• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

Bungie

I'd expect them to at least keep with PS+'s offerings. I already played Sleeping Dogs via Plus and bought it on PC for a few bucks. MS still has no excuse for charging more for XBLG than Sony does for a "mych superior" service. Kinda reminds me of the X1 being the weaker, less capable console yet also more expensive. It's ridiculous

Lol.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Sleeping Dogs is now free, and some DLC are 50% off. The DLC I wanted (Wheels of Fury Pack and Square Enix Pack) are still at full price, though. :(

Gurrry

So when the fuck do they start giving all the people who spent upwards to 600 bucks on their brand new system some free shit?

I made the switch to next gen, but all of their cool offerings for live remain solely on Xbox 360.

If you really wanted the console to sell, maybe think about offering something other than a fucking demo of NBA Live.

The 2 story based DLCs are half off...

Nightmare in North Point
& Year of the Snake.

Yay! I already beat the game and sold it so now I have a reason to play the DLC.

So when the fuck do they start giving all the people who spent upwards to 600 bucks on their brand new system some free shit?

I made the switch to next gen, but all of their cool offerings for live remain solely on Xbox 360.

If you really wanted the console to sell, maybe think about offering something other than a fucking demo of NBA Live.

What in God's name could they offer? Maybe Halo: Spartan Assault but that's probably about it. Come March, though, they really have no excuse not to throw something like Zoo Tycoon at people.

Tunavi

Banned

early adopters dont get discounts

They really need to fix the marketplace on their website asking to charge 19.99 for sleeping dogs even though it says "free". Guess I'll have to download it through the console instead of the website :(.

Gurrry

What in God's name could they offer? Maybe Halo: Spartan Assault but that's probably about it. Come March, though, they really have no excuse not to throw something like Zoo Tycoon at people.

I dont know, but thats not my job. Thats for MS to figure out.

But the bottom line is that they shouldnt talk about "Games With Gold" when you have gold on two platforms and not offer ANYTHING to the people who took the economic risk of buying your brand new console at launch.

Unless you bought a PS4.

abracadaver

True. The worst thing is stuff you buy on X1 does not count towards the xbox rewards program. Ive bought all my X1 games digital for high prices and Im not even getting the 2% rebate. And just in time with the X1 launch they removed the reward for playing a new game for 10 hours.

EBE

I dont know, but thats not my job. Thats for MS to figure out.

But the bottom line is that they shouldnt talk about "Games With Gold" when you have gold on two platforms and not offer ANYTHING to the people who took the economic risk of buying your brand new console at launch.

Unless you bought a PS4.

i think its a bit premature to be offering such a deal considering the rather small lineup of games currently available for the system. as others have said, in a few months the situation could be different. i fully expect the service to extend to us next gen owners by the end of 2014

Unless you bought a PS4.

Yeah, but it's only because Sony has a bunch of indie support so they can throw a few bones. It's not like those games are the big hitters people praise PS+ for. Not trying to shit on Resogun or anything before people have my head; just saying that if you look at what's currently available on the Xbox One, the best they could do to match the PS4 is either Peggle 2 or Spartan Assault, and then what do they do after two months?

zainetor

Banned

they said later this year.

Gurrry

Yeah, but it's only because Sony has a bunch of indie support so they can throw a few bones. It's not like those games are the big hitters people praise PS+ for. Not trying to shit on Resogun or anything before people have my head; just saying that if you look at what's currently available on the Xbox One, the best they could do to match the PS4 is either Peggle 2 or Spartan Assault, and then what do they do after two months?

I understand that completely, I dont mean to come off cynical.

Its just irritating.

Ive made commitment to go fully next gen. Yet, I sit here looking at my unplugged Xbox 360 and realize that there are opportunities that im missing out on.

Bottom line, change the name to Games with Gold For Xbox 360.

they said later this year.

Oh so like.. in the next 6 hours? ;)

Hiccup

Banned
I'm new to these XBL Games w/ Gold. I just downloaded Sleeping Dogs. Will Lara Croft be able to download today/tomorrow or is that another time of the month?

NeoGash

I'm new to these XBL Games w/ Gold. I just downloaded Sleeping Dogs. Will Lara Croft be able to download today/tomorrow or is that another time of the month?

Only one time of the month, the 16th. The first game is always the 1st-16th, so the second will always be the 16th - the end (wonder what FEB will look like).

It's MS own fault that they lack indie support. And it's not like Sony is giving random indie games away, they're giving out some pretty popular indie titles. Not to mention PS3 and Vita titles as well

So if I activate my one month Gold membership on the 2nd or 3rd I can squeeze three games out of it?

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Just started downloading Sleeping Dogs directly from the console, it says "Free with gold" on its xbox.com page but when I clicked on it earlier it wanted to charge me £15 so might not have been up yet.

Some of the DLC is also reduced and at least Just Cause 2 is reduced in price as well, might be some other games that are reduced too

I've been pretty critical of this program in the past... but these are great choices.

Sleeping Dogs is a GREAT get for Microsoft (and gold members), and Lara Croft: GoL is also a great choice. It's a really great co-op game.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but hopefully this indicates better offerings from them in the future.

I wonder if the improvement in Games with Gold is to do with MS having originally planned to do it until December 2013, locked in the games for that period relatively early and once they decided to continue it they've seen the feedback and are working on better (newer) games?

I hope so anyway, will certainly be able to tell in a few months and when they bring it to Xbox One.

EdgeXL

This is my guess and not necessarily what "really" happened at Microsoft...

Does anybody remember the first Ultimate Games on Demand sale on Xbox Live? It was fairly underwhelming with a few decent titles. Kameo, Bully, Dark Void, Perfect Dark Zero. Subsequent Ultimate Games on Demand sales had much better deals. I daresay some of them were even great deals. I am guessing Microsoft studied the sales data from the first sale and used it to pitch to other game publishers and that is how they got stronger titles for later GonD sales.

By the same token, perhaps Microsoft studied the data from the early Games with Gold deals and used it to negotiate better deals like Sleeping Dogs. PS Plus wasn't that great either at first. In June of 2012 Plus was relaunched with the Instant Game Collection but before that we got Sega Genesis titles, Minis, PSOne games that were 15-18 years old, etc. That was what Plus looked like for nearly two years before it relaunched with more recent games. I'm sure Sony also studied the user data for a long time before coming up with the Instant Game Collection. Microsoft could be doing the same. Too early to tell; it depends on what they offer over the next few months.

For the record- I don't care how old a game is on Plus or Gold. I only care about whether I own it and if I want to play it.

Couldn't be further from the truth. I'll give you the campaign - that was enjoyable. But the multiplayer was horrible. They took out everything that made Gears so great. There's virtually no strategy anymore and it just turned into a generic run and gun. If PCF or Epic Poland or whatever the hell they call themselves now makes the next iteration of the series then I'll just pretend Gears 3 was the last game in the series and play that til they shut the 360 servers down.

PCF only did the singleplayer campaign, EPIC themselves did the MP.

thenexus6

So I know this isn't the right thread but I couldn't find just an xbox live on..

Basically I have always had xbox gold and microsoft points via redeem codes, never had my credit card on my account. Recently I hooked up my paypal to buy some DLC on cheap, and a one month xbox live gold sub. I removed the auto renew (well I thought I did) but its just renewed for another month.

Looking around I found that unless you replace it with another payment option, you can not 1) remove the auto renewal and 2) remove it as a payment method.. So what can I do? Am I just stuck getting xbox live forever now? I was thinking if I paid for a 1 month gold month on like GAME.co.uk where they email you the redeem code and put that in maybe I can swap it in place for my paypal?

Any help welcome.

so they're going to actually try and keep up with PS+?

zhiw.png

Special C

What a great month for games with gold after several lackluster ones. Had me dusting off the 360 to help pass the Xbox One drought until Titanfall. Never got to play Sleeping Dogs and really enjoyed it (even 100%'d it). I had GoL but never got to co-op it. Now I was able to since my freinds have it free.

Feb 1st is almost here! Hoping for a good game to occupy my time. Any rumours out there?

Lettuce

Yeah MS need to up there game, give us 1 game at a time is very lack lusting when compared to PSN+ add on to this these games are old too.

Top Bottom