• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeoPOT! PS3 hacker arrested for possession of Marijuana

Bukana

From Eurogamer:

George Hotz, aka Geohot, the man who hacked the PlayStation 3, has been arrested for possession of marijuana.

He was on his way to the SXSW conference in Austin when he was arrested by police in Sierra Blanca, Texas, AbovetheLaw.com reports.

22-year-old Geohot earned internet fame when he jailbroke the iPhone in 2008. He followed that up by collaborating with a hacker group to crack the PlayStation 3 wide open. Sony then hit the US courts before both parties settled.

He had been working with Google and, more recently with Facebook, before being cuffed by the police.

Hotz, apparently, holds a medical marijuana license in California, where he lives. In the glove box of his car he kept ¼ oz. of marijuana and chocolate edibles equivalent to less than 1/8 oz., a source familiar with the case told the website.

That was enough to set the sniffer dogs barking. Then, according to the report, there was some argument over the value of the drug in possession - the local sheriff apparently took the whole weight of the chocolate as the proper measure, valuing it at $800, instead of the $15 Hotz allegedly paid for it.

Hotz was booked for a felony and posted $1500 bail. He is yet to comment on the matter.

LOL

Darklord

Banned
the local sheriff apparently took the whole weight of the chocolate as the proper measure, valuing it at $800, instead of the $15 Hotz allegedly paid for it.

I don't give a shit about weed but man, what a fuckwit cop.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
First off, he is licensed in California, so it isn't exactly "illegal" pot. Also, the fact that the police officer is claiming the value on the weight of the chocolate instead of the drug might end up getting him off anyhow...

But you never know, US law is fucking retarded when it comes to drugs. You guys are so god damn ass backwards sometimes. Violence is okay but sex isn't, Marijuana is worse than stabbing someone, jesus christ...

Mmmhh chocolate, a little expensive to my taste! Is this some kind of drug jargon or did they really weigh a chocolate bar??

First off, he is licensed in California, so it isn't exactly "illegal" pot. Also, the fact that the police officer is claiming the value on the weight of the chocolate instead of the drug might end up getting him off anyhow...

But you never know, US law is fucking retarded when it comes to drugs. You guys are so god damn ass backwards sometimes. Violence is okay but sex isn't, Marijuana is worse than stabbing someone, jesus christ...

Probably best to just not talk about things you have no clue about.

demolitio

It's the same as any other law that is at the state level only. Kind of like the Marine who had a concealed handgun that was legal where he was from but got caught with it while in New York City. And I don't get how violence is allowed so that's quite the generalization...

I don't care about weed, just explaining why he can get charged and he damn well knew the law before going there. I just laugh at how feeds a stupid stereotype with this.

Slayven

It's cute you think one state's law mean shit to another state.

That won't mean anything to Texas. Obama doesn't respect California's medical law. No chance Texas of all states would do better. At best, I think geohot gets the charges dropped to a misdemeanor and avoids anymore jail time. A felony is a lot more serious. Yeah the laws are fucked up. Where I live, I think an ounce is considered a felony. That's roughly the equivalent to the amount of smoking tobacco that's in a pack of cigarettes.

Something like half of the US federal prison population got convicted of drug charges.

That was enough to set the sniffer dogs barking. Then, according to the report, there was some argument over the value of the drug in possession - the local sheriff apparently took the whole weight of the chocolate as the proper measure, valuing it at $800, instead of the $15 Hotz allegedly paid for it.
Great work, officer. Real knowledgeable.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That won't mean anything to Texas. Obama doesn't respect California's medical law. No chance Texas of all states would do better. At best, I think geohot gets the charges dropped to a misdemeanor and avoids anymore jail time. A felony is a lot more serious. Yeah the laws are fucked up. Where I live, I think an ounce is considered a felony. That's roughly the equivalent to the amount of smoking tobacco that's in a pack of cigarettes.

Something like half of the US federal prison population got convicted of drug charges.
He was picked up by local police in some Podunk town that was literally a dump, not by the feds. The fed doesn't give a damn about medicinal marijuana users, just the sellers.

demolitio

It doesn't mean anything to ANY state unless they have a similar law or allow California's license to carry over to their state which isn't going to happen. It has nothing to do with Texas and everything to do with each individual state on top of federal law. It's just like every other state law.

Texas isn't magically being unreasonable here just because they're Texas. They're being like every other state that doesn't allow medicinal marijuana and enforces their own state laws like they have a right to. California doesn't overrule everything...Like I said before, it's not like he didn't know this before doing so. I might not have a problem with it, but that doesn't mean he can blow off state laws without knowing the risk similar to the Marine in NYC.

Some cops, however, can be stupid no matter what state you're in. My state would know about that recently.

Hyuga

Banned
yeah, our bullshit drug war claims another victim, but it's cool cause he helped crack a sony product.

this thread, man.

8fs9ccmx.gif

antonz

Its California. They have so many loopholes in their medical Marijuana laws that they planned to fix after passing it but never did. Stub your toe and you can find a doctor to give you the license.

If anything California is everything thats wrong with the Medical Marijuana system.

°°ToMmY°°;36046543 said:
using them?

i mean, it's medical marijuana, if it's considered medication you'd want to have it always with you.

yeah and would you carry your 16 year old GF to Cali talking about how "she's legal in Georgia!" when the cops come?

jorma

is now taking requests
what if he bought it with money from his job?

omg

Never! He used his own money (if he had any) for the legal defense and spent the donated funds on drugs and luxurious vacations in south america! That's like fact, and stuff.

Top Bottom