• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer reviews Too Human. Evilore 1, Dyack 0. Who cares?! We want the BATMAN!

polyh3dron said:
So THAT'S why they're not doing the TDK version of the Joker, y'know because of the hair and all that.

I think it has more to do with the fact that it's from another publisher that doesn't have the movie license.

border

BuddyC said:
It was, until the events of Batman Begins. Now the entire thing is considered Asylym grounds.
That seems really farfetched, that everyone in the local government would just forfeit an entire island full of valuable urban real estate to a bunch of criminals and loonies. Gotham Knight isn't really Nolan-approved cannon is it?

esbern

ffs fire the guy who thought this was a good idea:

- During battle a combo multiplier at the top of the screen will increase with every strike. Once the combo expires a colony of bats will swirl around Batman and then contribute to an experience bar on the left side of the screen. In an RPG like skill tree system players will be able to distribute points where they prefer. Think Combat moves, faster takedowns, or gadget upgrades like the ability to throw multiple batarangs at the same time.

Kittonwy

Banned
BuddyC said:
Not surprising, Rocksteady had job listings for a triple AAA "next-generation" project earlier this year, with Unreal experience being recommended.

What have they done before? Urban Chaos?
batman.gif

Sallokin

Jinfash said:
i know people are gonna hate me for asking this but Sallokin, can you please check the Too Human review and tell us what they didn't exactly like about the story?

EDIT: that can wait :lol please continue reporting

The specific passage on story goes a little something like this:

...This tale, which throws Norse mythology and science fiction into a malfunctioning blender, is a sizable train wreck that doesn't stop. It just keeps getting worse as it goes, unintentionally turning hallowed characters Thor and Loki into stooges that you can't help but point at and openly mock. On the one hand, you want the game to provide more narrative to tie things together, On the other hand, you want less because it's hard to endure as is...

BuddyC

border said:
That seems really farfetched, that everyone in the local government would just forfeit an entire island full of valuable urban real estate to a bunch of criminals and loonies. Gotham Knight isn't really Nolan-approved cannon is it?
Even if it's not, it sets a precedent for Gotham being an entire island in at least some Batman media.

I'm pretty sure it ties in since some at least character from Dark Knight is introduced in Gotham Knight, but *shrug*

Sallokin

BuddyC said:
Even if it's not, it sets a precedent for Gotham being an entire island in at least some Batman media.

I'm pretty sure it ties in since some at least character from Dark Knight is introduced in Gotham Knight, but *shrug*

This should help settle the debate.

"Eidos has the core Batman license which strictly covers the nearly 70 years of Batman comics. No Movies, No Shows, and certainly no campy Adam West antics."

Seems like they're pulling all the Arkham stuff from the comics only.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sallokin said:
The specific passage on story goes a little something like this:

...This tale, which throws Norse mythology and science fiction into a malfunctioning blender, is a sizable train wreck that doesn't stop. It just keeps getting worse as it goes, unintentionally turning hallowed characters Thor and Loki into stooges that you can't help but point at and openly mock. On the one hand, you want the game to provide more narrative to tie things together, On the other hand, you want less because it's hard to endure as is...
yikes, maybe there IS some truth to journalists wanting the game to fail, especially that line :/ so much fanboism in there

Kittonwy

Banned
Jinfash said:
yikes, maybe there IS some truth to journalists wanting the game to fail, especially that line :/ so much fanboism in there

I don't think journalists want this game to fail when a lot of them have already given Dyack a platform to promote his game, especially IGN and 1UP, if anything I think some of them are definitely pulling some punches in their previews.
Indifferent2.gif

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Kittonwy said:
I don't think journalists want this game to fail when a lot of them have already given Dyack a platform to promote his game, especially IGN and 1UP, if anything I think some of them are definitely pulling some punches.
Indifferent2.gif
i totally agree with you on how IGN and 1UP are giving the game a lot coverage and hype, but maybe that's the problem, maybe there others who find that attention unjustified and want to even it it out :p

/conspiracy theory

Holtz

Recommended reading: Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth, Batman: The Last Arkham, and Arkham Asylum: Living Hell.
Hmm, i missed Last Arkham. Got to find it and read it. The other 2 are great stuff. :D
Arkham.jpg

Arkham_Asylum.jpg

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
how much longer til the release? i think no one's allowed to post an official thread until week before release.

Sallokin

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Ok, got Batman now with the reviews and rumours and what not.

Reviews:

Soul Calibur IV: 8.75, 8.75
Madden NFL 09: 8.25, 8.25
NFL Head Coach 09: 6.75, 6.75
Supreme Commander: 5.5, 4
Wall-E: 4, 4
Too Human: 6.75, 7
Sam and Max Season One: 7, 7
Order Up: 7.75, 8
Disgaea 3: 8.25, 8
Guitar Hero: On Tour: 7, 6.75
Bangai-O Spirits: 7.5, 7.5

LOOSE TALK:

Nintendo Waves Off Third Parties

Nintendo has always been known to be almost antagonistic towards third party publishers, and from what we heard at E, things haven't changed. Every developer and publisher we talked to said they hadn't heard about the Wii Motion Plus until the actual press conference. That's not a good start if you're trying to get third parties on board with developing for the peripheral and therefore convincing customers that it's worth their while. LucasArts in particular wasn't happy at being kept in the dark - especially since it created Star Wars The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels specifically for the console. The game was even included in Nintendo's press conference, the setting in which the Wii Motion Plus was introduced - which the game doesn't use, much to LucasArts' dismay. If this is Nintendo's attitude regarding it's new peripheral and third party adoption don't expect Wii Motion Plus to be adopted by many.

No Second Amendment For Avatars

Microsoft plans to let players earn or buy new clothes for their avatars, but Loose Talk has heard one particular accessory will not be allowed - weapons. We talked to a third party developer who wanted to allow players to earn weapons from their game which would then be shown on avatars but Microsoft wouldn't allow it. Whether this is because the interaction with the avatar isn't possible or because Microsoft doesn't want avatars to be toting guns is unknown. Regardless the company plans for gamers who garner a certain number of achievements in games to win clothing for their avatars.

Freezed Out?

Fans of Freezepop who are looking for their next dose of the synth group in Rock Band 2 will be disappointed. The band doesn't appear on the retail disk. This is however only a temporary loss. Loose Talk has learned that material from the group will be made available via a DLC song pack after the title's release.

Hey GAF, you've again been very kind about my GIF. Thanks for the nice comments, I'll continue to produce them as long as you enjoy them. Apologies for the hosting issues.

I know the thread has ascended past this, but I've not been online today and feel the need to address some points.

First of all, the Dyack suicide picture is a fucking disgrace. It's not funny, it really is the worst side of GAF. If you don't like my animated GIFs then that's fine, I understand that, different strokes for different folks and all that. But don't compare me to that shite, because I'm not even close.

I like Silicon Knights' work. Both Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness, are two of my favourite ever games (the former has its place as my avatar). I hope that this review is a fluke (given the publication's history, this is a possibility), and that the game is a superb piece of work. As much as some people dislike Dyack, the man and his team are very passionate about gaming and their game, and I wouldn't wish their efforts to result in mediocroty. If the game is shit, I don't see any reason to celebrate. After all, there are more than enough shit games in the world, and there can never be enough gems.

My GIF was intended as a bit of fun, Dyack's interogation of GAF for a "for" or "against" answer nicely fitting into the Star Trek scene. I hope it is taken in jest, as Michael Pachter did..

goldenpp72

I agree that a too human thread should be made now, so we can keep the haters out of ONE too human thread. I'll admit this review is discouraging but I dont want the game to be bad.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Mama Robotnik said:
dyackmadred.gif

There ya go, hopefully Jinfash can edit it back into the OP.
done, although i don't know why people keep screaming for a rehost. i was still able to view it even after clearing the cache :/

Who cares about Dyack and too human, that Batman games sounds in-fucking-credible. Oh please get Mark Hamil to reprise the Joker (hope thats not a rumor), and make him yell "YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN!!!!" even if it doesn't fit the story at all.

DrBo42

BobTheFork said:
Who cares about Dyack and too human, that Batman games sounds in-fucking-credible. Oh please get Mark Hamil to reprise the Joker (hope thats not a rumor), and make him yell "YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN!!!!" even if it doesn't fit the story at all.
Don't do that to yourself. Don't do that to us. Let's just take it one step at a time. :lol

Sallokin

Someone pointed out on the Joystick comments that the countdown on the Batman site looks like it's going to take approximately 21 years to countdown....

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sallokin said:
Someone pointed out on the Joystick comments that the countdown on the Batman site looks like it's going to take approximately 21 years to countdown....
:lol :lol :lol

WTF?? am i reading that right?

Zen

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Hey GAF, you've again been very kind about my GIF. Thanks for the nice comments, I'll continue to produce them as long as you enjoy them. Apologies for the hosting issues.

I know the thread has ascended past this, but I've not been online today and feel the need to address some points.

First of all, the Dyack suicide picture is a fucking disgrace. It's not funny, it really is the worst side of GAF. If you don't like my animated GIFs then that's fine, I understand that, different strokes for different folks and all that. But don't compare me to that shite, because I'm not even close.

I like Silicon Knights' work. Both Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and Too Human, are two of my favourite ever games (the former has its place as my avatar). I hope that this review is a fluke (given the publication's history, this is a possibility), and that the game is a superb piece of work. As much as some people dislike Dyack, the man and his team are very passionate about gaming and their game, and I wouldn't wish their efforts to result in mediocroty. If the game is shit, I don't see any reason to celebrate. After all, there are more than enough shit games in the world, and there can never be enough gems.

My GIF was intended as a bit of fun, Dyack's interogation of GAF for a "for" or "against" answer nicely fitting into the Star Trek scene. I hope it is taken in jest, as Michael Pachter did..

I just wanted to ask, is there a place where we can see all of these gifs that you've made?

Holtz said:
gi_cover_joker.jpg

So awesome. :D

As much as I'd die for a great Batman game I think I would die harder to play as the Joker, even if its just for a few minutes.

Hell, what would it take to make a Joker game with the planning mechanics from the old school Rainbow Six games? A man can dream...

Edit: "Joker plots the fall of the Dark Knight." Coattails, anyone :lol

Sallokin said:

Nintendo has always been known to be almost antagonistic towards third party publishers, and from what we heard at E, things haven't changed. Every developer and publisher we talked to said they hadn't heard about the Wii Motion Plus until the actual press conference. That's not a good start if you're trying to get third parties on board with developing for the peripheral and therefore convincing customers that it's worth their while. LucasArts in particular wasn't happy at being kept in the dark - especially since it created Star Wars The Clone Wars: Lightsaber Duels specifically for the console. The game was even included in Nintendo's press conference, the setting in which the Wii Motion Plus was introduced - which the game doesn't use, much to LucasArts' dismay. If this is Nintendo's attitude regarding it's new peripheral and third party adoption don't expect Wii Motion Plus to be adopted by many.

Sony did the same with the Sixaxis at E3 when even Kojima admitted he had no clue about it until he saw it on stage. I guess they feel if they were to show third parties then there would have been a leak.

Kittonwy

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
I agree that a too human thread should be made now, so we can keep the haters out of ONE too human thread. I'll admit this review is discouraging but I dont want the game to be bad.

The review doesn't make the game bad, it only reflects the quality of the game in the eyes of the reviewer, it is what it is, whether you want the game to be good or bad, none of that affects the quality of the game, the game is done, if it's bad, it's bad.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:

I like Silicon Knights' work. Both Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain and Too Human, are two of my favourite ever games (the former has its place as my avatar). I hope that this review is a fluke (given the publication's history, this is a possibility), and that the game is a superb piece of work. As much as some people dislike Dyack, the man and his team are very passionate about gaming and their game, and I wouldn't wish their efforts to result in mediocroty. If the game is shit, I don't see any reason to celebrate. After all, there are more than enough shit games in the world, and there can never be enough gems.

I don't want this to be a shit game either, I don't think anyone here does, but I don't want reviewers to fucking go soft on a shit game, EVER. GI tends to give 8s to everything, the fact that Too Human got a 6.75 should sound an alarm.
Indifferent2.gif

Freedom = $1.05 said:
As much as I'd die for a great Batman game I think I would die harder to play as the Joker, even if its just for a few minutes.

Only if they do it Rock Of Ages style...

"I saw an infinity of paths, endlessly changing...how can he live in that chaos?"

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Sallokin said:
Reviews:

Soul Calibur IV: 8.75, 8.75
Madden NFL 09: 8.25, 8.25
NFL Head Coach 09: 6.75, 6.75
Supreme Commander: 5.5, 4
Wall-E: 4, 4
Too Human: 6.75, 7
Sam and Max Season One: 7, 7
Order Up: 7.75, 8
Disgaea 3: 8.25, 8
Guitar Hero: On Tour: 7, 6.75
Bangai-O Spirits: 7.5, 7.5

LOOSE TALK:

No Second Amendment For Avatars

Microsoft plans to let players earn or buy new clothes for their avatars, but Loose Talk has heard one particular accessory will not be allowed - weapons. We talked to a third party developer who wanted to allow players to earn weapons from their game which would then be shown on avatars but Microsoft wouldn't allow it. Whether this is because the interaction with the avatar isn't possible or because Microsoft doesn't want avatars to be toting guns is unknown. Regardless the company plans for gamers who garner a certain number of achievements in games to win clothing for their avatars.

Freezed Out?

Fans of Freezepop who are looking for their next dose of the synth group in Rock Band 2 will be disappointed. The band doesn't appear on the retail disk. This is however only a temporary loss. Loose Talk has learned that material from the group will be made available via a DLC song pack after the title's release.
Nice, nice, what did they say about SCIV? Did they bitch about the single-player AI?

Top Bottom