• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

Utilize RTINGS for tv review. They review different categories i.e. movies and tv, gaming, sports, living room, sound, etc.

Yep, and the mentality keeps spreading. It's pretty much PS4.5 or PS Neo but not PS4k. We barely have $1000 video cards pushing 4k30fps and people think a $500 console is drive 4k res.

since it will be a 4k blu ray player and streaming device

Why would you get a 40 inch 4K screen tho.

It'd be next to impossible to see any kind of difference. You really need a bigger screen to take make the most of any perceptible advantage.

The difference is easily perceptible on a 5 inch phone screen so uh, no.

Vire

I would love to watch Netflix at 4K. House of Cards must be amazing at 4K.

Sadly we are going towards dark times in my country.... here in Brazil companies are creating boundaries for those who play video games and streaming content.

So... they want to charge taxes for those who play online and watch Netflix.
To be honest, don't feel so bad. Streamed 4K on Netflix isn't anywhere near the fidelity as an Ultra HD Blu Ray disc. The compression makes it so that it isn't much better than a standard Blu Ray.

Caayn

I suggest that you ask the same question in this thread: Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

And if you do decide to go for a Philips, go for one with Ambilight. It has a big impact on the viewing experience.
wp_20151024_00147uge.jpg

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Can the ps4k play HD blu rays?

If you mean UHD Blu Rays, it's not confirmed. I'd be shocked if it didn't though.

I suggest that you ask the same question in this thread: Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

And if you do decide to go for a Philips, go for one with Ambilight. It has a big impact on the viewing experience.

I know some people love this feature, but personally I can't stand it. I need complete darkness during a movie and I find the light distracting.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This reminds me of back in the day when people said you would need TV or Monitor 30+ inches to tell what 1080p was.

Back in the day? I believe these oxygen thiefs were spouting this shite in 2013

3o85xH8F9aaPCFrOes.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just curious, OP--Why not wait until the PS4K releases, or at least until Black Friday? There are bound to be better prices 8 months down the line.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
JebaćBiedę;201469222 said:
Does 1080p on 4k look as bad as 720p on 1080p?

TBF the OP said 'content', and not games specifically.

It depends on how good the TV is at upscaling. I chose mine specifically for this feature, 1080p looks amazing when upscaled on my screen.

Yep. Went with a Sony because I got a damn good deal on it, and that based X1 scaler pretty much looks native in crispness. I was on the fence until seeing the PS4 in action due to the past with scaling. And that nice 4K pixel density... so good. Being exactly double width and height helps scaling tremendously. I was impressed with even the PS3 on it. Looked better than 720p on my 1080p monitor I had before.

Netflix 4K streaming looks so remarkable. Even 1080p content from Blu-ray (The Force Awakens) looks remarkable... but 4K is a whole new level of clarity. Make-up artists need to be on their A-game in hollywood now, since they do not have lower resolution to hide imperfections. Bad make-up and props now stick out like a sore thumb, lol.

FinKL

Utilize RTINGS for tv review. They review different categories i.e. movies and tv, gaming, sports, living room, sound, etc.

since it will be a 4k blu ray player and streaming device

4k Blu Ray player, I can see, is a system seller. I remember buying the PS2 as a DVD player lol

Vire

I was thinking about the KS9500 Samsung that just came out, but Edge Light display is absolutely ridiculous for 2016.

Similarly the LG OLEDs are very nice but the upscaler in them are apparently terrible.

Seems like the kinks still aren't worked out on a lot of these. (Unless you want to pay huge bucks)

Shauni

4k Blu Ray player, I can see, is a system seller. I remember buying the PS2 as a DVD player lol

It's a very different media environment than the PS2 days. I would argue that even Blu-ray itself wasn't that huge of a system seller for the PS3.

They don't support the standards, basically.

Although their TVs do support HDR and a lot of the standards already.

From what I heard, they actually don't meet the spec. It's not just that they don't support the group.

Edit:

Here's Raistlin's take on it:

As far as the new Vizio's, that's an interesting case. They are currently in the process of arguing with the UHD Alliance to get the requirements changed for 'Premium' designation. Caayn listed the following as one of its criteria:
Capable of producing a peak brightness of 1000nits and a black level of 0.05nits or peak brightness of 540nits and a black level of 0.0005
... and that's not exactly true. The peak brightness is not for the whole screen. It's based on measuring a portion of the screen, and the portion is actually different for LCD and OLED. OLED needs to do it with a smaller percentage ... LCD is given a bit of a waiver and can use a larger size to compensate for how their back lights work. I'd have to check what the approximate screen size percentages are (note: that OLED uses a smaller percentage is actually better in terms of image quality).

The thing with the new Vizio's is that actually do hit 1000nits when talking about a full screen. However they cannot hit it at the smaller percentage as required by the spec. That's what they're trying to argue with the UHD Alliance. They want it to be exactly like Caayn's quote.

I personally hope Vizio does not get the okay. Full screen brightness is not the point of HDR. Being able to do really bright specular highlights on a smaller portion of the screen is the intent and more important for actual image quality. THX certification used to mean something, but then they watered it down with tons of different tiers and exemptions. I'd hate to see the UHD Premium certification (which is a great boon to the industry and consumers) start to get watered down ... especially so early in its usage.

Markitron

4K media content confirmed for this?

Tbf, nothing is confirmed yet. Although the latest leaks made no mention of it, like I said I'd be shocked if it didn't.

No cares about blu rays.

Speak for yourself. I don't think it will be the defining feature of the console but it would make plenty of people interested, especially as their is almost no competition right now. Samsungs UHD player is shit (and $400 by itself) and Panasonics player wont be out till later in the year and has a ridiculous £600 price tag. A $400 console that can play UHDs will make a lot of people sit up and take notice.

Oersted

It's a very different media environment than the PS2 days. I would argue that even Blu-ray itself wasn't that huge of a system seller for the PS3.

Yeah, the transition still hasn't been fully done. Especially when you look for stuff like Collectors Editions.

c0de

I read several reviews that Sony tv's aren't that good especially because of the software. Android tv seems to run like shit and the whole interface feels sluggish according to reviews.
What I would want is a

- true 200 hz panel
- non curved
- hdr compatible

I don't even know if there are already 200 hz 4k panels available though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
My next flat will have a Sony 85" 4K TV installed when I move in around September, and guest room and snug will have smaller Sony 4K TVs. My body is ready.

Grief.exe

4K TV seems like a bad investment for console gaming unless you are also looking forward to 4K media.

The problem is, upscaling 1080p content to 4K not only looks terrible, but it introduces a massive amount of input lag on the order of 30-50 ms.

Just a heads up, PS4K will actually not support 4K gaming unless it is comprised of 2D pixel art.

thelastword

Banned
Get a Vizio, they have really stepped their game up with screen technology. They were always reliable and good TV's but their parts and picture quality have received a big boost in recent years, especially their latest products

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Sony TVs seem pretty terrible to be in terms of bang for buck.

And they switched to Active 3D which is an abomination that should never be viewed by mankind. Most people don't care about 3D, but if you do I'd suggest this TV.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55UH8500-4k-uhd-tv

Passive 3D, 4K, HDR and 30ms or so input latency. For those not interested in 3D, the Vizio P Series mentioned earlier is great for gaming at 17ms input latency + HDR.

nib95

Banned
Don't bother with a 4K set if you're going for one the 40" range, unless you're going to be using it as a monitor, sitting real close and need the full resolution for desktop PC/Laptop purposes. That said, I'd wait until the new console is actually out first....

Top Bottom