• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Earn an Entire Season worth of Characters in Street Fighter V

sephi22

And how many hours are steps 1-9 likely to take? 10. 20. 100?

It's all well and good as a premise that they're technically earnable, but if it's an unreasonable amount of time for a lot of people, it's not really a good argument for me.
One day if you skip the story cutscenes.

With Abigail, there are currently ten DLC characters. Using your method you can only buy little more than half of the DLC characters. Even if you do all the weekly's, at 6500 thats 52 x 6500 = 338000 FM. A whopping 3 DLC characters for a years work. This is free to play MMO level of shitty grind.

If you did all the above from launch you should have enough FM to get all ten characters. However, in a year and a half you will have an additional ten DLC characters, and in another year and a half ten more. Since there is no more general story mode, limited trials, demo, etc... You will lag behind and not be able to get all the DLC characters free. Also, It leaves no FM to get titles, costumes, stages etc... I'm not complaining, its just an observation. Obviously, Capcom has to make money too.
You can do the 'MMO levels of grind' or you can pay for the DLC like every other fighting game out there.
I paid for both DLC packs while my friend got all characters using fight money. It's a pretty good system all things considered.

LakeEarth

I've gotten every season 1 character for free, and have enough to get the next season. If you don't care about costumes or stages, getting all the season 1-2 DLC characters is more than possible.

I've:
- beaten story mode on both normal and hard
- beat character stories for nearly everyone
- beat easy survival for nearly everyone
- beat normal survival for two thirds of the cast
- beat hard survival for 2 characters
- did all the season 1 trials, and a third of season 2 combo trials
- somewhat religiously get the 5000FM weekly mission (missed a few)
- play online a lot

It's not like it's all easy to get, but with the exception of Hard survival mode, I had fun getting them for the most part.

Fix survival in 2 easy steps.
1.) Buy a continue for 100k. Second continue will be 200k and so on.

2.)Add the DLC fighters to the rotation.
Having the v-meter carry over between matches would also be nice. As of right now, if you're using a character with a 3-meter stock, then v-meter is only good for v-reversals only.

Forward

This is disingenuous af, just like all ypur SFV post all shit post.

From your post history, I can see that you're interested in getting Destiny 2 via the Nvidia deal. Can we expect this amount of complaining when Raids and Strikes are closed off for you because you haven't put in the work?

Bro what's wrong with you?

Like why are you even here? Why not do something you love instead of obsessing over something you'll always hate?

I didn't make the threads. I am commenting on the topics presented within them. Just because you hold a different opinion than I do, that you yourself find to be sacrosanct, does not preclude other people such as myself from being able to express different viewpoints, no matter how rabidly you might decry us as blasphemers. My takeaway from the game, and attitude towards Capcom's business practices is vastly different than yours. Deal with it.

tzare

Tekken7 and KoF has far more characters at the beginning though.

Heck. Doesnt KoF14 have 45 fighers?

50 if not mistaken, 4 extra or 20bucks but i got it for 12 i think a few days ago. So pricing at least seems better. And team fighting also adds variety to some of the modes, online matches for example.

OP, I commend you for making this thread. It's solid work even if I feel the tone is slightly disingenuous.

However, here's the problem that you haven't really grasped:

1.) Not giving me all of the regular characters in a fighting game from the start is frustrating and I don't respect that business practice.

2.) Forcing me to grind overly repetitive tasks at predetermined time intervals to unlock them is even more frustrating and disrespects me as a customer.

3.) Giving me only one other option to unlock them and making it paying an unreasonable amount of cash when I've already paid full price for the game is laughable.

I've played a decent amount of SFV. It's an alright game. Not as good as 4, and definitely not even close to Third Strike.

Expecting me to deal with a huge amount of frustration or pay a huge amount of cash for a mediocre gaming experience is insane, and this is why Capcom lost me as a customer.

OP, your heart is in the right place but you fail to grasp the plight as a whole. You're basically just telling everyone "This is shitty but it's not as shitty as you think!"

There are so many video games out there to enjoy that I simply cannot sanction this kind of buffoonery on any level anymore.

Another tip for earning fight money: Play different characters online. Getting to a new level earns you 1000 fm, but the levels become longer the higher you get. It also gives you more insight in the characters, which helps fighting them online, meaning higher win percentage = more fm. I've got about 1.5 or 1.6 million fm earned since launch, just playing the game normally, without completing any hard or extreme survival.

Lulubop

I didn't make the threads. I am commenting on the topics presented within them. Just because you hold a different opinion than I do, that you yourself find to be sacrosanct, does not preclude other people such as myself from being able to express different viewpoints, no matter how rabidly you might decry us as blasphemers. My takeaway from the game, and attitude towards Capcom's business practices is vastly different than yours. Deal with it.

You act like the DLC characters are on the disc. So it's disingenuous, especially when the games you champion charge for their characters. Now your deflecting, just saying shit but not addressing why people are calling you out. All your post have been shit post.

I bought the season pass but use my fight money to buy stages which is the 2nd most expensive thing to buy. But I use the strategy the op uses except I do the character trials since I don't find them that hard.

Teh Lurv

Good thread. One addition I'd add to the initial post is IIRC the character demonstrations also net you 1,000xp for each character. That should be enough to push them to the next level for an additional 1,000fm.

Murdamonk

Tekken7 and KoF has far more characters at the beginning though.

Heck. Doesnt KoF14 have 45 fighers?

Yeah, but KoF14 is a 3v3 battle. You wouldn't expect the game to have 16 characters and do 3vs3, do you?

Didn't those games got delayed a bit because they saw the backlash that Capcom received with SFV?

I believe SFV Deluxe Edition was on sale on too long ago and it includes all the characters so far.

Fix survival in 2 easy steps.
1.) Buy a continue for 100k. Second continue will be 200k and so on.

2.)Add the DLC fighters to the rotation.

I think that will be a great idea.

Forward

You act like the DLC characters are on the disc. So it's disingenuous, especially when the games you champion charge for their characters. Now your deflecting, just saying shit but not addressing why people are calling you out. All your post have been shit post.

You are "calling me out" for having a negative opinion of SFV and Capcom. It is you who are being disingenuous. And it is you who are shitposting.

Raw64life

Here you go
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...tion/cid=UP0102-CUSA01200_00-SF5DELUXE2000000
It's been on sale before half off so you can wait a bit if you're in no hurry.

Call me when this is a physical release on PS4 for $40 or less.

Though I strongly prefer physical, this would be tempting at $40. I probably didn't notice that deal because I don't do digital and therefore don't bother looking at digital deals. Still, if they are offering this digitally I don't understand why they can't just put this on a disc once Season 2 is over. Sure as shit not paying $80 for it in any format.

OP, I commend you for making this thread. It's solid work even if I feel the tone is slightly disingenuous.

1.) Not giving me all of the regular characters in a fighting game from the start is frustrating and I don't respect that business practice.

2.) Forcing me to grind overly repetitive tasks at predetermined time intervals to unlock them is even more frustrating and disrespects me as a customer.

3.) Giving me only one other option to unlock them and making it paying an unreasonable amount of cash when I've already paid full price for the game is laughable.

I've played a decent amount of SFV. It's an alright game. Not as good as 4, and definitely not even close to Third Strike.

Expecting me to deal with a huge amount of frustration or pay a huge amount of cash for a mediocre gaming experience is insane, and this is why Capcom lost me as a customer.

OP, your heart is in the right place but you fail to grasp the plight as a whole. You're basically just telling everyone "This is shitty but it's not as shitty as you think!"

There are so many video games out there to enjoy that I simply cannot sanction this kind of buffoonery on any level anymore.

Best post.

Lulubop

You are "calling me out" for having a negative opinion of SFV and Capcom. It is you who are being disingenuous. And it is you who are shitposting.
We're talking about DLC, and you're not addressing any points brought up to you. Stop deflecting homie. It's getting tiring seeing you in every thread making disingenuous post.

Difference between a negative opinion and being wrong.

sephi22

Is Street Fighter V the only fighting game you play? Besides Dota 2 and Overwatch, I can't think of many competitive games that give out fighters for free.
$5 is standard price for characters. MKX characters cost the same as well as SFV characters. Blazblue and Marvel 3 characters cost even more IIRC.

Many posters in this thread complaining about how unlocking the characters is a grind or whatever, but you have to spend time at/or money either way. Want to save time? Pay for the characters. Want to save money? Spend the time.

Folks want to have their cake and eat it too. SFV isn't my favorite game and it has a lot of things I wish were different, but this business model is quite fair.

Alucrid

Banned

1) they don't lock you out of any of the regular characters?
2) what? the weeklies? not terribly grindy and a week seems fair enough.
3) what fighting game has more than 2 ways to get dlc characters?

There's like 60k FM easily earnable with each DLC character that goes to paying for the next one. They give you like 6k FM every week with goals that are achievable in minutes.

If you've spent a cent on character DLC, you're doing it wrong. Unless you're buying the season pass and saving up FM for the costumes and stuff.

I find it difficult to believe the level of boring arcade mode that exists in past Street Fighter games is the difference between playing the game and dropping it.

At this point, you're either playing online, have invested friends for offline/attend an offline scene or you're not going to keep playing.

No, don't you understand the millions of players who play 3 hours of arcade mode a day for two years and get 200 hours of fun out of arcade mode? Arcade mode is the greatest invention of gaming. Arcade mode is better than anything that has come before or since.

Lulubop

Is Street Fighter V the only fighting game you play? Besides Dota 2 and Overwatch, I can't think of many competitive games that give out fighters for free.
$5 is standard price for characters. MKX characters cost the same as well as SFV characters. Blazblue and Marvel 3 characters cost even more IIRC.

Many posters in this thread complaining about how unlocking the characters is a grind or whatever, but you have to spend time at/or money either way. Want to save time? Pay for the characters. Want to save money? Spend the time.

Folks want to have their cake and eat it too. SFV isn't my favorite game and it has a lot of things I wish were different, but this business model is quite fair.

Exactly

Do you play other fighting games?

Weird that people even consider putting SF as "horrible" when Gundam will charge you a shitload for suits in total.

Timeaisis

Why? You got specifically what you paid for. From day one at knew dlc was coming and that you can either pay for it or earn it with fight money.

And yet, FM takes an inordinate amount of time and $5.99 is very a steep price to pay for each character. I was thinking maybe there would be a pack of characters for $10-15, but no.

Y'all can defend it as much as you want, but I (and others) continue to think this was handled very poorly.

It's not in your best interest to be sticking up for companies. They are not your friend, especially in this case where other fighting games give you all of the stuff you need with none of this Fight Money rubbish. You might find this business model fair but at what benefit is to you when SFIV never had this?

Hojaho

Those are additional characters you can get for "free" or pay. Not regular characters included in the base package.
IIRC in that old Skullgirls topic, making a character in that game was estimated around 250k$ (I think it was in a MikeZ post). Also in that topic, I think SFIV characters cost were estimated around 1m $. So I assume making a SFV character is not cheap.
How is that a non respectable business practice to allow you to get them with ingame currency instead of real dollars ?

Raw64life

Fighting games I've purchased this gen:

Injustice: Ultimate Edition
Mortal Kombat XL
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4: Road to Boruto
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Noticing a trend? I did not have to do anything you're describing in your post for any of these games and I didn't have to spend anymore than $40 to get it.

What makes SFV's situation extra shitty is their repeated insistence that no complete edition of the game is ever coming. I'm hoping they'll eventually change their mind, but only time will tell, and I'm more than willing to wait.

Lulubop

It's not in your best interest to be sticking up for companies. They are not your friend, especially in this case where other fighting games give you all of the stuff you need with none of this Fight Money rubbish. You might find this business model fair but at what benefit is to you when SFIV never had this?

Other fighting games just give you the characters? You didn't have to buy new editions of sf4?

Roshin

For the record, I haven't even earned the online trophy for winning 100 matches and yet I have managed to purchase 4 DLC characters and one stage and still sitting on 400K FM

I've gotten every season 1 character for free, and have enough to get the next season. If you don't care about costumes or stages, getting all the season 1-2 DLC characters is more than possible.

I assume this is something to be proud of, but it sounds so miserable. Jesus fucking Christ.

Lulubop

Mortal Kombat XL

Noticing a trend? I did not have to do anything you're describing in your post for any of these games and I didn't have to spend anymore than $40 to get it.

What makes SFV's situation extra shitty is their repeated insistence that no complete edition of the game is ever coming. I'm hoping they'll eventually change their mind, but only time will tell, and I'm more than willing to wait.

I got all the character for free in those games if I owned the base edition? Seriously asking. Also I know for umvc3 you still had to buy Jill and Shuma.

Having to grind for characters that should have been added for free(considering the anemic starting roster, at least season one should have been completely free without spending fight money) solves nothing.
The idea that Capcom is doing us a favor just by letting us grind for what should be ours is just sad.
All the shit that they're adding to the game? It shouldn't be seen as Capcom being gracious and generous. They're completing their unfinished game. People are owed it. It's not "free" or "extra" content.

Also, survival on normal during the last few matches turns to total shit. I can imagine the frustration people are going to go through trying to complete all those, especially when you're forced to use characters you might not be good with.

Mortal Kombat XL

I don't think comparing the definitive versions of games that have all their content complete is a fair comparison to a game that hasn't had theirs yet.

sephi22

Bahahaha
It's rich someone's calling me out for sticking up for Capcom of all companies. Check my post history. I shit on this company for every dumb decision they make.

But the Fight Money system is not rubbish. You know what SF4 had? Paid updates that came with characters. I paid for all of them. I pay for MKX DLC, I pay for GG DLC, I'm going to pay for Tekken 7 DLC when I buy it. I paid for KOF14 DLC. This is the world we live in, and my agreeing to pay for DLC isn't bending down in front of the companies. Games take time and money and all these games are full featured products that give generous content so I don't feel bad supporting the devs with my money.

SFV was an ass product for $60. But for $40 or whatever it goes for now, It's a reasonable purchase. And the FM system is a good way to unlock content you want without paying this company any money. Do you want me to shit on MKX or Tekken 7 or Injustice 2 for having paid DLC? I'm not going to. I absolutely would shit on SFV for giving barebones content and charging for DLC for a full fledged roster but I don't do that because there's a free alternative.

The only thing SF4 did right over this game was having cheap as fuck costume packs with tons of colors. It pisses me off that SFV won't probably get another Dhalsim costume ever but like 12 more Chun costumes cos she's popular. And each of those will cost $4.

Mortal Kombat XL

For the price of Injustice: Ultimate Edition, you could've owned every character in this game with money spent + FM and then some. MKXL, Road to Boruto and UMvC3 are versions released a year or 5 years later in case of UMvC3. You know how much I paid for SFV + Season 1 + Season 2 on PC? $34 on Steam Christmas sale last year.

You're acting like a savvy customer when you bought definitive versions of those games on sale years later, yet you're shitting on SFV coz you bought it on launch and got suckered. Your fault, my mans. Should've done what you did for all those other games lol

Pompadour

Mortal Kombat XL

But you're just buying the GotY editions that come way after launch (and Boruto). I'm not sure how this applies to the topic but those games' first releases didn't include all the DLC.

Regardless, Capcom will release a complete edition eventually. The PS4 port of USF4 had every costume so something similar will happen to SFV. But like that version of USF4, you'll be waiting, you'll be waiting 5+ years for it.

The only thing SF4 did right over this game was having cheap as fuck costume packs with tons of colors. It pisses me off that SFV won't probably get another Dhalsim costume ever but like 12 more Chun costumes cos she's popular. And each of those will cost $4.
I'm not even upset about the pricing because I fully understand why they do that (see my above post). My issue with the costumes is the same as your latter gripe that the character balance is heavily weighted toward fan-favorites. Unfortunately, that seems to be the trend with all fighters these days.

sephi22

But you're just buying the GotY editions that come way after launch (and Boruto). I'm not sure how this applies to the topic but those games' first releases didn't include all the DLC.

Regardless, Capcom will release a complete edition eventually. The PS4 port of USF4 had every costume so something similar will happen to SFV. But like that version of USF4, you'll be waiting, you'll be waiting 5+ years for it.
Seriously that post is amazing. I've shared it with a couple friends already. "Paying for characters is consumer unfriendly and fuck companies that do so" meanwhile every game he's listed has charged early adopters for DLC and the only reason he hasn't paid is coz he buys cheap versions years later. Can't make this shit up.

The one line you didn't bold is the whole point. They're saying it's not happening. SFV came out 18 months ago. Every game I listed had a complete edition of the game released well before 18 months after the initial release. With SFV, there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.

At any point you decide on buying SFV, you can get all the content available for less than $60, if you peep the PSN or Steam sales. I promise. SFV + S1 + S2 has sold for less than $60 on both places. Wait a year and you'll find S3 bundled with everything else for <$60. You're asking for a founders pack equivalent which will give you all the future content for free, and you won't get one because they don't know when they'll stop making DLC.
If you buy a S1+S2+base game pack right now, you can earn enough FM with simple tasks to pay for the next season. That becomes even more true with future versions.

Raw64life

I got all the character for free in those games if I owned the base edition? Seriously asking. Also I know for umvc3 you still had to buy Jill and Shuma.

Injustice - Yes
Naruto 4 - No
MKX - No
UMVC3 - No way to get the extra characters at all in the original version

And I bought the Gamestop exclusive physical PS4 version of UMVC3 that does come with Jill and Shuma.

I don't think comparing the definitive versions of games that have all their content complete is a fair comparison to a game that hasn't had theirs yet.

The one line you didn't bold is the whole point. They're saying it's not happening. SFV came out 18 months ago. Every game I listed had a complete edition of the game released well before 18 months after the initial release. With SFV, there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel.

I sure hope so. I don't mind waiting.

Neoxon

Capcom specifically said that you won't need another disc to remain up to date or ever have to pay for gameplay-related content (balance patches, characters, etc.). A Complete Edition could happen later down the road, though have fun waiting until 2021.

Well there can only be a complete edition once they stop supporting it and they've said they want to do that until at least 2020. So given that would mean at least another 3 seasons is there any point to even talking about a complete version or even hinting at it? It's so far off the development map that it might as well not exist yet.

Capcom specifically said that you won't need another disc to remain up to date or ever have to pay for gameplay-related content (balance patches, characters, etc.). A Complete Edition could happen later down the road, though have fun waiting until 2021.

At least with SFV they're doing a good enough job to let new players hop in whenever.

I remember Steam having SFV with both season passes on sale for like $50. Yeah you're not going to get "EVERYTHING" but that price for all of the playable characters is great, and you can then save your fight money for cosmetic stuff.

Nephtes

I just did the story mode for the 80,000 fight money.
WTF DID I JUST WATCH?

Is it me or does Capcom just not care about their characters as much as their fans do?
Seriously, who wrote the story mode?
I need to know because I want to find them and ask "Who hurt you? Who did this to you that you wrote a letter seeking help that was the SFV story mode?"

That, or Capcom has fundamentally different interpretations of their own characters than their fans.

My wife was watching me play the story mode. Her exact comment: "What are you watching? This is so bad, and yet you make fun of my soap operas? Yeah you have no room to talk trash about Victor Newman and the Young and the Restless writing any more."

Rymuth

You were polite so I'll answer in kind

1) You are not locked out of regular characters. Every subsequent character is an Add-on. If you buy the game right now, you'd get all the available characters for a cheaper price than the game was at launch

2) Ever played an MMO? You basically have to grinds raid every week and wait for a reset, hoping the RNGods would bless you for the item so that you are able to access all the content. DOTA and LoL also lock out of other characters, unless you buy them

3) It's Cash or in-game currency. Two methods. Every game follows this model. What other option is there? Loot crates?

I just did the story mode for the 80,000 fight money.
WTF DID I JUST WATCH?

Is it me or does Capcom just not care about their characters as much as their fans do?
Seriously, who wrote the story mode?
I need to know because I want to find them and ask "Who hurt you? Who did this to you that you wrote a letter seeking help that was the SFV story mode?"

That, or Capcom has fundamentally different interpretations of their own characters than their fans.

My wife was watching me play the story mode. Her exact comment: "What are you watching? This is so bad, and yet you make fun of my soap operas? Yeah you have no room to talk trash about Victor Newman and the Young and the Restless writing any more."
The story mode in this game was fucking awful. I was literally falling asleep and just pushed through the shit to finish it in one session. It's like they wanted the netherrealm story mode but fell flag on their face.

LakeEarth

I always defend SFV, but this shit infuriates me to no end. There are more than half a dozen characters that still only have 3 costumes (regular, story mode, and the 'launch' premium costume) while Chun is near (or at) the double digits.

I always defend SFV, but this shit infuriates me to no end. There are more than half a dozen characters that still only have 3 costumes (regular, story mode, and the 'launch' premium costume) while Chun is near (or at) the double digits.
We need another round of Battle Outfits to solve this issue.

Rymuth

And yet, FM takes an inordinate amount of time and $5.99 is very a steep price to pay for each character. I was thinking maybe there would be a pack of characters for $10-15, but no.

There is, it's called a season pass and it regularly hits $10

https://www.destructoid.com/sony-is-holding-a-critics-choice-psn-sale-along-with-a-15-back-offer-420080.phtml

Street Fighter V - Season One Character Pass: $11.99

It seems most of your problems have been addressed already but you didn't care to do the research?

Top Bottom