• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40k fans: who is the greatest primarch?

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
primarch-cartoon.jpg

who is also the worst primarch?

Atrus

Gold Member
Best is probably Roboute Guilliman. Sure, the Ultrasmurfs get special support from Games Workshop but lorewise I can't see many Primarchs as being solely capable of leading the Imperium in the Emperors absence.

Worst might be Konrad Curze. A horribly broken soul who damned his own legion.

No one, really.

Everyone of them is a facet of the Emperor himself. Roboute is the tactical e administration skills. Also, Roboute is the only living/walking Primarch so far, so he is the best because he is the only one there.

The worst obviously is Horus (all the damage he did, affecting TRILLIONS of souls) and Konrad Curze (Batman merged with Joker with superpowers)

Enosh

Sanguinius

Also, Roboute is the only living/walking Primarch so far, so he is the best because he is the only one there.
most of the traitors are alive just not active, although Magnus and Mortarion both invaded the galaxy recently and the others are returning too, plus some of the loyalist ones are also still alive but lost like Russ or Khan.

PantsuJo

My boy Vulkan, thinking with the heart. And Sanguinius.

Papasmurf, thinking with logic and reason.

The worst (but also one of the most interesting, for me) is Kurze.

Atrus

Gold Member
what exactly was the main issue with Kurze?

Primarch who suffered from clinical depression and probably the worst start out of all the Primarchs. In stark contrast to the Primarchs who landed in pretty stable worlds or societies, Kurze started out landing in lava on Nostramo, a world shrouded in night, violence, and mental illness and then raised himself to lordship and then Demi-godhood under the Emperor before destroying himself, his homeworld, his legion and the Imperium.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Primarch who suffered from clinical depression and probably the worst start out of all the Primarchs. In stark contrast to the Primarchs who landed in pretty stable worlds or societies, Kurze started out landing in lava on Nostramo, a world shrouded in night, violence, and mental illness and then raised himself to lordship and then Demi-godhood under the Emperor before destroying himself, his homeworld, his legion and the Imperium.

and the Emperor never tried to help him

it seems like the only primarch that the Emperor cared about was Horus

Atrus

Gold Member
and the Emperor never tried to help him

it seems like the only primarch that the Emperor cared about was Horus

The Emperor is a strangely written character with respect to the Primarchs. The literal Apotheosis of mankind is a pretty bad father to the point of jeapordizing all of Humanity. I'm pretty certain most rational people who know about Chaos would look at Angron and Mortarion and then go "Wait a minute..."

This is partly due to the lore being secondary to the game setting and partly due to the quality of the writing.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
The Emperor is a strangely written character with respect to the Primarchs. The literal Apotheosis of mankind is a pretty bad father to the point of jeapordizing all of Humanity. I'm pretty certain most rational people who know about Chaos would look at Angron and Mortarion and then go "Wait a minute..."

This is partly due to the lore being secondary to the game setting and partly due to the quality of the writing.

well what makes 40k lore so unique compared to other fictional universes is that its ran on the assumption that not every material you read might be "truly canon/real"but simply a certain interpretation of events

so it makes some sense that a figure like the emperor is seen as contradictory and viewed differently by many parties

of course many might think this is "cheating"to the lore by having a "nothing is true" approach,but that seems how GW has always done it

Karakand

Best is probably Roboute Guilliman . . . I can't see many Primarchs as being solely capable of leading the Imperium in the Emperors absence.

He probably didn't; leadership of the Imperium had been mostly devolved to civilians during the Great Crusade with the formation of the Council of Terra. There are few published works detailing the Age of Rebirth, and the ones that have been released paint a poor picture of the Imperium under Guilliman's Reforms. (cf. The Beast Arises)

Between that and the overall debacle of Imperium Secundus it's a credible hypothesis that Guilliman's reputation is as much the product of obfuscation as it is any superiority on his part.

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
He probably didn't; leadership of the Imperium had been mostly devolved to civilians during the Great Crusade with the formation of the Council of Terra. There are few published works detailing the Age of Rebirth, and the ones that have been released paint a poor picture of the Imperium under Guilliman's Reforms. (cf. The Beast Arises)

Between that and the overall debacle of Imperium Secundus it's a credible hypothesis that Guilliman's reputation is as much the product of obfuscation as it is any superiority on his part.

Roboute is a genius though

in the new book they talk about how Calgar and his fellow Ultramarines put up a superhuman act of strategic skill, but that Roboute was still operating on a whole other plane of thinking

on the 40k wiki it says Lion remained a loyalist to the Emperor though

I was making a sarcastic reference to the DA codexes through the years. Especially the last major one. The mystery that surrounds the DA creates a lot of speculation of betrayal but the timing of the betrayal leads to questions of heresy and betrayal against the Emperor or just betrayal within the ranks and the DA are cleaning up their own mess. I honestly believe it is the later.

manfestival

the absolute void of dorn followers here shows me how far GAF has fallen. this place has truly become a place of heresy. long live the greater good, tau'va

tenchir

Russ is the best fighter right?

Being a good fighter isn't the only requirement to be the greatest Primarch. Horus was made the Warmaster, but he isn't the best fighter, the best strategist, the best tactician, etc... He was made the Warmaster because his strength is that he can work with all the other Primachs.

All the Primarchs represent an aspect of the Emperor, but I think that out of all of them, Guilliman is his shadow, the only guy that can run the Imperium.

Atrus

Gold Member
Russ is the best fighter right?

That's a good question. All of the Primarchs are skilled in direct combat but I think Russ, being the Executioner, was probably the best at personal combat. I don't know alot about the Khan but it seems to me that he should be in the running as well.

The real issue is that some of the contenders for the title haven't been around to job to Astartes like Angron has so we don't have a good basis to judge. Granted it was no simple task but I rule out Primarchs who either died or lost to lesser beings as being in the running for best fighter. Magnus and his warp magics would otherwise be up there as well.

Top Bottom