'll check it out later to see comparisons lol.

Care to be more specific? Are you referring mainly to how most of the original team is no longer involved or something else?

It was just a basic comment on how if they can't make an appealing title in this instance, it becomes harder for me to trust them to make a title that captures the original appeal of VC1.

I've never played the Bureau, but I'll check it out later to see comparisons lol.

Like, seriously, they're both so similar in so many respects.

The circumstances surrounding them are the same.

They share several design decisions that were desperate appeals to look "strategic" to fans of the previous games by throwing in a Mass Effect ability wheel-and-pause.

And they're similarly hated in their release state.

And what pisses me off the most is that them mentioning "pause and play" made me think they were going to go with a Xenoblade/KOTOR/Dargon Aeg-ish combat system, not a janky melee-based clone of Mass Effect.

EDITO:

Can someone search through sales data and pull me up a comparison of VCRemastered sales vs Azure Revolution sales?

Huh, isn't it about time for some information on the western release to start coming out?

Like, doesn't this come out sometime between Persona 5 and YaKiwami?

Nyoro SF

Been a while. But I'll finally write my review.
Keep in mind this is for the PS4 version.
Pretext: I am not a professional reviewer, it's been weeks since I finished, and there might be errors.

GRAPHICS:

On this front I liked the presentation of the squad uniforms and the outfits of the enemy generals. The modeling of the enemies looked cool, too, including the mechanized bosses. The bad is really bad though. The ground, grass and stone textures look incredibly awful, directly from the low end of PS3 games. Textures for clothes outside the Anti-Valkyria Squad's lack almost any sort of detail.

Perhaps the biggest offender are just how weak the spell effects are. The effects are very weakly rendered, with many just a different color to represent elements; there are very few elemental renderings that look any good at all.

The faces and design of the men in the game look great, but the eyes of the women are too large, so they look alien-like. Normally this isn't a problem in Japanese games but the realistic head sizes and the realistic clothing proportions make the problem worse. NPCs have extremely little detail on their faces or none at all.

And on a final note, the amount of asset reuse in this game is nuts.

Sub-category of Animations: The battle animations are great for the most part. The ones that are weighty look weighty and the lighter attackers have appropriate light feel to their animations. The story animations though, are almost nonexistent. There's huge stretches of cutscenes where people are standing around talking to each other with almost zero dynamism in animation; incredibly boring. The brief moments where animations are used look really bad (in a hilarious way sometimes), like Amleth grinding his teeth.

Due to the obvious budget cuts there's dozens of times where NPCs address people with their backs to the camera, so that they don't have to render the eyes and lips of NPCs as they address our main characters. It looks just as cheap as it sounds. Despite this there are times where you will see eyeless, mouthless NPCs addressing some characters. This lack of animation even extends to the main street hub where shopkeepers stand around listlessly making the place look like a strange post-apocalyptic mannequin theater.

CUTSCENES:

These get a separate category since the game is 70% cutscenes / 30% game. These cutscenes aren't animated, they're real-time rendered by the game.

Hate to say it, but the cutscenes are for the most part poorly done. Many of them last any longer than they have a right to and to put it bluntly, aren't interesting whatsoever. I have no issue with the voice acting, but they should've done way more condensing of scenes, better pacing, and more animation. There's nothing particularly wrong with the story (I'll talk about that later), it's about middle of the road, but the cutscenes make it tearfully boring and the lack of animations makes almost everything they say carry no weight. Like they were content to just set characters down and then do nothing with them.

There are side story cutscenes called ”Community Events" that unlock if you use certain characters. These are actually lots of fun (some are really weird, good luck localizers). They did this strange vertical cut effect to show character models during these, but it looks really bad. They should have just done portraits again with stylized UI instead of the strange paper tear effects that look cheap and weird like someone stepped out of a parallel dimension to chat.

GAMEPLAY:

Unfortunately very flawed. Let me start by saying this; the AI, Artificial Intelligence, of your units, is complete and utter garbage and not fixed from the 2.0 demo. Your teammates will stand around like idiots when an enemy collapses and reveals their weak point, they'll get stuck on things constantly, walk in the wrong direction, attempt to engage enemies that are eons away even with the team prompts like Buddy or Force to stick together. You'll issue a direct order using the command wheel and they'll ignore it for 7+ seconds. I could go on, but it's unsalvageable and you'll basically have to play the game like a single-unit action game and just hope your teammates aren't dumb enough to get hit.

Enemy AI isn't much better. They're good at attacking together at first, but once you separate them and learn some easy neutralization strategies they become totally helpless. Probably the only thing that's truly consistent is hyper armor during rage.

The entire success rate of your squad is based on the ATB cooldown meter. Because of that, you want to prioritize it as much as possible. Combine this with the neutralization strategy towards enemy forces and there's no reason to use any defensive fighters or slow heavy hitters. To make the problem worse, the slower heavy hitting characters have bad hitboxes. Godot, Tilda, and Daryl all have problems where the pushback of their weapons actively work against them and cause their forced combos to whiff.

They repeated the mistake from past Valkyria games where some characters have potentials so bad it's tough to justify using them or potentials so good that you almost have to use them to defeat the huge HP sponge bosses. This mistake is iterated so badly that there's a story event in the game where Amleth and Ophelia unlock their own strong potentials, making these two already top tier characters two of the unquestioned best.

Certain types of magic attacks are locked to certain characters and their weapons, so many fighters are locked out of the best attack magic forcing you even further into the Amleth/Ophelia/Sara/Random team formation. This is actually a really big problem! Most of the attacks exclusive to shield users are just absolutely awful.

Enemies and sandbags are placed slapdash all over the field with extremely little thought, and the simplicity of placing explosive barrels next to everything is insulting to a player's intelligence. The constant ”cutscene reinforcement call-in" is cheap and basically removes what little area strategy the game has... which is terrible considering that as a party ARPG it's simple enough already.

A lot of the leveling in this game feels totally unnecessary or badly balanced. This game has no active character leveling, so you get no satisfaction from beating up enemies that are tougher than you while underleveled; all levels are awarded after the mission is over. To add insult to injury, when reaching the last 10% of the game, VAR pushes the level of enemy bosses incredibly far outside of your reach, forcing you to grind an annoying amount of free missions in order to deal any decent amount of damage, which might be the most mind numbing thing I've done this year.

In order to level up your magic or physical attack power, you have to sacrifice magic itself using these huge character skill trees. The problem is that magic doesn't award enough leveling points, meaning that you are forced to tunnel your leveling towards few, specific characters, otherwise your rewards go to waste and gives you less magic to play around with. One of the last missions of the game forces you to use almost all the characters from your squad, meaning your horribly underleveled and underequipped characters now have to fight a boss and mooks that are 20 levels above them.

From a basic ARPG standpoint it's functional, but it kind of stops there. I don't expect highly intellectual combat from a party ARPG of all things, but there's very little depth to the combat at all. The best tactic is just to catch enemies by surprise, overpower them quickly and get your morale bar maximized as quickly as possible. Your mission rank judges you on time and enemies killed (so they finally adjusted the ranking system for the series) but this forces the balance towards characters with the fastest damage output instead of just speed.

Being forced to play free missions just so that you can do normal damage during main missions is dumb game design. Initially this wasn't the case, but it became this way around 75% in. Free missions should be like they were in previous games where they existed for users who wanted to grind out and feel like gods in the battlefield. Here they're required if you don't want to suffer doing 100 damage per hit to 20000HP bosses.

Bosses: The number of reused bosses is crazy. You will fight the giant scorpion way too many times. You will fight the Valkyria way too many times. You will fight Maxim too many times (thank god he's weak to paralysis). To top off the horrible balancing of it all, bosses are huge HP sponges for no reason (and nearly all of them are immune to status effects or recover too fast from them to be worth it). Thanks to this, these fights last F O R E V E R. My battle against the mechanical snake boss took almost 30 minutes, as one example; and this was with a fully decked out Sara launching nukes and Amleth shredding out huge amounts of raged damage. The bosses have very little strategic approach, and you will spend more time reviving your dumb allies ignoring the ”Defend" command than doing anything of strategic value.

The game has a tiny number of battle maps and they are reused heavily. The maps have extremely little strategic design, with most being corridors with soldiers haphazardly plastered over the area. There are brief cool moments with enemies lying in wait using elevation to their advantage or hiding for ambushes, but extremely rare. Story missions lose their punch when they use the same map and setup over and over. The reused maps rival VC2 in terms of repeated use.

STORY:

The story premise is actually an interesting one. And the themes they discuss are interesting as well. However everything is so cheaply presented it lacks any punch. There's one scene in the game where a villain comments that Amleth lacks conviction, then proceeds to make his entire getaway off-screen while Amleth stands 5 feet (1.5m) from him. That sort of thing. Stuff like a captain deliberately issuing impossible orders causing someone to die, or war propaganda population manipulation, or a female spy tricking men into dropping all their intel, only for the information to be a trap... interesting ideas, right? But because of the cheap presentation, it really dilutes what should be interesting scenes. Add that with conversations that last way too long for the situations they're in and the complete package is lacking.

One major problem I want to mention is permadeath. Because they really wanted to have permadeath in this game, the Anti-Valkyria Unit can't have any participation in the story. They're barely there outside of community events, so the story largely focuses on the 5 Sinners and Ophelia (and her royal guard). This is a big waste considering that the AVU has fun characters in it that are more interesting than the Sinners, heh. Permadeath worked fine in VC1 because they had a good strong focus on the main characters who all contributed something to the main story or to important characters (plus it helps that they were largely on the battlefield together for scenes). But in this game it's not interesting because the 5 Sinners hardly do anything of interest at all due to their roles unless you count sitting around a table talking ”interesting".

The game tries to make a big deal out of Maxim and him surrendering his country to the Empire, but this character overstays his welcome by about 8 chapters; his country and his story don't align with the main storyline of the Sinners and their revenge at all, so the rivalry setup doesn't work as motivation.

Because the scope of notable characters is so low, the twist of the story halfway in is stupidly easy to guess too, which is pretty disappointing.

Also, the ending is rather bleh, a culmination of the cheap presentation the game has to offer and obviously cut off early with very little grace.

MUSIC:

One of the few bright spots in this game, Mitsuda delivers excellent tracks.
The entire soundtrack is stellar and standout, with great themes throughout.
You will be better served buying the soundtrack than the game.

RANDOM JUNK THAT PERHAPS ONLY I CARE ABOUT:

-Where are the tanks man? Is it really a Valkyria game without a single vehicle? If it's a fantasy game, can't I at least ride one of the beasts, or a super magic tank?
-The game's main starting point is the teacher and her student. To progress the game you have to select the teacher (Richter). However if you want to view extra cutscenes or view your progress you have to select the student. But there's no notifications whatsoever that you have extra cutscenes unlocked, so if you want to make sure you're following cutscenes in context, you have to select the student every time and watch the animations of the book opening and closing over and over again. Also the chapter selection has no wraparound scrolling.
-Why on earth is there no notification on the menu when a new Community event unlocks? You have to go into the Community menu each time to check.
-Why doesn't the clothing store have an ”equip" option like every RPG in the past 6 years? I really don't enjoy backing in and out of menus to assign clothing.
-The chest opening animation is too slow, the rewards are very sad, and you can't skip the animation. Also you are forbidden from opening it if enemies have noticed you; what the hell kind of logic is that?
-On that note, why on earth is Save/Load/Return to Richter on a separate menu from the command menu that has everything else? Redundancy much?
-Why does the framerate randomly drop into the 10s for no reason? Happened like once every 8 missions or so in areas without that many enemies. Wasn't a consistent enough problem to be completely annoyed by it, but it was really strange when it happened.
-Why can I not pick Amleth's starting point on the main street? It's shaped like an H, but you can only start in the lower left corner. It makes certain shops really annoying to repeatedly access.
-Why on earth does the character select (Personnel Files) not have wraparound scrolling?
-Why is there a UI delay every time you change characters in the Battle Palette menu? This makes switching around magic for characters a big chore the farther you are from Amleth on the menu. Protip for UI designers; assigning character items at all points during your game should be snappier than a snapping turtle!
-Why not just directly tell me how much RP a magic piece will get me? Instead I have to play stupid adding games when unlocking the character skill tree. Having no overflow choices is really restrictive and is poor design given how character trees are unlocked.
-Not remembering my position in the magic menu after I use magic to unlock character trees!
-Around halfway through the game, the mission briefing music changes to the boss battle music, and it is LOUD! The audio is out of balance somehow, and I had to lower the volume on my monitor around halfway every time it came on. I can't tell if this was a personal problem on my end or the game's problem...
-Is it really necessary to make the Battle Palette only available and configurable from the factory/briefing menu? I get the limitation in Valkyria Chronicles because the whole game's customization is menu-based, but really, there's no reason for it to be like that in this game.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

Like I said when this game was revealed, this game should be judged on what it is claimed to be and not what it isn't. Anyone that says ”this is no Chronicles game" or issues demerits based on comparisons to Chronicles should be entirely dismissed. And so I waited until the final product came out and could give a real ultimatum without being tied up into what the game is and isn't. And the final ultimatum is that the game is a cheap piece of junk not worth your time and not because it was or wasn't a Chronicles game.

Sega has a lot of guts to charge 1300 yen for a season pass of DLC right after selling this unfinished product for full price. Sega is also very fortunate that this game managed to sell 70k+ in Japan and not do a lot worse. They could learn a lot of lessons from smaller companies that have to work hard to earn their fans and their reputation instead of trying to make off like dishonest bandits once things started to go sour pre-release.

I feel as if many of the problems was lack of a coherent vision for what they wanted to make. Initially they stated that they wanted to make a magic fantasy game with slight warfare elements (with the line about people transforming into tanks). However they kept normalizing more and more of the game and moved farther away from fantasy and magic. In the end the presence of magic is hardly touched upon plot-wise, so it felt like I was playing a very weak war ARPG with magic and fantasy just kind of tacked on. Example: the enemy empire basically never uses magic against you, just guns, basic weaponry and mechanical bipedal units. It's only way later in the game when units with special rifles that shoot magic come out, but it's something that's hardly noticeable amidst the massive amounts of foot soldiers using normal weaponry.

The second major issue was Sega's reaction to the fan reaction. Sticking to your guns and actually building a separate world that you promised and a battle system that you gushed over would've definitely resulted in a more polished product. I understand everyone was at their throats and their vision wasn't the greatest, but I still think we could've gotten a way better game than what we got.

Now all we have left is this poorly executed unfinished unfun game which your North American team now has to sell to us. Looks like the Valkyria series can't catch a break.

3/10.

Wonder if Sega/Atlus is having serious reservations about localizing this now - It's been four months since this was announced before the Japanese release for "Spring 2017" in the west and we've heard nothing else in the four months since post-Japanese release, with us already in Spring.

Wonder if they're going to do the localization on-the-cheap with no dub and just send it out to die or just cancel it (Or indefinitely delay it like PSO2) and eat the PR hit from announcing it for localization before they had any idea what mess they were getting themselves in to.

But seriously though, this doesn't just reflect poorly on the Valkyria series - This reflects poorly on Sega as a whole and flies in the face of the new CEO's statements that Sega would be a company of quality above quantity this gen and that the mistakes of Sonic '06 would not be repeated.

...Brace for Valkyria '06 people.

I'm going to be so fucking pissed though if Azure Revolution costs us the rumored Chronicles 3 remake - Or worse, the Chronicles 3 remake ends up being a thing but gets skipped for localization because of Azure Revolution. Unless of course the VC3 remake ends up being bad too in which case we can just write-off Media.Vision as just another Has-Been like Tri Ace.

Tohsaka

Wonder if Sega/Atlus is having serious reservations about localizing this now - It's been four months since this was announced before the Japanese release for "Spring 2017" in the west and we've heard nothing else in the four months since post-Japanese release, with us already in Spring.

Wonder if they're going to do the localization on-the-cheap with no dub and just send it out to die or just cancel it (Or indefinitely delay it like PSO2) and eat the PR hit from announcing it for localization before they had any idea what mess they were getting themselves in to.

But seriously though, this doesn't just reflect poorly on the Valkyria series - This reflects poorly on Sega as a whole and flies in the face of the new CEO's statements that Sega would be a company of quality above quantity this gen and that the mistakes of Sonic '06 would not be repeated.

I wouldn't worry about it. They are probably waiting to announce a release date/market it until after Persona 5 is out, and spring has just started.

I wouldn't worry about it. They are probably waiting to announce a release date/market it until after Persona 5 is out, and spring has just started.

What incentive does Atlus have to put care into localizing this game though? Pretty much every impression of this game has been negative, and everything points to this being blatant Kusoge on the tier of Langrisser Re: Incarnation -TENSEI-

Every dollar spent localizing this is effectively burnt money - And unlike other risky localizations that don't really bring much money in (Like Yakuza) this one doesn't exactly build much good-will or faith in Sega, and will ultimately damage the Valkyria brand, if not Sega's brand as a whole like Sonic '06 did.

No amount of good localization can save this game unless they go all-in on a Ghost Stories inspired dub and try to push the game as satire.

Nyoro SF

I don't think they're worried or have reservations; companies are starving for titles to localize right now, and you can turn a nice profit even on games that sell middling numbers. Localization bid wars have become a shark tank thanks to the decreasing amount of titles coming out of Japan.

I believe they are intentionally delaying Revolution, whose localization is likely already completed given that cert is complete, to make sure it doesn't get lost in the wave of Spring releases, including the standout and excellent Persona 5. I predict a mid or late May release.

They already promised dual audio, so an English dub is already in the game. Dunno if they cheaped out or not, but we'll see. Hope JYB voices Amleth.

I agree that it does make Sega look bad. That being said, the title still sold below-average numbers in Japan and didn't bomb completely hard despite the reviews. People either must really like ARPGs, or people were really hoping the game would be good, or maybe demos are the secret way to appeal to Japanese gamers, I dunno.

This title ain't no 06 though, it fails for different reasons. Sonic 06 had big technical problems, this game's biggest technical failure is the AI, which is a sort of different beast of awfulness. The real major problem that permeates this game from start to finish is just how cheaply made everything is; for the most part everything operates correctly, it's just bad-looking, lame and not fun.

Z3M0G

Have been anticipating this release, which is now only a few days away, so checked Youtube for any new reviews. Nothing except Import reviews from months ago.

It's a shame how terrible it sounds... a reviewer I just watched really enjoyed the story/characters/etc but the gameplay sounds like a completely broken mess...

Why... WHY... couldn't they have just made this a small squad turn based battle system... It feels like if this had a PC version, it could easily be modded into a much superior game by making it turn-based.

I've been starving for a new Vita game, and while there seems to be so many releasing in the next few months, they are almost all disappointing... I really hope there is a diamond in the rough... with all these JRPGs, at least one of them must be good, right?

zeromcd73

Oh, the western release is finally happening this week?

Curious to see if it will metacritic in the 60s or drop below in the 50s or lower.

This here is going to be a beautiful trainwreck.

No review copies, no E3 presence, no English trailers or PR since announcement at all, $40. Even Sega knows this is a dud.

I've been starving for a new Vita game, and while there seems to be so many releasing in the next few months, they are almost all disappointing... I really hope there is a diamond in the rough... with all these JRPGs, at least one of them must be good, right?

Get Tokyo Xanadu next week.

I have a discounted pre-order for this, and I admit I'm still curious to play the game, even if mostly from a "how bad will this trainwreck be" perspective.

Whatever, either way, this better not impact the localization chances of any future games in the series like the previous trainwreck to get localized in this series did. Especially when bloody Yakuza is getting regularly localized now.

Guymelef

This here is going to be a beautiful trainwreck.

No review copies, no E3 presence, no English trailers or PR since announcement at all, $40. Even Sega knows this is a dud.

I don't know what were they thinking releasing this game on western markets knowing it's shit.

That money would have been nice for Yakuza Ishin...

Nyoro SF

I think people might be getting the wrong idea. Think of it like this:

The worst crime a game can commit is to be boring.

Broken games can still be fun games. Even if you have to resort to jokes and memes to have fun with the game. Hence the nonstop jokes about scouts in VC1, including webcomics and such. The critical flaw of Azure Revolution is that it's so tearfully boring on top of all the asset reuse that it has no fun potential. Because of that it's a huge disappointment.

Also some dude uploaded footage early (likely against NDA). The English voice acting in my opinion is pretty hilarious. Listen to Ophelia.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/153053013

Broken games can still be fun games. Even if you have to resort to jokes and memes to have fun with the game. Hence the nonstop jokes about scouts in VC1, including webcomics and such. The critical flaw of Azure Revolution is that it's so tearfully boring on top of all the asset reuse that it has no fun potential. Because of that it's a huge disappointment.

Also some dude uploaded footage early (likely against NDA). The English voice acting in my opinion is pretty hilarious. Listen to Ophelia.

This has dual audio, right?

Please?

EmiPrime

I have a discounted pre-order for this, and I admit I'm still curious to play the game, even if mostly from a "how bad will this trainwreck be" perspective.

This isn't one of those "so bad it's good/entertaining" kusoge like Sonic 2006, it's an irredeemably boring waste of time.

Shiiit I was really hoping this would be awesome! I'm a huge fan of the original Valkyria Chronicles, so much that I'm probably one of the very few who imported the Collectors Edition from Japan with the little Edelweiss tank.

I have this on pre-order, I can tell you guys are fans of the series too but gezzsus this is a sad bunch of posts in this thread. I know I may regret it but I think I still have to try it for myself.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I’ve been debating pre-purchasing this on PSN but all the impressions are scaring me off, as much as I want to support the series (and Sega for actually bringing it to the west)

soooo...I bit the bullet and pre-ordered it (though it only cost less than 30 shipped), while I'm still really not sold on the game, figured give it a shot when it arrives and if anything the cd and pin are just neat bonuses. Should be here on Monday according to Best Buy.

Still rather have a new Valkyria Chronicles, who knows if that will ever happen since this bombed in Japan and is going to meet the same fate here.

Edit: watching the clips now...yea, I'm not liking the story thus far, the voice direction is meh too.

Those are some loooong cutscenes. Is the girl with the top that's about to burst Cherami Leigh? It's about an hour in

I actually thought The Bureau was pretty decent. A shame to hear about this game, as I was looking forward to another solid JRPG. Oh well, more time for FFXII.

Top Bottom