• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Seik

Banned
It's such a shame that Nintendo didn't use the Wind Waker engine for Zelda Wii.

Stop it, Skyward Sword looks amazing too, I prefer having a new engine than the same thing again. Each game have their own engine (exept Majora's Mask) and that's what makes them unique. I did Skyward Sword entirely on Dolphin and its a masterpiece, just like WW is, though I'm having more bugs with WW than SS right now (like some red glowing walls in the first dungeons in rooms containing lava.). I should have played WW before, its almost perfect and god in looks good.

Shion

Stop it, Skyward Sword looks amazing too, I prefer having a new engine than the same thing again. Each game have their own engine (exept Majora's Mask) and that's what makes them unique. I did Skyward Sword entirely on Dolphin and its a masterpiece, just like WW is, though I'm having more bugs with WW than SS right now (like some red glowing walls in the first dungeons in rooms containing lava.). I should have played WW before, its almost perfect and god in looks good.
Well I said engine, not art direction. I think we got way too many Zelda games using the WW art-style anyway.

Oh and Skyward Sword sucked:p

jediyoshi

It's such a shame that Nintendo didn't use the Wind Waker engine for Zelda Wii.

HD rerelease for the WiiU, map goes on the gamepad screen while sailing.
I can dream.

Really, though, how much is worth playing on Triforce? Mario Kart Arcade GP sort of sucks and F-Zero AX is just GX in arcade form.

I doubt talk of using it would even be allowed, there was another arcade emulator a while back I believe on here that eventually got forbade. I just find it fascinating purely as far as preservation goes seeing as, unlike most arcade games, no way they'd ever rerelease mkagp.

Dmax3901

Fantastic experience so far.

wwg3em5.png

What dolphin build are you using? No matter what I do I can't get rid of the low-res DoF.

KScorp

What dolphin build are you using? No matter what I do I can't get rid of the low-res DoF.

Go into the Wind Waker properties (right click, properties), check "Custom Projection Hack", use the [Custom] preset, and set zFar to 0.7 and check the box next to it. Leave zNear blank and don't check its box. Should work fine, I did it just a few hours ago when updating to the latest build. (I used to use 235 or something like that, that build didn't require a project hack.)

Esiquio

Well I said engine, not art direction. I think we got way too many Zelda games using the WW art-style anyway.

Oh and Skyward Sword sucked:p

SUCKED. Like Shaq-Fu sucked, right? This is why we will always have wars on Earth. There are people like Shion walking around, having opinions like that.

:D But really, bro...SUCKED?!

notashin

Banned

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess use the same engine.

Dmax3901

Go into the Wind Waker properties (right click, properties), check "Custom Projection Hack", use the [Custom] preset, and set zFar to 0.7 and check the box next to it. Leave zNear blank and don't check its box. Should work fine, I did it just a few hours ago when updating to the latest build. (I used to use 235 or something like that, that build didn't require a project hack.)

I fucking love you, this should really be added to the OP's guide.

I finally went ahead and got Dolphin. Getting myself a thumb drive now, so I can rip my cop of Skyward Sword. I hate the motion controls for SS, and figuring out I can use a gamepad was the deciding factor to finally get Dolphin. So excited to finally play SS without despising the game!

StevieP

Banned
I finally went ahead and got Dolphin. Getting myself a thumb drive now, so I can rip my cop of Skyward Sword. I hate the motion controls for SS, and figuring out I can use a gamepad was the deciding factor to finally get Dolphin. So excited to finally play SS without despising the game!

Yeah, um... good luck.

What are the best settings for running Dolphin on a late 2011 27 inch iMac, 2.7ghz?

Am I better off running it on Windows via bootcamp? Just curious as I was fooling with it yesterday and found it pretty solid in OSX. I have no idea what the best settings are for this kind of thing.

You can't play skyward sword without it because it uses motion+

I wish I could use the kb/m for the wii zelda games because it'd work much better, but no cigar

errr-wrong?

I read that someone had ported Skyward Swords Motion+ controls to a 360pad config in Dolphin somehow....

EDIT:

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQRSmYHbWls and proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4XSz8E4rco

And a thread about Emulating Motion Plus is here: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=20167

KScorp

What are the best settings for running Dolphin on a late 2011 27 inch iMac, 2.7ghz?

Am I better off running it on Windows via bootcamp? Just curious as I was fooling with it yesterday and found it pretty solid in OSX. I have no idea what the best settings are for this kind of thing.

The Direct3D plugin is generally both faster and more compatible, and the only way to use it is through Windows. However, a lot of games work just fine with OpenGL. Check the dolphin wiki to see if your games have any problems with OpenGL.

Other than that, OSX should be nearly identical afaik.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just bought a fully-loaded MacBook Pro, the retina one. I'm really hoping it'll run Dolphin decently. At least GameCube games at 60fps.

But even if it could handle Wii games at 720p relatively well, that'd be fantastic. Does anyone know what I should expect? It's got an i7 2.6ghz w/ 3.6 TurboBoost, GeForce GT 650M, and 16gb of ram. Hoping for decent results. A portable GameCube/Wii would be magical.

Thraktor

I just bought a fully-loaded MacBook Pro, the retina one. I'm really hoping it'll run Dolphin decently. At least GameCube games at 60fps.

But even if it could handle Wii games at 720p relatively well, that'd be fantastic. Does anyone know what I should expect? It's got an i7 2.6ghz w/ 3.6 TurboBoost, GeForce GT 650M, and 16gb of ram. Hoping for decent results. A portable GameCube/Wii would be magical.

It shouldn't have any problems, although I wouldn't necessarily expect to be playing in retina resolution (although if you can, let us know and post some screenshots), but it should handle 720p (and probably 1080p) with ease. One thing to keep in mind is how hot it's likely to get when running Dolphin, so make sure the fans have ample room to do their work.

jediyoshi

It shouldn't have any problems, although I wouldn't necessarily expect to be playing in retina resolution (although if you can, let us know and post some screenshots), but it should handle 720p (and probably 1080p) with ease.

Technically, running at 4x native is already way past the new MBP's retina resolution. Anything past 2x doesn't usually introduce much more of a performance hit unless you're not getting a good frame rate to begin with at any resolution.

Dmax3901

If I'm getting occasional slowdown (or constant) what settings should I tweak aside from Resolution?

EDIT: So every now and then Wind Waker locks up with a black/grey screen. The wiki mentions this is a problem but none of the solutions they suggest have worked for me, any magic tips?

does anyone have experience getting Dolphin games to work with the steam overlay?

I've heard of two methods and tried them both, but I keep running into problems. The first is to add the Dolphin itself, then change the target to the game file. Second was to make a .bat file, convert it to a .exe and add that. I must not be doing the first method correctly because the game doesn't launch. When I write my own file, the game launches and immediately stops working (windows searching for error).

Any ideas?

You can't play skyward sword without it because it uses motion+

I wish I could use the kb/m for the wii zelda games because it'd work much better, but no cigar
I don't understand you guys.

A regular controller? Wouldn't agree, but hey at least matches feature by feature, now... a mouse and a keyboard? bye bye analog, proper diagonals, intuitive control scheme, hello 101 key's that serve no purpose in the game... and a freaking aimless mouse.

If that manages to keep full speed in most games at native res, damn, I so want one.

KScorp

EDIT: So every now and then Wind Waker locks up with a black/grey screen. The wiki mentions this is a problem but none of the solutions they suggest have worked for me, any magic tips?

Cross your fingers.

But really, if you can't get past a scene even after retrying several times you'll have to enable the "Fix Item Hang" patch in WW properties. It breaks the sound, but it should let you past a stuck point. After you get past that point, save, and restart WW without the Fix Item Hang patch.

Another note: Sometimes disabling the Fix Item Hang patch doesn't actually fix the sound... You'll have to go into Dolphin>User>Config>Dolphin.ini, set GCMPatches to 0, run dolphin and then close it, and finally reset GCMPatches to 1 again.

Dmax3901

Cross your fingers.

But really, if you can't get past a scene even after retrying several times you'll have to enable the "Fix Item Hang" patch in WW properties. It breaks the sound, but it should let you past a stuck point. After you get past that point, save, and restart WW without the Fix Item Hang patch.

Another note: Sometimes disabling the Fix Item Hang patch doesn't actually fix the sound... You'll have to go into Dolphin>User>Config>Dolphin.ini, set GCMPatches to 0, run dolphin and then close it, and finally reset GCMPatches to 1 again.

So I got one hang after Aryll was taken, then another when loading Forsaken Fortress, then I was in the clear from then until the end of DRC dungeon, where I got another (right after the boss :/).

Pretty damn annoying, not sure I'd be able to put up with that the whole game. The Fix Item Hang didn't seem to do anything when I enabled it, I got a crash again and the sound didn't change at all.

KScorp

So I got one hang after Aryll was taken, then another when loading Forsaken Fortress, then I was in the clear from then until the end of DRC dungeon, where I got another (right after the boss :/).

Pretty damn annoying, not sure I'd be able to put up with that the whole game. The Fix Item Hang didn't seem to do anything when I enabled it, I got a crash again and the sound didn't change at all.

If the item hang fix doesn't do anything, I think you're out of luck in getting a reliable solution.

Yeah, it's quite annoying. Save as often as possible, especially when you know a cutscene is coming or likely. This includes saving right before warping out of a boss dungeon, it sucks to have to fight a boss again. You should be able to get past any area eventually, so far I've gotten past all black screens on my second try.

Dmax3901

Is there a keyboard shortcut for 'save state'? That would make things really easy.

EDIT: There is! Shift + F1, makes things far easier. F11 is the shortcut to load the first save slot, so I'll just 'quicksave' all the time, then when a crash occurs I'll quit, load it up and press F11 to skip straight to where I was. Perhaps another thing to go in the WW OP guide.

Type_Raver

Read a few posts here and some people have got fzero GX to run well.

I can run it at 60fps with dual core enabled, but it will crash when playing GP mode, TT is ok.

Alternatively I disable dual core and my fps will be around the 40fps mark (give or take 10fps dependingon screen activity).

Specs are

I7 3930k @ 4.7Ghz
ATI 6970 2GB
16gb ram.

I'd expect better than that.

MarkusRJR

Ugh seeing all these emulated Wind Waker screens make me wish Nintendo made a Zelda game with the same art style, but in HD and with more polygons (and higher res textures) instead of the mishmash of art styles in SS.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Really late to this party, but started running this.

Wow at DCK Returns. Looks gorgeous and runs almost perfectly (near 60FPS at all times).

Type_Raver

I can't find a working Dkc Rom, always something dodgy with the file and a waste of 4.3GB. If only I could rip my copy.

Hanging to play it in HD!

Foffy

Banned
Hey, if you guys can help me out, I'd be happy. I'm able to play Wii games that use Classic Controllers (I use PS3 controllers) but I want to use my Wiimote. The problem is I lack a sensor bar that is wireless, and a bluetooth dongle to sync to it. I know the Nextronics Sensor Bar HD is a good choice, but they've been sold out for months, and I wanted to get that an a bluetooth dongle at the same time. Maybe you guys can help me find what I need, because I can run games pretty well. It's just I can't play some of the Wiimote-intensive or exclusive games with a PS3 controller, as it feels so cumbersome.

I've had Pandora's Tower sitting here since its launch in Europe, and I want to play it at 720p.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm having trouble getting Dolphin to boot up on my Mac. I click on the application, nothing happens, then I get a prompt that says Dolphin has quit unexpectedly. Is there something I'm missing here? I literally can't even get the program to boot up.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Hey, if you guys can help me out, I'd be happy. I'm able to play Wii games that use Classic Controllers (I use PS3 controllers) but I want to use my Wiimote. The problem is I lack a sensor bar that is wireless, and a bluetooth dongle to sync to it. I know the Nextronics Sensor Bar HD is a good choice, but they've been sold out for months, and I wanted to get that an a bluetooth dongle at the same time. Maybe you guys can help me find what I need, because I can run games pretty well. It's just I can't play some of the Wiimote-intensive or exclusive games with a PS3 controller, as it feels so cumbersome.

I've had Pandora's Tower sitting here since its launch in Europe, and I want to play it at 720p.

I would love a good Bluetooth adapter and sensor bar as well.

Top Bottom