• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joseph Anderson - Breath of the Wild Analysis

nynt9

That's nice and all but, at this point, who does YT videos and still doesn't know this is how it works? Nintendo-related videos get content ID'd. Should surprise nobody. Neither him nor us.

That doesn't make it ok. The reaction shouldn't be "Nintendo has shitty policies and everyone knows it, deal with it", it should be "Nintendo's policies suck and we should complain to them every time they do a shitty thing". What do you gain by wiping this under the rug?

Edit: for new page, the video in the OP got claimed and demonetized by Nintendo. Considering it contains a significant amount of analysis and effort from Anderson, it's clearly a transformative work and it sucks.

Charamiwa

Banned
Did he think he would get a pass or something? We all know it sucks.

That doesn't make it ok. The reaction shouldn't be "Nintendo has shitty policies and everyone knows it, deal with it", it should be "Nintendo's policies suck and we should complain to them every time they do a shitty thing". What do you gain by wiping this under the rug?

Why now though? This has been a problem for ages now. He decided to do it anyway. I'm glad he did, it's a fine video, and if he wants to use it to try to reach Nintendo then fine, but I don't know how we should feel. Fool me once and all that...

nynt9

Did he think he would get a pass or something? We all know it sucks.

Why now though? This has been a problem for ages now. He decided to do it anyway. I'm glad he did, it's a fine video, and if he wants to use it to try to reach Nintendo then fine, but I don't know how we should feel. Fool me once and all that...

To my knowledge this is the first long form in depth analysis video to which this happened. Previously it was all reviews, which people argued "eh you can review the game without footage" or let's plays, to which people said "let's players don't deserve money because they're just mooching off gameplay footage". This is a lot of work and effort and indisputably transformative so it's different I think.

StarPhlox

How we should feel?!

We should feel angry and not let them get away with continuing to have terrible policies. It seems obvious that the only time they're motivated to make substantive changes is when they get it through their thick skulls from enough people making a big deal out of it. Worked for region locking and I'm hoping it works for their YouTube policy. Joseph Anderson deserves for that great video to be monetized.

TheMoon

Then he or people should complain to them. :)

That's what the dispute options are there for on YT, aren't they?

atr0cious

How we should feel?!

We should feel angry and not let them get away with continuing to have terrible policies. It seems obvious that the only time they're motivated to make substantive changes is when they get it through their thick skulls from enough people making a big deal out of it. Worked for region locking and I'm hoping it works for their YouTube policy. Joseph Anderson deserves for that great video to be monetized.
The only thing that would probably happen in push back is a blanket censor of videos. It's their IP, which is completely different from region locking, which everyone does depending on the game. He could easily have a spare channel for his Nintendo videos, and still do him. I do and I've uploaded videos calling their netcode in splatoon garbage.

Sincerely sad to see this happening to an analisys video. Down right bad policies on Nintendo's part. The author put a TON of effort in this project.

With that said it is amazing how the video can see so right at the micro level but in the end seems so wrong at the macro one. The premise or title in which is based: "Not enough Zelda" goes to show of how much he misses the point when most of the criticism applies to most Zelda games after the jump to 3D was made.

nynt9

The only thing that would probably happen in push back is a blanket censor of videos. It's their IP, which is completely different from region locking, which everyone does depending on the game. He could easily have a spare channel for his Nintendo videos, and still do him. I do and I've uploaded videos calling their netcode in splatoon garbage.

Literally no other gaming company (except maybe atlus) or any other form of media enforces such a restriction. This is bullshit on Nintendo's part and it being their IP doesn't really excuse it.

This is an example of why I don't generally support Nintendo as a company and it frustrates me that I love BotW as much as I do. The company simply displays contempt for its ardent fans.

I bought my WiiU used. Bought BotW used. Don't care about Switch, but if that somehow changes, it'll be bought used.

Only spot they might get me is the BotW DLC.

I didn't think the analysis was that good, honestly, but despite the lack of any real insight (for me, outside the damage and armor stuff) it was worth watching due to how thoughtful and thorough it was. I watched it a few times and applaud the effort.

Fuck Nintendo.

atr0cious

Literally no other gaming company (except maybe atlus) or any other form of media enforces such a restriction. This is bullshit on Nintendo's part and it being their IP doesn't really excuse it.
Many companies besides those two don't.

http://wholetsplay.com

Here's a list of those that do, you notice even some that do allow it, don't allow monetization. You'll also notice missing companies like Sega. Unfortunately we can't use other people's property for free, especially to monetize. It's really up to them to allow it, so I make the best of it and just put their stuff in it's own thing. You're either gonna make videos about them or not, so I don't think putting the videos into a separate folder is asking much.

Top Bottom