• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

Reallink

It blows my mind they can have such great OLED sets, yet they could give two shits less about their LCD sets. Might as well just go full time on OLED and lower the price via economy of scale. Nobody bought an LG TV from me outside of OLED when I was at Best Buy, I can't remember a time where someone was like wow I want that LG LCD.

Sadly they will probably apply the "technology" to their OLED's next year as they've been wildly successful pushing the grift under the radar based on how many people regurgitate the 61XX models as recommendations. Most people are only concerned with price and feature lists. My guess is this these cheap throw away LCD's are a market test to gauge the level of blow back without risking taint to their good OLED reputation. The process is honestly tailor made for their White OLED implementation, which presently uses the full 8.3 million R, G, B, and W's with no substitution. No doubt they're chomping at the bit to cut that number of subpixels with this Faux-4K white substitution method.

OmegaDL50

is that one thing ive heard people say actually true, where if its under a certain size you wont see the full benefit of 4K?

I think this is a perpetuated myth. There are some Cellphones and Tablets which have very small screens and people can notice a very distinct difference between 720p and 1080p resolution content on screens that small. When the first 4K capable Cellphone / Tablet comes out, I'd say it's a safe bet the people will also be easily able to distinguish 4K content from 1080p content when that time comes.

It's all a matter of pixel density. It's just on much larger screens it's much more apparent because the larger screen size means the each individual pixel is larger to accommodate the larger screen.

Naturally 8,294,400 pixels (4K) requires compacted density to fill the whole screen as opposed to 2,073,600 pixels (1080p) which translates to a much overall clearer image.

Wallach

On a tv with HDR on, 33ms is pretty damn good. If your playing a game more sensitive to response time faster than 33 milliseconds, you can simply turn off HDR for that game.

In this TV's case it won't matter. The response time doesn't change whether HDR is being used or not. 33ms is as low as it goes.

is that one thing ive heard people say actually true, where if its under a certain size you wont see the full benefit of 4K?

IGN.gif

oneils

There is a 49 inch version that also has a reasonable price.

I gave been looking at this tv, but ideally my next tv will be direct lit and not edge lit. I finally bought a 1080p panel two or three years ago. It is from Sony and it is edge lit. It is great for gaming but I am not a fan of the edge lighting when it comes to movies.

Seems like with tvs, these days, you must be prepared to make some sort of sacrifice unless you are willing to lay down some serious cash.

longdi

Banned
Remove the HDMI ports for innovation points?
Lightning port ftw!

But at least apple will forced the others to clean up their messy lineup, and stream line the number of sets. Just 3-4 sets per year, all with 10bit hdr etc.
I also expect apple to research on some high end backlighting. Their iPhone while using LG panels, have industrial leading quality

Fredrik

Just started going down the rabbit hole of trying to find a TV that has great HDR and 4K (because right now that's the only real reason to spend a bunch of money), but also supports native 120hz at 1080p, supports 4:4:4 chroma and has good input lag. This is a nightmare.
I know! And it gets even worse if you're using a home-theater receiver too which needs all those features too.
So I wait, hopefully it'll all be standardized within a year or so. A 4K TV would be nice but what I really want is a true 4K projector from Epson, their current ones are using some weird pixel-doubling upscale but is 1080p natively. So whenever Epson jumps in on full-features true 4K is when I do the same. Hopefully next year in time for Marantz SR6012, my old SR6006 and Epson TW9000 will have to do until then.

I hope these large screen people don't expect to be the best at mp games. The difference in play at very large and quite small is pretty staggering.

I hated playing mp on 50 plus, so much area to look at and movment just takes more time with eyes etc

Easily play twice better in smaller.

Hell when I had high lag I switched to a crt and was also much better at the lower resolutions than the lag and go.

For you cheap hdr owners and lag, mp is always going to be much worse

It's interesting, that all the while the image they have behind them is clearly zoomed in and not 1:1 pixel mapped. How obvious can it be that the TV is overscanning.

But, for some reason people think just because you're talking into a mic on a podcast you automatically know what you're talking about.

I hope these large screen people don't expect to be the best at mp games. The difference in play at very large and quite small is pretty staggering.

I hated playing mp on 50 plus, so much area to look at and movment just takes more time with eyes etc

Easily play twice better in smaller.

Hell when I had high lag I switched to a crt and was also much better at the lower resolutions than the lag and go.

For you cheap hdr owners and lag, mp is always going to be much worse

What? This is really disjointed, I can't really follow what you mean other than it seems you had a hard time tracking movement on a larger screen for some reason?

On the flip side for me on a larger screen it was much easier to see minute movements, or small details I could miss on a tiny screen.

I had 50 inch version of this line, how do I test 4k hdr video? I download a demo video for 4k hdr, do I simply copy it to usb stick and play it with the tv video app? In the setting, I only found option to turn on hdr for hdmi input. Not sure if the video apps can play hdr video or not.

Cool thanks. I have a samsung tv from maybe 5+ years ago and I couldn't find the input lag of this specific model so I was wondering. I'm trying to figure out the input lag I might have so I can decide on the tv. I wonder if it's even noticeable under a certain amount of milliseconds.

I think the general rule that seems to be that as long as it's around 35-40ms or less then it's good enough for gaming. However some people (like me) have been spoiled by Sony 1080p TV's from about 2-3 years ago where they had insanely low input lag. It's taken a while for 4K TV's to pick up the slack, but the signs are looking positive.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Did Sony sort out their issues with Android being really buggy? I purchased one of their 4K TVs last year, and it was so bad I returned it. Freezes, and reboots on a regular bases, and a ton of missing features, such as hdd recording.

Aye? I picked up one of their 4K tellies late last year, had a few Android issues at the start but after a fw update it's been fine, also does hdd recording. Think mine is the KD55X8000 or something.

I'll wait until a decent 4k display with all the bells and whistles and low input lag and is 55-60 inches is under 1k. Absolutely no rush since 4k content isnt plentiful and speeds in my area could likely barely handle it.

Fredrik

I think this is a perpetuated myth. There are some Cellphones and Tablets which have very small screens and people can notice a very distinct difference between 720p and 1080p resolution content on screens that small. When the first 4K capable Cellphone / Tablet comes out, I'd say it's a safe bet the people will also be easily able to distinguish 4K content from 1080p content when that time comes.

It's all a matter of pixel density. It's just on much larger screens it's much more apparent because the larger screen size means the each individual pixel is larger to accommodate the larger screen.

Naturally 8,294,400 pixels (4K) requires compacted density to fill the whole screen as opposed to 2,073,600 pixels (1080p) which translates to a much overall clearer image.
It's easy to get lost in all the technicalities but in the end it's all about the size of your screen and your viewing distance. I normally sit like 25cm from my 5.5" mobile phone screen but I sit 3 meters from my 46" TV and as weird as it may sound 4K would probably make more sense on my phone than TV because I'm simply too far away from the TV to notice the resolution upgrade from 1080p to 4K.
In my case, or rather at my viewing distance, 4K starts to make sense on bigger TVs and projector screens. Not sure how big though, I'm sure there is a graph for this but maybe 65" and above?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just started going down the rabbit hole of trying to find a TV that has great HDR and 4K (because right now that's the only real reason to spend a bunch of money), but also supports native 120hz at 1080p, supports 4:4:4 chroma and has good input lag. This is a nightmare.
Does such a tv even exist?
Those are all the check marks but I've never seen something with all those specs.

I wish decent 4k Tvs were anywhere near this price in Japan. I'll make a trip to Costco to see if they have any imported Vizio sets, but the Sony, Sharp, Panasonic models are ridiculously priced. I'll probably be sticking with my 1080p projector for a while.

Yeah I was looking at this TV earlier. Looks nice. I need a 40 inch so its at a good price on Amazon. However i am waiting for 2017 to jump into 4K so I am sure Vizio and Samsung will also have HDR sets that will be at that price and screen size.

Reallink

Does such a tv even exist?
Those are all the check marks but I've never seen something with all those specs.

The 55" and larger Vizio P's do in theory, though their support of 4:4:4 is buggy/contentious and their while their SDR lag is the best available, their HDR lag is poor.

R1CHO

I thought there was a brightness requirement for hdr certifications.

At only 375 CD/m^2 what kind of hdr does this thing have?

From what I understood of Digital Foundry is that most 'cheaper' sets are not bright enough, although they are HDR10, like the Panasonic DX750.

Peak brightness is also limited to just over 500 nits (rather than the 1000 specified for UHD Premium).

Samsung KS8000 seems like a good tv and it's bright. Does anyone know what this set is called in Europe? Can't find it anywhere...

R1CHO

From what I understood of Digital Foundry is that most 'cheaper' sets are not bright enough, although they are HDR10, like the Panasonic DX750.

Samsung KS8000 seems like a good tv and it's bright. Does anyone know what this set is called in Europe? Can't find it anywhere...

Seems like is the Ks7000

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't fit any more than a 50" in my living room with the current furniture. I expect really large sets are impractical in many smaller homes like in the UK. I wonder if that might slow adoption of 4K over here?

Jamex RZ

Banned
If I understood correctly a 1080p tv with 50Hz refresh rate ( which I own atm ) is way faster ( inputlag and response ) than a fancy tv with all the digital bells and whistles. Is it safe to say that a 50Hz 4K HDR10 capabele set will also perform better when it comes to gaming?

For all I know that gamemode on any tv will set 100/200Hz etc to 50Hz. For me personally , who will be using this tv purely for gaming, 50Hz might be the way to go as it is cheaper.

Sony has released some new models in August ( at least in the Netherlands ) which could do the trick ( 4K HDR10, although no info is geven on brightness ).
Models are:
- 49XD 8005
- 49XD 8077/ 8088 / 8099

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Basically your choices are:
1. Spend $5+k, and be super pissed in 1-2 years when it doesn't meet some new standard as 4K solidifies
2. Wait 2 years and spend $1k

I am in team 2, especially considering I have a really nice Sony 1080p low input lag panel + receiver.

Save for UHD blurays, a few things on Netflix, and high end PCs, there really isn't much 4K content at native resolution. It's like trying to have 1080p in the early 2000s. Did you miss it then? I didn't.

Karak

Ouch that panel is a friggen booby trap lol.
Do not get that damned thing. I swear this kind of stuff is almost straight up illegal.

Lanark

ktroopa

If I understood correctly a 1080p tv with 50Hz refresh rate ( which I own atm ) is way faster ( inputlag and response ) than a fancy tv with all the digital bells and whistles. Is it safe to say that a 50Hz 4K HDR10 capabele set will also perform better when it comes to gaming?

For all I know that gamemode on any tv will set 100/200Hz etc to 50Hz. For me personally , who will be using this tv purely for gaming, 50Hz might be the way to go as it is cheaper.

Sony has released some new models in August ( at least in the Netherlands ) which could do the trick ( 4K HDR10, although no info is geven on brightness ).
Models are:
- 49XD 8005
- 49XD 8077/ 8088 / 8099

What is the uk model for this? I cant find anything on amazon or even the sony uk site is not clear. I want the 43" model as dont have space for anything bigger

Top Bottom