• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX One X |OT| X Gon' give it to ya

Poppyseed

Is it the disc drive or the fan? Can you tell?

Since there's no disc in the drive, it's definitely the fan.

These systems DEMAND reasonably decent airflow. With my media console closed (vented door), the system gets much louder in AC Origins. And at one point it was downright NOISY for just a second. I have a feeling the temperature threshold was passed at that point.

With the door open to my media console the system is quieter during AC Origins. But the fan absolutely changes speed when you play AC Origins versus right after you close the game.

This is quite different to Xbox One S which I don't ever recall changing fan speed audibly.

funcojoe

ZefFpo

Honestly, I've had my one x for a day and I'm already noticing some things that Microsoft really needs to fix. The first being the ability to throttle download speeds similar to steam. If you let the Xbox one x just download on its own, it will eat up 99% of the available bandwidth.

Secondly, I purchased the disc version of halo 5 and I have to download a 55gb patch? The patch is bigger than AAA games. Its like they don't even bother to compress the files prior to download and then decompress it on install. Seriously, this is unacceptable. I'm sitting here waiting to play halo 5 and I can't download it because I want others in the house to be able to use the internet.

EvB

I'm just wondering why Microsoft still didn't update their YouTube app to 4K it's still 1080P for a while now. Anyone who knows it?

Do yourself a favour and don’t sit around wait for google to update the app, download Mytube, it has loads of playback options including HDR , quality selection and you can even disable the ads

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Do yourself a favour and don’t sit around wait for google to update the app, download Mytube, it has loads of playback options including HDR , quality selection and you can even disable the ads

HDR on xbone?

Were there any X1X Enhanced patches released today that had not been released yesterday?

After rebooting my One X, uninstalling COD WW2 then reinstalling it, it showed a tiny update that was not there a few days back, downloaded it, now COD is showing up under my Enhanced games.

It's odd cause it's still at 54gb just as yesterday and the day before. My guess is that it just renders in a higher resolution but doesn’t necessarily have higher quality textures. That’s what causes all the big patches.

Still looks incredible in 4K on my Screen, my wife couldn't believe what she was seeing at times while i was playing it.

RC0101

Got my Scorpio edition this afternoon and I'm more impressed with it than I thought I would be. So quiet and the games look so good.

MaulerX

Is there a way to register the X into the preview program? I'm not seeing the option in the Xbox Insider app. I had 2 One S's in the Alpha preview but traded one and now want to add the X to it. Thanks.

Got my Scorpio edition this afternoon and I'm more impressed with it than I thought I would be. So quiet and the games look so good.

I think the majority of us are with you on this. I wasn't expecting the quality the X is pumping out, the games are just jaw dropping beautiful! Was just playing KI and i can't believe the difference, its freakin gorgeous in 4K!

xray49er

Is there a way to register the X into the preview program? I'm not seeing the option in the Xbox Insider app. I had 2 One S's in the Alpha preview but traded one and now want to add the X to it. Thanks.

In the preview app go to insider content and you should be able to register. I registered then I joined the Minecraft beta and my x1x updated and I was back into the alpha ring immediately

MaulerX

In the preview app go to insider content and you should be able to register. I registered then I joined the Minecraft beta and my x1x updated and I was back into the alpha ring immediately

Done. Thanks a million! I didn't think to check there, I kept looking under Settings>Manage Devices. ☺

Nah, sadly bought it before hdr took off, I'm buying an hdr set in a month though.

Do you have decent credit? Do you live in the U.S.? If so go apply for a Best Buy Credit Card. I just got 18 Month financing on my Switch and One X, NO interest, so for the next 18 Months everything i pay goes straight towards my purchases. I also put my $1800 TV on the card with 24 Month Financing. My payments are only $27 a month, but obviously i pay way more then that to keep up with the financing so no interest kicks in after the 24/18 Months.

I initially got a $2000 limit, but after 6 Months they bumped it up to $3000 cause of the amount i send each month which is usually between $100-150.

Leonidas

FreeSync doesn't seem to be working. Slime Rancher runs without V-Sync(unless you turn the option on) and there was still a bit of tearing.

I might just be paranoid, when i eject a disc i swear i can hear a faint clicking, like the drive has a issue ejecting a disc. It ejects the disc butter smooth but just sounds.....off.

B4D1E

Got mine yesterday. Like everyone else I was amazed by the huge visual upgrade. I only tried AC: O and my god at THE DETAILS AND CLARITY. I arrived in Memphis and a storm was taking place and the sky was turning black. What a glorious contrast and all that on a 1080p screen!!!

What also strike me is the Windows Sonic. I don’t know if it’s the new controller but now I can hear the surround clearly. Has anybody else noticed this? Is it because the console is Atmos capable that the software surround qound is more efficient?

MANGOD

Banned
BF2 is so clean. Intrigued what res its running at as I don't think it's native but couldn't care with the results. Hdr is also really good

munroe

Secondly, I purchased the disc version of halo 5 and I have to download a 55gb patch? The patch is bigger than AAA games. Its like they don't even bother to compress the files prior to download and then decompress it on install. Seriously, this is unacceptable. I'm sitting here waiting to play halo 5 and I can't download it because I want others in the house to be able to use the internet.

Where else are you meant to get the enhanced content from, 4k assets do tend to be on the large side

//DEVIL//

Hello guys! I just came back home with my One X.
After all the setup I tried to run CoD and I get this supposedly weird noise from the fan:
https://youtu.be/DZtzSirTp0o
It only seems to appear under full load, no signs of it while idle. Did I get a faulty unit or should I be cool with these one?
Thank's for your time guys. :)

Edit: It's a buzzing sound that comes under load, I think Youtube may have compressed the audio a little bit too much.

Yes. thats normal. thats the coil whine. technically all GPU / APU has it. even on PC and PS4. . my GTX 1080 has it, so does my ps4 and my xbox one X.

however some are more annoying than others. if you only hear it if your ear is close to system, then its fine. but if you are 1 meter far or 2 meters far and you can hear it still. Then you can ask for replacement.

but it doesnt affect the console performance or longevity in any way. so if your console isnt loud, i suggest you to knock on wood and thank god. because between loud fan xbox one x, and dead after couple of hours of use xbox one x reports, you have a gold between your hand. keep it.

Yes. thats normal. thats the coil whine. technically all GPU / APU has it. even on PC and PS4. . my GTX 1080 has it, so does my ps4 and my xbox one X.

however some are more annoying than others. if you only hear it if your ear is close to system, then its fine. but if you are 1 meter far or 2 meters far and you can hear it still. Then you can ask for replacement.

but it doesnt affect the console performance or longevity in any way. so if your console isnt loud, i suggest you to knock on wood and thank god. because between loud fan xbox one x, and dead after couple of hours of use xbox one x reports, you have a gold between your hand. keep it.

yes.

I agree with you, but his fan does sound like it's a tad loose. I have went up to my One X quite a few times already and listened very closely (my OCD calls for it! lol), and i can tell you right now I have not heard my One X fan "Flutter" like that.

I have a game or 2 to download tonight, and all 6 of my Brady Bunch Kids are sleeping, so with NO background noise from them pesky rascals, ill be able to focus on the sound. Will record it aswel just to compare.

Gonna play a few games of pool with the wife then im on it.

petrus91

yes.

I can only hear it while I mute the TV or put down my headset..but otherwise it’s preatty dead silent, the fan never kicks in in any game I played.
I will grab your suggestion and keep it since there is absolutely no stock on Gamestop in Italy and one of my friends just got a faulty BD drive unit.
Thank’s very much. :)

Pantz

I tried out Kameo for a bit on my X and I gotta say it's lookin good. I don't know how much it's taking advantage of the the natural enhancements of the X1X without a way to compare it. Just glad that I always put off playing it from the launch of the 360 since it wouldn't be as appreciated on my old 3:4 CRT.

ymgjKhj.jpg

The grass and trees and floating particles remind me of Horizon Zero Dawn a bit. I bet it would look amazing with an official enhanced patch. Wonder what the chance of that would be?

KGoogle

These systems DEMAND reasonably decent airflow. With my media console closed (vented door), the system gets much louder in AC Origins. And at one point it was downright NOISY for just a second. I have a feeling the temperature threshold was passed at that point.

With the door open to my media console the system is quieter during AC Origins. But the fan absolutely changes speed when you play AC Origins versus right after you close the game.

This is quite different to Xbox One S which I don't ever recall changing fan speed audibly.

I had an S before and my X runs same as that no louder or change in fan speed, you may have a faulty unit seen quite a few people say about loud fans then got a replacement for a quieter one

petrus91

I agree with you, but his fan does sound like it's a tad loose. I have went up to my One X quite a few times already and listened very closely (my OCD calls for it! lol), and i can tell you right now I have not heard my One X fan "Flutter" like that.

I have a game or 2 to download tonight, and all 6 of my Brady Bunch Kids are sleeping, so with NO background noise from them pesky rascals, ill be able to focus on the sound. Will record it aswel just to compare.

Yeah it seems like some units are more silent than others, if I record the noise with the tool I get 44 to 45 db so it seems in line with the actual standard.
As of now there really is some major stock issues here in Italy, especially at Gamestop, so I wouldn’t like to handle them my unit and get a replacement (with possible unexpected behaviour) in 10 to 15 day.
Thank’s for your feedback, seems like this issue is more pronounced on some devices but I hope that this causes no problem in the next future. :)

I tried out Kameo for a bit on my X and I gotta say it's lookin good. I don't know how much it's taking advantage of the the natural enhancements of the X1X without a way to compare it. Just glad that I always put off playing it from the launch of the 360 since it wouldn't be as appreciated on my old 3:4 CRT.

ymgjKhj.jpg

The grass and trees and floating particles remind me of Horizon Zero Dawn a bit. I bet it would look amazing with an official enhanced patch. Wonder what the chance of that would be?

If they patched Viva Pinata TIP my wife would let me buy an X instantly... so I'm hoping rare replay gets full enhancements lol

//DEVIL//

I am pretty sure his fan isnt loose ( its not possible to be loose in the first place because its covered from both sides. but its his video recording that imply the sound of the fan.

as for the fan not kicking in, it has to kick in at one point otherwise you have a defective console that doesnt measure the temp of the console. play gears of war or any high demand game and keep your ear self close to the console in a muted room where AC / TV is on mute. you will gradually hear the fan kicking abit. however, this is considered to me is dead silent compared to my ex PS4 pro and my pc. if i am playing and i cant hear the console from 1 meter away i consider it a dead silent console.

also, the sound of the fan might go up few seconds and back on depending on the room tempreture. so as long as you it doesnt get very loud to the point you can hear it clearly from far, your console is fine.

I can only hear it while I mute the TV or put down my headset..but otherwise it's preatty dead silent, the fan never kicks in in any game I played.
I will grab your suggestion and keep it since there is absolutely no stock on Gamestop in Italy and one of my friends just got a faulty BD drive unit.
Thank's very much. :)

yeah your console is fine bro. . congrats.

Fan started on mine when playing gears of war 4. But don’t hear it much

enewtabie

Got a scorpio in my Amazon cart but still not sure. I've got a PC that outperforms the X,but I've been an Xbox guy since the first one and bought every console at launch..I keep saving it for later and then moving back to the cart lol.

Ovech-King

Gold Member
Since I'm only installing this tonight and this is my first xbox since the 360 , can you guys chime in on 2 things please please?

1 - Does the 4k movie playback (disk) works great? Smoother than the S ? Etc.

2 - Anyone dealt with hardware problems like console won't turn on? I've read some minor reports about this

Top Bottom