• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom announces Dead Rising: Chop Til' You Drop for US (Press Release inside)

itxaka

Defeatist
Diablos said:
...and there goes half of what made the original so challenging. I bitched about the save system at first, too (search through my posts if you want), but then I realized why it was like that, and appreciated it because it really does make the game much more challenging.

Be aware that is supposed to be complete different, so probably the save system is changed to be accommodated to the game so no problems for me there.

Sold on my part just for the title :)

Capcom said:
• Utilizes the same engine as Resident Evil 4 Wii edition.
• New level of interaction – aim and fire guns, swing and throw weapons and shake off zombie attacks with added Wii Remote functionality
• Huge environment – expansive indoor and outdoor areas of the mall provide a variety of different locations to explore
• Improved save functionality allows for more seamless gameplay
• Hoards of enemies on screen at once resulting in non-stop, pulse-pounding action
• Anything in the mall is at Frank’s disposal
• Grab environmental objects like umbrellas and benches to use as improvised weapons
• Snatch items from different stores to use as weapons including golf clubs, lawnmowers, frying pans and more
• Consume food and drink to revive health

Got to love the writers of bullet points, those last four all pretty much say the same thing.

Diablos

itxaka said:
Be aware that is supposed to be complete different, so probably the save system is changed to be accommodated to the game so no problems for me there.

Sold on my part just for the title :)
But that's what pisses me off. Might as well just make a completely different game, in a different location, with different characters, instead of modifying what was a perfect game that had already been completed and released on another console.

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Anyways, yes its different. Some purist will hate the new save system, some will love it, but it doesn't bode bad for the Wii version for crying out loud.
What does this have to do with being a "purist"? Time management and knowing that you only had one slot (both of which have been nuked from this version), so you had to think quickly in a world where you can make all kinds of different decisions is what made Dead Rising so much fun. Knowing you could start another game and go down a different path adds much replay value.

nightez

Banned
FightyF said:

My own sources say otherwise

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20070131/3dlp.htm

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=919504&postcount=88

1. This MT engine work started in Sept. 2004 and they had something up and running by January 2005. It's based on the Onimusha 3 engine. The project started with just one engineer, then ramped up to 3, and now they have 5 people maintaining and upgrading the code. They added 4 people now just for the PS3 port which started in Oct. 2005. The MT engine is currently used for Dead Rising and Lost Planet, but future cross-platform next-gen games will also use it.

2. They evaluated UE3, and they see they appreciate the strengths of that engine. But they were worried about some of the performance limitations at the time, and the lack of support personnel in Japan. They have high hopes for UE3 in the future. But they decided this time to go at building their own tech.

3. They started with Xbox 360 since it is so close to the PC platform and mostly compatible.

4. There have been requests from developers to license their engine due to the success of Lost Planet and Dead Rising. But Capcom feels that it would take too much effort to hire the appropriate support staff. They would rather put more effort into developing even better games for their users.

5. They talk a bit about the multithreading techniques they are using to get the power out of the asynchronously multicore CPUs in the 360 and PS3.

6. They give a detailed description of the technique and provide screenshots to show they are using to do motion blur on the Xbox 360. The algorithms are based on a talk given by Simon Green at NVIDIA at GDC back in 2003. (This is the one aspect of Lost Planet that looks truly next-gen, and makes the game really stand out and look unbelievably beautiful.)

FightyF said:
How is the save system better if it takes all tension away from the game? If it takes away all the drama? If it takes away all negative consequences?

You are effectively dumbing the game down. That's not making the game better by any stretch.
Did you read the press release? The game still has decision making.

Teknoman

Aaron Strife said:
Did you read the press release? The game still has decision making.

You probably will still only be able to do certain missions since saving one person may mean leaving someone else to die. Im sure they wont upend Dead Rising's basic gameplay completly.

Diablos said:
But that's what pisses me off. Might as well just make a completely different game, in a different location, with different characters, instead of modifying what was a perfect game that had already been completed and released on another console.

What does this have to do with being a "purist"? Time management and knowing that you only had one slot (both of which have been nuked from this version), so you had to think quickly in a world where you can make all kinds of different decisions is what made Dead Rising so much fun. Knowing you could start another game and go down a different path adds much replay value.

Well maybe you should stop thinking of it as the same game then. Sure it has the same characters, story and basic premise (use anything as a weapon, fight through zombie hordes) but everything else is different. And also you act like you know what the new save system is like. You just assume it's horrible and ruins the game but we don't even know anything outside the fact that it's different

Mar

Strange that fellow Dead Rising fans are doing more complaining about the save system, than the fact that taking photos is not in the game at all.

While the save system was great in the 360 version, I can live with changes to it. Especially when it seems the entire mission system is linear now. There's no reason to force a save system on people encouraging multiple play throughs, when the game isn't an open world. I mean, that just makes sense right?

But the photo taking is what sold me on the game to begin with and it not being in the Wii version is the biggest flaw in my opinion.

Still buying it day 1.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Mar_ said:
Strange that fellow Dead Rising fans are doing more complaining about the save system, than the fact that taking photos is not in the game at all.

While the save system was great in the 360 version, I can live with changes to it. Especially when it seems the entire mission system is linear now. There's no reason to force a save system on people encouraging multiple play throughs, when the game isn't an open world. I mean, that just makes sense right?

But the photo taking is what sold me on the game to begin with and it not being in the Wii version is the biggest flaw in my opinion.

Still buying it day 1.

See, I never really cared about the photo taking but I loved the save system and the way it forced you to make choices.

Diablos said:

Because mainly the purist only care about this being dropped. A person that plays the same game repeatedly complains about this. Sure it sucks thats its gone but it doesnt completely change the game. So some people might not feel as much tension. I don't know about you but really the only tension I ever felt was just trying to get the survivors back to base. Aside from that its was a pretty awesome zombie killing game.

I just think for anyone thats not happy with the decision and have or has played the 360 version should just avoid it. People that only have a Wii and want the game have no other choice but seeing as they never played the game most likely will only somewhat miss these things if at all.

The way you guys come off on this board is like the game isn't going to feel like Dead Rising and I think thats just ridiculous. The core gameplay or rescuing people, killing zombies in many ways, costumes, etc is still there along with the storyline. Gameplay is still there, its just has a different set of rules.

donny2112

Dragona Akehi said:
Another DR Wii thread, another batch of unfunny trolls.

Excellent observation.

I'll be picking this game up. I'm glad they're reusing the RE4 engine. They'll probably improve on it a little here and a little with their upcoming RE game (whether it be RE5, RE4:Gaiden or whatever). :)

What I like is that its not simply a downgraded version of Dead Rising from 360. They're actually reworking the core game in order to suit the Wii's strengths (and weaknesses) and differentiating this version from its 360 counterpart.

What this means is that it looks like it'll actually be worth owning both versions, since the Wii version is that much different to what we saw on the 360.

Mar

Fatghost said:
See, I never really cared about the photo taking but I loved the save system and the way it forced you to make choices.

I loved it too. But people seem to be missing my point.

Why have a system which forces you to make tough decisions, when the game no longer has tough decisions? Everything we've heard so far points to the fact that the game will be linear, and you solve missions one after another. Having a save system made for an open world with open decisions in a closed world with closed missions doesn't make sense.

Miniboss1232 said:
So many people arguing over the save system of a game they'll never buy anyways.

Right? I mean hell I'm buying it, I own the 360 version already, and I'm still NOT complaining... lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hey guys the 360 version should totally have used a password system, memory-based saves ruin so much of the tension yo.

Aaron

Andrex said:
Hey guys the 360 version should totally have used a password system, memory-based saves ruin so much of the tension yo.
There would be considerably less tension with a password system, since you could recall that state an infinite number of times. Jackass.

Brofist

That's a decent title. And i thought it was going to be named something like Dead Rising: Sporadic Zombies

koam said:
Did they announce RE5: Wii Edition yet?

no

Will be interesting how they will market that one of they ever get it though. "Taking advantage of the same proven technology that brought Resident Evil® 4 so successfully to Wii, Resident Evil 5 delivers a..."

kpop100 said:
Will be interesting how they will market that one of they ever get it though. "Taking advantage of the same proven technology that brought Resident Evil® 4 so successfully to Wii, Resident Evil 5 delivers a..."

I think they might choose to focus on the controls. Just a guess.

Pachinko

It's a borked simplified game for a borked simplified audience. Seriously does anyone ONLY own a wii? I don't think there's a gamer that would admit to it.

The wii is a casual system for casually minded people , dead rising on 360 was most definetly a 'core gamer' title but the wii version not only needs to be watered down due to massive technical limitations but reworked so that the casual audience can figure out how to play it and still enjoy it.

It's also not super farfetched to me that some aspects still look pretty good, the zombie count is about 10% of what it was and it's running at less then half the resolution. That along shaves ALOT off the demand placed on the wii to compute all the graphics.

There's also a group of people that enjoyed most of what was offered on 360 but had troubles with the difficulty / save system. This version of the game will atleast allow them to see the storyline unfold without as much issues.

Teknoman

Pachinko said:
It's a borked simplified game for a borked simplified audience. Seriously does anyone ONLY own a wii? I don't think there's a gamer that would admit to it.

The wii is a casual system for casually minded people , dead rising on 360 was most definetly a 'core gamer' title but the wii version not only needs to be watered down due to massive technical limitations but reworked so that the casual audience can figure out how to play it and still enjoy it.

It's also not super farfetched to me that some aspects still look pretty good, the zombie count is about 10% of what it was and it's running at less then half the resolution. That along shaves ALOT off the demand placed on the wii to compute all the graphics.

There's also a group of people that enjoyed most of what was offered on 360 but had troubles with the difficulty / save system. This version of the game will atleast allow them to see the storyline unfold without as much issues.

Heh...Dead Rising with RE4 Wii style controls actually seems more fun than normal Dead Rising controls. I really dont think that mouse-like precision makes a game more casual. As for the save style and other alterations, I doubt it'll make the game any easier.

Tenbatsu

Pachinko said:

:lol

Teknoman said:
Heh...Dead Rising with RE4 Wii style controls actually seems more fun than normal Dead Rising controls. I really dont think that mouse-like precision makes a game more casual. As for the save style and other alterations, I doubt it'll make the game any easier.
I agree that the RE4 controls will make aiming more intuitive, but "mouse like precision"? Come on now... Which Wii have you been playing? When I move my mouse, my cursor doesn't shake around like I have mild Parkinson's. :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pachinko said:

This was asked like two months ago in the April NPD thread.

Hi.

Teknoman

Shogmaster said:
I agree that the RE4 controls will make aiming more intuitive, but "mouse like precision"? Come on now... Which Wii have you been playing? When I move my mouse, my cursor doesn't shake around like I have mild Parkinson's. :lol

Alright then "more accurate than aiming with an analog" position :lol

AniHawk

The thing I hate most about this game is that my 360 version will automatically start to suck. If only there was a way of preserving its quality somehow.

Teknoman

AniHawk said:
The thing I hate most about this game is that my 360 version will automatically start to suck. If only there was a way of preserving its quality somehow.

Actually this may stop me from repurchasing the 360 game. I was going to since my first copy was glitched in that after a certain point far into the game, it would load forever when trying to exit the mall. But now I think i'll wait and see how this turns out.

Teknoman said:
Alright then "more accurate than aiming with an analog" position :lol
I don't think it's more accurate. More intuitive, sure. Faster cursor, sure. But too shaky to be labeled "more accurate".

Pachinko said:
I only own a Wii. You can only do so much on a non-salary job and bills.

Teknoman said:

I think only for aiming the Wii controls will be better. It seems like they are having more focus on the guns in this version, since anyone who played the 360 knows that guns weren't the best options.

And I think discussion of this port is actually quite funny to be honest. Both sides are hilarious.

Teknoman

I dunno, guns were pretty useful during most boss battles. Maybe not against Zombies themselves, but it'll help to pull off quick shots on the psychos.

That and since I liked the knife attacking wiimote style, hopefully they'll do something just as smooth with melee weapons.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
FightyF said:
I'm not saying it's simply different, I'm pointing out the fact that it is inferior.

I think we can all agree that putting a "God mode" in any game would make it worse, as there are no negative consequences. You are seeing something similar here.
Except lots of games do not have Dead Risings save system. Apparently all these save systems are inferior but the developers just don't realize? Or the Dead Rising save system is only superior for zombie games? Or zombie games set in malls?

basik

Pachinko said:

wii is the only next-gen system I own... I'm an ex-pc hardcore fps player and I got tired of upgrading my computer. I always thought mouse+keyboard was superior to traditional console controls in any game that involved 1st/3rd person weapon aiming until wii+nunchuck came along. I love wii controls and am looking forward to playing this on wii. when I look at vids of some traditional controls now it's like watching a keyboard only player play quake before everybody started using mouses... it looks way too stiff for me...it looks old and outdated to me I dont care about graphics.

FightyF

Banned
nightez: Thanks for the info. Someone's gotta clear that up.

Miniboss1232 said:
So many people arguing over the save system of a game they'll never buy anyways.

If you're referring to me, my purchase would wholly depend on whether the game deserves to be bought or not. If they take away some of the great design of the first one, the less likely I will be to buy it.

poppabk said:
Except lots of games do not have Dead Risings save system. Apparently all these save systems are inferior but the developers just don't realize? Or the Dead Rising save system is only superior for zombie games? Or zombie games set in malls?

It has to do with other things like game length (DR wasn't a very long game, shorter than most single player games), the design of player attributes and upgrading (you could upgrade Frank, and when you died, kept these upgrades when you started all over), and the particular genre you are working with (linear platformers would not work well in this situation as you are playing the game the same way all over again, and yes, games like Mario and Sonic do fit into this category, so those games gave you multiple lives, whereas Dead Rising was an open world, and could be tackled very differently through each playthrough).

You do realize that it has less to do with how the game "saves" (as you can save it like any other game, if you go to savepoints), but more to do with how you only have ONE LIFE?

There are people in here arguing about how complicated DR is. :( My god. There are zombies and an assortment of armed assholes. You bash their skulls in, or you run. It's not rocket surgery.

Someone link to the Castlevania: SoTN XBLA thread of "how the fuck do you get anywhere in this game?!"

In this topic: people bitching purely on speculation (again).

Diablos said:
Time management and knowing that you only had one slot (both of which have been nuked from this version), so you had to think quickly in a world where you can make all kinds of different decisions is what made Dead Rising so much fun.

Where did that get said? All I've seen claimed is that it's been 'streamlined' - which could mean pretty much ANYTHING, from an autosave after each case that doesn't require you to sleep in the security room, to dividing the game into 'chapters' which you can start at any time, to anything in between.

Also the PR quote pretty fucking explicitly states that there is time management and choices to be made about who to save, with skill required to save everybody - hey, just like the 360 version did!

The game is split into a series of individual cases, all of which Frank must complete in order to gain vital information that will allow him to piece together the truth behind the horrendous epidemic. In addition to the cases, players will be faced with the dilemma of deciding the rescue priority of the residents of Wilamette who also sought sanctuary in the mall. Depending on the player’s skill, some may not be so fortunate as each rescue needs to be undertaken in a set time period, therefore players may need to delay completion of a case in order to save a fellow human.

Mar_ said:
Why have a system which forces you to make tough decisions, when the game no longer has tough decisions? Everything we've heard so far points to the fact that the game will be linear, and you solve missions one after another. Having a save system made for an open world with open decisions in a closed world with closed missions doesn't make sense.

Again, we don't really know what they're doing with it, but the original DR had a somewhat linear missions system with specific timing (which was why people bitched about it mostly - spend too long dicking about and ignoring your cases, and you get a 'YOU FAIL, RELOAD OR PLAY TILL GAME OVER?' message and there was nothing to stop you making your last (and only) save in a lose-lose position) - for all we know, all DRWii is doing is preventing you from making your only save when doing so would not leave you enough time to do your 'story' missions and prevent you from progressing any further.

Pachinko said:

rolleyes.gif

I don't know if there is a better term than retarded to label an entire consoles game library based on preconceptions of its audience, but given MS E3 presentations, it looks like MS has a pretty low opinion of the self-proclaimed 'core gamer' when they spend half their time making Mii-toos and bragging about karaoke and trivia games.

PROTIP: Nobody knows what the fuck Capcom have changed about Dead Rising to 'streamline' it. At this point, all bitching about it does is reinforce how butthurt people are about the Wii being worldwide sales leader and getting 'real games' now.

When all that's announced for it are shitty shovelware and minigameathons, it's all 'Wii60 FTW!', and mocking 'casuals' and shit, as soon as promsing titles that play to the strengths of the system - which is what a lot of Wii owners actually want - the overpaying for their consoles group of buyers remorse HD defence force are straight in with their 'DOWNGRADE TOTAL' bullshit.

FightyF said:
You do realize that it has less to do with how the game "saves" (as you can save it like any other game, if you go to savepoints), but more to do with how you only have ONE LIFE?

Lots of games only give you one life, lots of games give you RPG like levelling on that one life, and lots of games have only one available save file.

The difference between DR and lots of other games was that it let you save your game at a point where you are totally screwed and stood no chance of finishing the game in any 'good' way.

It never bothered me, but then I'm not a 'quicksave before every corner' type of gamer, which - ironically - a lot of 'core gamers' are.

Top Bottom