• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Some Prey screens from the demo

amarectv2017-04-2715-zqucr.png

amarectv2017-04-2716-rautg.png

amarectv2017-04-2716-yeu1u.png

amarectv2017-04-2716-tyu8l.png

amarectv2017-04-2716-joubg.png

amarectv2017-04-2716-kwuzq.png

febLey

Man I'm getting a PS4 Pro tomorrow, because of the GameStop promotion and I'm not sure if I should keep it. Mainly I wanted to get rid of my white base PS4, because it kept ejecting discs.

The Pro looks really ugly, it's bigger and heavier than the Base PS4, most of the improvements are negligible for 1080p TV owners like me, Boost Mode seems not to be worth it, some games even run worse on the Pro, it consumes a lot more energy than the slim and it's seems to be even louder than the base PS4.

I'm thinking about selling the Pro unopened and getting a slim, but I have the feeling that this is dumb. What do you think? :|

Send help!

5taquitos

Man I'm getting a PS4 Pro tomorrow, because of the GameStop promotion and I'm not sure if I should keep it. Mainly I wanted to get rid of my white base PS4, because it kept ejecting discs.

The Pro looks really ugly, it's bigger and heavier than the Base PS4, most of the improvements are negligible for 1080p TV owners like me, Boost Mode seems not to be worth it, it consumes a lot more energy than the slim and it's seems to be even louder than the base PS4.

I'm thinking about selling the Pro unopened and getting a slim, or do you think this is just dumb? :|

Send help!
In my personal opinion as a 1080p owner, the improvements were far greater than "negligible." Whether it was noticeably increased fidelity or significant frame boosts, lots of my favorite games became much more cohesive, for lack of a better term.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.

The Pro looks really ugly, it's bigger and heavier than the Base PS4, most of the improvements are negligible for 1080p TV owners like me, Boost Mode seems not to be worth it, some games even run worse on the Pro, it consumes a lot more energy than the slim and it's seems to be even louder than the base PS4.

I'm thinking about selling the Pro unopened and getting a slim, or do you think this is just dumb? :|

Send help!
I think is dumb. For 1080p, you get downsample with various games and boost mode smooth a lot of games out.
And if you buy a 4k tv in the future, you are already set.

guyssorry

I'm thinking about selling the Pro unopened and getting a slim, but I have the feeling that this is dumb. What do you think? :|

Send help!

Just wondering, what is the GameStop promotion?

febLey

Thank you for the answers GAF. I'll think about it until tomorrow :)

Just wondering, what is the GameStop promotion?
We had a GameStop promotion here in Germany where you could trade in your Base PS4 + 2 Games + 99 Euros and get a Pro, for me it was a pretty good deal.

guyssorry

Thank you for the answers GAF. I'll think about it until tomorrow :)

We had a GameStop promotion here in Germany where you could trade in your Base PS4 + 2 Games + 99 Euros and get a Pro, for me it was a pretty good deal.

That is a pretty great deal. Too bad I live in the US haha. Thanks for informing me!

Send help!

You could save the money and get a slim for the time being. Maybe the Pro will have a redesign at some point. Even if it doesn't, I assume all those Pro benefits will make it to the PS5. It will give you an excuse to replay those games.

philm87

Send help!

Go for Pro! Games don't run worse at 1080p, you'll get much better performance overall, and a much better picture from games that are supersampled down to 1080p. There are one or two that run worse, but that's just when they're at 4k like Skyrim, and even that isn't too bad (plus looks beautiful).

OsirisBlack

Banned
It was confirmed in the live letter XXXV for FFXIV that the game will have pro support when stormblood launches. Two modes,both have better graphics but the lower resolution mode is supposed to be 60 fps locked. The higher resolution mode has higher settings but runs at the current frame rate. Both are supposed to allow more objects on screen.

Oneself

I know hardly anybody plays it (but I love it!) but has anybody had problems with Dangerous Golf mode crashing with boost mode on or off? I have boost mode on and it keeps crashing after a round - and I keep forgetting to turn boost off before I play to check if it's an issue.
Nothing to report here, it works fine on mine. Try to uninstall and reinstall the game.

mileS

It was confirmed in the live letter XXXV for FFXIV that the game will have pro support when stormblood launches. Two modes,both have better graphics but the lower resolution mode is supposed to be 60 fps locked. The higher resolution mode has higher settings but runs at the current frame rate. Both are supposed to allow more objects on screen.
Thank you for this. Now I need to figure out how to transfer my pc account (that already has hw) to ps4. Pc could handle parts of it half decent 30-45fps. Sometimes lower. I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to keep those numbers with stormblood.

Thank you for this. Now I need to figure out how to transfer my pc account (that already has hw) to ps4. Pc could handle parts of it half decent 30-45fps. Sometimes lower. I have a feeling I wouldn't be able to keep those numbers with stormblood.
You need to buy a new Ff14 for the ps4 and activate the ps4 game code in to your mogry-station, doing this you will migrate the both games into your account, and you will just need to pay one subscription for the game.

philm87

Demo is jagged as hell. IQ is not good.

I think the game is not downsampled for 1080p users.

Not sure if there's much of a resolution boost if any from playing on a 4k tv on Pro. Maybe the demo doesn't have Pro features, or maybe cos I've been playing full 4k res games. Some of the textures look a bit low res.

Seems cool though, like a cross between Half-Life, Dishonored, and Bioshock.

Theonik

Send help!
With the Pro as a 1080p owner you will either get substantial improvement in performance or in visual fidelity and anywhere in between with some getting combined benefits.

There is no way you will get neither.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Any words on Little Nightmares supersampling?

There isn't an official confirmation yet.
Playing it right now. Game is very dark and low contrast so it's tough to tell but I'll post some screens later if anyone wants to try to count it. It at least runs at 1080/60 versus 1080/30 on the base PS4 and the UE4 temporal AA is in effect so there's pretty much no aliasing.

Fergie

Banned
Horizon looks incredible and so does Uncharted 4. Only games I've been impressed with since getting a 4K setup and Pro recently. HDR works well.

Hopefully we'll see more games at least have these extra functionalities.

Toe-Knee

Horizon looks incredible and so does Uncharted 4. Only games I've been impressed with since getting a 4K setup and Pro recently. HDR works well.

You will probably laugh but home front the revolution looks amazing with the pro patch and hdr

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm thinking Little Nightmares doesn't downsample, it's got a soft look that most UE4 games at 1080p have due to the temporal AA solution, but it holds 60fps really well. I know some will be disappointed at no option but doubling the framerate over the base PS4, and having such a good AA solution, is a really nice improvement.

philm87

Fifa and Battlefield 1 are both good upgrades on Pro. Others are Ratchet and Clank, Infamous, Skyrim. Even rocket league looks pretty awesome in 4k.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Started noticing some occasional small frame drops in Little Nightmares at 1080p so maybe it isn't just rendering at 1080p. I really can't tell so here's some screens in case anyone wants to try pixel counting it. Good luck. UE4 temporal AA, heavy chromatic aberration, and very low contrast will make this one tough. I tried to at least get a few shots that have extended lines and some contrast in them.

34195920432_06cf6189e0_o.png

33970150350_37dd05cf95_o.png

34195917582_081d7f6b36_o.png

Fergie

Banned
You played Titanfall 2?
Been meaning to buy it, maybe I will soon.
You will probably laugh but home front the revolution looks amazing with the pro patch and hdr
Amazing. Might double dip if it's cheap enough.
Fifa and Battlefield 1 are both good upgrades on Pro. Others are Ratchet and Clank, Infamous, Skyrim. Even rocket league looks pretty awesome in 4k.
Forgot about RL, it's very solid in 4K.
Thanks for reminding me about Ratchet. Will buy it next week.

Jedi2016

Good luck. UE4 temporal AA, heavy chromatic aberration, and very low contrast will make this one tough. I tried to at least get a few shots that have extended lines and some contrast in them.
That's one thing I've already noticed now that I've got a new TV and all. While I can see that games look a little sharper, I'm honestly not seeing a huge jump. Maybe also because most of them aren't rendering native, so you don't get that pixel-perfect sharpness that was there on my old 1080p screen.

Howdy, everybody. Sorry for my long time away from the thread. I must admit that it's partially because updating it has become, well, boring. The most interesting parts of my work here are when investigating screenshots and footage to analyze what's going on with them. Unfortunately, now that Pro has become something of a status quo, not many comparisons are being posted. The usual console tech sources still exist, of course, but even combined they don't even approach full coverage of all released games with potential Pro patching. And most Pro owners are happily playing games, not dissecting them (for which they can't be faulted).

As I have regularly, I'll ask that anyone who'd like to post their own screenshots, videos, or impressions here is more than welcome. This is especially true if you have any of the games listed in Table 3 of the OP. I'd be happy to do analysis on whatever we can get to fill in gaps and correct issues. Thanks in advance!

I've added 4 official games, 2 VR games, and 4 Boost Mode games to the OP, bringing the total above 300 titles for the first time. I also added Stable mode to Final Fantasy XV, and revised the details on several PS2-on-PS4 games for Boost Mode. Let me know if there's anything I've missed or made an error on.

Yeah, they gave the same sort of response to someone else https://twitter.com/gossiptime_206/status/854970248335839232 I guess we'll have boost mode to smooth things out
From my research, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 doesn't seem to have official Pro support. Resolution is steady, no effects are changed, and framerate goes up when Boost Mode is on. That last point should be a clincher, but I was not comparing identical play, so I can't be 100% certain that the improvement isn't just due to different stuff onscreen at different times. In any case, if there is official Pro support, all it seems to do is help the framerate (which still remains quite unsteady).

Demo is jagged as hell. IQ is not good.

I think the game is not downsampled for 1080p users.
The Prey demo is definitely not downsampling, it's native 1080p. Further details are hard to discern from the shots in this thread due to the idiosyncrasies of Omegabalmung9's capture card.

Any words on Little Nightmares supersampling?

There isn't an official confirmation yet.
I'm thinking Little Nightmares doesn't downsample, it's got a soft look that most UE4 games at 1080p have due to the temporal AA solution, but it holds 60fps really well. I know some will be disappointed at no option but doubling the framerate over the base PS4, and having such a good AA solution, is a really nice improvement.
Thanks for the info! I've got it as default downsampling, but would like to know for sure (alongside the other settings). The shots you've already posted show either very strong AA of another kind, or downsampling. Can you post some 4K screenshots with Pro set to 2160p and 1080p? (Especially from the beginning, since I can probably find standard PS4 screens from that area too.) Having the larger size screens--even when output is 1080p--allows some extra kinds of testing.

Thanks to everyone who contributes!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thanks for the info! I've got it as default downsampling, but would like to know for sure (alongside the other settings). The shots you've already posted show either very strong AA of another kind, or downsampling. Can you post some 4K screenshots with Pro set to 2160p and 1080p? (Especially from the beginning, since I can probably find standard PS4 screens from that area too.) Having the larger size screens--even when output is 1080p--allows some extra kinds of testing.

Thanks to everyone who contributes!

Unfortunately I do not have access to a 4k TV at the time so I can't. Hopefully someone else can.

So What Remains of Edith Finch, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3, Syberia 3 all got released after the date of September 2016 which mandates supporting PS4 Pro with every game releasing after that date. Yet none of those games have any kind of PS4 PRO support?
This is really weird. I don't think supporting PS4 PRO for those games (at least bumping the resolution) would take so much time or effort.

And Outlast 2 has two modes to choose from on PS4 PRO? One 1080p with better graphics and one dynamic 1440p mode?

Top Bottom