• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

I can see them releasing a couple 4K blu rays almost as experiments here and there, like there's the Wim Wenders film in 3D, and of course the period of blu-ray/dvd bundles. But regardless, streaming, whether with FilmStruck or another iteration is here to stay.

It took Criterion a few years to finally hop on the Blu-ray train didn't it? I guess they wanted to wait and see who would prevail between Blu-ray and HD-DVD. I really don't have a good prediction about Criterion and 4k. Part of me says that it's a no brainer, but I also think that it could possibly be limited. Depending on how niche ultra blus are going to be, I'm not sure if Criterion will upgrade their already released titles like they did for DVD to Blu. I guess we'll see.

So the end is coming to 2014/15... err... I mean 2016. So let's do something fun and make 3 predictions for next year Criterion releases.

#1. Your safe bet pick - Which film are you almost positive Criterion will release in 2017?

#2. Your long shot pick - Which film is probably not going to happen but in the realm of possibility?

#3. Your Blu-ray upgrade pick - Which DVD only film do you most want to see get a Blu-ray release in 2017?

1. The Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Meet The Feebles
3. Europa

berzeli

Banned
2. Haxan

3. ... / Haxan
This one is somewhat likely to happen actually.

It has gotten a new 2K restoration by the Swedish film institute, there will be a screening in like two weeks. Hopefully I'm able to attend and I'll see what I hear from the restoration guy I know there.

codhand

This one is somewhat likely to happen actually.

It has gotten a new 2K restoration by the Swedish film institute, there will be a screening in like two weeks. Hopefully I'm able to attend and I'll see what I hear from the restoration guy I know there.

bad ass

Shiv47

So the end is coming to 2014/15... err... I mean 2016. So let's do something fun and make 3 predictions for next year Criterion releases.

#1. Your safe bet pick - Which film are you almost positive Criterion will release in 2017?

#2. Your long shot pick - Which film is probably not going to happen but in the realm of possibility?

#3. Your Blu-ray upgrade pick - Which DVD only film do you most want to see get a Blu-ray release in 2017?

1) Othello (Welles)
2) Astaire-Rogers box
3) Complete Mr Arkadin

Ridley327

It's the New Years Drawing!

DqESNdk.jpg

Some best guesses already being made:

Sixteen different candles: Sixteen Candles
Twirling ghost: Ghost World
Corn creeping up behind the D guy: Stalker
Pan of noodles: Dheepan
Noodles on the table: Tampopo
Woman at the table: Jeanne Dielman, 23 Commerce Quay, 1080 Brussels upgrade
Caesar statue with fanny pack + S inside of a bridal gown: The Marseilles Trilogy (Cesar, Fanny and Marius)
Gravestone: They Live By Night
Mystery box next to clock: Mysterious Object at Noon

Watching Jules and Jim. Am I crazy or did another movie use the theme from when they're walking through the woods? I want to say Baumbach used it somewhere, maybe Mr. Jealousy?

What was everyone's favorite Criterion release of the year? For me it's probably either The New World or Blood Simple. I thought both knocked it out of the park in the AV department definitely justifying a new Bluray release, really solid extras (the commentary-esque feature for Blood Simple is worth price of admission alone), and nice packaging.

Looking into 2017 I'm beyond excited Stalker will finally get a quality release.

cj_iwakura

What was everyone's favorite Criterion release of the year? For me it's probably either The New World or Blood Simple. I thought both knocked it out of the park in the AV department definitely justifying a new Bluray release, really solid extras (the commentary-esque feature for Blood Simple is worth price of admission alone), and nice packaging.

Looking into 2017 I'm beyond excited Stalker will finally get a quality release.

Lone Wolf and Cub, easily. I only bought that, The Killing, 3:10 to Yuma, and Moonrise Kingdom though.

omgkitty

I need some place to escape the fresh hell that started with 2016 though. At least here I can pretend.

Lol I was just gonna have them remove the years, so it would just be The Criterion Collection. Or we could change it to like Criterion / Arrow / Kino blah blah etc. Any ideas?

It was definitely Mr. Jealousy. I looked it up lol

Am I the only person on Earth who saw that long BEFORE Jules and Jim? This is worse than seeing Pulp Fiction before Goodfellas.

Ridley327

Lol I was just gonna have them remove the years, so it would just be The Criterion Collection. Or we could change it to like Criterion / Arrow / Kino blah blah etc. Any ideas?

Maybe just reworking the title slightly to something like Fancy Movie Releases |OT|: Criterion Collection and More! I don't know if there is a catchy title, but hey.

Steamlord

Fancy Movie Releases |OT| Have Your Criterion Arrow Kino Eureka and Watch It Too

Fancy Movie Releases |OT| cj_iwakura still hasn't seen Goodfellas

SeanC

I think Shout! is looking to outdo their stellar 2016. They're releasing a box set of Pink Panther. (to be specific, the Edwards/Sellars Pink Panther movies...sorry Arkin).

C1cp-xCUkAALfdX.jpg

o The Pink Panther
o A Shot In The Dark
o The Return of the Pink Panther
o The Pink Panther Strikes Again
o Revenge of the Pink Panther
o Trail of the Pink Panther

This is a must buy. I'm a huge fan and even have some Pink Panther memorabilia from the movies.

Sure, some of the later ones weren't great and Trail is barely a movie, but you had a good solid three or four great comedies here. I have the old MGM DVD collection and have been patiently waiting to upgrade. Couldn't be happier that Shout is doing it. Plus they got Return of the Pink Panther which has always had a rights problem and missing from some sets out there.

Good chance they'll have the cartoon shorts on there too. I hope they are able to get the Edwards commentary track from MGM also though that's a long shot (in the dark).

I can't post pics but Arrow is bringing their Donnie Darko set to the US.

The UK is getting an amazing looking Phantasm collection.

Scream Factory announced collector's editions for Lawnmower Man and Slither.

That's a good day.

SeanC

Yeah, Arrow putting some big announcements out today. Another Bava and a Chiba movie for US and UK too!

More awesome is Django Prepare a Coffin coming to the US, must buy for me because I love those movies and I have a shitty DVD that I think is a rip from somewhere else so in bad need of the upgrade.

Top Bottom