• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I also noticed this but I wasn't sure if it was just me or not.

I just went back and checked, and in previous episodes:

The same basic synth-y noise is used when Lion is teleporting (in, say, "It Could've Been Great"), when the big diamond cataclysm happens in flashbacks ("Same Old World" and "Monster Reunion") and when Peridot uses the diamond communicator ("Message Received").

Could mean nothing! Could just be a particular style of effect being re-used. But it seems pretty specific.

shingi70

Banned
How old is amythest supposed to be? I was discussing it with a friend earlier and I just assumed that she was in show time around 26-27 years of age. I'm also a bit confused as to when exactly the war for the earth happened in relation to the rest of the series.

nded

How old is amythest supposed to be? I was discussing it with a friend earlier and I just assumed that she was in show time around 26-27 years of age. I'm also a bit confused as to when exactly the war for the earth happened in relation to the rest of the series.

She's a few thousand years old.

Toxi

Banned
The war for Earth was over 5000 years ago.

IIRC, Peridot said Amethyst emerged a few hundred years after the war.

She's about 5000-5250 years old, give or take. She emerged after the Gem War, which began 5750 years ago. In terms of her place within the CGs, I always thought of her as an older sister to Steven.

Blues1990

As far as family placement goes:

Garmet/Ruby & Sapphire - Cool Aunt(s)
Amethyst - Older Sister
Pearl - Mother-like figure
Lapis - Semi-estranged Middle Sister
Peridot - Dorky Younger Sister

Toxi

Banned
As far as family placement goes:

Garmet/Ruby & Sapphire - Cool Aunt(s)
Amethyst - Older Sister
Pearl - Mother-like figure
Lapis - Semi-estranged Middle Sister
Peridot - Dorky Younger Sister
Fusion Cuisine established the Crystal Gems are all Steven's mom though.

Fusion Cuisine established the Crystal Gems are all Steven's mom though.

"Parents...

caretakers?

Guardians."

I think Fusion Cuisine deliberately lampshades that the CGs don't have a relationship with Steven that can be explicitly defined through a single role like that.

Garnet's reaction over Steven and Amethyst's fusion was fucking perfect.

And Pearl was confirmed Dalek!

RCPX0um.gif

darklin0

Banned
I still don't get future vision. How can Garnet be surprised about Smokey? Shouldn't she have seen it coming?

She can't see the future in a sense. Just the branching paths created by action and inaction.

"I can see options and trajectories. Time is like a river that splits into creeks or pools into lakes or careens down waterfalls. I have the map, and I steer the ship."

I still don't get future vision. How can Garnet be surprised about Smokey? Shouldn't she have seen it coming?

She had to have been searching for it, I guess. Or maybe her future vision presented the possibility that Steven, Amethyst, and Peridot would encounter Jasper at the Beta Kindergarten, but that they would win. She did say "Peridot" when asked who beat Jasper, so maybe her future vision just told her that Peridot would get the kill/poof shot. Plus Peridot mentioned that she saved them from Jasper.

PSqueak

Banned
also the episode everything went weird.

Original Steven kills the original timeline and himself to make sure a different steven doesn't fuck up as hard as he did.

we have been watching a lie

Not exactly, the surviving "didn't fuck the time line" Steven is still the original Steven, because it's the Steven from a point before the timeline split, all other Stevens are off shoots of the Steven that still lives.

IronRinn

Finally all caught up. Back half of season 3 was a huge improvement, in my opinion. Has carried into season 4. Good stuff.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My brother just started watching the show and loves it. I'm surprised he actually really likes season 1 even.

You should have seen his face when Pearl got stabbed in the back by her own hologram and it looked like she died.

"Oh whoospie daisey. Steven it's going to be okay. I'm going to be just fine-" *poof*

Psxphile

PCyem39.png

Not exactly, the surviving "didn't fuck the time line" Steven is still the original Steven, because it's the Steven from a point before the timeline split, all other Stevens are off shoots of the Steven that still lives.

Exactly, they all jumped back to before any jumping began. The first "original" Steven became an alternate Steven at that point.

The real mystery is how original Steven knew about the extent of the time fuckery or even the concept of alternate timelines. Dat home schoolin'.

zulux21

you have issues about her not being surprised about smokey, but don't have issues that she didn't realize a world ending event like the cluster was coming before peridot told them :p?

Mostly I figure she has to actively be trying to scan her vision for something and even then she only gets an idea of what is going to happen, as the future isn't set in stone.

she can protect steven so much because she likely dedicates most of her free thoughts into scanning to make sure steven is safe. but other events skip past her because she isn't trying to sort out the river of different outcomes.

PSqueak

Banned

Think of this, you're going to visit the grand canyon.
You know what the grand canyon looks like, you have seen it in photos.
Then you arrive at the Grand Canyon, and it fucking blows your mind with it's majestic beauty.

Reivaxe

I think RS explained Future Vision well enuff in one of the things she recently stated.

Sapphire and Garnet both have FV but it works differently for both.
Sapphire can see what's going to happen if she does absolutely nothing and is as Passive as possible. Garnet's FV shows her possible futures depending on the choices and actions SHE makes. So it's not fool proof or anything. I mean, it really does sound like exactly what Steven did when she gave him her power, you see possible futures for the actions you take.

Toxi

Banned
I've bought all the pops and a ton of the mystery minis so far. I'm waiting for pops of Lapis and Peridot.
The Mystery Minis are the nicest looking ones by far despite the lack of Pearl nose.

The Pearl POP gives me nightmares. Those blank staring eyes and that horrible bottomless void of a mouth...

Steven3.jpg

The Mystery Minis are the nicest looking ones by far despite the lack of Pearl nose.

The Pearl POP gives me nightmares. Those blank staring eyes and that horrible bottomless void of a mouth...

Steven3.jpg

As far as Funko Pops go, the mouth is the biggest weak spot, although they could have done better with the eyes.

Geist-

Steven3.jpg
I think I'll stick to mystery minis. :-/

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Steven Universe Pint Sized Heroes announced for October

Guess the Funko POPs and Mystery Minis are selling well.
Some of them look cute, some of them ehh, some kind of weird.

For some reason really like Watermelon Steven, Lion, and Jasper. Amethyst and Rose also look cute.

Greg looks... weird, but I don't know how else they'd takle him with that style.

Onion is.... huh.

Lapis looks weird, and why isn't she wearing pants?

Toad.T

Banned
I'd buy the Mystery Mini's if I could find them locally. All i've seen are the Pop figures.

Does someone have a reliable webstore to buy them from (i.e, no used eBay sellers)

Weiss

Banned
I got some of the mystery minis. It felt like I was taking drugs.

I ended up getting Greg, Lapis, Classic Pearl, Lion and Rose, though. Apparently Greg sells for a decent amount online so that's pretty cool.

Sponge

Banned

Pearl's is definitely the worst of the bunch, but I still love collecting pops so I had to get her. The minis are pretty cool though.

I think I like Garnets and Amethysts pops the best out of the four.

63fe1fda917c941d7d84bc4c06223f38.png

I haven't gotten the POPs just because the eyes freak me out. Pearl and Steven....brrr.

The Funko mystery minis mostly look okay, but noseless Pearl is just...weird. Her nose is too much a part of her design to just omit it altogether.

The Original Minis look pretty good, though. I just wish they had the range of characters that the Mystery Minis do.

12935105_487877508063725_441460293_n.jpg

There still isn't near enough SU merch for my liking. It should be AT levels.

Agreed. I need actual Crystal Gem action figures. They're even more suited for them than Adventure Time figures with how many characters can come with their own weapons or different forms.

At the end of the day though, I just don't think it's as huge as Adventure Time was at its peak. It's not big enough to get its own little section in the toy aisle. So all we get are some blindbag/box minis and FunkoPops (the latter of which I still haven't seen in the wild).

I'd still figuratively kill a man for some SU FiguArts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom