• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not even Wake-Up Club can save the Vita

bigace33

What's up with gaf being happy when a great console died? jeez...

I'm not happy. I want this thing to succeed, but looking at things realistically, it's not doing so good. I'm actually a bit angry that it seems like Sony is oblivious to this thing tanking.

Hattori

Banned
So people don't actually buy off PSN like reasonable people would? Weird.

That is if Sony would price-drop the goddamn memory card prices/upgrade the memory card capacity AND sell shit at reasonable prices after they age. (some PSP titles are still $40 despite being 6 years old)

So wanting a physical copy of something I buy is unreasonable? times sure have change...

Vesper73

Nintendo fanboys?

You wish. As he said, it's just a fact. I love games, but the Vita is on the way out. If you can't see that, then YOU are a fanboy.

Market dynamics have so radically shifted in the last few year, that no company is immune.

Don't take it personally, we are all along for the ride.

Let's not even mention how tablets have thrown all this shit up in the air.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Lol this thread will definitely help Sony get up and "save" vita.

Off topic: Op's avatar looks like he's slowing somebody's kids LMFAO what is that avatar Op?

I think it's Prince Fatty Fielder getting champagne dumped on him.

I hate those boxes, only because whenever I open one I expect a manual and get nothing. NOTHING!

Guess what boyo, most games are like that now! :O

Nintendo fanboys?

I don't celebrate till FE is fucking localised in Europe GOD-DANG IT!
Anyway, I don't think anyones happy - its just this was very foreseeable.

I think though anyone enjoying this is just not a handheld fan. Am no fan of Vita (in fact I think its riddled with errors and just seems to have no strategy or thought behind it); but I know I like the look of some of those games.

I'd quite like to see a Gravity Rush on PS4. I know that.

Vesper73

I'm not happy. I want this thing to succeed, but looking at things realistically, it's not doing so good. I'm actually a bit angry that it seems like Sony is oblivious to this thing tanking.

I really don't think it's Sony's fault. Companies making games have to make proper financial decisions, and with the myriad of platforms, (particularly in an age of tablets), companies will go with install base every time.

Like it or not, tablets are DIRECT competition for these platforms, even if they don't provide the best gaming environment.

These days, you'll never be able to sell a gaming handheld over a tablet, (given the extra utility that comes with a tablet over a dedicated gaming platform).

Just today, I was in awe over the crowd around the ipad mini and android tablets. I've never seen its equal around a gaming handheld.

Everyone simply stops in their tracks when around a tablet of any kind.

Massa

Those little blue boxes are so cute though. Gotta have them.

Also: retail is cheaper and I like saving monies

That's kind of the problem. Retail is cheaper simply because it exists and Sony is too afraid to have an aggressive digital store that undercuts it. Maybe they'll wake up to it someday.

rockx4

Those little blue boxes are so cute though. Gotta have them.

Also: retail is cheaper and I like saving monies

Not only is retail cheaper, but when you're done with a game you can pass the savings onto someone else! While also recouping some of the cost back... lol.

bigace33

I really don't think it's Sony's fault. Companies making games have to make proper financial decisions, and with the myriad of platforms, (particularly in an age of tablets), companies will go with install base.

Like it or not, tablets are DIRECT competition for these platforms, even if they don't provide the best gaming environment.

Yeah you're probably right, but tablets stink in my opinion. I have a Galaxy tab 10.1 and it pretty much sits in it's box at all times. I have an S3 and A Vita. I thought the Tab would be cool, but its just not useful. If gaming on tabs is the wave of the future, I'm done with portable gaming. I'll take a 3DS or a Vita over them any day.

I own a Vita, I'm upset about this but this photo needed to be shared. Sony needs to wake the fuck up.

Wal Mart is a large supplier no doubt, but the Vita just doesn't seem like the type of item that would sell well in a lot of Wal Marts. For instance where I live on just one road and within a 5 minute drive Wal Mart is competing with a Best Buy, Meijer, Target, Toys R Us, and 2 Gamestops (I don't get why there are 2 gamestops so close either used to be a third in the mall lol). Of all those places Wal Mart would like the last place I would go to buy anything gaming related much less Vita games. Not to mention on some level all of those retailers are competing with the PSN store as well.

Also this all anecdotal to an extent anyways. I have had stores in my area legitimately sell out of Vita games, so obviously that means the Vita is saved. Right?

I do think more needs to be done and select locations not carrying the game is bad if not short sighted on those retailer's part. Hopefully with games like Tearaway, Soul Sacrifice, Killzone and more that I am sure will be announced soon along with a price cut will give the Vita the boost it needs. Who knows the Vita could also get another boost with added functionality with the PS4 as well. Time will tell. In the mean time I got games to play and more to look forward to, I just hope Ys and some others get localized.

If Vita dies this year or soon, I want that Ys game localized and Dragon's Crown released, than I can at least cope a little better with all my wasted money.

jorgeton

Vita section at the best buy and GameStop I went to today was anemic. It was barely two shelves. But, I've bought everything off PSN so far and I think I prefer it that way. I'm down if Vita's main mode of distribution goes digital. It pretty much is for me anyway.

Mileena

Banned
You wish. As he said, it's just a fact. I love games, but the Vita is on the way out. If you can't see that, then YOU are a fanboy.

Market dynamics have so radically shifted in the last few year, that no company is immune.

Don't take it personally, we are all along for the ride.

Let's not even mention how tablets have thrown all this shit up in the air.
What do I wish? I don't even own a Vita. I bounced after Uncharted and Gravity Rush both turned out mediocre and it was very clear Sony has no idea what they're doing with the system. I was just stating the obvious.

Hattori

Banned
digital is handy but I'm a collector at heart, besides years from now I want to be able to play my games hassle free, it protects my investment in case X or Y company ceases operation

GavinGT

Banned
Even if DD is picking up a good portion of the slack in terms of sales (which isn't assured), Vita losing retail presence cannot be construed as anything but a bad sign.

jaxword

Persona 4 is the only Vita game (besides Final Fantasy Thetrhythm) that I'm interested in...you'd think that game would be stocked somewhere.

zroid

Banned
Not only is retail cheaper, but when you're done with a game you can pass the savings onto someone else! While also recouping some of the cost back... lol.

Yeah, pretty much. I generally don't resell games (occasionally I trade them in and re-buy them later, if it benefits my wallet), but having the option to do so is comforting and something I value.

Persona 4 is the only Vita game (besides Final Fantasy Thetrhythm) that I'm interested in...you'd think that game would be stocked somewhere.

I can't tell if this is some sort of pointed jab, lol

Sorcerer

I just don't get why Sony bothers putting handhelds on the market with no intention of truly supporting them.

If PS4 is due this year then Vita won't even get a mention at E3. It barely got mentioned at E3 2012.

Whats Sony's answer?

Drop another handheld in 3-4 years and just let it die with no support.

Why do they keep making the same stupid mistakes over and over again?

Top Bottom