• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Izuna

Banned
I am hoping CRU > NVCP for custom resolutions because I can't pick anything that has a non-native refresh rate, which means 100hz is locked to whatever I currently have as my desktop resolution via borderless in many games.

Tripon

gotcha, how are Best Buys "open box" items generally regarded? I noticed they have a few of the 1050ti/IPS models in "excellent" condition for $80-$90 less.
I don't know about the laptops, but I bought an open box dryer from them and it was in good condition with one scratches on them. You should get the full standard warranty provided by the manufacturer even if you still get it open box, if I remember right.

I don't know about the laptops, but I bought an open box dryer from them and it was in good condition with one scratches on them. You should get the full standard warranty provided by the manufacturer even if you still get it open box, if I remember right.

went ahead and ordered one of the open box ones, I figured if it's in bad condition I'll just return it and get a new one. Thanks for your help!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I am hoping CRU > NVCP for custom resolutions because I can't pick anything that has a non-native refresh rate, which means 100hz is locked to whatever I currently have as my desktop resolution via borderless in many games.

CRU?

went ahead and ordered one of the open box ones, I figured if it's in bad condition I'll just return it and get a new one. Thanks for your help!

Buy "open box certified", and be sure to find out the warranty situation.

Izuna

Banned

Custom Resolution Utility

You are able to change what is the "native" resolution.

However, even though 100hz is working, it seems to create some strange colour issue that I'm currently investigating.

I think if you overclock the refresh rate with CRU, then you can downsample with NVCP and you can get both at the same time in a game.

K.Jack

Custom Resolution Utility

You are able to change what is the "native" resolution.

However, even though 100hz is working, it seems to create some strange colour issue that I'm currently investigating.

I think if you overclock the refresh rate with CRU, then you can downsample with NVCP and you can get both at the same time in a game.

Can't you just create multiple custom resolutions with the overclock, via NCP, then select which you want to use in the games?

That's what I do.

Izuna

Banned
Can't you just create multiple custom resolutions with the overclock, via NCP, then select which you want to use in the games?

That's what I do.

At the very least, BioShock Infinite won't display a resolution if it's higher than the native refresh rate. Forza was fine, however.

Anyway it's moot regardless, for some reason I can't do 100hz at 8bpc ;/ not willing to reduce my colour depth. Gunna have to look into why.

edit: yeah, the dream is dead, at 8-bit colour the highest I can go is merely 77Hz ;(

I wish I wasn't able to notice it but I can see it straight away :(

--

here is the comparison
tftcentral_cropped.gif

fml

K.Jack

At the very least, BioShock Infinite won't display a resolution if it's higher than the native refresh rate. Forza was fine, however.

Anyway it's moot regardless, for some reason I can't do 100hz at 8bpc ;/ not willing to reduce my colour depth. Gunna have to look into why.

edit: yeah, the dream is dead, at 8-bit colour the highest I can go is merely 77Hz ;(

I wish I wasn't able to notice it but I can see it straight away :(

--

here is the comparison
tftcentral_cropped.gif

fml

Limitation of the screen. Or should I say, a bandwidth issue, which makes me wonder what what the pin configuration is.

I was recently reading an NBR topic on screen overclocking, and some screens are definitely made better than others. Hell, the screen in my previous GT72 would glitch out above 80Hz, while people with the same laptop could hit 90-100Hz.

I haven't even tried OCing my current screen above the stock 120Hz. I wonder if it could hit 1

Izuna

Banned
Limitation of the screen. Or should I say, a bandwidth issue, which makes me wonder what what the pin configuration is.

I was recently reading an NBR topic on screen overclocking, and some screens are definitely made better than others. Hell, the screen in my previous GT72 would glitch out above 80Hz, while people with the same laptop could hit 90-100Hz.

I haven't even tried OCing my current screen above the stock 120Hz. I wonder if it could hit 1

Hmm, well the thing is, I might as well keep the 100hz overclock at 6-bit colour. Ther dithering tech isn't very convincing but in games, it's hardly noticeable anyways. It makes web browsing a crap ton better.

I just gotta figure out how to get it to appear as a native refreshrate.

shockdude

Hmm, well the thing is, I might as well keep the 100hz overclock at 6-bit colour. Ther dithering tech isn't very convincing but in games, it's hardly noticeable anyways. It makes web browsing a crap ton better.

I just gotta figure out how to get it to appear as a native refreshrate.
Is the 6-bit dithering really that dramatic? I've been using a 6-bit TN monitor for years, and I never notice dithering unless I explicitly look for it. Heck I even got a score of 3 on that color hue test posted in that HDR thread a few weeks back.
Maybe my monitor has a better dithering implementation than yours. If I had to choose between a higher refresh rate and 8-bit color, I'd probably choose the higher refresh rate.

K.Jack

Is the 6-bit dithering really that dramatic? I've been using a 6-bit TN monitor for years, and I never notice dithering unless I explicitly look for it. Heck I even got a score of 3 on that color hue test posted in that HDR thread a few weeks back.
Maybe my monitor has a better dithering implementation than yours. If I had to choose between a higher refresh rate and 8-bit color, I'd probably choose the higher refresh rate.

That is a certainty. Desktop monitors are years beyond laptops, even though the gap has slightly narrowed.

They have more room for tech, and the power requirements are through the roof in comparison. That said, it's much more that laptops are simply too budget constrained. Those beautiful Dreamcolor displays that HP was putting in their $6k workstations, years ago, were over $1k a piece. The average laptop simply can't cost that much.

There are the 4K IGZO panels, but we can't even get high gamut 1080p IPS displays. I think on this often, and it's depressing stuff.

The best display we have now is the 120Hz TN display of the GT73VR. I say that, knowing that the GT75VR is supposed to have some really good panels, as far as color gamut is concerned.

I really just want 100% AdobeRGB coverage and low response time IPS to become standard in high-end machines. We're paying too much for this shit. I'd totally pay an extra $200 for a premium display option.

Izuna

Banned

I got a 0 on that test.

I used to have a U2414H which was frankly incredible to look at (6-bit with FRC I think).

I noticed it immediately with very small banding in the NVCP and the Skype icon has clear spots. I didn't know what was causing it until much later (I thought it was a bug or something).

In games, it's pretty much impossible to notice due to the compression we have anyways, but still...

That said, I'm sticking to it.

--

1. Remove NVCP Custom Resolutions
  2. Create overclocked resolution with NVCP at native resolution
  3. Use CRU to create the same resolution as the highest Detailed resolution (you can copy the timings from NVCP if required)
  4. Reset the Graphics Driver
  5. Create OGSSAA Custom Resolutions in NVCP with overclocked refresh
  6. Restart

Now BioShock Infinite runs my 1440p downscale at 100hz <3

edit: receipts

t8XvgEc.png

~~

TBH, FH3... the sky... I can see the dithering pattern. ;(

shockdude

That is a certainty. Desktop monitors are years beyond laptops, even though the gap has slightly narrowed.

I really just want 100% AdobeRGB coverage and low response time IPS to become standard in high-end machines. We're paying too much for this shit. I'd totally pay an extra $200 for a premium display option.
I got a 0 on that test.

I used to have a U2414H which was frankly incredible to look at (6-bit with FRC I think).

I noticed it immediately with very small banding in the NVCP and the Skype icon has clear spots. I didn't know what was causing it until much later (I thought it was a bug or something).

In games, it's pretty much impossible to notice due to the compression we have anyways, but still...

That said, I'm sticking to it.

--

TBH, FH3... the sky... I can see the dithering pattern. ;(
Ah, that sucks.

I wish aftermarket laptop displays were as easy to install and as readily available as laptop RAM.

gr8_brandino

Neo Member
Hey all. What are the thoughts on the HP-Omen series of laptops? I have my eye on this one, and I can get a good deal on a refurbished one though ebay: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-best-value-laptop---17t-z8w54av-1

Though the ebay ones I'm seeing have a 6th gen processor vs. the 7th gen one here. But I really don't think that will make much of a difference.

Main question I have is how is the display? I've done some research and have heard mixed things. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas for something similar? I don't want something that looks too gaudy/gamey. Also, I may not be able to buy until September, are there usually any good sales that go on around then?

Izuna

Banned
Hey all. What are the thoughts on the HP-Omen series of laptops? I have my eye on this one, and I can get a good deal on a refurbished one though ebay: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/omen-best-value-laptop---17t-z8w54av-1

Though the ebay ones I'm seeing have a 6th gen processor vs. the 7th gen one here. But I really don't think that will make much of a difference.

Main question I have is how is the display? I've done some research and have heard mixed things. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas for something similar? I don't want something that looks too gaudy/gamey. Also, I may not be able to buy until September, are there usually any good sales that go on around then?

Well, go back 10 pages (or seach my posts in this thread) and I have a crap ton of impressions for the 6700HQ 1070 HP Omen 17

Basically... Performance is great. I got a 1080p 75hz Gsync monitor that looks great (after some calibration) but the I/O is absolute garbage.

K.Jack

No manufacturers are making higher quality laptop screens, in an aftermarket situation. Probably because it'd be really expensive to make them in small quantities, which would then cause the cost that gets passed on to customers to be completely unfeasible.

Does the Dell Inspiron model with the IPS screen have an empty slot for a 2.5" HDD? And if so, is it difficult to install?

Yes it has an empty slot.

Yes it is extremely easy to install.

Quixzlizx

No manufacturers are making higher quality laptop screens, in an aftermarket situation. Probably because it'd be really expensive to make them in small quantities, which would then cause the cost that gets passed on to customers to be completely unfeasible.

Yes it has an empty slot.

Yes it is extremely easy to install.

Thanks for the video! Yeah, that seems way easier to work with than my old Asus laptop.

And I'm guessing the 1050ti blows away the 860M in my current laptop.

K.Jack

Thanks for the video! Yeah, that seems way easier to work with than my old Asus laptop.

And I'm guessing the 1050ti blows away the 860M in my current laptop.

860m = significantly underclocked 750 Ti
1050 Ti = fully clocked 1050 Ti

I'll say that accounts for a performance increase around 70, maybe 75%.

Izuna

Banned
The dithering patterns on light greys is fine, but because bright blues are affected it really makes daytime in games a little poop.

Still, 100hz is freaking incredible. Grammarly is a bottleneck for typing in Chrome however. I feel the delay...

I'm kinda looking for a good gaming laptop. something that can run things like Deus Ex: MD or some of the newer FPS on mid to high detail. something around $1500 or so maybe? any recommendations?

Izuna

Banned
I'm kinda looking for a good gaming laptop. something that can run things like Deus Ex: MD or some of the newer FPS on mid to high detail. something around $1500 or so maybe? any recommendations?

You can go cheaper if that's what you want. If you want to maximize performance for your budget, you can grab one of this 1070 MSIs

Outside of gaming, what do you need the laptop for?

K.Jack

Gonna be really hard to find a 1070 for $1500, outside of some amazing deal (like the crazy Omen 17 price a while back).

Tripon

Gonna be really hard to find a 1070 for $1500, outside of some amazing deal (like the crazy Omen 17 price a while back).

You'll have to go with smaller companies like CyberpowerPC or iBuyPower to get to that price point right now.

CyberpowerPC are basically rebranded MSI's, but they're selling a 1070 laptop for $1295 before Tax and shipping. I was looking at them last holiday but didn't pull the trigger because I found the entry level e570 on a great deal (and a dumber shipping ordeal). But if you're looking to save money, that's at least one option.

Edit: Like one thing this laptop seems to save money on is that the screen is TN.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Early-July-4th-Tracer-II-15-GTX-1070

K.Jack

You'll have to go with smaller companies like CyberpowerPC or iBuyPower to get to that price point right now.

CyberpowerPC are basically rebranded MSI's, but they're selling a 1070 laptop for $1295 before Tax and shipping. I was looking at them last holiday but didn't pull the trigger because I found the entry level e570 on a great deal (and a dumber shipping ordeal). But if you're looking to save money, that's at least one option.

Edit: Like one thing this laptop seems to save money on is that the screen is TN.
https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Early-July-4th-Tracer-II-15-GTX-1070

Any reviews on the TN panel? That would make or break the recommendation for me.

F34R

I'm not keeping any TN laptops... ugh. I am testing out an MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro. The screen is annoying as can be. Was on sale for $1399, back up to $1549 now.

I'm going to hold it for a few more days and see what MAX-Q equipped laptops they get in the next week. They are supposed to be released on the 27th so..

We'll see. I might look elsewhere. Hard to beat the 12month interest free though lol.

Depending on the scope of your spreadsheet work "I will look at some deals" I would personally go for a 4K display with a 1060.

Lemme see what I can find &#128516;

oh, nothing heavy on the spreadsheet work. and 4K isn't even a must for me. but if the price is right then sure thing lol

K.Jack

I'm not keeping any TN laptops... ugh. I am testing out an MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro. The screen is annoying as can be. Was on sale for $1399, back up to $1549 now.

I'm going to hold it for a few more days and see what MAX-Q equipped laptops they get in the next week. They are supposed to be released on the 27th so..

We'll see. I might look elsewhere. Hard to beat the 12month interest free though lol.

MAX-Q is a freaking scam. Why would you pay extra for far less performance?

Early benchmark has the 1080 MAX-Q scoring 15% below the full 1070, in 3DMark 11. Yet laptops with the former will cost $3k minimum.

Izuna

Banned
oh, nothing heavy on the spreadsheet work. and 4K isn't even a must for me. but if the price is right then sure thing lol

The real estate is great for web browsing, doing light work etc.

It's not crucial but if only settle for 1080p if the only thing you're gunna do is game.

Early benchmark has the 1080 MAX-Q scoring 15% below the full 1070, in 3DMark 11. Yet laptops with the former will cost $3k minimum.

wow wtf, that's stupid af

F34R

OH! I didn't realize that. I'll have to look into it for sure.

The real estate is great for web browsing, doing light work etc.

It's not crucial but if only settle for 1080p if the only thing you're gunna do is game.

haha, my work usually only require 30 rolls, 15 columns tops. maybe 8 or 10 sheets at a time so nothing really demanding.

edit: my current one is a 17" Lenovo. got it around 4 years ago.

F34R

The MAX-Q chips are severely TDP, clock, and fan noise limited.

1080 Max-Q

1070 Max-Q

1060 Max-Q

They won't be close to the standard variants, but the "ultrabook" premiums will be far higher than normal.

Yeah, I'm pretty much off of getting one now. I was looking at those before coming back to the thread. I might have to either find a decent IPS 15.6" with the good 1060, or keep this MSI. Decisions...

K.Jack

Yeah, I'm pretty much off of getting one now. I was looking at those before coming back to the thread. I might have to either find a decent IPS 15.6" with the good 1060, or keep this MSI. Decisions...

Your GS63 doesn't have an IPS?

F34R

Yeah I also have the GS63VR from Best Buy and it's most definitely not an IPS display. Great laptop otherwise though.

Overall, especially for the price, I'm almost stuck on it. I'm kinda spoiled on IPS displays though lol. My wife will be using this mostly for school stuff, but otherwise, I'll be banging on games with it hehe. Upgrading her from a Samsung NP700Z5C.

Yep the Best Buy SKU is a crappy TN.

If the budget is $1399, I'd buy one of these.

That one has only the 3GB 1060. :( Also, I'm using my best buy card with the 12 month interest free lol.

K.Jack

Overall, especially for the price, I'm almost stuck on it. I'm kinda spoiled on IPS displays though lol. My wife will be using this mostly for school stuff, but otherwise, I'll be banging on games with it hehe. Upgrading her from a Samsung NP700Z5C.

That one has only the 3GB 1060. :( Also, I'm using my best buy card with the 12 month interest free lol.

Oops I linked the wrong one.

Meant to show you this one, you could configure it with a 500GB SSD, and only be at $1309.

Or there is this if you want a GTX 1070.

Top Bottom