• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA News, Information, & Beta Thread

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Did you ever play Aion? The community for that game was equally terrible,

Word. Luckily for me, the guild I was in had 100+ members and we already had an alliance with another guild (All Out Assault).

We were pretty much wrecking Elyos wherever we could find them.

I'm fine with whatever server we go. I'm just more concerned about the members new to MMO's that might get discouraged due to how unforgiving PVP servers and their players can be.

Rinoa

Just wanted to confirm this for anyone who still believed the IGN code might have magic powers and work for the rest of the beta. Once they announced the 7 gig patch, I tried logging in with my account that used the IGN code, was told my account had expire and it showed the IGN trial description. Pre-ordered from En Masse's website and could patch right away.

Yea, this is what I'm doing. Also our next beta is in 2 weeks.. so long.

Some additional information about the EU CBT1 this weekend:

CBT 1 will be held from Friday, 17th of February 2012 to Sunday, 19th of February 2012.
Our severs will be available within the following timeframes on each test day:

15:00 / 3 pm to 00:00 / midnight

All times are CET / GMT +1.

We’ll have three servers active with a level cap of 22. CBT 1 will feature two PvE servers and one PvP server.

PvP server details:

Duel & group duels are available
PK system is active
Players will be able to obtain the necessary outlaw skill for PK at level 11 in Velika. Please note that there is a small bug related to the quest for obtaining this skill. You’ll need to find a specific NPC which nameplate is currently not displayed correctly. If you read the quest description you should still be able to find the correct NPC without a proper nameplate and interact with it. This issue will be fixed in future updates.
Player protection is active up to level 10.
No penalty for player kills on PvP servers.
Guild versus Guild system active
Cooldown timer: 24 hours
Duration of battle: 24 hours
Points required for victory: 2000 (guild master kill: 10 points / member kill: 1 point)

The PK and guild versus guild system is not active on PvE servers.

Everyone will be able to create 2 characters on each server. CBT 1 will be conducted on the English client. Later tests will include a higher level cap, more character slots and localized clients. Your characters won’t be deleted until the end of CBT 5.

Everyone who redeemed a valid pre-order or CBT key will be able to participate at CBT 1.

It looks like the tests will only be 9 hours per day for EU.

Yea, this is what I'm doing. Also our next beta is in 2 weeks.. so long.

Only 7 days now!

Rinoa

Is the only way for EU players to get on NA servers with a proxy? Some of us want to play with EU friends and they're making it hard.

huh? En Masse isn't IP blocking EU IPs as far as they've said..

They're blocking asian IP addresses.. from china,japan, hong kong, etc.

You'll need a NA key to access the NA servers, though.. and you'll have to download the NA client.

It is being run by different companies.. Frogster in the EU and En Masse in the US

Feep

Banned
I think you're doing a slight disservice by saying MMO combat generally sucks. For the most part high level hotkey-based MMO combat has huge amounts of twitch-gaming based skill in addition to situational awareness and understanding what your opponent is going to do and reacting appropriately. The problem is this sort of depth often requires a large mental time investment outside of the game which puts the casual player at a huge disadvantage.

Guild Wars won't really be any different in that regard. If you don't understand the meta game you will be at a huge disadvantage just like any other MMO.

Tera does have some interesting elements going for it as it tries to hybridize the hotkey-MMO and a more action oriented system; I'm interested to see how it compares to Age of Conan which did a fairly decent jon depending on what class you were playing (Bear Shaman is one of the better designed classes of any MMO). Certainly looking forward to trying out a Mystic when it releases; if they can pull off a free roaming healer/support class properly I will be very impressed.

Also: Dragon Nest still has the best MMO twitch combat system but suffers from unfortunately terrible content. DFO isn't half bad either with far worse balance problems.

I'm surprised you feel that MMO's when played at a high level lack advantages for more skilled players; what games have you played where you feel that is prevalent?
I did not say MMO's do not give advantages to skilled players ("skilled", in this case, generally meaning min-maxing and research). I said it's boring. And it is. Hitting hotkeys is not fun, in my opinion, and does not give the player any visceral sense of combat.

Rinoa

You'll need a NA key to access the NA servers, though.. and you'll have to download the NA client.

It is being run by different companies.. Frogster in the EU and En Masse in the US

Thanks, i'll let peeps know.

Can anyone here with a EU account help me validate something?

I had a sneak-peek key and bought a 5€ mini-preorder though I only entered the sneak-peek key for now as I heard the mini-preorder might override it in some cases.

So in preparation for tomorrows beta I wanted to add my mini-preorder code and my account still said: Active

I proceeded to enter the preorder code and it was accepted, it showed a popup saying:

Trial: Active
Preorder: Active

and something of the white horse mount, though even after logging out and back in again it still only shows:

Account Type: Trial Account
Account Status: Active

Am I good to go or is something messed up?

Tesseract

Banned
No PVP penalties
No level restrictions (higher level killing lower levels)
Griefing/Trolling/Ganking
Highly stressful and competitive environment (don't mind the competition but don't need the stress)

all seem like positives to me. pvp is at its best when it is gnarly.

Why is there seemingly a patch and why is it so large for US tera. It feels like it is dling the whole 15 gigs again...which is not cool thanks to bw caps.

edit: Patch 16.03.04 introduces a number of fixes and adds high-resolution textures to the game. Since this latest patch is 7 GB in size

really 7 gb =(

Boken

Banned
Didn't play vindictus a ton, but I did play a fair bit of dragon nest.

Compared to dragon nest, TERA is less "actiony". There's frame locking, there are less ways to cancel moves, less moves to perform and it's less combo based. That said though, the TERA combat system feels alright in a proper mmo.

Compared to dragon nest, TERA is less "actiony". There's frame locking, there are less ways to cancel moves, less moves to perform and it's less combo based. That said though, the TERA combat system feels alright in a proper mmo.

ahh ok. Played a fair bit of Dragon Nest, but the repetitiveness catchs on way quicker then your typical hotkey 1234 mmo.

So TERA combat is actiony but not enough in which you can go on half day grinds without tired fingers?

PvP servers are just "kill anyone at any time with no warning whatsoever and no penalties"? That's...not good IMO.

So basically you can't trust anyone at any time because they might jump you, and since the battle system is a "aim at something and hit it" unlike the old Tab targeting MMOs you can accidentally kill someone while you're trying to hit a monster? If so, that pretty much sucks to me.

Chris Hager at EME posted that there will be no PVP penalties during CBT2. He personally prefers a more risk/reward oriented system but wants to try a penalty free rule set and see what the feedback is like from the community.

I think its cool that they are actually trying different things in beta. They are actually using a beta for its intended purpose which is almost unheard of in MMOGs pre launch! He's also giving the community all the rope it needs to hang itself with too, you can bet that if a bunch of people do an 8 hour zerg on everyone who dares step out if town in CB2 they will certainly impose strict limits on PvP going forward.

Never played Aion but that doesn't sound good at all.

Oh, it was good. For us. I'm sure the poor Asmos who couldn't leave town for hours to quest and level up were sad though. My point was that open world PvP is funny when YOU are the zerg, YOU are doing all the ganking and griefing. In Aion I was in a guild of 300+ people. It was Asmos for dinner all day long for us.

GAF is going to have a small guild in Tera. We are not the kind of guild which would do well in open world unrestricted PvP. Because that kind of PvP is predicated on whose zerg is bigger, and jumping on a solo guy from behind when you have 5.people in your gank party. There is no such thing as a fair fight in open world PvP, because what's the point of putting yourself in a situation where you might lose? That's dumb.

Xiaoki

Russia is blocked

Tesseract

Banned
PvP servers are just "kill anyone at any time with no warning whatsoever and no penalties"? That's...not good IMO.

So basically you can't trust anyone at any time because they might jump you, and since the battle system is a "aim at something and hit it" unlike the old Tab targeting MMOs you can accidentally kill someone while you're trying to hit a monster? If so, that pretty much sucks to me.

hell yeah, dude. am i the only one who thinks this is fucking rad? the only thing that's missing is me being able to steal your loot and gold.

There is a flagging system in place to prevent friendly fire. You flag yourself as an "Outlaw" and can then kill any player, level 11 or higher. Once someone is flagged as an "Outlaw", anyone can attack them, whether they are flagged or not.

I think its cool that they are actually trying different things in beta. They are actually using a beta for its intended purpose which is almost unheard of in MMOGs pre launch! He's also giving the community all the rope it needs to hang itself with too, you can bet that if a bunch of people do an 8 hour zerg on everyone who dares step out if town in CB2 they will certainly impose strict limits on PvP going forward.

Exactly. I think there will be limits imposed eventually and I have a feeling PVP in CBT2 is going to be pretty chaotic. I just hope EME can come up with a fair and balanced risk/reward system before it's too late.

hell yeah, dude. am i the only one who thinks this is fucking rad? the only thing that's missing is me being able to steal your loot and gold.

PVP purists feel exactly the same way but they are probably in the minority, despite being the most vocal in forums.

Arveene

Neo Member

You're not the only one, but I feel like we are a minority here. I'll be rolling on a PvP server still along with Yin most likely. I can't see CBT2 changing that, but we'll see how it goes.

I agree with Feep, Dragon Nest has a better combat system than TERA. More actionny, more options which makes the player more involved. I'd rate Vindictus even higher than Dragon Nest though.

Vindictus action combat feels pretty much spot on for me, it's really similar to Monster Hunter or Demon's/Dark Souls system. High risk/reward system, you can't spam your attacks/skills at all because of the short stamina bar. Keeps the player on his toes all the time. If you get hit even once against bosses, you're in for troubles. Not to mention the physics engine is pretty good (think it's actually Valve's Source engine), lot of destructibility and items/rubbles you can use at your advantage.

I got two characters to level 22 during TERA sneak peek event (berserker and sorcerer) and whilst the game is really impressive graphically, I felt pretty disconnected with the action itself. BAMs and the Secret Base dungeon were fun enough but it wasn't as intense as I expected, it feels a bit "artificial" with hotkeys pressing, I hoped we would get more freedom with the control of our characters.

I'll play a few more CBTs, see if the game gets more challenging but it felt pretty grindy/repetitive up to level 22 so far.

kiryogi

Banned
Id say in terms of combat, it's Vindictus> PSO2 > Tera. That said however, Tera is still accolades beyond any other MMO/online game that isn't the first two.

Well, keep in mind it's a more traditional MMO in comparison to Vindictus or Dragon's Nest, so it's expected to have a heavier time investment when it comes to character progression.

Very true, TERA's structure feels very traditionnal/old school. I hadn't played MMOs in a while until I tried Dragon's Nest and Vindictus not so long ago and I was surprised in a good way by their gameplay oriented structure.

I assumed that was the direction the MMO genre took over the past few years but maybe those 2 games are just exceptions rather than the norm.

I agree with Feep, Dragon Nest has a better combat system than TERA. More actionny, more options which makes the player more involved. I'd rate Vindictus even higher than Dragon Nest though.

Vindictus action combat feels pretty much spot on for me, it's really similar to Monster Hunter or Demon's/Dark Souls system. High risk/reward system, you can't spam your attacks/skills at all because of the short stamina bar. Keeps the player on his toes all the time. If you get hit even once against bosses, you're in for troubles. Not to mention the physics engine is pretty good (think it's actually Valve's Source engine), lot of destructibility and items/rubbles you can use at your advantage.

I got two characters to level 22 during TERA sneak peek event (berserker and sorcerer) and whilst the game is really impressive graphically, I felt pretty disconnected with the action itself. BAMs and the Secret Base dungeon were fun enough but it wasn't as intense as I expected, it feels a bit "artificial" with hotkeys pressing, I hoped we would get more freedom with the control of our characters.

I'll play a few more CBTs, see if the game gets more challenging but it felt pretty grindy/repetitive up to level 22 so far.

Is dragon nest a real MMO? Cause Vindictus isn't. It's just a 4 player coop game with an mmo hub. It's easier to make an action game like that.

I'm impressed TERA works the way it does considering it's an actual MMO.

Effect

Been slowly downloading at night and 66% complete. Hopefully I should be done by tonight or Saturday. Off today so might let it run during the day as well.

Those of you hoping that Tera's PvP will be like original UO will probably be disappointed come launch. I'm betting EME has their best trollfaces on and are hoping the community tears itself to shreds on the CB2 PvP server so they have an excuse to implement the Korean-style penalties system for PKing come launch and if anybody complains about it they'll just point to how terrible the CB2 PvP server was and how you couldn't even step out of Lumbertown without being instantly ganked and laugh at everyone who brought it on themselves.

Id say in terms of combat, it's Vindictus> PSO2 > Tera. That said however, Tera is still accolades beyond any other MMO/online game that isn't the first two.

Unless PSO2 is dramatically different from PSO/PSU, neither Vindictus nor PSO2 are really MMOGs. They are more like Diablo except with an MMOG-style shared lobby. Tera is really an MMOG from start to finish, the only thing which might be like it is GW2.

Those of you hoping that Tera's PvP will be like original UO will probably be disappointed come launch. I'm betting EME has their best trollfaces on and are hoping the community tears itself to shreds on the CB2 PvP server so they have an excuse to implement the Korean-style penalties system for PKing come launch and if anybody complains about it they'll just point to how terrible the CB2 PvP server was and how you couldn't even step out of Lumbertown without being instantly ganked and laugh at everyone who brought it on themselves.

And I think they're going to get exactly what they want because everyone who reads that it'll be uninterrupted ganking is reacting with "FUCK YEAH! ZERG BLOBS!" and then suggest they should also be able to loot someone dry of all their items.

I'm going to try it, but I'm expecting a shit show of the highest order.

OTIX

Something strange going on. I had 16x AF turned on in Inspector as usual since there's generally no fps hit. It didn't look like it was working though so I turned it off to check, there's maybe a small difference but not as much as there should be, and for some reason I gained 20 fps by turning it off.

I'm glad someone out there feels the same way as me. I think we are a bit spoiled by Vindictus's combat system, which is ridiculously tight for an online game.

That said, I think Tera and GW2 are headed in the right direction, so will be supporting both with my $$.

God damn didn't realise there was such a huge patch :/

Got my code from amazon.de thankfully, and am downlaoding the patch. But it will be 2 hours + before I can play. And the 11 PM (UK Time) server shut down is disappointing, won't get to play much :/

SDBurton

And I think they're going to get exactly what they want because everyone who reads that it'll be uninterrupted ganking is reacting with "FUCK YEAH! ZERG BLOBS!" and then suggest they should also be able to loot someone dry of all their items.

I'm going to try it, but I'm expecting a shit show of the highest order.

It will certainly be entertaining to see, both in-game and on the forums.

Excluding the kind of no rules pvp accidents like in D2 where your inventory would spill out and not just your ear, I enjoy being ganked a thousand times, it just fills my revenge meter.

What I am saying is that even if I am the one getting pwned as soon as I walk through the town barrier, I don't want that feature removed. I can deeply appreciate it.

Excluding the kind of no rules pvp accidents like in D2 where your inventory would spill out and not just your ear, I enjoy being ganked a thousand times, it just fills my revenge meter.

In a game like this you'll need to fill your Friends list as well, 1 vs. 50 over and over again isn't going to get you any revenge that you'll be satisfied with.

We should all roll on the PvP server in CB2 just for the hell of it and travel everywhere in gangs of 5, even just doing solo leveling. That way we'll be able to level up without being molested too unduly by gankers and if we arrive at a spot and see that our quest mobs are taken by anybody, we can solve that problem right away. :3

What's the URL? I couldn't find it in the OP.

http://tera-gaf.enjin.com/

Damn, beaten by RKZ.

OTIX

And I just upgraded my gear and sold the old one with the crystals still in it... for the millionth time. Having to unequip and reequip your crystals every time you change weapon or armour is a pretty weird system, especially with no buyback.

SDBurton

We should all roll on the PvP server in CB2 just for the hell of it and travel everywhere in gangs of 5, even just doing solo leveling. That way we'll be able to level up without being molested too unduly by gankers and if we arrive at a spot and see that our quest mobs are taken by anybody, we can solve that problem right away. :3

I'm down for that. I'll heal for the group with my priest. :D

http://tera-gaf.enjin.com

I just added it to the websites section. I keep hitting my post limit and have to reformat stuff to add new things. Will definitely reserve more posts for the OT...

And I just upgraded my gear and sold the old one with the crystals still in it... for the millionth time. Having to unequip and reequip your crystals every time you change weapon or armour is a pretty weird system, especially with no buyback.

Yeah this bothered me too, there's a lot of niggly little issues I have with the game, this is definitely one of the more odd ones.

Wow

Here's my experience so far

Play a bit, crash, play a bit, crash, play a bit, crash... BSOD

The fuck? The last client was perfectly stable for me, and it seems to have fucked up since the patch. Awesome.

SDBurton

Wow

Here's my experience so far

Play a bit, crash, play a bit, crash, play a bit, crash... BSOD

The fuck? The last client was perfectly stable for me, and it seems to have fucked up since the patch. Awesome.

Really, damn. Check out the forums if you haven't already and see if others are having the same issue.

Jinko

Bleh I see the sneak peak key doesn't work for CB1 on EU client.

Nice, downloaded 30-40 GB's and then lock me out, bishes.

Well I ain't pre-ordering your shit !

Well funnily enough it didn't crash at all after that BSOD lol

Lame that it closed so early though :/

Played a male castanic warrior, pretty fun class though the castanic male looks the greatest douchebag anyone could create.

Nopren

Bleh I see the sneak peak key doesn't work for CB1 on EU client.

Nice, downloaded 30-40 GB's and then lock me out, bishes.

Well I ain't pre-ordering your shit !

Weird. I bought the sneak peek key last week, and have had no problem getting in last weekend and today.

And despite some grim lag it was a pretty smooth experience. No disconnects or crashes. Though it was a bit tiring waiting around and spawncamping mobs. It was heavily crowded in the starting zones.

Top Bottom