• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Norway, women now hold all 3 top positions in gov (Prime, foreign, finance min.)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What a nightmare.

Call me sexist but I always vote for women. I like to think the world would be a better place with only women in power.
Ehhh you shouldn't do that. Vote for platform and ideas, not genders. If you vote for people like Thatcher or Sarah Palin... yeah. 🤢

Tacitus_

But do they want you there? Anti immigration parties are pretty big in Nordic states. They are rich and good in lots of ways but not perfect.

Not perfect, no. But 10-20% support for anti immigration parties isn't that bad when looking at the rest of the world.

CoolOff

Isn't Scandinavia pretty fucking racist?

The Eurocentric patting on the back always irks me. Leading the way forward in what sense? You do know countries like India and Pakistan have elected women to the most powerful roles in government decaces before right? Argentina, Brazil etc. Plus, the current government in Norway is centre right and also slightly populist and ultranationalism is on the rise in all Scandinavian countries. You think Neo-Nazis marching in Charlottesville in the US is bad, google arson attacks in Sweden against refugee centres etc. And then finally, just electing women to all levels of government means what? That they will inherently run the country better just because they are women?

Aren’t they still billions of dollars in debt?

I want to get off Mr. Neogafs wild ride.

Irminsul

Aren't they still billions of dollars in debt?
Have you ever heard of the Norwegian Oil Fund? It's the world's largest sovereign wealth fund, worth a nice $1 trillion or roughly $200,000 per citizen (yes, including children).

This thread has some really baffling posts, but that one takes the crown.

Kurita

That's great, too bad you'll never see such progressiveness in the US.
What a nightmare.

Call me sexist but I always vote for women. I like to think the world would be a better place with only women in power.
Voting for women doesn't make you automatically progressive tho. Women can be awful bigots/racists/non feminists/etc.
Would you say it's progress if someone like Marine Le Pen gets elected in France, or if Sarah Palin gets elected in the USA? I hope not.
These posts baffle me.

Audioboxer

Congrats! Happy the UK has been decently good with diversity and equality in politics. Scotland especially.

Now on the note of the Norwegian oil fund... Yeah, if only the British government hadn't totally fucked our oil revenues at the heights in the past.

Ash735

Hopefully they are not as terrible as Theresa May, ...seriously, hope for that, just because they're a woman doesn't mean they don't make bad choices. NeoGAF is easily impressed with this sort of thing but political wise women can make the same bad choices as men.

Audioboxer

Hopefully they are not as terrible as Theresa May, ...seriously, hope for that, just because they're a woman doesn't mean they don't make bad choices. NeoGAF is easily impressed with this sort of thing but political wise women can make the same bad choices as men.

Of course they can, they're... humans lol. Thatcher was a fucking nightmare. One of the worst prime ministers we've had. May seems to want to be Thatcher 1.5. She's not good enough to be version 2.0.

I think people are just happy when politics allows equality of opportunity.

As usual, it's scandinavian countries leading the way forward for the world.

If only their language wasn't so damn hard, i'd consider moving north.
So having 3 women in power is leading the way forward?

We shouldn't care this much if it is a woman or a man. Well, at least I think like that - I just want someone that knows what they're doing and what's good for the country.

They're laughing so hard because now they can start oppressing men :-(
Uh...

What a nightmare.

This is the type of things that politics SERIOUSLY doesn't need. Vote for ideals not this.

This is where Democracy fails.

Lime

Too bad they’re a bunch of racists and neoliberal capitalists. This is a tired superficial take on feminism aka the “hire more women prison guards/drone operators” meme

2MF

But do they want you there? Anti immigration parties are pretty big in Nordic states. They are rich and good in lots of ways but not perfect.

Some people do, some people don't. Personally I didn't feel any significant racism. I have close friends who are not white and very much enjoyed living there. Some of them even got Swedish nationality even though they didn't speak Swedish fluently - this goes to show that institutionally there aren't big anti-immigrant practices, at least not yet.

This is not to say that everything is perfect with regards to immigration - cultural assimilation of 2nd generation muslims (who often still proclaim large non-Swedish identity for themselves) is not great, and there are segregated parts of towns. But as someone coming from abroad, this may not affect you much.

If you're going to base your decision of whether to emmigrate to a country on the existence of anti-immigration parties, you probably won't be able to live anywhere except your home country. Which is fine if that's what you care about.

Jumeira

Banned
Is Norway the best country ever?
Yes. Saying this as a Brit, i do believe this is true. Lovely people, great infrastructure, decent social care and pension fund, only downside is that there's greater spells of grey then UK.

Ive contemplated moving to Norway, love the brown caramel cheese you lot seem to be fond of.

LOL @ posters thinking Norway are in some financial pit. Quite the opposite, last i read they're one of Europe's richest.

This. I would never in a million years say they were better for gender equality. Just the idea Scandinavian countries 'leading the world' for electing women leaders means they are inherently better when others have done it as well and seldom gotten the recognition.

Also, those countries at the top are highly advanced post industrial nations with high rates of literacy and education and respect for human rights. The others are developing countries which barely were even independent 70 years ago. 150 years ago Indians were burning widows alive on their husbands funeral pyre. Maybe 100 years from now they'll be higher on the list. Morrigan has a good point though,and I didn't want it to be a 'simpsons did it' point to take away.

One of the things I like about our government in Canada was Trudeaus promise to diversify and give equal representation in his government which we have seen.

You are quite frankly my favourite poster on NeoGAF, again, thanks for the insight and balanced perspective.

Not

Banned
Awesome. Now let's get a PoC in there.

Start race mixin,' Norway. You'll be the perfect country as soon as you achieve heterogeneity.

Not

Banned
What a nightmare.

I agree that it would probably be OVERALL a better place almost everywhere. Except the UK.

I'm not sure where to even begin with this one. I don't think you got a single thing correct in your sentence.

I'm mostly curious about the Armenians though. Did your ass maybe tell you why we hate Armenians so much? It seems very random.
The Armenian genocide in Norway:
https://armenpress.am/eng/news/8881...at-it-really-was-a-genocide’-–-historian.html

Forced sterilization of Romanis:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2000/dec/09/2

Further reading:
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5975f67be4b0545a5c3101ba

It was my bad for malappropriating Sweden as Norway, I read incorrectly, but Sweden isn’t an angel either in terms of race relations.

jonnyp

So having 3 women in power is leading the way forward?

We shouldn't care this much if it is a woman or a man. Well, at least I think like that - I just want someone that knows what they're doing and what's good for the country.

Uh...

This is the type of things that politics SERIOUSLY doesn't need. Vote for ideals not this.

This is where Democracy fails.

Completely agree. Can't believe the things said and views held by so called liberals on this forum anymore

So is literally the opposite though, denying or dismissing Norways achievements and trying to highlight extreme edge-cases from other countries as equivalent to our far deeper degrees of success.
There is absolutely no one denying Norway or other similar Euro-countries their achievements when the media likes to report on their accomplishments moreso than other non-Euro countries. That’s a false premise when you consider the reality and universality of White supremacy.

BBboy20

The punchline being that the government is a coalition of Norway's Conservatives and their right-wing populist party, the "Progress Party" (though they're far milder than their European cousins).
A Norwegian friend felt ashamed to be a woman for these particular women running on that platform.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
So it isn't noteworthy when someone finally comes in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc?

"Big deal"

Okay, so nobody comes after Bangladesh? That is how you want it?
Bangladesh is also.. not exactly a bastion of human rights and amazing oppurtunities for women unless you count people fairly recently deciding throwing acid in womens faces ‘a bit too mean to carry on with’

edit: worth mentioning that NZ just had a woman win prime minister in the last few days, 9 ish years prior Helen clark also held the position for i think 8 years.

NZ also had the first transsexual member of parliment and mayor a good long time ago
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgina_Beyer

BBboy20

That they will inherently run the country better just because they are women?
Probability of being better leaders due to living, in one fashion or another, marginalized lives.

It seems like though that doesn't seem to reflect Norway's current leadership.

So Norway is racist. What now?

What does it mean for the gender representation in politics in Norway? Thread is not even two pages long and there are already more than two posters who somehow got butthurt about it and think they need to tell GAF how bad Norway truely is - also Norway ans Sweden are interchangeable.

Probability of being better leaders due to living, in one fashion or another, marginalized lives.

It seems like though that doesn't seem to reflect Norway's current leadership.

My country is in it's 4th or 5th female Prime Minister and honestly I'm not feeling the difference

CoolOff

23% is nothing

What is your target number? As mentioned, it's almost double what the US is.

How much of that 23% is non-white?

Here is the distribution, define non-white how you want it.

x5opVXJ.png

Women on the left, men on the right, and the last row is for "other countries".

Rad-

As usual, it's scandinavian countries leading the way forward for the world.

If only their language wasn't so damn hard, i'd consider moving north.

Swedish and Norwegian are quite easy to learn and are similar to eachother (if you can speak one of the two, you will decently understand the other). Danish is somewhere middle level in difficulty. Finnish is a hard one (though technically it isn't Scandinavia but most people view it as such anyways because it's way more like Scandinavian countries than Baltic states or Russia).

fanboi

Banned
Swedish and Norwegian are quite easy to learn and are similar to eachother (if you can speak one of the two, you will decently understand the other). Danish is somewhere middle level in difficulty. Finnish is a hard one (though technically it isn't Scandinavia but most people view it as such anyways because it's way more like Scandinavian countries than Baltic states or Russia).

I would say this is a good graph for learning the language (note, the black is Finnish):

learningcurve.jpg

jts

...hate me...
Yeah English speakers can learn basic Swedish in mere weeks. Danish and Norwegian aren’t far from it.

It’s just Finnish giving “nordic languages” a bad name.

Vittu.

weekev

Banned
Norwegian isn't very hard. This is good for Norway, but I've also thought it was interesting that people haven't pointed out that all three leaders of the major political parties of Scotland were women until late August.

At the same time as a woman PM for the UK.

Top Bottom