• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

mbpm1

It's by far the least satisfying vault resolution as well, as the effects should have had a huge impact on how the exiles survive on the planet. But nothing really changes and most characters don't even acknowledge the event.

I hate how the vaults don't seem to do enough most of the time. You would only know changes often by Sam telling you "you made the planet's temperature decrease" and because you no longer get irradiated in certain zones or whatever. Except for Voeld, that sky is fire.

prag16

Banned
I hate how the vaults don't seem to do enough most of the time. You would only know changes often by Sam telling you "you made the planet's temperature decrease" and because you no longer get irradiated in certain zones or whatever. Except for Voeld, that sky is fire.

Yeah I was hoping that over time if you came back to Eos or Voeld that you'd see some more dramatic changes. Would have been a cool touch, though possibly kind of resource intensive.

Madness

Same. Was hoping for progression. Got really excited the first time you come back to the Nexus and all that space opened up thinking this is how it'll work the more arks you save or outposts you establish.

Fingers crossed for the DLC to completely be something new, big and inmersive.

Hell, I mean you would think completing tasks on Eos and the passage of time you would see things like at least roads be built, buildings, make the area around Prodromos change slightly.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Same. Was hoping for progression. Got really excited the first time you come back to the Nexus and all that space opened up thinking this is how it'll work the more arks you save or outposts you establish.

Hell, I mean you would think completing tasks on Eos and the passage of time you would see things like at least roads be built, buildings, make the area around Prodromos change slightly.
Progression on the Nexus and in outposts would have been great. Also more on the Tempest.

I also wish the game had adopted something like No Man Sky's language system for learning the Remnant language. Each piece of data you scan unlocks some words, etc. Instead you just hit a certain point in the game and
SAM suddenly notices the language is super similar to Angaran, which was dumb on several levels.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Beat the game, 100% viability across the board, 95% complete.

Couple good hooks for DLC revealed are there at the end, with the
the Quarian ark's signal
and whatever the
Primus has planned if you did that sidequest where they betray the Archon

I enjoyed the game, overall. The only real annoyance was the traversal, from system to system. Why not let us skip those transitions too?

The highlight was experimenting with guns. Bioware knocked it out of the park, as it comes to having so many guns, and giving them unique feels.

mdzapeer

I have yet to start playing this game, only seen the teaser trailers, so 1 question since I am pretty much on blackout....how is the music? Mass Effect had pretty good music, how does it compare?

I have yet to start playing this game, only seen the teaser trailers, so 1 question since I am pretty much on blackout....how is the music? Mass Effect had pretty good music, how does it compare?

Bland and forgettable. It's prob the part of the game I dislike most. The galaxy map theme is rendition of the original and that's pretty good.

Vico

H-047C was an awesome spot. So pretty and peaceful, it gave me major ME1 vibes. The loyalty mission there was good too.

The loyalty missions succeed because they're bringing completely new scenarios that you can't find anywhere else in the game (at least for the two I've played). Instead on relying on multiple tasks in the open-world, they should have focused on tighter and more innovative missions like the loyalty ones.

I still have Elaaden to do (all of it), and I'm not looking forward to it at all, knowing the kind of stuff I'll have to do, and the time it'll take.

Yeah man, I don't think we even see the other arks around the Nexus after you rescued them?

Seeing more structures being built around settlements over time would be cool. But realistically I don't know. They always emphasize how low resources are, I guess stuff takes time to build. How much time passed between the start and the end of the game anyway? (counting from the day the Hyperion arrived at the Nexus) I feel like everything happened within a month or something, maybe not enough time for any significant city development.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah man, I don't think we even see the other arks around the Nexus after you rescued them?
You do see the arks connect at the central point of the Nexus, but that's the only change. Otherwise you'd have no idea the other arks arrived.

Landford

Banned
GOTY

8wJQR5A.jpg

Apoptomon

You can see the arks on the nexus' map model (incidentally you can tell them apart by their color scheme) and loading screen cinematic, but it is disappointing that they don't hook into the nexus' tram system like the Hyperion does. I'm not sure what the arks could possibly contain/add to the nexus features to make extra maps worthwhile, especially since they are largely optional, but at least then they'd have presence.

Oh and speaking of visible progression, (end game spoilers)
the cinematic after Meridien seemed to imply environmental change e.g. plants growing in Prodomos, but I wasn't sure if that actually happened

This is a weird nitpick, but is anyone else really disappointed in the bars/clubs in this game? Maybe it's just me, but they've always been a staple of the series.
One of the very first things we saw of ME1 was Flux, and it looked incredible. ME2 had Afterlife on Omega, and even ME3's Purgatory was pretty good. The ones in Andromeda lack any of the atmosphere of the old ones. The bar in Kadara slums feels like something out of a generic MMO.

That is upto you. There has only been the one patch so far and there are still a ton of issues, broken quests, bugs and glitches. It certainly isn't unplayable by any means. The multiplayer is pretty poor p2p. I haven't found a game to be this bad with rubberbanding and drops and disconnects in years, maybe early Xbox 360 time.

$39.99 is a decent price for this though. The cheapass in me says it'll be this price everywhere soon enough, I would still hold off until the second patch to see what exactly they're doing. This next patch has taken them longer than from launch to the first patch, so hopefully it is comprehensive. You can buy if you want to, play a little bit. Will take you 10-15+ hours just to get into the meat of the game as it is.

k, thanks!

This is a weird nitpick, but is anyone else really disappointed in the bars/clubs in this game? Maybe it's just me, but they've always been a staple of the series.
One of the very first things we saw of ME1 was Flux, and it looked incredible. ME2 had Afterlife on Omega, and even ME3's Purgatory was pretty good. The ones in Andromeda lack any of the atmosphere of the old ones. The bar in Kadara slums feels like something out of a generic MMO.

Whole game feels like a mmo, the dragon age Inquisition structure sucks to be honest, previous games were much better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Whelp, Andromeda has entered Mankind Divided territory, where it sits unfinished and I don't really feel a draw to go back.

I will eventually, when I've finished some other games. But yeah. That's my review.

Moreche

I'd really appreciate one of the recent discount codes if anyone has one to spare?
Thanks.
Edit: Much appreciation to BlingBang for the code.

Whelp, Andromeda has entered Mankind Divided territory, where it sits unfinished and I don't really feel a draw to go back.

I will eventually, when I've finished some other games. But yeah. That's my review.

For what it's worth, the last couple of missions and the epilogue are probably the best part f the game. It's worth blasting through to get to the end.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Whelp, Andromeda has entered Mankind Divided territory.
DXMD by miles and miles better than MEA in terms of side content, but characters and story in MEA is better than in DXMD. Hell, DXMD doesn't even have a story, only some shitty plot about bombing in metro.

P.S. Any news about 1.06?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
How is it not? It fits a goofy flirty character.
Obviously would be too much it the OT but it works here.

At least tell me you think these are okay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCaZn2tdpW4
3:08, 6:03, 6:36, 2:38, 1:58

Man I thought Liam was bad before I had him in the Nomad....

I took Liam and Drack out and was laughing at how much of a bastard Drack is every time Liam tries to say something nice.

I forgot I cant open the PVE loot boxes from multiplayer if I am in multiplayer, forcing me to go to the main menu, load the campaign, go to the tempest, open the boxes, one by one, go to multiplayer whichs send me to the main menu, then multiplayer menu...

diaspora

I forgot I cant open the PVE loot boxes from multiplayer if I am in multiplayer, forcing me to go to the main menu, load the campaign, go to the tempest, open the boxes, one by one, go to multiplayer whichs send me to the main menu, then multiplayer menu...

If you get into MP from the SP you should be able to jump back into SP.

lucius

I am at 62% at about 64 hours at level 45, did all the loyalty missions and have one main mission left. I like the game more than ME3 overall, the combat is great. I bought the game weeks after launch so I saw all the complaints. The best advice from here I got is to do all the loyalty missions and stick to main game and Helenus missions then you won't be so annoyed about the MMO type fetch/scan this type quests with backtracking. Also I read that article, Ten Things I Wish I Knew When I Started 'Mass Effect: Andromeda' on Forbes helped. There are definitely some bizarre designs choices and annoying bugs, but not game breaking like Fallout PS3 or Just Cause 3 Xbox unplayable ones. Loading bugs have been maybe the worst for me once I hit the 40+ hour mark, not saving in Nomad helps that one, but I can't seem to avoid the stuck on death screen bug.

Ricker

Did my first Loyalty mission last night and it was great(Cora)...the only other one I have for now is Vetra's,going to do that one tonight...game is huge,I love it.

prag16

Banned
Sometime in May iirc.

I don't think they ever actually said. Unless there was a tweet that I missed.

I went back to Horizon in the meantime before I start my NG+ run figuring I'll wait for patches. But the pull to go back is strong. I may be in the minority here, but fuck it. I like Horizon. But Horizon feels boring by comparison. -_-

diaspora

I don't think they ever actually said. Unless there was a tweet that I missed.

I went back to Horizon in the meantime before I start my NG+ run figuring I'll wait for patches. But the pull to go back is strong. I may be in the minority here, but fuck it. I like Horizon. But Horizon feels boring by comparison. -_-

They said there would be patches over the next "two months" some time at the end of march/early april when 1.05 was announced.

edit: The week of April 4th:
Over the next two months we'll be rolling out additional patches which will go even deeper and look to improve several areas of the game:

More options and variety in the character creator
Improvements to hair and general appearance for characters
Ongoing improvements to cinematic scenes and animations
Improvements to male romance options for Scott Ryder
Adjustments to conversations with Hainly Abrams

prag16

Banned
They said there would be patches over the next "two months" some time at the end of march/early april when 1.05 was announced.

edit: The week of April 4th:

Right but they never said "May" for the second one. Though now that April is just about over it's a safe bet. (Many were hoping it would have already come.)

PFD

Over the next two months we’ll be rolling out additional patches which will go even deeper and look to improve several areas of the game:

More options and variety in the character creator
Improvements to hair and general appearance for characters
Ongoing improvements to cinematic scenes and animations
Improvements to male romance options for Scott Ryder
Adjustments to conversations with Hainly Abrams

Mainly interested in this one

Renekton

How is the game on the PS4 Pro? Is the framerate smooth? 40 bucks for this game is compelling.
Not smooth according to other GAF Pro owners.

I think the price will be discounted further in June summer sales, after the promised 2 months worth of patches are in.

IMO, save thy cash for now.

mbpm1

As of today the game now flickers constantly if I'm full screen and is unplayable outside of windowed mode

I don't know why, but it was working fine before

thought it didn't really matter. I finished it win a few hours after that.

Overall, i like the game. The game game, where you do story missions, and save worlds. The stuff that matters. Everything around it is a bit patchy though. the collection quests are in general, largely a bust. The loading screens are really long and numerous, and tedious. The characters could have used a little more time and the dialogue overall wasn't great. There wasn't the sense of wonder as often as i liked and everything Remnant just looked really samey after a while, like bootleg necron wannabe stuff.

But still, I liked it. 7.5/10 i suppose.

Top Bottom