• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

List your top 3 fighting games!

Narasaki

nothing wrong with it on casual level, other than that I would have to write paragraphs. It's not a bad game, just not as good as OG 2k2 for competitive play, not just the gameplay has problems, but also some other areas with the graphical decisions (backgrounds).

KOF stop being artistically beautiful in 2000's. KOFXI kind of try to comes back in that regard (mostly the new sprites for special guest characters. Kizuna encounter and Buriki one chars look amazing on that game)

I really can't understand how poeple can find beauty in Kof 2k2. I mean, it's not disgusting like 2k1, but the music is super mediocre and it has stages as bad as this:
hqdefault.jpg

and the super uber combo-oriented gameplay that game started also marked the decline of the franchise

KOF stop being artistically beautiful in 2000's.

UM is just an inferior game for quite a few reasons. The stages are not really the main argument for that conclusion at all.

If you want to only talk about the stages go ahead, at least they're cohesive in OG 2k2. I didn't say they where beautiful. UM - different resolution from the characters - some characters sprite rips and seem to have been upscaled (King), the stages are the same contrast as the foreground characters and eye bleach (beach stage and fun fair stage) and are extremely "busy".

2k2 ultras are rarely used and a novelty for the most part. I'd write more on the gameplay differences and balance but it'll be too long and OT.

tav7623

1. Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS1 version)
2. Mortal Kombat XL
3. Tekken Tag Tournament

Honorable Mentions: Killer Instinct (2013), Ultra Street Fighter IV, Tekken 5, Mortal Kombat 9, Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike Online Edition, Mortal Kombat 2

shogunduk

i didn't really get into fighting games until the end of 2016. based on my limited experience i would say:

1. Guilty Gear Xrd Rev2
2. Tekken 7
3. SFV

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
KOF stop being artistically beautiful in 2000's. KOFXI kind of try to comes back in that regard (mostly the new sprites for special guest characters. Kizuna encounter and Buriki one chars look amazing on that game)

I really can't understand how poeple can find beauty in Kof 2k2. I mean, it's not disgusting like 2k1, but the music is super mediocre and it has stages as bad as this:
hqdefault.jpg

and the super uber combo-oriented gameplay that game started also marked the decline of the franchise
hey wtf you got against dutchies ?

2D

1. Street Fighter 2
2. Third Strike
3. KoF 98 UM

3D

1. Virtua Fighter 5 FS
2. UFC (Dreamcast)
3. Soul Calibur

Runner ups: Alpha 2, Tobal 2, SF3: 2nd Impact ( for art and soundtrack)

sublimit

Banned
1)Tekken 5 Dark Ressurection Online (my favorite fighting game ever)
2)Tekken Tag Tournament
3)Tekken 3 (my first fighting game that i put hundreds of hours in it)

1. Street Fighter III 3rd Strike
2. Garou: Mark of the Wolves
3. Killer Instinct (2013)

Runner-up is probably Capcom vs. SNK 2.

1. SF3: Third Strike
2. Killer Instinct (Xbox)
3. Super SFIV

3rd Strike will always be my favourite but I probably put more time into Super SF4 and actually got pretty good at it at the time. Killer Instinct I've absolutely loved this Gen, it's still probably my no1 Xb1 game.

Honorable mention to VF4:Evo

1. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Even with all the broken bits, I still find it extremely fun to play today, moreso than Infinite)

2. Soul Calibur II

3. Street Fighter Alpha 3

entremet

1. Super Street Fighter 2 (Not Turbo. I prefer the prequel)

The SF2 series is my favorite, but this is my favorite installment. Loved the tweaks, new CPS2 soundtrack, new characters. ST was too fast and had a brutal SP mode. Moreover, I played these tons in both arcades and home on SNES.

2. Marvel Super Heroes

The perfect Marvel fighting game before it became Versus central.

3. DarkStalkers/Night Warriors (Kinda cheating)

Beautiful animation and music. Great SF2 style gameplay as well.

Honorable mentions:
Tekken 2/3 (peak of the series IMO)
Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
VF5
SFA series. I love them all equally. The first had a fun combo system. The second had the best music and backgrounds. The third had my favorite gameplay and announcer.
X-Men: COTA. Gorgeous game that started the Marvel/Capcom fighting game partnership.

DKPOWPOW

Smash Bros (4,Brawl, Melee) would take up this whole list, so I'm just gonna pick 1 game per fighting series.

1. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Although I put more time into Brawl and Melee, I love this game. It really feels like a great mixture of the 2 before it. The online play was exactly what I wanted from Brawl, and the lineup of characters was amazing (except for the lack of Snake).

2. Super Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Man oh man, my cousin and I played this game so much. Everything was great, the art style, gameplay, characters, just fucking ace.

3. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (DC)

This game, no matter how many years pass by its still a joy to play. Sure it may not be the most balanced, but damn is it fun. Jin is a beast.

Honorable mentions:

Power Stone 2 (DC)
Soul Calibur II (GC)
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (Wii)
Dead or Alive 3 (XB)
Naruto: Clash of Ninja 4 (GC)
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution (PS2)
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PS2)
Killer Instinct Gold (N64)

stn

This is impossible for me to do, so I'll just list my #1 along with unranked favorites

1. Super Street Fighter II (ST and HDR).

Street Fighter X Tekken
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter V
Tekken 5
Tekken 7
CVS2
3rd Strike
Alpha 1-3
Dead Or Alive 4, 5: LR
Fatal Fury Special
KOF 14
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct Gold
Killer Instinct (2013)
Injustice 1, 2

...I basically like all fighting games.

Virtua Fighter (my personal favorite is VF 4 Evolution, Final Tuned arcade, VF 5, Final Showdown)

Tekken (Tekken 1 - 5 DR)

Mortal Kombat (all)

ThaPhantom

Dead Or Alive 3
Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
Bloody Roar 3

Not saying they take the most skill but these 3 have been the ones I have sunk the most time into and had the most fun with since I was a kid. Smash would be in there if we are counting non-traditional fighting games.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
This is a fun thread. Always fun to see what fighting game fans are enjoying. For me, there are too many great brawlers to choose, especially on my beloved Sega Saturn.

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike - Loved this game on the Dreamcast, and I've always gone back and forth between Third Strike and Alpha 3 as my all-time favorite Street Fighter. For now, I'll choose the newer title, thanks to its wonderfully fluid animation, great character roster and back-to-basics gameplay. Also, the music absolutely kicks.

Fighters Megamix - Normally, I'd say Virtua Fighter 2 is the best fighting game on Saturn, certainly the one that shocked and dazzled the most when it was new. That said, the game is extremely unbalanced (there is a definite pecking order), and the expanded moves and techniques in VF3/Megamix is much more entertaining. This game is just pure unadulterated fun. Yes, half the characters are "joke characters." So what? The gameplay flows like greased lightning, is endlessly exciting and immensely deep. And I get to beat up the Daytona car.

Asuka 120% Burning Fest. LTD. - For my third entry, I'm choosing a title that has never achieved more than cult status, but is nonetheless one of the true classics of the Japanese Saturn library. Gameplay is extremely swift and intense, combos and strategies are fairly easy to learn, and matches can quickly elevate (or devolve) into sensational 20-hit combo smackdowns. I also really enjoy the graphics, which are bright and colorful, and feature solid animation in its fighters. There's no animation whatsoever in the backgrounds, but what do you expect from a videogame made by only two guys? Seriously, check Asuka out by any means necessary.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
1. Street Fighter II Turbo - played it in the arcade and got it for SNES. As a kid I fell in love with the characters and their moves. I would even play this at every pizza buffet id visit.
2. Mortal Kombat II - very realistic and a lot of fun. I was big into the MK lore and I wanted to know everything. I'd even play this on GameBoy.
3. X-Men vs. Street Fighter - I had this on PSX when it came out and in the last 3 or so years I bought the Saturn version boxed. I love the entire cast of characters and the animations for all the moves.

I would say all the VS games because the arcade in the mall up here (closed now) had all the VS games and I'd play all of them in a circle.

Tekken Tag Tournament was when I met a few friends back in high school and it felt great to play at any time of the day. I don't know if I should have listed this as number 2 or 3, but it's definitely up there. It's hard because I have such amazing memories playing Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag.

MrDanGuy

Soul Calibur
Ready 2 Rumble
Dragon Ball Budokai (rip middle of hand)

These are my favorite, and I know they aren’t the “best” in the genre.

ehead

Ah man, this is going to be hard. I'll probably be basing it on most memorable experiences instead. Anyway, here's mine:

1.) Marvel vs Capcom or Tatsunoko vs Capcom - I think this is unfair but it's from the same vs Capcom series. I love both, and spent dozens of hours/tokens playing.

2.) Street Fighter 4 Ultra - Art style took quite a while to get used to but the game played so well.

3.) Garou: Mark of the Wolves - Another arcade game that I spent so much time on. Love the art and animation.

Runner-ups:
Smash 64, Fighters Destiny (I miss this game so much), Soul Calibur series, and Samurai Showdown series.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Killer instinct on snes
Marvelvscapcom 2
Guilty gear xx

Yeah i like combo heavy games

Top Bottom