• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

RBH

EXCLUSIVE: Gaumont International Television and Netflix may soon be re-teaming for a drama series about notorious Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar. GIT is producing one of Netflix’s first original series, Eli Roth’s monster thriller Hemlock Grove, which premieres April 19. Now the U.S.-based production arm of European feature studio Gaumont has teamed with another feature director, Brazilian-born Jose Padilha, for Narcos. The series will chronicle the life and death of Escobar, the ruthless boss of the Medellin Cartel and a known terrorist who was also a congressman, a family man and revered by the poor as a new Robin Hood. Padilha, on whose idea the project is based, is slated to oversee and direct the 13-episode first season, which is eying a 2014 debut on Netflix. Doug Miro & Carlo Bernard (Sorcerer’s Apprentice) are writing. Eric Newman (Children Of Men) will executive produce.

Padilha, whose gritty Elite Squad thrillers were big box office hits in Brazil, is making his Hollywood directing debut with Sony/MGM’s upcoming RoboCop reboot. Newman has worked with both GIT and Padilha and likely helped get them together — he serves as executive producer on Hemlock Grove and producer on RoboCop. In addition to the Famke Janssen-starring Hemlock Grove, which is wrapping production, GIT also is finishing filming drama series Hannibal for NBC and is working on its Barbarella series, which is already garnering strong interest from U.S. networks.

Netflix is in the midst of a major expansion into original series with House Of Cards, which just launched, and the upcoming Hemlock Grove, Ricky Gervais’ Derek and a new season of Arrested Development.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/net...s-from-gaumont-international-tv-jose-padilha/

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added Today:

Curse of the Puppet Master (Horror)
Elvis - Summer of '56 (Documentary)
Favorite Son (Drama)
A Gentleman's Game (Drama)
Headhunter (Horror, Supernatural)
John Wooden: Values, Victory (Special Interest, Basketball)
Stellina Blue (Drama)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
i want to see fun B rated movies.Please recommend some.

You want some 'so bad its good' films, or films that are considered b movies?

Otto; or, Up With Dead People
BloodRayne/BloodRayne: The Third Reich
Rampage
Rubber
ThanksKilling
Poultrygeist: Night of the Chicken Dead
Rumpelstiltskin
Shrooms
Troll 2
Tactical Force
Death Race 2

Crack open a beer, sit back, and watch these great comedies.

RedAssedApe

Banned
The trailer has been in the OP since the start of the thread. ;p

I got a AHS/supernatural vibe from the trailer. Its another show I want to check out when it hits streaming.

I swear I searched "Hemlock" before posting. But yeah clearly I didn't read the OP LOL

gabbo

I don't know if it's been mentioned in here (i only occasionally pop in), but a German film called Transfer (2010) is worth a watch.

Nameless

akkuratnii-chelovek-trigger-m-24.jpg

Now I remember why the boss fight with The End in MGS3 was so blood curdling. Meanders a bit at the early on but god damn is it tense when once it picks up.

adg1034

Expiring in March 1st:
Day Break

I still cringe when I think about how ABC mishandled this. Such a great show. Yes, the premise has been done before (think Groundhog Day + suspense + cop protagonist), but they managed to execute it perfectly on just about every level. Taye Diggs, Moon Bloodgood, Adam Baldwin, and Mike from Breaking Bad. It's on Hulu, too (and for free, so no Plus required), but Netflix has it in HD. This one's up there with Journeyman, folks. See it before it's gone.

I just started watching the new Battlestar Galactica after holding off on it for so long. Loved the original and didnt want to watch the new one as I thought they'd ruin it.

Surprisingly after 2 episodes I love it. Aside from changing Starbuck to a butch female, I think this show is great.

The best thing for me is the music and sound, so subtle and muted. Fits the space theme very well.

Nameless

I just started watching the new Battlestar Galactica after holding off on it for so long. Loved the original and didnt want to watch the new one as I thought they'd ruin it.

Surprisingly after 2 episodes I love it. Aside from changing Starbuck to a butch female, I think this show is great.

The best thing for me is the music and sound, so subtle and muted. Fits the space theme very well.

You have no clue what you're in for and I don't have the words to convey how much I envy you right now. I've gone through the series twice and both times I was genuinely sad it ended. Top 5 all-time series for me.

Pro Tip: On Netflix, S4E1 is the BSG movie "Razor"(it aired between season 3 and 4). Watch this right after S2E17 "The Captain's Hand" to keep the story in chronological order.

Kaladin

I started watching Dr. Who last night after a long absence from the series. I quit watching after season 3 episode 1....not sure why I quit watching, The Doctor was always a fun ride.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I still cringe when I think about how ABC mishandled this. Such a great show. Yes, the premise has been done before (think Groundhog Day + suspense + cop protagonist), but they managed to execute it perfectly on just about every level. Taye Diggs, Moon Bloodgood, Adam Baldwin, and Mike from Breaking Bad. It's on Hulu, too (and for free, so no Plus required), but Netflix has it in HD. This one's up there with Journeyman, folks. See it before it's gone.

So true. It is a great little show. I still have 3 episodes to go. I have marathon this, and FlashForward.

Season 1 is amazing. Loved it the whole way through. S2 becomes sort of a chore towards the end. I'm planning on starting S3 next weekend.

You have no clue what you're in for and I don't have the words to convey how much I envy you right now. I've gone through the series twice and both times I was genuinely sad it ended. Top 5 all-time series for me.

Pro Tip: On Netflix, S4E1 is the BSG movie "Razor"(it aired between season 3 and 4). Watch this right after S2E17 "The Captain's Hand" to keep the story in chronological order.

Oh shit. Gonna have to remember that lol

What about Caprica? Do I just watch that after BSG is fully over?

adg1034

Good news/bad news time.

Bad news first: the music doesn't stay that way. The guy who composed for the miniseries didn't stay on for the series proper. The music in the first few episodes of season 1 stays really close to that of the miniseries, as the producers wanted to have continuity, but they started letting the replacement composer have freer reign about halfway through the season.

The good news? That replacement composer was Bear McCreary, and his work on BSG's music is one of the best things to happen to television in years. He went the John Williams route on the series: weaving together specific musical themes for certain characters and ideas.

I can't imagine anyone actively disliking the shift, but I'd love to know what you think once you get there.

Kaladin

I've never seen the original Battlestar Galactica series, how do the old ones (78 and 80 are both on Netflix) hold up?

it probably goes without saying, but House of Cards is really, really, really fucking good. I burned through the first 8 episodes yesterday.

Good news/bad news time.

Bad news first: the music doesn't stay that way. The guy who composed for the miniseries didn't stay on for the series proper. The music in the first few episodes of season 1 stays really close to that of the miniseries, as the producers wanted to have continuity, but they started letting the replacement composer have freer reign about halfway through the season.

The good news? That replacement composer was Bear McCreary, and his work on BSG's music is one of the best things to happen to television in years. He went the John Williams route on the series: weaving together specific musical themes for certain characters and ideas.

I can't imagine anyone actively disliking the shift, but I'd love to know what you think once you get there.

I'll certainly post opinions probably when i'm halfway through season 2 to let it sink in. As long as its not too over the top I should like it.

I've never seen the original Battlestar Galactica series, how do the old ones (78 and 80 are both on Netflix) hold up?

Hard to say really. I grew up on it, so seeing the original movie then the old series was great for me as a kid. Even had battlestar galactica jigsaws and the like. Loved it. The new series is at least an homage to the original show in the mini-series it seems. It features the same Mark II vipers that the original featured exclusively, the main battlestar is virtually identical on the outside, and it even features the same characters. Give it a try. Obviously the FX wont hold up, but the old cylons look way better than the new ones, as do the cylon ships.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

The writing still holds up really well. The SFX depends on you. If you go in with an open mind on the SFX, I think you will enjoy it.

it probably goes without saying, but House of Cards is really, really, really fucking good. I burned through the first 8 episodes yesterday.

I finished it last night, one of the best new shows period.

Necrovex

When is Venture Bros and Adventure Time supposed to come out on Netflix Streaming again? Google doesn't seem to be working for me atm.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is there a master list of much watch Documentaries that are on Netflix? If not, anyone mind recommending some?

6 Days To Air
Indie Game: The Movie
Happy
Religulous
Exit Through The Gift Shop
Conan O'Brien Can't Stop
Life In A Day
Inside North Korea
How Beer Saved The World
Dark Days
Senna
Dust To Glory
Hungry For Change
Bomb It
Cosmos
Chasing Ghosts: Beyond The Arcade

Milchmann

6 Days To Air
Happy
Religulous
Conan O'Brien Can't Stop
Life In A Day
Inside North Korea
How Beer Saved The World
Dark Days
Senna
Dust To Glory
Hungry For Change
Bomb It
Cosmos

I would add:
Man on Wire
Restrepo
Waste Land
Gasland

6 Days To Air
Happy
Religulous
Conan O'Brien Can't Stop
Life In A Day
Inside North Korea
How Beer Saved The World
Dark Days
Senna
Dust To Glory
Hungry For Change
Bomb It
Cosmos

Saw this over the summer. Don't know anything about the guy or F1 for that matter but I was riveted. Really interesting stuff. And I second the recommendation for Religulous (didn't know it was on Netflix actually) - very good, very funny. You'll especially love it if you read and remotely agreed with any of Dawkins books.

Hindle

Banned
I'm waiting for Archer S3 to air on the UK Netflix. It's strange it was originally available but they took it down.

Top Bottom