• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: "When Worlds Collide" [Insomniac game, leaked as R&C: Into The Nexus]

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
I'm playing the Ratchet and Clank trilogy right now and it's definitely better than Jak and Daxter.

This coming from a guy that grew up with the latter, and is just now playing the former.

I think this is my first time seeing someone say they grew up with Jak and Daxter, or any of Sony's PS2 IPs.

congrats on member, btw.

(somewhat off topic)

NES era, represent!

(back on topic)

I really enjoyed the first Jak, but I'm still not sure that it was better than Ratchet 1.. as rough as it was. But once you get to Going Commando, they shot way out into the lead.

Even if tomorrow it is announced to be PS3 only, that doesn't mean there will be no Ratchet game on PS4. Surely they will do a game to coincide with the film coming in 2015.

I meant this confirms this game won't be ps4. I suppose it could be cross gen - but man why announce a ps3 title 3-4 months before ps4 launch? It's not like the ratchet titles do crazy numbers on ps3.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The True Follow up to A Crack In Time? Oh mah gawd!

Raonak

Banned
Oh shit.. sunsetoverdrive being xbone exclusive left a sour taste in my mouth, but this redeems them in my eyes.

Toppot

I meant this confirms this game won't be ps4. I suppose it could be cross gen - but man why announce a ps3 title 3-4 months before ps4 launch? It's not like the ratchet titles do crazy numbers on ps3.

Because the PS3 has a massive install base, cheaper to make a game for and still has loads of people that will buy it. R&C games make Sony a good profit, hence why they keep getting Insomniac to make them.

The PS3 didn't have a launch R&C title, R&C did just fine and had the advantage of being the second game Insomniac made on the console, meaning it had a better engine making it look and play better than it would have had ToD been a launch title.

Jarnet87

Cool for long time fans of the series. As someone who has never been into either J&D or R&C Sunset Overdrive looks more exciting.

FourMyle

Eh, more Ratchet & Clank? Pass. I've had more than my fill of R&C last gen and this one and quite frankly, I'm fucking sick of that IP. Not buying this.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If this is a proper R&C, and not a spin off, then I'm all there.

I enjoyed FFA and All 4 One for what they were, but Going Commando and A Crack in Time are masterpieces. I'm still torn on which one I love more. Brilliant games.

I also like J&D, but I'm a bigger fan of Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank, especially R&C.

I feel the same way playing through the Ratchet Collection right now. I mean I would take the PS2 Ratchets any day of the week over Jak 2 and 3, but better than The Precursor Legacy? Nah not in my opinion anyways....

You see, I just don't get that. Yeah Jak 1 was a good game, but I really don't see how it beats out any of the Ratchet games. Ratchet 1 vs Jak 1 is debatable, but TPL really isn't strong enough to take on any of the others.

Yawnier

Banned
You see, I just don't get that. Yeah Jak 1 was a good game, but I really don't see how it beats out any of the Ratchet games. Ratchet 1 vs Jak 1 is debatable, but TPL really isn't strong enough to take on any of the others.

Opinions, opinions, opinions. TPL just has a charm to it that is very reminiscent of the PS1 platformers like Crash and Spyro and RARE platformers on the N64 that I always found the R&C games lack, although the R&C series definitely has always had the upper edge in humor and jokes and the such.

Gartooth

Hope it's a good, traditional R&C game. Haven't bought one since A Crack in Time (which I enjoyed immensely) due to not liking the demo for A4O (and bad reviews) as well as not enjoying the beta for FFA. (bad impressions for that one too)

Cautiously optimistic on this one, but Insomniac's output has not inspired confidence lately.

Opinions, opinions, opinions. TPL just has a charm to it that is very reminiscent of the PS1 platformers like Crash and Spyro and RARE platformers on the N64 that I always found the R&C games lack, although the R&C series definitely has always had the upper edge in humor and jokes and the such.

I don't see the point in pointing out how it's all an opinion. That's like reminding me that we breathe air, and that trees tend to be made of wood.

TPL had some good optimism to it, and I'll agree with that but I think that the Ratchet series had just as much charm (albeit a bit different) as Jak 1.

At the end of the day, a game can charm the pants off me.. but the gameplay is really what sets it apart, and that's where Ratchet really kicks Jak's ass.

velociraptor

Going Commando is definitely the best one so far. Jak 2 and 1 are amazing, but they just can't touch Going Commando.
Up Your Arsenal was also a fantastic game.

I haven't played the Jak games so I can't really comment on them, but the Ratchet games were among the gold-tier of PS2 games.

PS3 for sure, I'd say. Sony has always been pretty adamant about their whole "10 year plan" thing, even if it comes at the cost of slowing adoption of their next gen console as the older one receives new games.

I can still get lost in the huge seamless world of TPL, just roll jumping trough sentinel beach... with the relaxing music... jumping off the eco powered platforms... chasing seagulls... getting scared by the thumping sounds of the shark when i wonder too far off into the sea... you have much more freedom to fool around compared to the Ratchet games...

KalBalboa

Banned
I really dug FFA. I have a copy of ACiT I need to finally start once I finish Far Cry 3.

As for Jak, I absolutely love the first game and am about 2/3 through Jak II and appreciating it despite the steep difficulty.

Yawnier

Banned
I don't see the point in pointing out how it's all an opinion. That's like reminding me that we breathe air, and that trees tend to be made of wood.

TPL had some good optimism to it, and I'll agree with that but I think that the Ratchet series had just as much charm (albeit a bit different) as Jak 1.

At the end of the day, a game can charm the pants off me.. but the gameplay is really what sets it apart, and that's where Ratchet really kicks Jak's ass.

“You see, I just don't get that. ” Seems like you do need indeed a reminder of how it is all about opinions and subjectivity if you can not see why someone else besides yourself would prefer one game over another game.

Saying that the gameplay in Ratchet kicks the gameplay in J&D: TPL doesn't even make all that much sense its almost like comparing the taste of apples and oranges really. The first Jak game (TPL) and the Ratchet series really don't have all that much in common outside of a number of common mechanics found in most 3D platformers developed over the past 15 years anyways

One (R&C) is a game that heavily relies on exploring planets, collecting bolts and buying and using crazy and unique weapons and the other (J&D) relies on a few basic fighting moves for combat (without really any weapons in R&C of sorts) and is really a lot more of a collect-a-thon platformer compared to R&C since there are orbs and power cells to get and buy and much of the game is based heavily around.

There are gold and platinum bolts in the R&C games you could obviously say, but they are not necessarily there to advance the actual main story of the game usually unlike the collectibles in TPL.

joeblow

If it is a new Ratchet game, I have a request for Insomniac: please, please, PLEASE include a terrifically hard difficulty level for veterans to play from the get-go! I want to feel as if there is at least a chance that the enemies will overwhelm and kill me, even after I've powered up my weapons and armor. That is the biggest complaint I have regarding the mainline series. Kill me please?

Possum

If it is a new Ratchet game, I have a request for Insomniac: please, please, PLEASE include a terrifically hard difficulty level for veterans to play from the get-go! I want to feel as if there is at least a chance that the enemies will overwhelm and kill me, even after I've powered up my weapons and armor. That is the biggest complaint I have regarding the mainline series. Please?

YES, PLEASE.

• Easy
  • Normal
  • Hard
  • Blarged

Oneself

I hope it won't be a "rush job" like the latest Insomniac titles.
I also hope it won't try to be something other than a good old Ratchet game.
I also also hope it will be 1080p, 60fps.

I hope it won't be a "rush job" like the latest Insomniac titles.
I also hope it won't try to be something other than a good old Ratchet game.
I also also hope it will be 1080p, 60fps.

I don't think A4O was a "rush job." Just a game that focused on 4-player coop in a series that doesn't need that.

As for FFA, I agree. That one reeked of a side project, time-filler type of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom