• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Light Novel |OT| Slightly Better than Manga and Anime!

Articalys

After I accidentally read spoilers a while ago for the SAO Alicization arc, my interest in the series waned, but now that the anime is going to officially be hitting that point, I realized I needed to ask the important question about players-trapped-in-MMO series:

What ever happened with the Log Horizon novels? Are they still on hiatus after the author's tax evasion incident or what?

Deadly

After I accidentally read spoilers a while ago for the SAO Alicization arc, my interest in the series waned, but now that the anime is going to officially be hitting that point, I realized I needed to ask the important question about players-trapped-in-MMO series:

What ever happened with the Log Horizon novels? Are they still on hiatus after the author's tax evasion incident or what?
Last volume came out in April (web novel) so it's still going

zulux21

I understand that tax evasion stuff was likely stressful, but at the same time it as always felt to me that house arrest should have increased his output not dropped it to nearly zero lol.

I understand that tax evasion stuff was likely stressful, but at the same time it as always felt to me that house arrest should have increased his output not dropped it to nearly zero lol.

From my understanding , but was busy keeping his life together and organising his defense + stuff with his familly. Must have taken his time

So thanks to Indigo/Chapters and them not caring about release dates, I got Juni Taisen: Zodiac War ahead of the release date by quite a bit. The major experience I have with Nisio Isin is with Medaka Box (one of my favourite manga) and Kizumonogatari, the only experience I have with the Gatari series, and it wasn't that bad. After reading the summary and the 1 chapter preview of the manga, I was really looking forward to this. After finishing it, I feel disappointed. Maybe I wasn't entirely sure about what I was expecting, but this just feels kind of mediocre. There's one thing I noticed that really bothered me, but I have no idea whether saying it is a spoiler or not, so I'll spoiler mark it just in case.

There's a pattern that becomes pretty obvious, and for me it took away the suspense of the story. After taking away the suspense, I'm not quite sure what's left to look forward to. Even worse, the ending is kind of disappointing, and the wish isn't revealed in the novel itself. Apparently there's a follow up to the story in a manga anthology called Ojiro, but I don't think that's been translated into English, so we won't know what the winner's wish actually was...

Maybe it's just me? Some of the characters' abilities were cool (one in particular was really neat), but I can't say that any of the 12 characters were really all that great. I don't have any desire to re-read it anytime soon.

So thanks to Indigo/Chapters and them not caring about release dates, I got Juni Taisen: Zodiac War ahead of the release date by quite a bit. The major experience I have with Nisio Isin is with Medaka Box (one of my favourite manga) and Kizumonogatari, the only experience I have with the Gatari series, and it wasn't that bad. After reading the summary and the 1 chapter preview of the manga, I was really looking forward to this. After finishing it, I feel disappointed. Maybe I wasn't entirely sure about what I was expecting, but this just feels kind of mediocre. There's one thing I noticed that really bothered me, but I have no idea whether saying it is a spoiler or not, so I'll spoiler mark it just in case.

There's a pattern that becomes pretty obvious, and for me it took away the suspense of the story. After taking away the suspense, I'm not quite sure what's left to look forward to. Even worse, the ending is kind of disappointing, and the wish isn't revealed in the novel itself. Apparently there's a follow up to the story in a manga anthology called Ojiro, but I don't think that's been translated into English, so we won't know what the winner's wish actually was...

Maybe it's just me? Some of the characters' abilities were cool (one in particular was really neat), but I can't say that any of the 12 characters were really all that great. I don't have any desire to re-read it anytime soon.

Did everything really resolve in a single volume.

Quasar

On the whole Alicization thing, I'm still gobsmacked. How do you even adapt that in under 4 cours, given the past seems to be on a pace of like 2 books per cour and this is like 10 books or more.

Can it be compressed that ,much and still be comprehensible?

On the whole Alicization thing, I'm still gobsmacked. How do you even adapt that in under 4 cours, given the past seems to be on a pace of like 2 books per cour and this is like 10 books or more.

Can it be compressed that ,much and still be comprehensible?

No way.

Just no way

That arc is bigger than all the others arc combined. it's that many books for a reason.

I got my copy of Juni Taisen: Zodiac War early through RightStuf. I've actually never read or watched anything from NisiOisiN. I was enticed by the concept of the Chinese Zodiac battle royale, and the manga chapters on viz.com plus the first episode of the anime really hyped me up for the novel.

I had mixed feelings on it. Without spoiling too much, it sort of becomes predictable how things will play out. I was interested in things that were happening, but after the first few chapters it doesn't really heat up again until the last 4 or 5 people remaining. Still, because of the predictability of the proceedings, some air is taken out of the action.

It was also frustrating that
the winner's wish is revealed in a one-shot in another manga... They don't reveal it here. I sort of doubt Viz is going to release the one-shot collection, and there are no fan translations that I can find. I'm kind of hoping the anime or manga just include it.

One of my other complaints was that I wished the novel explored the characters a bit more. The way the anime presented Boar's backstory was way more gripping and interesting than it's approached in the book (almost not at all). Only a few characters feel fully explored in a satisfying way.

I did enjoy the novel, but if the first episode is anything to go by, I'd probably just recommend the anime before this.

Yeah, the whole battle royale is settled in one book.

This is true, but they just announced a sequel, Juni Taisen vs. Juni Taisen. I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with
the winner and their wish or if it will cover the next Juni Taisen.

I got my copy of Juni Taisen: Zodiac War early through RightStuf. I've actually never read or watched anything from NisiOisiN. I was enticed by the concept of the Chinese Zodiac battle royale, and the manga chapters on viz.com plus the first episode of the anime really hyped me up for the novel.

I had mixed feelings on it. Without spoiling too much, it sort of becomes predictable how things will play out. I was interested in things that were happening, but after the first few chapters it doesn't really heat up again until the last 4 or 5 people remaining. Still, because of the predictability of the proceedings, some air is taken out of the action.

It was also frustrating that
the winner's wish is revealed in a one-shot in another manga... They don't reveal it here. I sort of doubt Viz is going to release the one-shot collection, and there are no fan translations that I can find. I'm kind of hoping the anime or manga just include it.

One of my other complaints was that I wished the novel explored the characters a bit more. The way the anime presented Boar's backstory was way more gripping and interesting than it's approached in the book (almost not at all). Only a few characters feel fully explored in a satisfying way.

I did enjoy the novel, but if the first episode is anything to go by, I'd probably just recommend the anime before this.

This is true, but they just announced a sequel, Juni Taisen vs. Juni Taisen. I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with
the winner and their wish or if it will cover the next Juni Taisen.

I'm in complete agreement with you. The predictability of it all was an absolute killer for me, as well as the ending. I hope the anime does a better job as well.

As for the sequel...I'm going to stay away and wait for opinions if it ever gets translated. I don't want to get burned again.

J-Novel Club announced another light novel, Walking My Second Path in Life.

51BSmQtGWCL.jpg

I am the first Princess of D- you know what, nevermind, you've probably never even heard of the place.
Apparently, my father had the amazing idea of marrying me off to King Roy, the famous “Emperor of Ice” of the great Kingdom of Orstoll.

Isn't that great?

No, it's not great at all!

––

Fie, first princess of Deeman, finds herself isolated and stranded in the foreign Kingdom of Orstoll all by her lonesome – effectively having been wed off as a dowry gift in accessory to her sister, Princess Fielle's marriage.

Trapped and isolated in a small back garden that once used to be a storehouse, Fie lives her days without purpose, and eventually without food – after the only member of her entourage, the chef, resigns.

Just as Fie was about to give in to despair, she finds a pamphlet advertising a Squire's test for the Royal Knights of Orstoll – beginning her journey of friendship, hard work, and guts, along with masquerading as a boy to walk her second path in life.

What will Fie find along the way?

Aters

The last book (book 13) of Saenai Hiroin no Sodatekata just came out. Guess who win.

With both this and My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong as I Expected coming to an end, it really feels like the end of an era. Where will all the waifu warriors go?

Deadly

The last book (book 13) of Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata just came out. Guess who win.

With both this and My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong as I Expected coming to an end, it really feels like the end of an era. Where will all the waifu warriors go?
I need my dose of koisuru metronome nooooow.

2nd best girl obviously won but the other girls seemed to have gotten some nice closure.

Top Bottom