• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance 3 |OT| You ARE the Resistance

rdrr gnr

Are you guys all jumping into the MP first?
Better not.
Radec said:
Is it me or is it just when you entered a house, there's like 2-3 secs where you can't see almost anything inside until the darkness fades? Is that a lighting feature?
No. Increase your brightness through the game menu.

Ashes

Banned
Pretty sure, people are levelling up quickish because it is a beta. In the real game, I fully expect it to be slower

JWong

Banned
I dunno why, but I can't continue playing the beta. I can't stand stickmen with moving legs anymore after playing KZ and UC.

Not the biggest issue, but I don't feel the gunplay at all.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Anyone else getting freezes regularly when trying to get into the beta? Every time I've gone into it lately it'll freeze on the black transition into the beta on the first attempt and I have to reboot my PS3. This hasn't happened with anything else, just this beta.

Teknoman

JWong said:
I dunno why, but I can't continue playing the beta. I can't stand stickmen with moving legs anymore after playing KZ and UC.

Not the biggest issue, but I don't feel the gunplay at all.

Yeah same here. I havent played Resistance since the early days of 2, so maybe thats the reason?

LEGGZZZZ

This is one of my all time favorite trailers ever, from Resistance Fall of Man:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uPgByH2F24

Was never a big fan of the series, always felt a notch below other shooters on the market, but I always felt like the series had the potential to really be something amazing still just going by the trailer way back. After seeing/reading all the previews, and inspiration from other mediums on how to improve the atmosphere/bleakness, and playing beta, I feel like you guys have finally nailed that trailer down from way back. I hope I am right with this prediction when the game finally arrives next month.

I am HYPED. Day 1!

patsu

Ashes1396 said:
Pretty sure, people are levelling up quickish because it is a beta. In the real game, I fully expect it to be slower

jstevenson said:
this is indeed the case

Whaaaa~ T_T

Incidentally, I saw someone walk up the air again. I was chasing after him with my BullsEye. Just when I wanted to tag him, he went higher and higher at about 45 degrees, right outside the big warehouse. So I aimed higher and higher but eventually he got away. I was laughing and shooting at the same time until someone got me from behind. This game is amazing.

gibration

patsu said:
Incidentally, I saw someone walk up the air again. I was chasing after him with my BullsEye. Just when I wanted to tag him, he went higher and higher at about 45 degrees, right outside the big warehouse. So I aimed higher and higher but eventually he got away. I was laughing and shooting at the same time until someone got me from behind. This game is amazing.
Same glitch happened when I was playing today too. I haven't really kept up with patch notes or even played lately but I thought this was fixed already? Forgive me if I am wrong though.

Running does feel slower now that I have started playing again and I hate it. :mad:

Drewfonse said:
I'm not trying to be an ass, but the fact that it will be the best looking R game should be a given. What is worrying a lot of people is that the MP beta is not a looker, to put it mildly. Neither was the lackluster "old code" boat demo from a few months back. I'm anticipating a pretty big SP visual jump from that boat demo to the final code. Accurate assessment?

Haven't played the boat demo, but it certainly looks much better than the MP beta.

Massa

Loudninja said:

vader.jpg

Thrakier

Hero of Canton said:
Haven't played the boat demo, but it certainly looks much better than the MP beta.

No, it doesn't. It's as blurry as the MP beta. No wonders, because it's the same engine.

Also, Eurogamer/Digital Foundry already stated that the Boat level in the final/preview code does look about the same as in the demo, so please, don't expect a huge jump. Insomniac wouldn't be so dumb to release a demo to the public which is not representing the quality of the final game.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Toning down motion blur in SP is a big downer tbh, I thought JS said that they was just toning it down in the MP originally?, [Options Menu] > [Motion Blur : On/Off] or [Motion Blur : Full/Med/Off], Job done, I wonder why dev's rarely give us any of these types of minor graphical options in their games?, surely it can't be a development time issue?, having the FOV and Unlock Frames options in Bioshock was a God send, I really wish more dev's followed suit.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I want this game nao!! I CANT WAIT!! I DONT WANT TO WAIT!! ;__;

Loudninja

lowrider007 said:
Toning down motion blur in SP is a big downer tbh, I thought JS said that they was just toning it down in the MP originally?, [Options Menu] > [Motion Blur : On/Off] or [Motion Blur : Full/Med/Off], Job done, I wonder why dev's rarely give us any of these types of minor graphical options in their games?, surely it can't be a development time issue?, having the FOV and Unlock Frames options in Bioshock was a God send, I really wish more dev's followed suit.
They never said they tone down anything in SP.

Thrakier said:
No, it doesn't. It's as blurry as the MP beta. No wonders, because it's the same engine.

Also, Eurogamer/Digital Foundry already stated that the Boat level in the final/preview code does look about the same as in the demo, so please, don't expect a huge jump. Insomniac wouldn't be so dumb to release a demo to the public which is not representing the quality of the final game.

Okay, 'much' is a slight exaggeration, but there's more going on in the SP game and that makes it more visually interesting. I wouldn't say it's 'blurry' either. Sub-HD? Sure, but I've never minded that. I often think games can look too obviously gamey (for want of a better word) when they're all sharp edges and shiny textures. I'd rather have something with great lighting, splendid effects and that runs smoothly when the action gets busy, and this does. And if the trade-off is that it's a little softer around the edges, I'll happily accept that.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
darkwing said:
lol its almost Tuesday
lol i have to wait an extra week until my importer gets it. lol

lol

Fersis

jstevenson said:
good lord folks, don't freak out. it's still all well-implemented and looks good. It's just not that combo of DOF/blur/whatever that was making people ill in MP.

5 days!
So.. what about the jump height and clumsy ladder animation?

darkwing said:
wow where are you now?

you are going to get creamed by guys with Atomizers after a week mwahahaha
Argentina games are not officially released here. (At least PS3 games)
Oh and Bullseye FTW!

So, I just jumped into the beta for a good 45 minutes and I'm sorry to have to play the devil's advocate here, but I really don't see what all the fuss is about. What is special about this game? Where is the hook, the x-factor that'll pull me away from my battlefields, my dutiful calls and my warring gears?

The mechanics are ho-hum; the animation is mediocre to shocking (dat melee/dat serious lack of head-bobbing); the weapons lack "oomph"... It's just so standard. The 60fps was nice, but it staggered like a motherfucker a noticeable amount of times (I'm not sure if this was game engine or connection related).

Everything about it - and I know it's a beta, but it's not like they can do much ironing-out in a week - just oozed mediocrity and a sense of being extremely rushed.

DUNNOMAN. Maybe it's just not my thing. I wasn't sucking or anything, but if first impressions are anything to go by, I really don't see the potential.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
mickcenary said:
The 60fps was nice, but it staggered like a motherfucker a noticeable amount of times (I'm not sure if this was game engine or connection related).

the staggering is something that will be fixed in a patch next week. We finally cleared up other issues we thought we causing it but weren't, and then found the underlying bug this week and it's in a patch.

oh, and besides that, it's a locked 30fps - looks good no?

BeeDog

jstevenson said:
the staggering is something that will be fixed in a patch next week. We finally cleared up other issues we thought we causing it but weren't, and then found the underlying bug this week and it's in a patch.

I assume staggering means "judder"/framerate drops, so right now it's definitely not locked 30 fps; far from it. I hope the patch cleans it up, but it's surprising it's not there in the retail version...

Fersis

BeeDog said:
It's obvious that if they don't want to answer these questions, then they won't be fixed.
Damn you and your obviousness!! ;)

jstevenson said:

Im pleased by these news.

JS you should try to convince the coders to write an article in the R&Section about these bugs.
Really interesting stuff.

Oh and the level designers of Train Yard should write one to!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
BeeDog said:
I assume staggering means "judder"/framerate drops, so right now it's definitely not locked 30 fps; far from it. I hope the patch cleans it up, but it's surprising it's not there in the retail version...

correct, there are frame drops at points in MP, which is what we're working to fix for one of our first patches. we thought it was related to the same things causing lag issues, but they are actually separate issues and we're fixing the frame drops now (a couple of the lag causing items are in progress too).

BeeDog

jstevenson said:
correct, there are frame drops at points in MP, which is what we're working to fix for one of our first patches. we thought it was related to the same things causing lag issues, but they are actually separate and we're fixing it now.

A small question; the obvious framedrops that occur right at the moment when you're killed and the killcam takes over, are they also fixed? To be honest, that part annoys me more than actual ingame frame drops.

Loudninja

jstevenson said:
correct, there are frame drops at points in MP, which is what we're working to fix for one of our first patches. we thought it was related to the same things causing lag issues, but they are actually separate issues and we're fixing the frame drops now (a couple of the lag causing items are in progress too).
Nice, so I guess the beta was a huge success?

I like that Resistance 3, on a purely thematic level, feels like an FPS that has moved on from the "oh gosh unexpected invasion somewhere we never thought we were weak" post-9/11 trauma and/or Iraqi-invasion theme that so much of the genre is stuck in (plus, often, a heaping load of right-wing paranoia) and is instead centered around a much more post-2008 cultural concern: in a time that seems occasionally apocalyptic, will our children have worse lives and fewer chances than we had? It's something I wouldn't mind seeing more games explore, since it's certainly a bit part of the current-day cultural zeitgeist.

Hell.....Played the MP for the first time yesterday and while it was decent the graphics looked really awful to the SP demo I played at Gamescom. I know, I know, it's not about graphics, but damn....compared to the SP graphics the MP demo graphics looked really poor to me tbh :/

Thrakier

Hero of Canton said:
I wouldn't say it's 'blurry' either. Sub-HD? Sure, but I've never minded that.

There really is no difference between blurry and Sub-HD and it's definitly not the case for R3 if you judge it by the beta.

Top Bottom