• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Ron Howard officially directing Han Solo after Lord/Miller firing

Also, you wanna know what I think will be a funny twist:

Howard gets in there, looks at the mountain of footage they shot, all the decisions available from the multitude of takes

..and basically makes what Lord & Miller was going to make anyway.

He's just better at selling it to the people in charge.

firelogic

They have Frozen 2 positioned as the de facto family holiday film of 2018. There is winter vacation overlap on spending for these films if Han Solo moved to December.

What you are describing is a risk. What they are churning is incredibly safe and moneymaking.

I don't think it's a huge risk because they'll still be in the Star Wars universe and they can easily chop the budgets down compared to the mainline movies. The "A Star Wars Story" line of films don't need to make $1B each. Of course Disney is a business and they want to make the sure bet but come on, they can take on a little bit of risk and give us something new that they could potentially spin out into another cash cow. To ease audiences in, you can do a Jedi/Sith movie that doesn't involve any known characters or have lesser known characters so you can have the lightsaber battles and force powers. There's a lot of potential out there. I secretly want this Han Solo movie to fail commercially so they rethink their existing plan with the side-stories.

Remember when everyone said Rogue One was going to be ruined by the studio reshoots trying to change the vision to fit the brand? But it turned out good?

I personally didn't think it turned out well. It wasn't bad but it wasn't good either save for a handful of things. The main gripe I had was the lack of interesting characters. The movie told me why I should think they were interesting but I never got attached to any of them. Maybe that's just a problem with me but that's how I felt watching it. I didn't care if they failed or succeeded, lived or died. I think the re-shoots completely changed Jyn's character from being a snarky rebellious woman to a completely blank slate.

Toa TAK

Banned

Howard gets in there, looks at the mountain of footage they shot, all the decisions available from the multitude of takes

Off the top of my head: Kinda like with Ant-Man at the scriptwriting stage? Took some of Wright's ideas and incorporated them into the final product?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Remember when everyone said Rogue One was going to be ruined by the studio reshoots trying to change the vision to fit the brand? But it turned out good?

Well it certainly didn't make for a great movie. It felt very much like a reshot and cut together film from start to finish, especially how the last act of the movie completely changes Jyn's character. And the entire plot of the film falls apart in nearly every way once you spend half a second thinking about any of it and the entire cast is devoid of any sense development, progression or personality.

It's an entertaining watch for sure, by today's blockbuster standards, so it's no surprise people liked it, but I would hardly call it even a good movie. It's fun spectacle and not much else. Hard to say if the original product would have been any better, but reshoots didn't exactly make it all good.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

You mean when everyone said the studio was trying to make a dark movie more light-hearted and were completely wrong? Yep, I remember.

Batjag

Well at this point, strangely enough, I think the power on this film has now shifted. I don't think Ron Howard is going to come in with any strange demands or anything, but, if there are any conflicts, there is no way that Lawrence Kasdan is able to muscle Ron Howard around.

It's such a shitty task to come in at the end of the shoot and try to make sense of it all. Howard can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Well at this point, strangely enough, I think the power on this film has now shifted. I don't think Ron Howard is going to come in with any strange demands or anything, but, if there are any conflicts, there is no way that Lawrence Kasdan is able to muscle Ron Howard around.

Hah, yeah, I just tweeted something just like that. Imagine Lawrence Kasdan trying to pull the same shit on Ron Howard that he just pulled on Lord & Miller. That ain't happening. Hell, Kasdan probably wouldn't even try, for multiple reasons. It probably wouldn't even occur to him.

Hari Seldon

I don't understand people shitting on Ron Howard for Inferno. I just watched it, and the "bad" parts about it were entirely 100% Dan Brown related lol. The filmmaking part of it was fine.

Ron Howards' career has officially come full circle. One of his most famed roles was in American Graffiti, directed by George Lucas and also featuring Harrison Ford.

Now, he gets to direct a film about a character Lucas created and brought to life by Ford.

Also, he's apparently re-doing the whole film? Yeah, no way this is coming out Summer 2018.

Rookhelm

stolen from Facebook, but hilarious nonetheless:

If this movie doesn't begin with Kylo Ren stabbing Han with a freeze frame and narrative by Harrison Ford- "You're probably wondering how I got here" then they're not doing it right

Blader

Why are people talking about Frozen 2? That movie is coming in 2019.

Hard to imagine Disney being able to keep the May date for this movie, but at the same time, Aquaman has already staked out the traditional December Star Wars slot for next year (and the animated Spider-Man right next to it). That audience might be much too similar to push Han Solo into the same window.

Good choice.

Time to take a look at what the experts like Kyle Newman, Jason Swank, Jimmy Mac, Kristian Harloff, John Campea have to say.

What in th—

D1NiZuZ.gif

You almost got me you motherfucker you

bengraven

Can you imagine being on the set, scared and "rattled", and suddenly in walks Ron Fucking Howard.

Opie would make everything better.

Via...stegosaurus.

Ron Howard is a competent director who will be able to assemble the movie well and in the way Lucasfilm wants. There may be some debate here about his vision but I don't think there's any debate about his proficiency, which is more relevant in this situation since this will remain mostly a L&M movie. The majority of his influence will be in editing. He's a fine choice for a last minute cleanup job. I just hope that the original vision for the movie is tweaked rather than suppressed.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't understand people shitting on Ron Howard for Inferno. I just watched it, and the "bad" parts about it were entirely 100% Dan Brown related lol. The filmmaking part of it was fine.

Agreed. It's not a Suicide Squad level dumpster fire. The source material just isn't that strong. You have the main character suffering from a head injury, so he's off his game. And the female lead is a charisma black hole. There really isn't anyone to punch it up a little.

I liked the Jump Street films well enough. But people are being ridiculous saying they're better directors than Howard.

matt360

Do you think KK even knows what kind of film she wants? Lord/Miller to Howard's a bit of a jump.

I think she trusts Larry, and he sure as hell knows what he wants.

What I want to know is why the writers and directors of the main trilogy films seemingly enjoy complete creative freedom whereas the side films seem to be the opposite. Is that freedom Rian has been tweeting about just an illusion?

jett

D-Member
Do you think KK even knows what kind of film she wants? Lord/Miller to Howard's a bit of a jump.

More lightsabers
More stormtroopers
More X-wings
More Tie Fighters
More Millenium Falcon
More unnecessary references to old shit from previous movies

You know, more Star Wars. Cuz that's all Star Wars is it seems.

Batjag

Hah, yeah, I just tweeted something just like that. Imagine Lawrence Kasdan trying to pull the same shit on Ron Howard that he just pulled on Lord & Miller. That ain't happening. Hell, Kasdan probably wouldn't even try, for multiple reasons. It probably wouldn't even occur to him.

Yes, and thinking it through, Kasdan may have even screwed himself over.

It sounds like Kasdan was in position as "most trusted advisor" to Kathleen Kennedy.
I think Ron Howard just took that away from him.

What I want to know is why the writers and directors of the main trilogy films seemingly enjoy complete creative freedom whereas the side films seem to be the opposite. Is that freedom Rian has been tweeting about just an illusion?

I think it a because in the long run there will be way more spin-offs than Skywalker Saga movies. They will probably ice the Episodes after 9 for a decade or so and continue to produce spin-offs. So the Star Wars brand will have to be represented by the Spin-offs. They can't afford to have missteps there.

It's likely somewhere in the middle. Maybe Rian has so much control because KK liked his approach to the film. If he wanted to kill off all the characters and do some weird alternate reality shit I bet his creative control would have disappeared rather quickly.

mcfrank

I trust Kennedy. She has lead two great Star Wars movies in two years, so I am giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Batjag

It's likely somewhere in the middle. Maybe Rian has so much control because KK liked his approach to the film. If he wanted to kill off all the characters and do some weird alternate reality shit I bet his creative control would have disappeared rather quickly.

Yes, it's likely that the sense of creative freedom that Rian felt was because there was no conflict in approach. He was "coloring inside the lines" as far as KK's idea of what the film should be.

bill0527

L&M were apparently given as much freedom as they wanted. So much so, that the writer and producer thought they were driving the bus over the side of the cliff.

lol I like this.

This movie is going to somehow end up feeling more corporate and by the numbers than Rogue One and TFA.

TFA felt like an Abrams film through and through, but oh my god R1. The first two-thirds of that movie really felt like a tug-of-war between the studio and the director on just what the fuck they wanted the film to be. Its only by the last third that it feels like the studio said "fine, have it your way" and we got what the creative heads wanted hence the grimdark ending.

Still enjoyed the film, but that first half was a mess of pacing and character intros.

ryseing

More lightsabers
More stormtroopers
More X-wings
More Tie Fighters
More Millenium Falcon
More unnecessary references to old shit from previous movies

You know, more Star Wars. Cuz that's all Star Wars is it seems.

ATSTS ATSTS

I despise South Park but they were dead on with the member berries stuff.

DOWN

Banned
Good is a matter of opinion.

Also, they didn't FIRE Gareth Edwards.

Changing directors so far in feels a bit more severe. Is there even a precedent for this?

I wonder how well the tone of the edit and what was actually filmed will match up.

I think it was shoddily edited and jarring as all fuck in terms of scene transition, pacing, sometimes tone.

A lot of my criticism of that film I'm happy to lay at Edwards' hand - the charisma vacuum of the two lead performances - and general franchise blockbuster stuff - the best actor in the cast, Mendelsohn, getting shoved aside for CGI Tarkin and pointless Vader - but I can imagine my issues with its cohesiveness and flow stem from the fact different directors worked on it.

Well it certainly didn't make for a great movie. It felt very much like a reshot and cut together film from start to finish, especially how the last act of the movie completely changes Jyn's character. And the entire plot of the film falls apart in nearly every way once you spend half a second thinking about any of it and the entire cast is devoid of any sense development, progression or personality.

It's an entertaining watch for sure, by today's blockbuster standards, so it's no surprise people liked it, but I would hardly call it even a good movie. It's fun spectacle and not much else. Hard to say if the original product would have been any better, but reshoots didn't exactly make it all good.
Ok and we're not forgetting that the vast majority of viewers, both audience and critic, Gave the film poisitive reviews? that it was one of the best reviewed movies of the year?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves over changes in creative vision here. Lucasfilm seems to know what they are looking for so far.

Ok and we're not forgetting that the vast majority of viewers, both audience and critic, Gave the film poisitive reviews? that it was one of the best reviewed movies of the year?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves over changes in creative vision here. Lucasfilm seems to know what they are looking for so far.
People are voicing their opinions countering it with "it was well reviewed" is pointless.

I thought R1 was shoddy.

Instro

Frankly Lord and Millet didn't seem like a particularly good fit, or have the directing chops, for this kind of movie.

Top Bottom