• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS hiring team lead for new AAA title in established & well-loved strategy game serie

def sim

AoE2 and AoM are steamworks and the latter is coming this Thursday. I'm sure we'll see whatever this is on PC.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
PC gamers have been very receptive to games like banished, might and magic and the dozens of PC heritage kickstarters which have cropped up. that's aside from the fields of gold which firaxis and creative assembly rake in every year.

i'm going to be careful not to overestimate microsoft, but it's probably in their financial interest to play this one straight down the line.

Fucking Microsoft. Fuck Halo, bring back AoE and Flight simulator.

dQMbkD3.gif

monlo

honestly, if it's Age of Empires, I don't know see why they wouldn't make it for the X1, which would neuter the controls a bit. They'd have to do something special to make it work.

PC gamers have been very receptive to games like banished, might and magic and the dozens of PC heritage kickstarters which have cropped up. that's aside from the fields of gold which firaxis and creative assembly rake in every year.

i'm going to be careful not to overestimate microsoft, but it's probably in their financial interest to play this one straight down the line.

I'm not sure if MS fosters the same goodwill from PC gamers that those nostalgia driven kickstarters did, after their years of poisoning their own well in an attempt to force the xbox brand into relevancy.

The specific references to "clientside" in the job description also heavily imply something with online persistence, which I don't think is something people are clamouring for in the strategy space on PC.

pr0cs

I guess I'm in the minority, I thought Halo Wars controls worked pretty good for a RTS on a console.
I also thought Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth II worked really well for consoles as well. Yes the game had performance issues but that wasn't due to the control scheme.
Command and Conquer for 360 would have been good too but the missions were not balanced properly for the controller controls so some missions were an exercise in frustration.

There are enough examples of RTS games working on consoles if enough planning and design is put into using a controller. Couple that with voice, gesture controls and I don't see why we couldn't see something like Age of Empires "console edition".

My cousin and I still play Halo Wars. The game is super addictive and alot of fun. Sure it's not got a shit ton of micromanagement you need to do, but that's fine. The game really is a perfect console RTS. I pray that they are making a part 2.

Please do it Phil!

My cousin and I still play Halo Wars. The game is super addictive and alot of fun. Sure it's not got a shit ton of micromanagement you need to do, but that's fine. The game really is a perfect console RTS. I pray that they are making a part 2.

Please do it Phil!
I feel the exact same way. It sorely needed more content but I still play and have a blast.

daman824

I definitely want another halo wars. If it is age of empires, I hope it gets put on the xb1 aswell with kb/m support.

Edit: Seriously though, 3 on 3 halo wars matches were great. Another one with more heroes would be great.

Akai__

Please let it be Halo Wars 2. Please let it be Halo Wars 2.

It's probably Age of Empires. :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
honestly, if it's Age of Empires, I don't know see why they wouldn't make it for the X1, which would neuter the controls a bit. They'd have to do something special to make it work.

You just answered your own question.

DocSeuss

Opinions and all that, but surely you could admit that objectively its not exactly a top tier strategy franchise?

Sure, but I thought we were talking about love, not quality.

Age of Dota :p

I HAVE NEVER KILLED A MAN BEFORE, BUT I'M WILLING TO START WITH YOU

Fucking Microsoft. Fuck Halo, bring back AoE and Flight simulator.

You speak for me. Well, not entirely--I'd gladly take Halo HD on PC too. Start making games that can only be played on PC again, though. That would be awesome.

Yeah...Not sure I'm that confident with them taking another crack it.

I HATE YOU SO MUCH

DocSeuss

The two aren't mutually exclusive. "Well loved" implies generally thought fondly of by critical consensus.

That ain't Halo Wars.

I dunno, the whole idea of cult movies, for instance, implies that they are loved despite, or even because of, their flaws. I think the same is true of Halo Wars.

I dunno, the whole idea of cult movies, for instance, implies that they are loved despite, or even because of, their flaws. I think the same is true of Halo Wars.

If you went to a job interview to work on a "well loved adventure game franchise" and discovered it was Limbo of the Lost 2 you wouldn't be thinking "oh, right, campy shlock value, I guess that is a sort of love".

You'd be wondering why someone was wasting your time.

Amir0x

Banned
you'd think so. the only other contender could be rise of nations.

I want a new Rise of Nations so badly it almost hurts, but then I fear someone will turn it into a microtransactions nightmare and so also sometimes think it's too good for our modern gaming world :(

DocSeuss

Halo 5 on PC plus new AoE and Flight Simulator to headline E3. JK it will be new kinekt games.

Microsoft forgets they own Xbox for the duration of E3

All PC

All the time

The other console fans losing their minds 'cause they haven't got a single thing they can complain about

PC dominates

Gaben strolls onto stage

Ha--okay, I'll stop now, I sound like 4chan.

Top Bottom