• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nutrition Thread |OT| You Can't Outwork A Shit Diet

Bowser

I know it's not a good idea to get more calories and carbs from soda, it's just this is the first time I'm actually counting to lose weight, the other times I just ate less and ate low carb. I wasn't actually planning on drinking the soda, was just wondering if it was ok because it helped meeting the numbers. Thank you for the suggestion Omegasquash, I'll rework to add sweet potatoes :)

I think some better carb sources are, as mentioned, sweet potatoes, oatmeal, brown rice, and fruit (in moderation).

Schlep

I always thought giving up (for the most part) soda was heresy and still did diet during any attempts to lose weight. I made it a point recently to just drink water instead, and it's honestly better. Now I actually enjoy the taste of the food without resetting my palate with sugar every few seconds.

I'll never give up soda completely, or especially sweet tea, but I suggest giving water only a try for a couple weeks and see how you feel about it.

You can outwork a shit diet . . . but not with a normal life that includes work or school. I've known guys that were ultramarathoners and they could eat pretty much ANYTHING because they just burned it all off. But really, unless you spend almost all your time working out, it really can't be done.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
If I want a soda I just usually drink a diet one. It's more than enough to satisfy, but it depends on the person. One of the criticisms of drinking diet sodas was presented by a paper claiming that diet soda drinkers gained weight. The flaw of course was isolating diet soda consumption without regard to lifestyle and other food choices.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If I want a soda I just usually drink a diet one. It's more than enough to satisfy, but it depends on the person. One of the criticisms of drinking diet sodas was presented by a paper claiming that diet soda drinkers gained weight. The flaw of course was isolating diet soda consumption without regard to lifestyle and other food choices.

Yeah, just like so many other epidemiological studies in which an author can find whatever he likes in order to support his favorite theory.

Not to say epidemiological studies are useless, but declarative conclusions should never be drawn from them.

Bowser

I enjoy diet soda myself. I'm a fiend for Coke Zero. I try to limit it to no more than one a day though, and I drink plenty of water (1 gal/day is my target).

Kept it up, woke up this morning and the first thing I did when I rolled out of bed was put on my running shoes. Stayed out for about an hour, then the sun came out and got too intense so I had to call it quits before I dropped dead of a heat stroke.

Fireblend

Banned
I had almost cut soda last year - I had a friend who did it and swore by it so I decided to drink as little as possible - but this year I decided to just quit it entirely and I haven't drank a single drop of Coca Cola this entire year. I don't know how much it has helped, as I quit it along with making other big changes in my diet, but I certainly don't miss it now.

Faiz

I don't eat breakfast but I also don't lack energy in the morning. I feel fine. I have one coffee at 8:30 then usually eat lunch at noon. My friend says I should still eat... what you say?

I say breakfast is whatever you eat for your first meal of the day regardless of when or what it consists of. Your friend is just regurgitating the mumbo-jumbo too many people have been fed, though so don't hold it against him.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I had almost cut soda last year - I had a friend who did it and swore by it so I decided to drink as little as possible - but this year I decided to just quit it entirely and I haven't drank a single drop of Coca Cola this entire year. I don't know how much it has helped, as I quit it along with making other big changes in my diet, but I certainly don't miss it now.

I think eliminating sugar-filled beverages is pretty much the biggest single thing people can do to improve their diets.

Tabasco

I got rid of soda from my diet years ago and I couldn't care less about it.

It's really just unnecessary bad stuff for your body.

I feel like one of the most important things that I've done nutritionally is just experiment with foods to see how they affected me.

I used to think that I couldn't milk or cheese without feeling bad but I figured out that I can eat really high quality cheese and milk without trouble. I also figured out that if oats are milled separately from wheat is something I can handle.

But no matter what I do (soaking, sprouting, etc) my body doesn't do well with beans which is a shame.

ILoveBish

I quit soda a while back and never miss it. I stick to water, coffee and tea. I use liquid stevia for sweetener and sometimes splenda.

Fireblend

Banned
I think eliminating sugar-filled beverages is pretty much the biggest single thing people can do to improve their diets.

Yeah, I'm sure it had a pretty big impact. If you opened my fridge last year you'd find at least two full 2-liter bottles of coke at all times. Replaced all that with homemade fruit shakes with zero sugar and water. I can't imagine the difference that's made so far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm sure it had a pretty big impact. If you opened my fridge last year you'd find at least two full 2-liter bottles of coke at all times. Replaced all that with homemade fruit shakes with zero sugar and water. I can't imagine the difference that's made so far.

How does that work?

Most likely better than soda, but a fruit shake is still probably full of sugar.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I don't eat breakfast but I also don't lack energy in the morning. I feel fine. I have one coffee at 8:30 then usually eat lunch at noon. My friend says I should still eat... what you say?

yeah, a huge nutrition "myth". number one rule of nutrition (while maintaining a low-ish carb aka low/no-grain/sugar/alcohol/etc diet): listen to your body. Your body will tell you when you are hungry and will likewise tell you when you are satiated.. as long as you aren't taking in a bunch of high GI simple carbs your body is ace on letting you know when to eat.

How does that work?

Most likely better than soda, but a fruit shake is still probably full of sugar.

it's full of natural sugars from the fruit.. aka same as eating fruit. fruit (in moderation) is perfectly fine because along with the sugar you are also usually getting decent servings or dietary fiber, water, antioxidants, and tons of vitamins and minerals. the amount of sugar per serving size of fruit is very low compared to what you are thinking.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I say breakfast is whatever you eat for your first meal of the day regardless of when or what it consists of. Your friend is just regurgitating the mumbo-jumbo too many people have been fed, though so don't hold it against him.
It's not uncommon for me to have like lentils and brown rice at 5am and then for dinner have oatmeal and peanut butter. It all depends on what foods will satisfy you at which meals.

Kept it up, woke up this morning and the first thing I did when I rolled out of bed was put on my running shoes. Stayed out for about an hour, then the sun came out and got too intense so I had to call it quits before I dropped dead of a heat stroke.

days i get lazy but when i start something it feels so good. i need to go run more.

A Fish Aficionado

since we are talking about juice:
Even a freshly made fruit smoothie is still pretty refined when compared to the fruit itself. It takes a fair amount of energy and chopping (not to mention a fancy modern blender) to get a pineapple to the point that you can consume it through a straw. You can think of a fruit smoothie as essentially a piece of blueberry pie in a glass – at least in the pie the blueberries aren’t liquefied (seriously – an original size strawberry raspberry banana smoothie at Jamba Juice has more calories and more sugar than a piece of homemade blueberry pie). Smoothies may be a lot less refined than Twinkies, but they’re not all that far from Nutella or peanut butter.
Juice is not natural (!!!)

Also, I didn't know this:
Q: What would consumers be surprised to discover about orange juice?

A: The leading producers of “not from concentrate” (a.k.a. pasteurized) orange juice keep their juice in million-gallon aseptic storage tanks to ensure a year-round supply. Juice stored this way has to be stripped of oxygen, a process known as de-aeration, so it doesn’t oxidize in the tanks. When the juice is stripped of oxygen, it is also stripped of flavour-providing chemicals … If you were to try the juice coming out of the tanks, it would taste like sugar water.

Juice companies therefore hire flavour and fragrance companies, the same ones that make popular perfumes and colognes, to fabricate flavour packs to add back to their product to make it taste like orange juice.

Q: What are flavour packs?

A: Flavour packs are derived from the orange essence and oils that are lost from orange juice during processing. Flavour houses break down these essence and oils into their constituent chemicals and then reassemble the chemicals into formulations that resemble nothing found in nature. Most of the juice sold in North America contains flavour packs that have especially high concentrations of ethyl butyrate, a chemical found in orange essence that the industry has discovered Americans like and associate with the flavour of a freshly squeezed orange.

Absolutely true. Fruit is full of fructose which cannot even be used by your muscles for fuel.

Fruit is good for a sugar craving, but not much else. And they do have other benefits (I'm thinking fiber and not terrible fats), so that puts them in the healthy snack category for me. More like a treat than anything else.

borghe

You can outwork a shit diet . . . I've known guys that were ultramarathoners

sorry, but marathon running isn't exercising. Unless you are an elite marathon runner (under three hours) It's training your body to perform at a mediocre level for a long period of time. there's no "performance" there to "outwork".

for people who really care about performance and how their body's perform, you absolutely cannot out train a bad diet. The fucked up ratios of macro nutrients and how your body utilizes them (it's not just all about calories for performance athletes) will by default lead to loss of performance (low protein, bad carb to fat ratio, bad omega-6 to omega-3 ratio, etc)

Now this isn't to say you can't be extremely healthy while enjoying a pizza or donut every now and again.. however eating this type of stuff, even in moderation, will absolutely have an effect on your performance. If you're not or don't desire to be a high level athlete, who cares? If you do care about performance, well... you already know this.

jts

...hate me...
Still, the calories of a smoothie are as many as the sum of the calories of its ingredients.

It's the same as eating 1 banana + a handful of strawberries + cream or milk + sugar or whatever, from a caloric standpoint (but nutritionally worse, sure).

Maybe it can get tricky if you buy it made from somewhere, because it's so easy to get you don't realise what's inside, and how many calories it takes to make a sizable smoothie or shake or juice - so you just go overboard. But if you make your own, you have complete control. Don't use sugar, don't use cream. Use only as much fruit as you were going to eat, and don't aim for a specific drink size, just drink whatever the output is or pad it out with water. And keep in mind that eating the ingredients by themselves would make for a more nutritionally rich meal.

Bowser

it's full of natural sugars from the fruit.. aka same as eating fruit. fruit (in moderation) is perfectly fine because along with the sugar you are also usually getting decent servings or dietary fiber, water, antioxidants, and tons of vitamins and minerals. the amount of sugar per serving size of fruit is very low compared to what you are thinking.

Yeah, no. "Natural sugars from the fruit" =/= zero sugars.

borghe

Yeah, no. "Natural sugars from the fruit" =/= zero sugars. Juicing a fruit is basically taking everything that is good about fruit (fiber and satisfying a sweet craving while actually filling up) and stripping that part out.

?? Where did I say no sugar. It's just no added sugar. I also didn't realize they were talking about juicing. Yes, juicing = no. I thought they were just talking about smoothies, i.e. blending. Fruit puree by definition is the exact same thing as the whole fruit.

Ogni-XR21

Not even a week ago I watched 'Hunger for Change' on Netflix, which got me to, once again, start living a more healthy life. I really liked the cut out all processed food approach and not focusing on reducing one specific element (except sugar and white flour). In the end it's about keeping that 'diet' for the rest of your life, not to temporarily loose some weight.

One thing I would like to mention is that supplement vitamins are bad for you. Don't take 'em. Just like any processed and isolated food it's not good to take industrially made vitamins. (Time article, NYTimes article, German documentary).

A Fish Aficionado

The body is very efficient at using vitamins, so supplements are just making expensive piss. I'm not a fan of using fish oil or omega 3 supplements either. It's so easy to get those nutrients without spending money on pills of an unregulated industry.

borghe

In the end it's about keeping that 'diet' for the rest of your life, not to temporarily loose some weight.
as with so much about nutrition, the understood meaning of "diet" became warped and distorted during the 20th century.

di·et
ˈdī-it
noun
1. the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
yet in the 20th century diet essentially became synonymous with "weight loss diet" i.e. a non-sustainable short term eating pattern specifically to lose weight.

yes, maintaining a healthy diet is a long term requirement. Even funnier is that by going to a long term healthy diet, you never even have to go on a "weight loss diet". By just maintaining a healthy diet in most cases your body will equalize itself at a suitable weight. Of course there will in theory need to be calorie restriction to actually lose the fat, but most people's bodies will handle that themselves on a healthy diet as at 300lbs, while eating right, you probably won't be able to maintain the caloric requirements needed to stay at 300lbs (and then at 290lb, and 250lb, etc)

edit - the sad truth is that by cutting out high GI grains, sugars, alcohol, bad fats, etc... we as humans actually in most cases couldn't even maintain the calories needed to be substantially overweight or obese. the fact that most of the processed foods in the center of the store are made up with these very exact ingredients goes a long ways toward showing why this country (US) has an obesity epidemic the way that it does.

I'm not a fan of using fish oil or omega 3 supplements either. It's so easy to get those nutrients without spending money on pills of an unregulated industry.
well you need omega-3 fats somehow. If you have easy relatively inexpensive access to seafood and such that will always be the best way. However there are billions of landlocked individuals who are charged through the nose for fresh seafood.. for us getting the required omega-3 quantities solely from fresh seafood is prohibitively expensive :(

Mupod

When I moved here to Toronto in May I became determined to finally start eating healthy and exercising. It helps that there's a fitness room in my apartment building, although it's basically just a weight machine, a couple treadmills, and an elliptical. Not a fan of treadmills, I think it's my duck feet but running long distances has always been hard/painful for me. The elliptical is fine though.

I barely lasted two minutes on the elliptical my first time but now I can keep a good pace on it for half an hour. Could go longer, but instead I just run harder. I listen to or watch giantbomb on my phone while I do it and the time flies by.

I've been trying to use the weight machine, I would prefer free weights but I'll take what I can get. I'm just not sure I'm using the thing optimally and I have no idea what kind of resources I should be looking at. This is the machine in question.

As for food...I never once gave a shit about what I ate until recently so I figure anything would be an improvement. I cut pop out completely months ago, when I want something fizzy I have some carbonated water (this helped a lot). I do still drink a little but it'll be 1 cider or a glass of wine a few nights a week. Far cry from the rum and coke all the time in college.

The upside to being back on my own is that I once again have control over everything I eat, and I've made a conscious effort to avoid packaged foods and cook as much as possible. The problem is portion sizes because I tend to make too much...and due to a life of poverty I refuse to waste food and will often eat more than I have to. I'm still not exactly rich either, and everything's expensive around here compared to where I'm from, but I'm trying my best. It's just daunting how the diet I would like to maintain is impractical to fit into my schedule and budget.

I should buy a scale, at least...my sister says I look way better but I dunno how much of a difference I see. I definitely *feel* better, and I fall asleep a lot easier...that alone makes working out worth it. I always used to waste hours a night being unable to sleep, which was part of my excuse for drinking a lot.

Bowser

?? Where did I say no sugar. It's just no added sugar. I also didn't realize they were talking about juicing. Yes, juicing = no. I thought they were just talking about smoothies, i.e. blending. Fruit puree by definition is the exact same thing as the whole fruit.

Sorry, meant to quote the other person, not you.

borghe

I should buy a scale, at least

buy a body fat caliper, not a scale.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G7YW74/?tag=neogaf0e-20

a scale gives you a composite weight of everything that makes you you. muscle, fat, water, waste, bone, gases, etc.

for trying to "lose weight" you are actually trying to shed excess bodyfat. Instead of reading a scale, of which body fat is only one of many numbers making up that weight, measure your body fat only with a caliper. I would guess you overall don't care about what you actually weigh as long as your body fat percentage goes down and ends up in a healthy area.

A Fish Aficionado

well you need omega-3 fats somehow. If you have easy relatively inexpensive access to seafood and such that will always be the best way. However there are billions of landlocked individuals who are charged through the nose for fresh seafood.. for us getting the required omega-3 quantities solely from fresh seafood is prohibitively expensive :(
Walnuts, canola oil, flaxseed, soybean oil, olive oil, broccoli, beans, and many other foods already contain omega 3, so it's pretty easy to get enough without fish and supplements.

Bowser

Walnuts, canola oil, flaxseed, soybean oil, olive oil, broccoli, beans, and many other foods already contain omega 3, so it's pretty easy to get enough without fish and supplements.

This is wrong.

Fish Oils/Essential Fatty Acids

If there is a single nutrient that is almost impossible to achieve adequate amounts of with the modern diet (outside of the handful of people who eat a lot of fatty fish), it’s the w-3 fish oils. In a very real sense, fish oils ‘do everything’ and impact on not only overall health but help to control inflammation, promote fat oxidation, inhibit fat storage and a host of others. It’s a list of benefits that seems almost too good to be true but the research is there.

Due to their general unavailability in the food supply, supplementation is almost necessary and both pills (containing varying amounts of the active EPA/DHA) and liquids are available. Both are acceptable and some people simply prefer the liquids (which can be used on salads or in blender drinks) to pills (which often cause burps).

Years ago, flaxseed oil was suggested as a source of the essential fatty acids as it contains the parent fatty acid that can be converted into EPA/DHA. However, that conversion is exceedingly inefficient in most people (vegetarians appear to be an exception to this for some reason) and I do not feel that flax is an acceptable substitute for fish oil supplementation. I suggest that athletes find an omega-3 fatty acid source that they like and consume it daily (again, consuming cold water or fatty fish is also a possibility).

While little research has examined athletes, I recommend a total intake of EPA/DHA of 1.8-3.0 grams per day. A fairly standard capsule of fish oils may contain 120 mg EPA and 180 mg DHA (300 mg total fish oils) so that daily dose would require 6-10 capsules per day which should be split at least morning and evening (taken with meals).
Higher concentration fish oils are available (at a premium cost) but may be preferred by athletes who don’t like swallowing pills. Again, the goal should be a total EPA/DHA intake of 1.8-3.0 grams per day regardless of how it is obtained.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-1.html

nynt9

I used to skip breakfasts altogether, but I get nausea in the mornings nowadays due to reflux, and it doesn't pass unless I eat something relatively solid. Scrambled eggs and thick smoothies are good, but turkey breast isn't good enough, it's not substantial. What would be the best thing to eat? Keeping in mind that I do 15 minutes of HIIT in the morning before breakfast, if it matters.

Awesome thread! I'm actually looking to gain some weight/muscle, and from what I've heard, eating is almost 90% of it. I'm looking for some good beginner recipes to help me eat healthier, though. Would rather not dirty bulk on McDonald's and pizza.

borghe

as pointed out above, you can certainly tip your diet to a healthier ratio of omega-3:eek:mega-6 by incorporating some of the foods you mentioned above (hint: stay the hell away from canola oil and soybeans), but it's near impossible to get the 3-5g per day of omega-3 I work toward without oils from fish. Of course when it was said earlier to actually get that FROM seafood, that is unquestionably the best source. Short of that, I take liquid fish oil with food.

PSA don't take fish oil pills. a) you usually can't actually tell if the fish oil itself is rancid or not, and b) as you actually need to activate digestion to get the benefits of fish oil, you can't ensure when the gel coating will dissolve thus if it will actually be digested with the food you ate or if it will be absorbed after digestion because the gel didn't break down quickly enough. but mostly that rancid part :p

Mupod

buy a body fat caliper, not a scale.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000G7YW74/?tag=neogaf0e-20

a scale gives you a composite weight of everything that makes you you. muscle, fat, water, waste, bone, gases, etc.

for trying to "lose weight" you are actually trying to shed excess bodyfat. Instead of reading a scale, of which body fat is only one of many numbers making up that weight, measure your body fat only with a caliper. I would guess you overall don't care about what you actually weigh as long as your body fat percentage goes down and ends up in a healthy area.

Yeah, this is exactly what I need. I'm far less concerned about weight than body fat.

y2dvd

I cut soda long ago. I sometimes get a crave and will cheat one but when I do, I find it gross now. I'm in the boat of having a skinny frame but still haven't a gut. I call it the Gollum figure. I just need to lose this fat. Will running every day on top of dieting help cut the fat or is it better to do some ab workouts everyday?

A Fish Aficionado

Um, wut:

http://medicine.tufts.edu/Education/Academic-Departments/Clinical-Departments/Public-Health-and-Community-Medicine/Nutrition-and-Infection-Unit/Research/Nutrition-and-Health-Topics/Omega-3-Fatty-Acids

Walnuts contain 2.6 grams per 1oz

Flax seed oil 1 Tbsp. 6.9 grams

And
Most American diets provide at least 10 times more omega-6 than omega-3 fatty acids. There is now general scientific agreement that individuals should consume more omega-3 and fewer omega-6 fatty acids for good health. It is not known, however, whether a desirable ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids exists for the diet or to what extent high intakes of omega-6 fatty acids interfere with any benefits of omega-3 fatty acid consumption. Tufts EPC investigators reviewed the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III; 1988-1994) database to examine intakes of omega-3 fatty acids in the United States. They found that men consumed significantly less ALA than women, adults consumed more than children, and those with a history of CVD consumed less than those without CVD (when energy intake was taken into account in the analysis). On any given day, only 25% of the population reported consuming any EPA or DHA. Average daily intakes were 14 g LA, 1.33 g ALA, 0.04 g EPA, and 0.07 g DHA.
ALA is present in leafy green vegetables, nuts, vegetable oils such as canola and soy, and especially in flaxseed and flaxseed oil. Good sources of EPA and DHA are fish (both finfish and shellfish and their oils and eggs) and organ meats. LA is found in many foods consumed by Americans, including meat, vegetable oils (e.g., safflower, sunflower, corn, soy), and processed foods made with these oils. The Institute of Medicine has established Adequate Intakes for ALA and LA (1.1-1.6 g/day and 11-17 g/day, respectively, for adults) but not for EPA and DHA.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Omega3FattyAcidsandHealth-HealthProfessional/

Bowser

Just because they are found in nuts and oils, doesn't mean that you get as much as you need. As what I quoted above says, (especially for flaxseed oil), ALA breakdown to EPA and DHA (ultimately the real players, of which you should be shooting for 1.5-3g) can be quite inefficient.

i take 11 pills a day. lol.

Vitamin A, Super B Complex, C and D, Cayenne, CLA, Flaxseed. and some other stuff that i can't remember.

A Fish Aficionado

i take 11 pills a day. lol.

Vitamin A, Super B Complex, C and D, Cayenne, CLA, Flaxseed. and some other stuff that i can't remember.

Are you particularly deficient? In which I mean have you taken blood tests to confirm deficiency. That's the only form I would ever use vitamin supplements, if it were confirmed by blood tests. Otherwise, you are just peeing out the excess.

jts

...hate me...
I cut soda long ago. I sometimes get a crave and will cheat one but when I do, I find it gross now. I'm in the boat of having a skinny frame but still haven't a gut. I call it the Gollum figure. I just need to lose this fat. Will running every day on top of dieting help cut the fat or is it better to do some ab workouts everyday?
Ab workouts work the ab muscles, but don't specifically burn the the fat from that area. As in any other workout though, you will burn calories and that can potentially help you with your goal, as long as you don't eat enough to compensate your caloric expenditure, i.e. you keep your self on a caloric deficit.

Your overall fat will be reduced, but it's up to your body to decide where. If you're at a point where you're thin with a gut, it's likely that the gut will be the primary source of fat to be used by your body, so you're in luck.

In any case, it's probably for the best to do other kinds of exercises that you can reap additional benefits from, and that will help you increasing your overall number of calories burned.

Without access to a gym, besides the ab workout you can also run (every day is not necessary, 3-4 times a week is enough and it's less likely that you will burnout and grow tired of it), pushups, and lots of other stuff (search for calisthenics).

Or just straight up follow an exercise plan like P90, DDP Yoga, and the likes.

xnipx

What's a good percentage split for a at risk diabetic(high blood sugar but no diabetes) I need to lose 30 pounds but Idk if 40% carbs would be healthy for someone in my predicament.

I'm 5'7 238 but I want to get down to under 190 eventually.

borghe

Um, wut:
Walnuts contain 2.6 grams per 1oz

Flax seed oil 1 Tbsp. 6.9 grams

first, 1oz of walnuts is a shitload of calories of fat per weight. Great as an option to be sure.. the second part is that as with any nuts and seeds, you have to take care to have them in moderation... phytic acid, saturated fats, other anti-nutrients.. so yes they are great as supplemental food and omega-3 sources.. BUT if I've already hit my macros frankly I am better served with taking a liquid supplement than adding load with additional nuts or seeds.

and to take that one step further for someone looking to lose weight, I'm also more likely to suggest they use an oil as well rather than take on the additional fats from those as well (although again, fresh seafood is still best).

I'm not disagreeing with you.. just saying this conversation isn't exactly black and white. There's a place for nuts and seeds, but I personally don't think that place should be your primary source of omega-3's..

in regards to flaxseed itself

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/Why-not-flaxseed-oil.shtml

fish oil is largely comprised of EPA and DHA whereas flaxseed is comprised largely of ALA which needs to be converted into EPA and DHA (like how milk's lactose needs to be converted into glucose). So the omega-3 numbers for flaxseed are super high, but the effective EPA and DHA numbers are actually really low once finally converted.

Bowser

What's a good percentage split for a at risk diabetic(high blood sugar but no diabetes) I need to lose 30 pounds but Idk if 40% carbs would be healthy for someone in my predicament.

You'd probably fare really well on a ketogenic diet: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

A lot of at-risk diabetics and diabetic people have found success with this type of diet. I'm currently giving it a go - don't have any diabetes symptoms or problems, just like trying out different diets. Been on ultra-low carb for the past 6 weeks now.

A Fish Aficionado

I think we are all on the same page in regards to the benefits of omega 3. Since the supplement industry is unregulated and push for keeping it that way, I do not trust them. I eat fish a lot and use oils in my cooking. There is no strict guidelines for omega 3 consumption just suggestions.

See a dietitian. Seeing a professional is always going to be better than random Internet threads. Helped one of my family members a lot after being diagnosed with diabetes.

Bowser

I think we are all on the same page in regards to the benefits of omega 3. Since the supplement industry is unregulated and push for keeping it that way, I do not trust them. I eat fish a lot and use oils in my cooking. There is no strict guidelines for omega 3 consumption just suggestions.

I agree that generally speaking, a lot of supplements are bogus/not worth it. Fish oil supplements are relatively innocuous IMO. And that was another good point that borghe made in regards to calories as well. I currently use a generic GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil - 6g of fish oil works out to 60 calories. To get 6g of EPA/DHA from whole food sources is a LOT more calories. Hell, if you assume the conversion is one-to-one (which we know it's not), 2oz of walnuts = 370 cal. 1 tbsp of flaxseed oil = 120 cal.

Top Bottom