• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu 11/19/09 - Phoenix Wright (Wiiware), NMH (PS360)

Jocchan said:
You sure? Except, probably, when you saved your game I seriously doubt it ever went past 30 fps. I hope they get constant 60 fps and at least 720p in this remake though. 1080p would be even better, but I'm not holding my breath.
Yes I'm sure. I only said a few parts and by that I meant like 3. :lol

Someone already said Death Metal's Mansion. Santa Destroy High School is another (this one sticks out the most for me). The last I can think of of the top of my head is Letz Shake's tunnel.

So basically, only indoor environments with less than 5 enemies at a time, but it happened more than once! :lol

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
sonicspear64 said:
Yes I'm sure. I only said a few parts and by that I meant like 3. :lol

Someone already said Death Metal's Mansion. Santa Destroy High School is another (this one sticks out the most for me). The last I can think of of the top of my head is Letz Shake's tunnel.

So basically, only indoor environments with less than 5 enemies at a time, but it happened more than once! :lol
Hmmm, I remember clearly the framerate dipping well below 30 in the corridors of Death Metal's mansion. I was showing off the game to a friend of mine and we noticed, and commented, that both.

A NMH PS360 version? Excellentm more people can then be as confused with the themes and messaged the game throws out as I have. I shall mark the date down, its as good as any to import and re-experience the garden of madness in HD. I'm actually more excited to hear the audio tracks again.

Peff said:
I've just remembered the awful slowdown there was in the fighting mission in the alley which was the best one for farming money. If you happened to kill two or three enemies at once the result wasn't pretty.

EDIT: This one!
I never experienced any slowdown during that mission, and I played it countless times.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I really want NMH to succeed on HD consoles if only to expand the brand but one of the main reasons why NMH was even a Wii game in the first place is because it was decidedly too niche of a style/genre/gameplay to warrant a ground up HD budget. Suda would have had to invest many millions more into graphics, art assets and "next-gen" engine development to even be looked at with a passing glance from the graphically centric 360/PS3 audience. So we are talking about a blown up development budget for a game that would have been a huge gamble to sell even half a million copies when it would have needed probably a million to even justify the attempt.

The only reason that we are even able to have a PS3/360 version now is because they can simply upscale the Wii version to HD with added lighting and higher frame rate which would be a minimal cost to Marvelous. I can guarantee you that they are not remaking the game from the ground up with a full next gen treatment because the costs would greatly outweigh any potential return. This way they can upscale it and throw it unto the HD consoles to see how it does and then gauge whether or not it would be worth the time and effort to port the sequel later on next year.

If NMH had of been a 360/PS3 game from the beginning then chances are they most likely would have lost money of the project and we never would have gotten this wonderful sequel. So don't be surprised if the SD console continues to be the lead platform for this franchise. Now if by some miracle the HD versions sell gangbusters then we might see a full on platform change especially with Sony Motion Wands and Natal around the corner but I cannot stress how unlikely that scenario is.

Bottom line is that any real fans of NMH should be happy that more people will be able to enjoy what I feel is the best beat-em-up of the generation so far. And unlike the best beat-em-up from last gen (God Hand) we were kindly rewarded with a sequel.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
octopusman said:
I never experienced any slowdown during that mission, and I played it countless times.
You're kidding me right? I farmed that mission on every playthrough to get the best beam saber. The frame rate goes into single digits if you manage to decapitate at least five to six thugs at a time due to all the blood and coin spurting out.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
octopusman said:
That mission and any others where you killed 4 or more enemies with one of Travis's bloodier finishes always use to cause a drops in the framerate. It was rather common but also understandable considering the insane amount of gore that would fill the screen. If they can fix the combat frame rate drops for the sequel and the HD versions I will be one happy camper. I probably won't buy the PS3 version unless it supports the motion wands (Natal just won't work for this). Doing the incredible finishes and wrestling moves myself was half the fun in my book.

Screenboy

Shaheed79 said:
I really want NMH to succeed on HD consoles if only to expand the brand but one of the main reasons why NMH was even a Wii game in the first place is because it was decidedly too niche of a style/genre/gameplay to warrant a ground up HD budget. Suda would have had to invest many millions more into graphics, art assets and "next-gen" engine development to even be looked at with a passing glance from the graphically centric 360/PS3 audience. So we are talking about a blown up development budget for a game that would have been a huge gamble to sell even half a million copies when it would have needed probably a million to even justify the attempt.

The only reason that we are even able to have a PS3/360 version now is because they can simply upscale the Wii version to HD with added lighting and higher frame rate which would be a minimal cost to Marvelous. I can guarantee you that they are not remaking the game from the ground up with a full next gen treatment because the costs would greatly outweigh any potential return. This way they can upscale it and throw it unto the HD consoles to see how it does and then gauge whether or not it would be worth the time and effort to port the sequel later on next year.

If NMH had of been a 360/PS3 game from the beginning then chances are they most likely would have lost money of the project and we never would have gotten this wonderful sequel. So don't be surprised if the SD console continues to be the lead platform for this franchise. Now if by some miracle the HD versions sell gangbusters then we might see a full on platform change especially with Sony Motion Wands and Natal around the corner but I cannot stress how unlikely that scenario is.

Bottom line is that any real fans of NMH should be happy that more people will be able to enjoy what I feel is the best beat-em-up of the generation so far. And unlike the best beat-em-up from last gen (God Hand) we were kindly rewarded with a sequel.

but its the same with all 'cool' stuff. its only cool when a small amount of people like it, it turns 'uncool' when it hits the mainstream (ps360).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
m9ybn9.jpg

14vtm2u.jpg

2cpfgao.jpg

Tain

What a gorgeous game. Removing the motion control won't be enough of an improvement to make me like the combat, though.

Magypsy23

Banned
Looks great. I was hoping they'd alter the character models to match those of NMH2 but it's ok. I'll be posting the boxart in hi-res later.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Wow, looks really nice. The models are the same but everything else looks much better.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So they're basically trying to appeal to sexually frustrated otakus in every way:
- sexy portraits for preorders
- sexy costumes for all the girls
- boxart filled with female characters regardless of their importance in the game

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jocchan said:
So they're basically trying to appeal to sexually frustrated otakus in every way:
- boxart filled with female characters regardless of their importance in the game
I predict vast success.

remz

Jocchan said:
due to the nature of Travis every female was a pretty important character to him, really.

but yeah, it's pretty much the angle they're going for, lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
That is more re-texturing than I had hoped for and it looks great! Not as good a ground up HD game but it is more than passable due to its cartoon shaded art style. Polygon count doesn't seem to of drastically changed however but the Wii models weren't bad looking to begin with. If this supports the PS3 wand and runs at 60 fps I may buy this again! Someone was right about this looking very close to the HD Wii emulated version on the PC.

AniHawk

Looks better than the pics made it out to be. The real improvement is the lighting, although the textures have also gotten a bump.

EDIT: Man, they really did remake this thing. You can see detail on Travis's forehead in that closeup shot.

I assume this means NMH2 is on the way then? I would imagine selling 1 copy of this would render profit to Marvellous, this would not have been expensive at all to make.

AniHawk

I should be doing hw said:
I assume this means NMH2 is on the way then? I would imagine selling 1 copy of this would render profit to Marvellous, this would not have been expensive at all to make.

I think they're trying to bring the series over for NMH 3, which will probably use the Natal and Swand in some way.

kinggroin

Banned
*sees screens

ah...ah!....AH!!!!

FUCK ME THAT LOOKS GREAT!!!

WHY, OH WHY, CAN'T WE HAVE MOTION CONTROLS ON THE "HD" SYSTEMS?!?!

Seems like a good idea to me. Test out the game on Wii to see if the IP works, which it has having a cult following of sorts, then bring a better version to HD consoles. Do the same for 2, possibly doing it faster than they did 1 if the PS360 version makes profit. Then simultaneous release on all 3. It must be as simple as that, surely :lol

kinggroin

Banned
Seems like a good idea to me. Test out the game on Wii to see if the IP works, which it has having a cult following of sorts, then bring a better version to HD consoles. Do the same for 2, possibly doing it faster than they did 1 if the PS360 version makes profit. Then simultaneous release on all 3. It must be as simple as that, surely :lol

Many fans of the original would argue that, without the motion controls.

EDIT: You 360/PS3 owners that have been saying how much better this game would be on your platform, had better buy 10 copies each. I'd love to have it be the case in the future where I buy the Wii version for controls, and PS360 version for, well, everything else :p

I stress my other point, how much could the HD port have cost? Chump change surely.
Edit:
Also I remember the motion controls to be very neglectable at best, nothing that can't be emulated by an analogue stick movement, or better yet a sixaxis one. I'll conceed that the phone gimmick with the Wiimote speaker is a loss but that's about it. Like someone else mentioned earlier, for NMH2 you can play with the classic controller this time around, not sure if motion controls have been removed entirely or not though.

AniHawk

I stress my other point, how much could the HD port have cost? Chump change surely.

All they would have to do is pay the guys who did the voice acting, new textures, and improved lighting as well as whoever did the programming for the extra features.

kinggroin

Banned
AniHawk said:
All they would have to do is pay the guys who did the voice acting, new textures, and improved lighting as well as whoever did the programming for the extra features.

Dont you pay MS and Sony something as well?

kinggroin

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yeah, but that happens for every game.

Right right right, just figuring what total costs they'll have to incur. Hopefully they can advertise the game enough to get some kind of word out.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kinggroin said:
WHY, OH WHY, CAN'T WE HAVE MOTION CONTROLS ON THE "HD" SYSTEMS?!?!

This really should have wand support, if not at release then patched in later when the wand is out (if it's not out at the same time or before this).

I mean it seems like a no-brainer. Have non-motion support too, but why not support the wand as well as an option? Seems obvious to me.

Dascu

Looks lovely. I'd like to see some overworld shots. Maybe they've added some pedestrians and cars to make it look more lively?

duckroll

gofreak said:
This really should have wand support, if not at release then patched in later when the wand is out (if it's not out at the same time or before this).

I mean it seems like a no-brainer. Have non-motion support too, but why not support the wand as well as an option? Seems obvious to me.

The control scheme for the 360/PS3 release has not been revealed or announced yet. It will be revealed "soon", in the next Famitsu preview. Whenever that is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The frame rate wasn't that bad. There were a few parts in the game where it was 60 fps.
Sure it was. Yes, it occasionally hit 60 fps when you were facing a wall or an empty hallway, but that's part of the problem. The framerate was all over the board ranging from 60 fps to 15 depending on the area and it could change a whole lot within one scene. It was this inconsistency that killed it. If they had locked it at 30 fps and optimized it to prevent it from dropping below that, it would have felt a lot more polished.

duckroll

dark10x said:
Sure it was. Yes, it occasionally hit 60 fps when you were facing a wall or an empty hallway, but that's part of the problem. The framerate was all over the board ranging from 60 fps to 15 depending on the area and it could change a whole lot within one scene. It was this inconsistency that killed it. If they had locked it at 30 fps and optimized it to prevent it from dropping below that, it would have felt a lot more polished.

Get ready for the same experience in Reginleiv! :D

Top Bottom