• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life 3: 10 years of not playing the most essential sequel in history

xviper

due to the amount of hype HL3 gets even though it has not been announced yet, it will be even a bigger disappointment than Fallout 4

no matter how good it is, no game will match the hype of HL3, even Fallout4( the most hyped game in over a decade) even though it's a good game, but the hype it got made it into a complete trash, so please, don't hype something too much that even if it's good, it will turn to shit due to high expectations

i hope when Fallout 5 gets announced, the fans will never make the mistake of hyping it like they did with Flopout 4

due to the amount of hype HL3 gets even though it has not been announced yet, it will be even a bigger disappointment than Fallout 4

no matter how good it is, no game will match the hype of HL3, even Fallout4( the most hyped game in over a decade) even though it's a good game, but the hype it got made it into a complete trash, so please, don't hype something too much that even if it's good, it will turn to shit due to high expectations

i hope when Fallout 5 gets announced, the fans will never make the mistake of hyping it like they did with Flopout 4

See, I feel there's some false equivalency here. First of all, Fallout 4 only had ridiculous hype BEFORE it was actually shown to the public, at which point, half the fanbase was like 'oh wow lol fallout 3.5 while the rest was all 'NO U DONT UNDERSTAND FALLOUT 4 WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE'

Nobody was having these debates about half life 2. Everybody agreed it was jaw dropping and when it actually came out it fully lived up to it's hype. They absolutely delivered on what was promised. Just like they have with every single game they've ever released.

My point is, there is no reason to doubt valve can produce an amazing single player experience in this day and age, other than 'they haven't done it lately'.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
My point is, there is no reason to doubt valve can produce an amazing single player experience in this day and age, other than 'they haven't done it lately'.

this has always been my read on the situation

itll happen

we might be 60 when it does, but it will. and theres no reason to believe it will be anything other than what you'd expect. and thats the thing. tech is at a point where if hl3 came out tomorrow it probably would not be truly groundbreaking. and thats why it wont be released tomorrow. but tech goes on, and as it goes on there will be a point where hl3 happens.

RBIYF

Neo Member
I'd be lying if I said a Half-Life 3 announcement wouldn't make me happy, but it would be more for the sake of hopeful closure rather than excitement for the game itself. The last time I was excited about a release from them was Portal 2....over 5 years ago.

Honestly, at this point, I would much rather see a new IP from an upstart studio full of fresh and idealistic creative talent that delivers the same kind of thrills that I got from playing Half-Life for the first time back in 1999 and Half-Life 2 for the first time back in 2004, where there announcements and finally playing them instantly made other FPS games at the time an afterthought.

I want some new game to do that, to the point that this new ip would change the landscape so much it would practically nullify this ongoing wanting for a Half-Life 3.

is there even hype for this anymore? Like i understand there's a legacy aspect to it, but it's been so long that people's enthusiasm has eroded. People will be happy if it gets announced, but i feel like the hype would be subdued because of how long its been.

with the talk of quests and some of the other things gleamed from the "leaks" I honestly believe valve is done with the single player experience. I believe they are building half life 3 as an online experience, and I don't claim to know how this is going to work exactly but its going to be something we haven't really seen before and we are going to love it. In the interim I believe we will see Half Life VR stories of some sort.

is there even hype for this anymore? Like i understand there's a legacy aspect to it, but it's been so long that people's enthusiasm has eroded. People will be happy if it gets announced, but i feel like the hype would be subdued because of how long its been.

No the internet would properly explode :p

I'm not actively pining for it anymore but exploring that universe with The Lab-tier visuals in VR is something that would excite me very, very much if announced. Photogrammetry up the wazoo. We'll prob just get another episode though, or an in-universe VR spinoff that doesn't actually tie up any of the plot points from EP2 :/

Toxi

Banned

Wait, Fallout 4 was the most hyped game in over a decade?

RBIYF

Neo Member
People will be happy if it gets announced, but i feel like the hype would be subdued because of how long its been.

Agreed.

One, because many who were actually old enough to have been around to enjoy the peak time of the series have since moved on.

But more so, it's now been so long that there is now a chunk of the gaming demographic who probably aren't into the series in the first place because it was before their time. Sure, stuff like GOG and Steam make it easier then ever to enjoy old games...but there is something to be said about being of age during the actual time a series is a hot commodity....and sure, there are series that have been around for decades and are still top series, but that's because they continue to attract new fans with new installments. Half-Life is a series that's been dormant for what will next year be a decade.

Let's put it this way, people who are now freshmen in college were 9 when the last installment of the series dropped with Episode Two....and some weren't even born when the original game dropped. With the series being as dormant for as long as it has, how much of the 18 and under demographic actually cares about the series?

Derp

It took 12 years for another doom to cone out.
Doom was developed by a company that needs to develop games to survive. They don't have any means of profit. You're comparing a game development company to a digital distribution company. Valve doesn't need to develop games anymore.

Secondly, Doom never needed another game whereas Half Life did, and it's been a decade. It's not going to happen.

I'll hype Fallout 5 to hell and back if it's made by Obsidian.

Sadly, that won't happen

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sometimes I feel like I exist in a niche when I express the reasoning for wanting Half-Life 3, and more specifically the potential excitement I feel if were ever made official. From where I sit it has nothing to do with expectations based on hype. I don't feel hype is proportional to dev cycle. I'm not more hyped as time passes. Nor do I feel it needs to re-invent the wheel or revolutionise the genre. I don't feel this is an essential trademark of the series nor necessary for a modern iteration to be relevant in today's market.

My want for more Half-Life rests entirely on the opinion that Valve's pedigree with single player games, particularly the Half-Life series, is astounding. That's all it comes down to. I can replay the games today and Valve's quality of pacing and encounter design, emphasising variety and diversity, still puts most linear, scripted single player games to shame. In the same way that something like Resident Evil 4 holds up, and I feel for many The Last of Us too, I don't feel Half-Life 2 has aged or that the formula has regressed. Wolfenstein: The New Order is one of my favourite games of recent years, largely because it follows a very similar design template in pacing and structure. Despite introducing almost nothing revolutionary or outstanding on its own, its the quality of the production itself and the design direction that elevates the entire experience.

I don't want Half-Life 2: Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 because I feel Valve are somehow going to turn the industry upside down. I don't need future Half-Life to do so. I just want a single player shooter based in the Half-Life franchise that exemplifies the consistent strengths Valve repeatedly demonstrated throughout the entire series arc. More of the same with modern production standards isn't remotely a bad thing in my eyes, and worthy of just as much hype, anticipation, and excitement as any other franchise.

But I also don't think it's ever going to happen. I think it could if Valve wanted it to, but deep down they don't. The development culture there has shown no evidence in the last six or so years of building games like Half-Life. And while that disappoints me, I also don't want them to force it. Half-Life isn't just a "finish the story" case for me, but a Valve first person shooter scenario, and if Valve can't muster the legitimate passion and enthusiasm to naturally bring the series to its conclusion then I can't imagine a forced entry would capture the magic of its predecessors. Ultimately I've conceded; once upon a time the Half-Life dream was kept alive by a glimmer of delusion and hope within me. These days; not so much. And that sucks, but okay, time to move on.

That being said I fully empathise with fans who are openly frustrated with the absence of a conclusion, and I think labelling these people as entitled is unfair, even if I agree Valve shouldn't be forced to make another one. Unlike, say, Metroid and F-Zero...two franchises I adore but have no real indication of ever seeing again (this is wanting versus expecting), to the credit of Half-Life fans Valve did pitch the concept of the episodic trilogy as a means to advertise the future of the franchise. They may not have sold a season pass or asked for money upfront, but I can totally empathise with someone who bought into Valve's promotion of the series and now feel somewhat cheated and let down by Valve choosing not to pursue the final.

Still wondering where L4D3 is.

It was leaked like 2 or 3 times, first leak being like 2 or 3 years ago. lol. Maybe they still aren't used to Source 2 engine.

gatti-man

I think both are overrated. 2 easily is less rough around the edges and was easier to take in or beat in a few sittings.

Doom 3 and Hl2 are nothing compared to far cry 1 which shits on them till the end.

Those three games are so entirely different from each other they aren't even comparable.

HL2 was a masterpiece for its time. That's all that needs to be said really. And it still stands head and shoulders above every shooter in the story category. As in how to tell a compelling story in a shooter. Seems like people just gave up on that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member

It was leaked like 2 or 3 times, first leak being like 2 or 3 years ago. lol. Maybe they still aren't used to Source 2 engine.
Just fantasy but l4d seems like the most easily adaptable franchise for VR. The stronghold sequences take place in pretty confined spaces.

Ashhong

Slightly off topic, I want to finish Half Life 2 after stopping for unknown reasons years ago. I see there are save game files I can dl. Can I just download the finished game save game and resume from any checkpoint? I remember I was in a raft of some sort zooming around a dam area

Ionic

Slightly off topic, I want to finish Half Life 2 after stopping for unknown reasons years ago. I see there are save game files I can dl. Can I just download the finished game save game and resume from any checkpoint? I remember I was in a raft of some sort zooming around a dam area

I'd say just load a map close to where you were. To do this, when you open your game, press options, then press Keyboard, the press advanced, the check "Enable developer console". Hit okay and apply then press the ~ key to open the console. I think I can tell where you were in the game. Type or paste this directly into the console command prompt and press enter to load the map.

map d1_canals_08

Play from there. If this is an unfamiliar level try map d1_canals_07 or if you remember getting further try map d1_canals_09.

aB3mP5P_700b.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I'm still amazed its a common belief that the hype levels have destined it for mediocrity.

Maybe I am running low on my cynic levels, but i'm pretty sure myself and millions of others just want to finish the story. Sometimes the gaming community makes me feel like i've been transferred to some bizarro world where Half Life holds some standard for graphics or technical capabilities. I'm sure it excelled in certain areas, but who honestly gives a shit about that?

Just tell me if Gordon defeats the Combine or dies trying. Just finish the thing.

Bluth54

Someone who went to the recent Valve dev days posted this about Source 2:
I first asked when Source 2 was gonna be released in which he stated that it was with Dota 2, and Destinations. After I had rephrased my question about an actual SDK, that's when he told me about that they're more focused on UGC, and the engine is no where done to be licensed out fully. He concluded that we would have to wait for one of their unannounced projects to be released to "provide what you want to do".

I wouldn't be surprised if L4D3 is the unannounced project mentioned and based on this it's likely still going to be a little while.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Left 4 Dead 3, despite the long awaited announcement after countless rumours/leaks, is still the most logical Source 2 headliner. Unlike Half-Life and Portal, it still fits the multiplayer/community centric product model that modern Valve is committed to.

kagamin

Left 4 Dead 3, despite the long awaited announcement after countless rumours/leaks, is still the most logical Source 2 headliner. Unlike Half-Life and Portal, it still fits the multiplayer/community centric product model that modern Valve is committed to.

I'm honestly up for a new L4D game more than I am for HL3.
Maybe because I've never played a Half-Life game. :p

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
There truly is no god.

KingJ2002

Half Life 3 is the equivalent of Dr. Dre's "Detox" album

They're making so much money with what was once a side project (Steam x Beats by Dre) that there's no reason to even make the attempt. Then there's the realization that if it ever comes out... it couldn't possibly live up to people's decade long expectations... so it's best to never release it... instead release something similar but entirely different to the masses so they'll finally stop asking for it.. for Dr. Dre it was the Straight Outta Compton movie w/ the Compton album... not sure what Valve's equivalent would be.. maybe VR?

AJ_Wings

How much of the core HL team is even still at Valve? It's not like I mind fresh talent developing it but my interest dropped like a rock once the lead writer left Valve.

With Valve's current business model, I just can't see them wanting to take on a big budget single player focused project ever again. Also, we're getting so many quality shooters lately that I honestly don't care much anymore for HL3.

Metalmarc

We all know Valve dont do 3's (or do they?)

Left for Dead 3
Half Life 3
Portal 3
Team Fortress 3
Dota 3

Maybe one day we will get them all at once in a big orange box (2) and you have to buy 3 copies, that will be the catch compilation 1st so you have to buy all the games at once.

They will all be available to buy separately, 3 years later.

Ashhong

I'd say just load a map close to where you were. To do this, when you open your game, press options, then press Keyboard, the press advanced, the check "Enable developer console". Hit okay and apply then press the ~ key to open the console. I think I can tell where you were in the game. Type or paste this directly into the console command prompt and press enter to load the map.

map d1_canals_08

Play from there. If this is an unfamiliar level try map d1_canals_07 or if you remember getting further try map d1_canals_09.

What the hell you can do this? thanks I'll install it again and give it a shot

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Half Life 3 is the equivalent of Dr. Dre's "Detox" album

They're making so much money with what was once a side project (Steam x Beats by Dre) that there's no reason to even make the attempt. Then there's the realization that if it ever comes out... it couldn't possibly live up to people's decade long expectations... so it's best to never release it... instead release something similar but entirely different to the masses so they'll finally stop asking for it.. for Dr. Dre it was the Straight Outta Compton movie w/ the Compton album... not sure what Valve's equivalent would be.. maybe VR?
There are no "decade long expectations."

What is up with this mindset? What Half Life fan is really expecting them to set the bar for anything? They don't need to revolutionize gaming. They need to finish a story which they got fans emotionally invested in. No one expects the world. I don't even care if the thing is up to modern standards, whatever that means.

Mikeside

I don't even want half life 3 anymore, I'm bored of caring.

I can't let go of Portal though. Portal 3 has replaced hl3 in my dreams

yuraya

I wouldn't be surprised if L4D3 turns out to be a F2P game. Like some grindy coop zombie defense thing with microtransactions etc.

RooMHM

Except Valve is a better developper than Bethesda will ever be. They don t make games to put out a sequel, and that s why there is no HL3.

olore

We can continue to discuss this until the end of (Valve) time, but consider this: as a gamer who abandoned Microsoft ship back in -95, do you think Gabe Newell is happy to leave his Half-Life legacy as this? I don´t .

You know what...at least Shenmue and The Last Guardian fans had hope because they knew there was a chance. With Shenmue we knew it was more funding than anything. With TLG it was long dev but we kept being assured it was being made.

Half Life 3 is dead.

What? No. With the way SEGA was we never thought we'd ever get Shenmue 3 from them. I honestly always expected Half Life 3 before Shenmue 3 (since Shenmue series has never set the charts alight aside from the first entry which did relatively well, Shenmue 2 on the other hand did not and the budgeting of the Shenmue project [Saturn game scrapped, moved to Dreamcast and did loads of licensing/advertising in Japan] and decline of SEGA's console business meant the series never sold like hotcakes, plus the sequel bombed due to fragmented releases over DC and Xbox). Kinda ironic the opposite is happening though. Always figured Half Life had a bigger fanbase, but alas, Valve's priorities lie elsewhere now, the industry has changed since back then so much.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
What I still think is fascinating is that people expect a studio that has niched themselves to e-sport multiplayer games and recruited talent to make e-sport multplayer games would be any good in their process to handle a single player game. Like a studio that has designed themselves to make far different games suddently can be expected to even want to make a game they themselves don't even enjoy compared to the games they do make.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Agreed. Hire a studio to make it. I'd feel good about it in ID's hands, Visceral, Flying Wild Hog, Machine Gun Games, Insomniac or Naughty Dog.

Or sell the darn I.P. to a capable, respected developer.

A HL3 by ND would be a Sony exclusive. I'm sure all the PC gamer fans of HL would be thrilled :p

I've only played HL 1 and 2 very briefly and didn't really like them, as I preferred the run n gun style of Doom, Duke 3D, Blood etc. I would be willing to give them a try if they ported HL 1 and 2 to PS4, as the Orange Box on PS3 wasn't too hot IIRC?

Bluth54

You know what...at least Shenmue and The Last Guardian fans had hope because they knew there was a chance. With Shenmue we knew it was more funding than anything. With TLG it was long dev but we kept being assured it was being made.

Half Life 3 is dead.

Except you know, Valve has shown in the past they have no problems spending nearly a decade working on a game with pretty much complete silence only to eventually release it,

People spend years saying Team Fortress 2 was vaporware.

Parsnip

Agreed. Hire a studio to make it. I'd feel good about it in ID's hands, Visceral, Flying Wild Hog, Machine Gun Games, Insomniac or Naughty Dog.

Or sell the darn I.P. to a capable, respected developer.
This is the worst idea anyone could have.

I would be happy if HL3 was just more HL2 with slightly better graphics.
Yup.
It doesn't need to revolutionize gaming or anything, just finish the story. That's what episode 3 should/would have been.

But now that it's HL3, people have different expectations. And I imagine Valve themselves have different expectations too.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I don't know if I'd call it an essential sequel. It's not like the Half Life story was so captivating that I'm dying for a resolution.

Top Bottom