• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's 2017 Nintendo, why you can't you do basic online

So Sony didn't know how basic online worked Christmas 2014 when PSN was down for several days due to extremely high demand either ? Preloading very much wasn't a thing back then too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There's a reason everyone's talking about preloading, you know... I'm not saying it still wouldn't have crashed, but it could've allowed you to avoid it if you desired. I know how server stress works.

My commentary was on this as well, yes. Intentionally, based on the more general thread title.

That doesn't at all answer my question.

My point is that shit like this isn't new and crap like OP and some of the posters here are doing the usual hyperbole to the point that it makes you wonder if people here never actually accessed video game services like Steam. Yeah it sucks about the mic situation which is really dumb, but people for some odd reason refer to that part and apply it to anything unrelated. It's like saying "oh shit the voice chat setup is needlessly garbage, Zelda is crappy now!"

And is it really "a 2008 year old practice" when they've actually been doing preloading on their previous machines and just the new one not having it? Hell we still have the "Nintendo accounts!" post up above.

Boss Doggie

Few major companies as incompetent as Nintendo is certain aspect like online or manufacturing. Literally amateur hour.

is this the revisionist "nintendo doesn't do preload and account system" post

and no, there's a difference between "switch has no preload" and "nintendo doesn't implement preload"

JoeM86

Few major companies as incompetent as Nintendo is certain aspect like online or manufacturing. Literally amateur hour.

Their online is functional and it works. Yes it lacks bells and whistles, but that's not a sign of incompetence

JoeM86

The point is, shit happens to everyone in the business. The eShop is already back up and people can buy Splatoon 2 again.

These cringeworthy hot takes make someone like the OP sound like they have the memory of a goldfish.

Na. Since the release of the app, it's become cool to shit on Nintendo again, even with incorrect context/basis.

The app is clearly a misstep, but the way people are acting is ridiculous.

Rmagnus

Banned
Na. Since the release of the app, it's become cool to shit on Nintendo again, even with incorrect context/basis.

No boo it's always cool to shit on Nintendo lol.

fade_

I honestly dont think it's something technical with the voice chat. I think its Nintendo not wanting their games to be sullied with the type of offensive talk you hear when you play call of duty. Am I being naive? Is this not even a factor?

JoeM86

I honestly dont think it's something technical with the voice chat. I think its Nintendo not wanting their games to be sullied with the type of offensive talk you hear when you play call of duty. Am I being naive? Is this not even a factor?

I think that is a bit of a factor in it, yeah.

I stopped caring about voice chat when I kept getting 11 year olds telling me to kill myself and using obscene amounts of profanity on games with 18+ ratings.

That doesn't excuse the app being a mess, though. However people can't see that. They see the app being dodgy and assume Nintendo are incompetent/incapable at features unrelated to the app

modsbox

This is a good example of why making consoles that use backward compatible parts will be good for everyone. So Nintendo doesn't have to reinvent the wheel every console.

What's nice for Sony about Pro or a hardware bc ps5? That they don't have to write a whole OS from scratch every time. Would really help out Nintendo to be able to solve a problem once and keep using it, since basic online stuff is extremely challenging for them.

Sho Nuff

Banned
Here's my prediction:

-- Japan is clueless and calling the shots.
-- The US office knows that terrible decisions are being made, they're probably tearing their hair out, but have no power to fix anything before ship.
-- Hi US office! I know you guys are reading NeoGAF. I feel for you, I've been there.
-- All the US can do is translate (bad) feedback so the mothership can slowly course correct. If they even care.

That being said, Japanese gamers are going to tear this shit apart too, so they'll likely get attacked from both Western and Eastern markets.

Steroyd

But why be this obtuse for everyone?

Why not implement a system that's been tried and tested for over a decade and then set the default to mute all and have an opt in if you want to hear voice chat, that way Nintendo "protects the children" and has a system people would want to use.

Boss Doggie

You could really tell which ones never owned a Nintendo item if they keep parroting the "Nintendo never did preload". It's weird since fucking /v/ of all places is more nuanced about stuff like this. lol

Here's my prediction:

-- Japan is clueless and calling the shots.
-- The US office knows that terrible decisions are being made, they're probably tearing their hair out, but have no power to fix anything before ship.
-- Hi US office! I know you guys are reading NeoGAF. I feel for you, I've been there.
-- All the US can do is translate (bad) feedback so the mothership can slowly course correct. If they even care.

That being said, Japanese gamers are going to tear this shit apart too, so they'll likely get attacked from both Western and Eastern markets.

Or you know, the usual "so many people downloading that the service gets shot" scenario.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Or you know, the usual "so many people downloading that the service gets shot" scenario.

Let's play this game. How many people do you estimate?

Considering the Switch install base in NA, the attach rate, the usual ratio of digital buyers (plus 5% bonus for popularity and availability for Splatoon 2) and the ratio of day 1 buyers? Think about it.

Boss Doggie

Let's play this game. How many people do you estimate?

Considering the Switch install base in NA, the usual ratio of digital buyers (plus 5% bonus for popularity and availability for Splatoon 2) and the ratio of day 1 buyers? Think about it.

the eshop access also includes Japan since I think it's the same release

said Japan users apparently blew Amazon JP

so yeah they should have seen this coming, but at the same time I won't associate this shit as "lol incompetent nintendo because they can't voice chat"

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
the eshop access also includes Japan since I think it's the same release

said Japan users apparently blew Amazon JP

so yeah they should have seen this coming, but at the same time I won't associate this shit as "lol incompetent nintendo because they can't voice chat"

Japan launched many hours before this. Different timezone.

Who remembers that story where Nintendo online engineers hadn't even used PSN or XBL to see what the comp was doing before the Wii U launch?
I'm pretty sure that was a real story I read on Gaf.

Their ass backwards approach to online is a seevere L for the Switch.
I like the system quite a lot but the basic online features/voice chat/matchmaking with friends/messaging is complete garbage

I don't think it is. How many years have we had this song and dance over on N-E about Nintendo getting online gaming up to scratch? People are sick and tired of having to put up with a lack of online communication features on Nintendo platforms. I just see the reaction to the app as years of pent up frustrations from gamers wanting Nintendo to just do what the other platforms have been doing for years now.

I think that is a bit of a factor in it, yeah.

I stopped caring about voice chat when I kept getting 11 year olds telling me to kill myself and using obscene amounts of profanity on games with 18+ ratings.

That doesn't excuse the app being a mess, though. However people can't see that. They see the app being dodgy and assume Nintendo are incompetent/incapable at features unrelated to the app

It wouldn't be a factor if the had party chat at an OS level, rather than voice chat on a game by game basis. Nintendo could just limit party chat to those you have on your list. I imagine most people just want to just talk to those on their friends list anyway and have a laugh with those people they actually know.

There are also other options such as being able to mute players or somehow using the parental app to control who kids can communicate with.

Nintendo can do basic online. It had basic online on Switch before this app.

So why doesn't it have it on the Switch? This thread is more than just about the e-shop crashing.

Oh boy, what a surprise. Do you play other gaming systems? Do you realise that the Switch having an app as the only options for features that other systems both home and handheld have had for nearly a decade is not what a global company like Nintendo should be providing their fans in 2017? And even still that app is both poorly designed and is STILL missing industry standard features. People are not being ridiculous. To act as if this shit is okay is ridiculous.

Because it takes and costs billions. Nintendo online is a complete joke

Money which they've made hand over first for years now. Nintendo and its fans are always talking about how much money the company makes, so why is that money not being reinvested into online and networking? They can't honestly expect the likes of Splatoon 2 to take off with mainstream audiences if they can't even sort out their online services.

Piers

But why be this obtuse for everyone?

Why not implement a system that's been tried and tested for over a decade and then set the default to mute all and have an opt in if you want to hear voice chat, that way Nintendo "protects the children" and has a system people would want to use.

That's the thing: there's already a Parental Controls app, so surely they could implement functionality of toggling voice chat there. Otherwise, there's nothing to stop people from just using other apps like Skype, Curse or whatever.
And one could think it's a hardware limitation on the Switch but then why even need the Switch plugged in at all? Maybe Nintendo don't want to feel cheap by telling people to just use other apps but honestly, it'd be surprising if people got annoyed by that suggestion. By 2017, at least for me, that's how I'm voice chatting with friends 90% of the time. (If not on Steam)

But this is same level of arbitrariness that gave us friend codes, so it could still be based on concern over children and strangers.

watershed

Banned
It's not a matter of can or can't. It is so clearly not a priority for them. Nintendo is not interested in investing in and executing features like online voice chat the same way they are in executing features like docked and undocked gameplay or local multiplayer or a simple (maybe too simple) eshop. In areas where they care, they execute fairly well. Where they don't, we get half-assed stuff or stuff that makes no sense. Another clear example, sharing screenshots improved greatly between the WiiU and Switch. Nintendo wants people to be able to easily share screenshots thru social media and the process is very easy and fast on the Switch. They prioritized that and executed it well. Voicechat...not so much.

Boss Doggie

I can't wait for when preloading becomes a part of an update, people will post "welcome to present day nintendo", as though they didn't have it in previous systems, and it's as if updating features weren't a thing

Japan launched many hours before this. Different timezone.

then there's a possible traffic effect then

notaskwid

I can't wait for when preloading becomes a part of an update, people will post "welcome to present day nintendo", as though they didn't have it in previous systems, and it's as if updating features weren't a thing

then there's a possible traffic effect then
Would you be satisfied if people posted "welcome back to the present Nintendo"?

If people honestly think it’s server load then Nintendo are screwed if they get the stock situation fixed if they can’t even handle current Switch users.

Simply put it's not a high enough priority from the person who makes that decision.
Very simple they have the money to do it right they can hire the right people but if there is no will from JP it will not get done.

Boss Doggie

Would you be satisfied if people posted "welcome back to the present Nintendo"?

at least it did my expectations

mind you I'm more on attacking OP's hyperbolic premise and the snide comments due to one aspect suddenly spreading, not defending nintendo's stupid mic chat set up

JoeM86

So why doesn't it have it on the Switch? This thread is more than just about the e-shop crashing.

The Switch does have basic online, or was my Mario Kart and ARMS online play nonexistent. Hmm...

Oh boy, what a surprise. Do you play other gaming systems? Do you realise that the Switch having an app as the only options for features that other systems both home and handheld have had for nearly a decade is not what a global company like Nintendo should be providing their fans in 2017? And even still that app is both poorly designed and is STILL missing industry standard features. People are not being ridiculous. To act as if this shit is okay is ridiculous.
You do know I'm not defending the app and am saying it's a mistake, right?

You know when it's a feature that everyone else has it stops being considered a bell and whistle right?

That's not really how it works. The Switch has basic online, so the entire narrative of this thread is flawed.

I don't think it is. How many years have we had this song and dance over on N-E about Nintendo getting online gaming up to scratch? People are sick and tired of having to put up with a lack of online communication features on Nintendo platforms. I just see the reaction to the app as years of pent up frustrations from gamers wanting Nintendo to just do what the other platforms have been doing for years now..

I'm not saying they don't need criticism for the app. It's a bizarre option. My issue is with people making hyperbolic and inaccurate statements just because of their disdain for the app.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Simply put it's not a high enough priority from the person who makes that decision.
Very simple they have the money to do it right they can hire the right people but if there is no will from JP it will not get done.

Yes, server workload is practically a cost topic. Somebody in Japan or NoA decided that they don't want to pay more to have a decent capacity.

It's a big deal really. Nintendo sucks at online.

And for a lot of multiplayer games, online is what keeps a game fun.

It's not just their online service that sucks, but their games also lack the basic feautures that keep online games fun. Like there is 0 progression or reason to keep playing Mario Kart online.

The Switch does have basic online, or was my Mario Kart and ARMS online play nonexistent. Hmm...

You do know I'm not defending the app and am saying it's a mistake, right?

That's not really how it works

I'm not saying they don't need criticism for the app. It's a bizarre option. My issue is with people making hyperbolic and inaccurate statements just because of their disdain for the app.
Would you consider someone saying that the lack of real team matchmaking in their main multiplayer releases is an enormous misstep? That their inability to include chat and other party features on the console itself is indicative of a complete lack of knowledge on modern online infrastructure? That releasing a barebones app that doesn't even compare to other optional companion apps as a MANDATORY APP to access statistics and friend lobbies on a third party device is utterly absurd?

What are some examples of the hyperbole you're so eager to defend Nintendo from? The majority of the feedback is utter disbelief and contempt, sure, but it isn't especially hyperbolic. Sometimes a shit product deserves to be called what it is (the online, app, and general lack of multimedia features in this case, not the console itself. The console is fine).

If this is all stemming from you defining "basic online" as "can play with strangers" rather than "the current standard of online gaming," that's more a failure on your part to understand context than it is a flaw in anyone's argument.

The App and it's existence is a complete farce, and seriously what kind of fucking idiots leave 5 star reviews for that steaming pile of shit on google play... I can't even....

JoeM86

Would you consider someone saying that the lack of real team matchmaking in their main multiplayer releases is an enormous misstep? That their inability to include chat and other party features on the console itself is indicative of a complete lack of knowledge on modern online infrastructure? That releasing a barebones app that doesn't even compare to other optional companion apps as a MANDATORY APP to access statistics and friend lobbies on a third party device is utterly absurd?

What are some examples of the hyperbole you're so eager to defend Nintendo from? The majority of the feedback is utter disbelief and contempt, sure, but it isn't especially hyperbolic. Sometimes a shit product deserves to be called what it is (the online, app, and general lack of multimedia features in this case, not the console itself. The console is fine).

If this is all stemming from you defining "basic online" as "can play with strangers" rather than "the current standard of online gaming," that's more a failure on your part to understand context than it is a flaw in anyone's argument.

I think it's more an issue with people conflating the definition of basic to the definition of standard.

Also, again, I am not defending the app here. Why are people acting like I am?

The hyperbole is quite clear if you look at this thread and the other one. For one, people sharing that third party solution acting like that's what Nintendo intend for you to have. That's the epitome of it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
For one, people sharing that third party solution acting like that's what Nintendo intend for you to have. That's the epitome of it.

What's Nintendo intend then? What's their solution for hearing both the game audio and voice chat?

The third party solution being the audio mixer from Hori?

You're saying, then, that Nintendo doesn't want anyone to have both audio sources in one set of headphones then, right? Because they've released nothing on that front.

Or are you talking about the phone cradle? Because once again, they've left us without alternatives.

Or maybe you mean people advocating discord instead of the horrible Nintendo app that won't let you use your phone for anything else (other than maybe a space heater)? Because yeah, they certainly don't want that.

Or is it the fact that we have to use 3rd party devices to even access the app in the first place? Because that definitely was intentional.

No headphones and wires
Oh, so yeah, Nintendo has no solution. You're just supposed to have the audio from the TV blast into your phone. Yeah. And you think that's better than all of the wires and whatnot. Yeah. This is the defense you're making. That people wanting to use gaming headsets are deliberately making Nintendo look bad because they could just not. Ok.

Top Bottom