• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Emulator RPCS3 Can Now Play Demon's Souls on PC

lutheran

Skimmed through and some framerate issues at parts, but it's looking pretty good.

PS Now seems like a better choice for now though.

I wonder if Sony will reconsider the cost of PS Now being that Microsoft is offering a similar yet cheaper alternative but with full downloads and no streaming (which will obviously be a way better experience)

In theory, yes. In actuality, nobody will be able to answer that until they try.

Just look at the original Xbox, it's the first (?) x86 console, and despite the constant "it's basically just a PC" and the fact that it was x86, it's pretty much the only major console we can't emulate yet. Other things like complexity/obscurity and lack of documentation are hugely limiting factors in emulation, even when based on the architecture you might initially think it's simple.

Are these hurdles that you could just throw money at? With the recent surge in Patreon backers for Cemu, and the growing interest in PS3 emulation, it just makes me wonder if there would be a market for one. I know I'd be tempted if I could play Bloodborne 2 (or whatever) around release day on my PC.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
daaamn. i really want to play this game. i was gonna buy a PS3 the other day just to play it. it's the only soulsborne i haven't played.
Skimmed through and some framerate issues at parts, but it's looking pretty good.

PS Now seems like a better choice for now though.

it's on PS Now?

Rellik

Yeah, it's called supporting the work of developers who create games that you enjoy, not just supporting developers who make emulators. If you don't see how emulation hurts the game industry as a whole, you're just being short sighted.

And for those of us who are hoping for a Demon's Souls remaster on PS4 (or any PS3/x360 game remaster), well...It just became less likely to happen. Because even though virtually every single person who uses emulators have hearts of gold and would never resort to piracy, and of course always purchase every game they emulate, there are some who don't.

So when it comes time to decide whether or not it would be financially viable to spend the time and resources to develop a potential Demon's Souls remaster, or whichever game it happens to be, having said game easily available for emulation will most certainly factor into that decision, making it less likely to happen. Again, if you can't see that this sort of thing hurts at least as much as it helps, you are being short sighted.

Lol games are easily pirated on the PS3. Demon's Souls has been pirated for years and years so I fail to see how this makes it a lesser chance of a remaster.

I guess the game is no longer PS3 exclusive. :p

Jokes aside, it's kind of funny seeing this game on PC before a PS4 remaster... c'mon, Sony!

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If this leads to a higher percentage of "demon's souls is the worst one" post in Souls game ranking threads I'm ddossing the emulator website.

aravuus

Oh wow, nice. I've been meaning to give Demon's Souls a proper second (actually third) chance, playing it in a higher resolution with possibly a stable framerate would be fantastic. Still don't know shit about the lore of the game, gonna be interesting trying to piece it together myself since I've never been particularly good at that with the other Souls games.

Are these hurdles that you could just throw money at? With the recent surge in Patreon backers for Cemu, and the growing interest in PS3 emulation, it just makes me wonder if there would be a market for one. I know I'd be tempted if I could play Bloodborne 2 (or whatever) around release day on my PC.

In my opinion, I'd probably say yes in most cases. I know some of the hurdles for Xbox in particular have been based on "I can do this but I need to work/live". If I had more money than sense I'd definitely throw a ton at someone who wants to make an Xbox emulator.

Joey Ravn

Banned
There are two kinds of people in emulation-related threads like this one: those who see the merits of an open-source emulator like this one and those who don't. It breaks my heart to see how easily the amazing work of these devs is dimissed by certain people.

Anyway, congrats to the RPCS3 dev team! I have never actually tried this emulator because, like Xenia, it has been on pretty dev-focused stages so far. But now that it has come such a long way, I'm dying to get my hands on it!

bigol

Nice, the Demon's Souls announcement has given a nice boost to Patreon, it was at 500$ few hours ago,now it's at more than 600$. Nothing compared to the Cemu Patreon,at 10000$, but still impressive.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I CAN FINALLY PLAY MGS3 HD ON PC?
giphy.gif

Sanctuary

Nah, 720p with no AA looks terrible.

The game was never visually stunning in the first place. What made it so impressive was the atmosphere, and it's just as good now as it ever was. So this is subjectively inaccurate. If you're leaping to some wild assumption that I wouldn't care whether or not it could be playable at a higher resolution; that's just wrong.

Sami+

Yeah, it's called supporting the work of developers who create games that you enjoy, not just supporting developers who make emulators. If you don't see how emulation hurts the game industry as a whole, you're just being short sighted.

And for those of us who are hoping for a Demon's Souls remaster on PS4 (or any PS3/x360 game remaster), well...It just became less likely to happen. Because even though virtually every single person who uses emulators have hearts of gold and would never resort to piracy, and of course always purchase every game they emulate, there are some who don't.

So when it comes time to decide whether or not it would be financially viable to spend the time and resources to develop a potential Demon's Souls remaster, or whichever game it happens to be, having said game easily available for emulation will most certainly factor into that decision, making it less likely to happen. Again, if you can't see that this sort of thing hurts at least as much as it helps, you are being short sighted.

I know dude I was so pissed when Wind Waker HD bombed so hard they did another one immediately afterwards that I'm sure also must have definitely bombed.

Pirate bastards!

Wollan

Whatever that can be done to prevent this game from being lost in time.
There's seemingly no movement towards a PS4 port. It's free money, what's holding them...

Vuze

Whatever that can be done to prevent this game from being lost in time.
There's seemingly no movement towards a PS4 port. It's free money, what's holding them...
The existence of this emulator according to some wise people on GAF in this very thread. It's a vicious circle!

(If I had to guess, problems with the source code or sth. iirc DeS had experienced a ton of back and forth during its development, would be a reasonable explanation)

mrlion

I remember people saying it would be a decade or even never for ps3 emulation, the work these guys do is incredible

Its already a decade. Frankly, this could've been sooner since the emulator went into a very long hiatus with little to no progress for years, but yeah. You can thank Patreon for changing this.

Aeana

I don't know why this forum is suddenly incapable of discussing emulation without throwing piracy concern trolling into the mix. I guess we need to start being harsher on this again.

Tagyhag

Jesus that performance looks unplayable.

Think I'll stick with my PS3 version.

This is just to show that it can be run, it's running on an interpreter. Emulation isn't just ripping a ROM and whatever comes out on the emulator is what you get forever.

Now that's really impressive! I take it I have no way of getting Demon's Souls on my PC though if I own it digitally and I don't have a CFW PS3? :/

iavi

I don't know why this forum is suddenly incapable of discussing emulation without throwing piracy concern trolling into the mix. I guess we need to start being harsher on this again.

Money started getting made by the devs.

I don't see the problem with talented developers getting paid for their legal work. This stuff is important work (and in this instance, the system is over a decade old at this point). I don't see why people can't see the value in being able to easily play this game (which I think is an amazing game and also significant) and others in a method detached from fixed hardware so that this game can be played trivially 10, 20, 30, 100+ years from now on whatever form of hardware exists at that point in time. The idea that emulator authors are finding ways to make a living doing it sounds amazing to me, hopefully someone starts one up to try to improve the pace of development on PCSX2 as well.

Pixieking

Banned

Speaking personally, if I could throw Sony (MS/Nintendo/Sega, etc) a small amount of money per month to ensure the continued survival of video-games long after the hardware has broken, I would. Some kind of industry non-profit group that could employ people to port code to the PC - which, let's face it, is the only long-term standardised hardware this industry will have for the foreseeable future - once it has outlived it's company value would be pretty awesome. Because, honestly, it's not like Sony/From are making money from Demon's Souls as it stands, and hardware only lasts for so long before optical drive/hd/fans/mobo/LAN port breaks. If my PS3 dies, I'm not buying a new PS3 - either I'm buying second-hand, or I'm doing without. And if my DeS disc becomes unreadable, I'm buying a second-hand copy, or doing without.

But until the point where the manufacturers/pubs/devs actually care about the long-term survival of the product they spend millions creating and marketing, giving money to average people on Patreon to "keep up the good work" seems like the only choice.

tl;dr - if the industry gave a crap, we'd all be better off.

Eusis

We don't know PS5 specs yet mate. If they target Ryzen-level CPUs then I think it would be enough but Sony will just not allow it, sorry.
I imagine their mentality has more to do with pragmatism; is it easy to provide, and will it be enough of a value sell for us? And for that matter what is the competition doing?

If it's easy enough I'd be cautiously optimistic they'd put it in. If for some reason it's more advantageous to go with a totally different processor/GPU then they'd probably nix it, or if some difficulty arises. They can still try to upsell you on higher end versions of games afterall.

daninthemix

Right. I'm thinking it will probably be at least another five years before a stable release candidate for this, with support for more than a handful of games is released anyway. By that time, a "mid-range" modern PC should be powerful enough.

In the last five years CPUs have hardly progressed at all. What makes you think that's going to change over the next five?

Pixieking

Banned
In the last five years CPUs have hardly progressed at all. What makes you think that's going to change over the next five?

Not sure if this is what Sanctuary was thinking, but the obvious answer would be optimisation tweaks for the emulator. Considering this is still Alpha, and it's only in the last week/10 days they got the "eureka moment" to get DeS running, there'll be plenty of room for optimising it for multi-core CPUs. Which are what should be in the majority of mid-range desktop PCs in 5 years time.

Top Bottom