• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 30th Anniversary to one of the GOAT - Robocop (1987)

I never got the whole "Lose the arm." bit when I watched it as a kid. I think much of the corporate commentary went over my head at the time. Now it comes across so casually cruel and political without actually being ugly which is such a fine line to walk. I love how Robocop was a tool built to take down criminals and drug dealers but the guys who made him are criminals and drug users.

Nice shooting son, what's your name ?

MURPHY

Best ending!!!!

Great film, loved it for the violence when I was little (saw it as a 5 year old). Growing old I appreciated the story AND social commentary.

I've collected it on dvd and bluray so many times (even when the extras were the same but different cover artwork lol yep more money than brains).

When the first trailers went out for Robocop, they hadn't finished the score, so Orion used the Terminator theme - seems weird to hear such an iconic theme used in a trailer for a completely different movie:

Robocop Trailer

Everyone share your story of how you first saw this at way too young an age.

My dad taped it off tv, I didn't see the full unedited version until I got it on dvd.... It's so much more gorey

All the Delta city, Reagan stuff and the commercials were funny when I was little but now that I understand them they are incredible

jett

D-Member
When you watch this movie when you're eight it leaves a mark let me tell you that. The images of Murphy's execution and Acid Bath Man are imprinted into my brain.

stuminus3

I've watched the original so many times over the years and loved it every time. It sticks to your bones. Nobody makes sci fi like this anymore.

You know the movie is so bad ass, that even the censored version has memorable quotes.
"Come quietly or there will be trouble"
"Aw, for you!"

"You burned the freakin money!"

JB1981

I think it's safe to say that RoboCop is #1 on most peoples "I'm shocked my parents let me watch this" list.

The second movie too! Holy shit I was there opening night with my dad. I was like 10!

Actually no I was 9! Wtf was wrong with my parents?

tumblr_mq626ggznv1qedb29o1_500.gif

It's honestly kind of sad that the 80s RoboCop suit looked better than the remake's suit

I don't remember the President being mentioned in either RoboCop or RoboCop 2

On the remake the first suit he dons is really good and a homage to the original. They did fuck it up with the black one. Should have kept the silver one (granted is the one he has at the end of the movie, so maybe a sequel?).

One of my top 10 favorites as a child.

And that's largely when I mostly viewed it as a action movie of the day.

I appreciate it all the more now as a dark comedy, and commentary on American society.

80's parents bro, the best.
Yep. I myself was watching the likes of Robocop, and Terminator at 7 in 1992.

Thought NOTHING of it at the time, but AMAZING in retrospect. Thank goodness I did not have overly stick parents. Would have missed out on a LOT if I did.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this the first time on HBO back in like 88 or 89 with my dad... The Murphy death scene didn't phase me, it was the dude getting shot in the office building by ED-209 which scarred me for life. My 7 year old brain kept thinking... wait a second, he's doing everything correct, why is he getting destroyed by this machine???? After the dude gets put through the window, I just look up at my dad (he was laying on the couch and I was sitting on the floor against the couch) and all he says is, "I think that guy is dead". Hahahaha thinking back on it, it's hilarious how dead pan he said it, but man I was like, "Whaaaaa the fuuuuuuuuck!?!?"

Saw this the first time on HBO back in like 88 or 89 with my dad... The Murphy death scene didn't phase me, it was the dude getting shot in the office building by ED-209 which scarred me for life. My 7 year old brain kept thinking... wait a second, he's doing everything correct, why is he getting destroyed by this machine???? After the dude gets put through the window, I just look up at my dad (he was laying on the couch and I was sitting on the floor against the couch) and all he says is, "I think that guy is dead". Hahahaha thinking back on it, it's hilarious how dead pan he said it, but man I was like, "Whaaaaa the fuuuuuuuuck!?!?"

Lol amazing scene. "Someone call a medic!" Ya, like it's gonna do something for the guy after being ripped apart by the ED209.

Loved this movie when I was a kid. I recall it almost earned an X rating for the violence and gore before hitting theatre screens.

After a recent rewatching it was apparent they shot their creativity wad on just the one movie , probably could have two or theee if they saved some plot ideas.

Loved this movie when I was a kid. I recall it almost earned an X rating for the violence and gore before hitting theatre screens.

After a recent rewatching it was apparent they shot their creativity wad on just the one movie , probably could have two or three if they saved some plot ideas.

Probably getting my Robocop trivia wrong here, but I think they had an X rated version at one stage that was even more violent than the "directors cut" ?

Also I thought they wrote a treatment for a sequel (before Frank Miller's ideas) part of which formed the basis of the opening episode of the tv series.

One of my favorite movies of all time, combining smart political satire that was way ahead of its time, with a cool B-movie esque concept, and of course, absolutely insane violence. I credit this and Predator for turning me into a man when I watched them at 14 years old.

Probably getting my Robocop trivia wrong here, but I think they had an X rated version at one stage that was even more violent than the "directors cut" ?

Also I thought they wrote a treatment for a sequel (before Frank Miller's ideas) part of which formed the basis of the opening episode of the tv series.

I think your mixing up trivia about Total Recall with Robocop. All the excised footage to get the R rating was reimplemented in the Unrated Cut first released for the Criterion LD. Where as the Total Recall excised footage has never seen the light of day outside of a few stills Rob Bottin has shown.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its not mentioned enough but Robocop has another great Basil Poledouris score. Its no Conan the Barbarian but the Robocop score really adds to the movie all around, especially the main theme.

Leynos

A legitimate classic. I love the story that so many directors turned the film down due to the shit name (RoboCop? Sounds like a bad B-movie.) Even Verhoeven threw the script into the trash when it was sent his way as he thought that it was beneath him. Supposedly his wife fished it out, read it, and saw that the film was more than just a bad name.

And ED-209 is still my favorite robot design.

deadlast

My dad died the same weekend this movie came out.

I didn't see it till almost a year after it was released. It's one of the great 80's films.

One of my favorite movies of all time. It's crazy because my first exposure to Robocop was the cartoon which led me to find the original movie at my local library. To my surprise, it was rated R oh man when I got to the Murphy death scene I was so shocked at the level of violence. This movie has one of my favorite endings of all time as well perfectly caps off the arc of Robocop.

TTOOLL

I'm rewatching it now, again, and holy fuck!! The first death by ED-209 and Murphy's death are fucking brutal!!!
What a movie!!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im glad this thread exists because i was just watching it, and im curious.

what was the purpose of the heart transplant scene at the beginning of the movie? it seems out of place for the rest of the senseless commercials and news reports

Top Bottom