• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MINDHUNTER |OT| Netflix Original Series - Oct 13

Enco

My Lord. Thank you Netflix for funding a slow deliberate period series by Fincher about serial killers. Zodiac as fuck. Two episodes in and basically nothing has happened at all but I'm fucking sold.

This.

Although a little slow it's still really interesting. Some tense scenes (eg
first interview with the co-ed killer
) and a great atmosphere.

Fincher is always good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Finished the first episode. Its super slow which will turn off 85% of the audience I guess but im super into it. Some really interesting discussion going on, especially given the time period.

But yeah I can see the slowness keeping ppl away. It's Ozark all over again (I loved Ozark btw).

Spuck-uk

Banned
Finished the first episode. Its super slow which will turn off 85% of the audience I guess but im super into it. Some really interesting discussion going on, especially given the time period.

But yeah I can see the slowness keeping ppl away. It's Ozark all over again (I loved Ozark btw).

This sounds awesome, I love slow burn shows.

awcarew

If a TV show only has like a 6.8/10 average on Rotten Tomatoes (which is typically very generous for TV series), that probably means it's not all that great.

Gonna try out an episode later on.

I'm a little confused with that score tho. The RT score is a 6.8 but it's also 92% certified fresh (thus far). Also the 12 positive reviews are for Episode 1+2. The sole negative review is for only the first hour and the critic admitted he didn't even watch both episodes that were provided to him.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the first two episodes and I‘m really enjoying it so far. Interesting stuff.

DeviantBoi

This thread is gonna be hard to find when it isn't on the front page because of the spaces between the letters in the title.

Unless you remember the spaces, you can't search for it.

Drain You

Didn't even know this was coming, randomly saw it on Netflix. Just started Ep 5, really liking it so far. Main dude is dry but intentional I think so I'll give it a pass.

J_Viper

Fincher is one of my favorite directors, but House of Cards is such a pile of burning trash that I can't get excited for another Netflix project from him

Blader

Fincher is one of my favorite directors, but House of Cards is such a pile of burning trash that I can't get excited for another Netflix project from him

Fincher's involvement on House of Cards was just in the first two episodes. He seems much more hands on with this series.

J_Viper

Fincher's involvement on House of Cards was just in the first two episodes. He seems much more hands on with this series.
That's good to know, thanks for clearing that up! I'll still check out the show, since I'm paying for Netflix anyway

awcarew

Looks like Fincher's getting even /more/ hands on with the show.

From EW October 13
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: This show is so secretive. I don’t know what happens after season 2. Did you know where it was going or was it just based on David Fincher?
HOLT McCALLANY: No. There were scripts that were written and there was a bible for the first five seasons. Now it was just very broad strokes but it existed. We were permitted to read it.

Where is the Mindhunter bible kept?
JONATHAN GROFF: It’s now like destroyed and blown up.
McCALLANY: It’s completely irrelevant now. I think once David took control over the arc of the story, everything has changed considerably from the original scripts that were turned by a talented British writer named Joe Penhall but who is no longer with the project. From the point of Joe’s departure David sort of really began to rework the scripts and the bible and everything changed a lot.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Man just reading about this has me very excited, definitely binging through this soon. Ticking all the right boxes for me.

This thread is gonna be hard to find when it isn't on the front page because of the spaces between the letters in the title.

Unless you remember the spaces, you can't search for it.

Eh, just subscribe to it?

Froxenblade

Neo Member
I like a slow burn too, but I just hope Netflix handles it better than it's predecessor, Bloodline. That was a fantastic slow burn show with an amazing first season, but everything subsequent just got worse and worse. If they're going that route with Mindhunters, I only hope Netflix lets them finish the show at their own pace. The last season of Bloodline was a total dumpster fire because they had to suddenly wrap everything up. (Spoiler alert: They did not.)

Will probably start watching later today.

Saudades

Goddamn, been a while since I've seen such a 10/10 first ep. Fincher da gawd.
Glad to hear he's deeply involved with the show (he's directing almost half of this season too).

ryseing

So it's a Netflix show. Eh.

Really interested in this because of Zodiac but I have yet to see a Netflix show that doesn't bore me to death -- except for the first season of House of Cards and Orange is the New Black, I guess.

You should watch American Vandal.

#whodrewthedicks

Blader

I like a slow burn too, but I just hope Netflix handles it better than it's predecessor, Bloodline. That was a fantastic slow burn show with an amazing first season, but everything subsequent just got worse and worse. If they're going that route with Mindhunters, I only hope Netflix lets them finish the show at their own pace. The last season of Bloodline was a total dumpster fire because they had to suddenly wrap everything up. (Spoiler alert: They did not.)

Ha, I've got the last episode of Bloodline to finally watch tonight. But from everything I've seen so far, the show's drop in quality in the second and third seasons has little if anything to do with how Netflix handled the show and everything to do with
the showrunners removing the single most compelling character after the first season. The show is just not nearly as interesting without Danny compared to when he's in it.

MORTALIS

Main character acting felt terrible to me first episode, to the point that I stopped watching. Glad I went back, episode 4 now and I get it. Very intentional and more of a shackle to this being a period piece and, at least at first, him being somewhat of a fish out of water both among his colleagues and in his relationship. He's grown on me.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i think slow burn shows might be a bit more palpable to your average person in this type of binge format...as opposed to regular tv where you're forced to wait and consume it over a period of months.

Weckum

Main character acting felt terrible to me first episode, to the point that I stopped watching. Glad I went back, episode 4 now and I get it. Very intentional and more of a shackle to this being a period piece and, at least at first, him being somewhat of a fish out of water both among his colleagues and in his relationship. He's grown on me.

Had the same feeling, just finished ep 1.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

I was expecting that outcome for Bloodline so I never bothered with s2+3. Bloodline will remain a fantastic one season show for me :p It's regrettable that they wanted to milk more seasons out of a concept that was pretty much wrapped in that one season.

Ruruja

The massive location text filling the screen is stupid and unnecessary.

That's my only complaint with the show.

The massive location text filling the screen is stupid and unnecessary.

That's my only complaint with the show.

I felt that way at first too but by the third episode, these guys are traveling to so many places that it actually really helps to keep track of where they are.

TripOpt55

Excited to have Anna Torv back on my TV (Fringe is my favorite show)! I watched the first episode. Seems pretty interesting so far. Will watch more tonight.

First episode was great. It was slow but compelling, probably because from our modern perspective, we know these guys’ work is going to pay off so the resistance and misunderstandings have an antagonistic edge that makes their efforts that much more engaging.

And yeah, those first five minutes were one way of setting the tone and atmosphere right from the start

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Still only watched first ep (I work graveyard shift, was sleeping during the day lol) but I wanted to say this before.

I loved the scene where
they go to "help" the cop about that gruesome murder, cop asks him "so what happened? why did he do it?" and main character (whats his name? I forget) is like "dude...I dunno" and the cop goes "how fucking dare you?" as in "you come in here with your fancy FBI lingo to "teach" us, but you dont actually know shit either?"

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
These conversations with Ed(I think? the serial killer guy) are fantastic. Almost wouldn't mind if the whole episode was him just talking.

Top Bottom