• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris |OT| Imperium Universalis

Gr8one

I can't wait. I have been waiting for a game like this since MOO & MOO2 back in the 90s. There hasn't been a space 4X that has scratched that inch the same way. I haven't seen anything in any of the LP's I've followed showing off the grand strategy end game. I'm looking forward to seeing how that will be implemented.

Hopefully with a healthy modding scene and some kickass DLC expansions this game will sit next to the Simtex classics in the upper echelon of 4X Strategy. It's looking phenomenal already!

Awesome OT!

For those new to Paradox games and find them daunting, I can't stress enough about *playing* the game. Over the years I've seen newcomers to their games fret too much about reading/watching tutorials before they play but there is so much to learn by just playing the game, the tooltips in the game explain a lot on its own to get a basic grasp. If you find it difficult, let tutorials supplement the game, don't exclusively watch them until you *understand* and then only play the game.

Stellaris is supposed to have a better tutorial than ever before, and Paradox says it's easier for newcomers to get into so it shouldn't be too hard to get a grasp on it. Nonetheless, this game is going to grow in depth very quickly if previous Paradox games are to be judged via frequent patches + expansions, they are supported for a long time.

Oh man, it's releasing 12 hours earlier than I was thinking. My time conversion was all kinds of off.

Second one is Star Trek? The first and third are drawing blanks for me. (My sci-fi knowledge is but a speck of the vast nothingness.)
First is from Interstellar
Second is from Star Trek
Third is from The Forever War

Cocaloch

I'm glad Mercedes Romero, the true protagonist of Stellaris, made it into the OT, though I am somewhat sad the title isn't Make Space Great Again.

noise36

Comes out Tuesday morning in Australia...not ideal, but should be able to get in some game time later in the week.

Anno

Great OT! I forgot just how good that Vast Unknown trailer is. Now to struggle through in-law socializing and a bit of work tomorrow morning before my reign of space terror begins.

The one space game to rule them all. I'm kinda curious if there's anyone out there that can resist the pitch of Stellaris. Like, personally, it's the space game I've always dreamed of ever since played my first space 4x so long ago... Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain.

Space 4Xes are always about possibilities to me, and Stellaris, by all accounts, intends to deliver on this front.
First is from Interstellar
Second is from Star Trek
Third is from The Forever War

I see I need to catch up on my pop culture.
Both the Nova/Galaxy exclusive and the five pre-order portraits are shown in that gallery.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

The one space game to rule them all. I'm kinda curious if there's anyone out there that can resist the pitch of Stellaris. Like, personally, it's the space game I've always dreamed of ever since played my first space 4x so long ago... Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain.

Space 4Xes are always about possibilities to me, and Stellaris, by all accounts, intends to deliver on this front.
I was in as soon as I learned the game would have uplifting. Like that's how you know the devs really care about science fiction

Hasney

After seeing the Giant Bomb Quick Look, I pre-ordered that second. This looks amazing.

I guess there's no VPN schenanigans to play this now, is there?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
i am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hyped for this game

really sad i missed out on some dlc because of their flash game a few months back though, that upsets me lol

KiraFA37

Bought it yesterday, decided I couldn't wait anymore after watching all the streamers play. Was going to buy it after they fixed all the release bugs but it just looks so do damn fun. Talking about "bugs" aka features, I might have to start with a slave empire first since apparently all slaves are happy and don't rebel.

Bought it yesterday, decided I couldn't wait anymore after watching all the streamers play. Was going to buy it after they fixed all the release bugs but it just looks so do damn fun. Talking about "bugs" aka features, I might have to start with a slave empire first since apparently all slaves are happy and don't rebel.

Do your part. Squash the bugs.
Embrace fanatical xenophobia.
xYzXkKe.png

No slave revolts will be weird, I hope they can figure it out soon. I want my fanatical collectivist empire to implode under its own weight.

Do your part. Squash the bugs.
Embrace fanatical xenophobia.
xYzXkKe.png

No slave revolts will be weird, I hope they can figure it out soon. I want my fanatical collectivist empire to implode under its own weight.

The only good bug is a dead bug.

Definitely going to postpone my slavery empire until they work it out. The Culture-ish empire for my first playthrough it is then.

DBT85

Here is the name list of everyone that posted in the other thread, should you wish to use those GAF names in your game!

Poodlestrike, bjaelke, Octavianus, Chariot, Lister, LurkerPrime, Red Arremer, Steel, Human_me, mcz117chief, Anno, Cameron122, hobblygobbly, Nzyme32, Lashley, infi, CarbonatedFalcon, Aaron D., Aselith, More_Badass, ThoseDeafMutes, RedSparrows, spiritfox, Sickboy007, belushy, eschiver, Basileus777, Orgun, fanboi, One Foul Note, Kabouter, RulkezX, StereoVsn, LightInfa, ZZMitch, motorised mallard, Aiii, John Dunbar, Sir Fragula, danthefan, Impulsor, ClosingADoor, Slayven, exmachina64, piratepwnsninja, Forerunner, DBT85, Mugen08, Dennis, DiscoShark, Nokterian, Quixzlizx, epmode, Thraktor, Keasar, GRaider81, Duffman, Karak, Kvik, Rosur, Tenebrous, Cocaloch, Sinatar, lukeskymac, eznark, Woorloog, Tworak, Labrynian Rebel, Maledict, tmespe, Spirited, eyeball_kid, Raxious, HK-47, Mr. Luchador, Reishiki, Raticus79, Kiyoshi, megalowho, Shaldome, ExVicis, Robottiimu2000, SmiteOfHand, Mindlog, Nete, diamount, Baron von Loathsome, Calabi, Xando, johancruijff, Uzzy, FiraB, Brohan, Arulan, KingSnake, ShogunDarius, saunderez, TheTrain, Mgoblue201, -tetsuo-, Lach, DirtyCase, Elandyll, Wes, superdeluxe, Lingitiz, XiaNaphryz, Mercador, Carcetti, Mikeside, Jisgsaw, Omega Kirby, Hystzen, SparkTR, Frozenprince, Souless Squirrel, CzarTim, CloudWolf, Fishook, dude, Almighty, Caronte, Gothos, cyress8, MrCompletely, karnage10, a3den, Royal_Phalanx, Fantastapotamus, PayOffWizard, HariKari, deadfolk, Facism, Tarnpanzer, jtb, arbok26, von Stroheim, Aztechnology, Toma, Sarek, Sorcerer, Snakethesniper, Serrato, AJLma, Skyward Sheep, DMTripper, GrandHarrier, pigeon, JoeyJungle, jman2050, Geist-, JustSomeone, Lyonaz, PastorOfMuppets, PdotMichael, doctorcdcs, Remmy2112, Sephiroth_VII, komplanen, Jigorath, Nakho, Furoba, Llyranor, TheChewyWaffles, razgriz417, Duebrithil, GECK, Lord Panda, publicpwnerer, nitoo, deoee, ShemhazaiX, Spirit of Jazz, bonesmccoy, CosmicQueso, sheamus, Eduardboon, KarneeKarnay, Dhruv_hanom, BleedOrange, Ragnar, Blackmane, Vincent Alexander, Trickster, LuffyZoro, Zeknurn, Tommyhawk, Fragamemnon, Haly, Rodin, br0ken_shad0w, Turin Turambar, Trigger, Ludovico, Shengar, 5taquitos, Brokun, J Jizzle, VulpX, jackissocool, Shifty Capone1, Dina, Rentahamster, Ozium, Panda Rin, Mecha, DavionStriker, Baron_Calamity, ShinNatsume, Vlodril, Xane, FlyingSaucer, Sioen, Granadier, TheGeordie, pixelpatch, SourBear, Vital Tundra, Quasar, Aon, Gotchaye, WreckTheLaw, noise36, Staab, KingK, QaaQer, Vaddon, ricochetguro, slabrock, Fedelias, Emulated Hype, RossGeller, Enkidu, AsfaeksBR, Makikou, RelaxedOtter, Dragokiller, zonezeus, rainz, Pinko Marx, Mister_Bubbles, Got the Shakes, AntiFacebook, Noaloha, Fergie, Skinpop, theJohann, EdwardTeach, ghostjoke, Joseph Merrick, RayStorm, zoku88, klonere, Chips Fission, Kurtofan, mnannola, Happy-Bunny, krpiper, questionmark, Birathen, ashecitism, reckless, Digby, golem, Wulfram, DOBERMAN INC, ~Kinggi~, kittoo, grumble, Volodja, ACE 1991, Hanzou, M.D, Anbokr, Famassu, gazele, Camp Freddie, EMT0, Norik, Saganator, AcademicSaucer, ultratruman, The Llama, Morat, ShaD321, +Aliken+, Erheller, Chairman Yang, Flambe, Winterblink, Phionoxx, Nezzhil, RealMeat, sersteven, Drazgul, oipic, ghostlight_ross, Fine Ham Abounds, Niahak, Mudcrab, Ruruja, Gattsu25, ilium, Helznicht, m_dorian, ParityClaws, Maxios, Durante, Generalpsyduck, varkuriru, ScipiosDefence, Erico, Hari Seldon, HundredEyeMonk, KPJZKC, Jhriad, KorrZ, Setre, alexandros, irfaanator, The Dear Leader, Serick, HalfwayOrb, Tekomandor, Any Questions, Iced_Eagle, perturbator, Zader, Myzer, Corto, Flare, The Technomancer, CrazedProfessional, jajas2, schnarf, Caayn, MonorailCat, NandyRewman, Armaros, sturgboski, commish, Ucchedavāda, Insane Metal, nilay, Aegus, Tecnniqe, ChaosSmurf, BajiBoxer, Alex Connolly, Sir_Crocodile, Lactose_Intolerant, kami_sama, Calvero, iosefe, Maintenance, LexW, ferrasvansen, speedpop, Funyarinpa

DBT85

Is it too soon to be excited for DLC? I'm salivating at the thought of events for this game more so than the rest of their other ones combined.

Not played Paradox game like this before so not sure what will come with DLC.

I'm most excited about a proper Star Trek mod though. Like. It could be incomprehensibly incredible. Birth of the Federation for 2016.

bjaelke

Does the slavery issue pertain to AI/Synthetic slaves too? Or do they have their own unique revolt functions?
semi-spoiler
"Certain technologies can be especially dangerous, and they are marked as such in the technology screen when you find them. So it's fine to have, like, toaster-level robotic workers that are not very efficient, but the final tier to AI research makes them better than your normal [population] and smarter and so on, and we all know what happens when you do that, right?

"So, there is a risk that somewhere in the galaxy where someone has done this, there will be a robot revolt and that would be a massive uprising by all robots in the galaxy. And if you can't suppress that, it can easily snowball and go out of control. So the mechanical civilization will wipe out all organic life."

I asked if even the toaster-level robots Fåhraeus mentioned will join the uprising, and was told: maybe. "There is a chance they will. But mainly the ones that are replicants, highest level robots."

The robot uprising sounds more complicated than there simply being a massive army of synthetics trying to wipe out all life. It becomes clear that the head robot didn't just crank the revolt setting up to high and hope for the best. "They will get a hidden home system that you cannot see on the map," said Fåhraeus. "The backstory you are given is basically that they have been planning this for a while, and they've built up a base in a hidden system and you have to trace them back there and destroy their kind of core world to end the revolt forever." And while some conflicts in Stellaris will be able to be resolved peacefully through diplomacy, the solution to the robot problem lies only in military action.

Very excited for this!

Wasn't a huge fan of CK2, but always loved the idea of it. Very much hoping the Stellaris tutorial is better, and I'm already a bigger fan of Stellaris due to the sci-fi setting.

Orgun

Is it too soon to be excited for DLC? I'm salivating at the thought of events for this game more so than the rest of their other ones combined.

Hell nah, the way Paradox support their games is fantastic. I cannot wait to see what kind of DLC they are goign to come up with.

I did pretty much nothing yesterday but watch Stellaris content. Quills stream, Giantbombs quick look and then more of quills LPs. @_@

Kvik

My tendrils are quivering in excitement.

bUBzx.gif

I've been watching Quill's Let's Play series, and I'm absolutely certain I will need to have a notepad handy to keep track of my to-do list, since they are a LOT of stuff to keep track of. Also there is a web browser in-game, looks like?

Nosgoroth

Oh hey, this sounds exactly like my kind of thing, and it runs on Mac, but I don't think I've ever played grand strategy. Let's hit the let's plays then!

Top Bottom