• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet Delta's Boeing 747 replacement, the Airbus A350

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
36756985041_573b9fac3d_b.jpg

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/delta-expands-a350-network-ahead-of-introduction-442290/
Delta Air Lines will fly its new Airbus A350-900 to Amsterdam in 2018, as it prepares to introduce its latest product offerings and aircraft on long-haul routes at the end of October.

The SkyTeam Alliance carrier will fly the aircraft between its Detroit hub and Amsterdam from March 2018, says Delta chief executive Ed Bastian at a media event for the new aircraft in Atlanta today.

"The A350 is a significant step forward for us into the international competitiveness of our product and service,"
he says.

Delta will introduce its new business class suites as well as long-haul premium economy product on the aircraft, which enters service as its new "flagship" long-haul jet between Detroit and Tokyo Narita on 30 October.

Delta will offer the A350 on six routes, including the Amsterdam and Tokyo services, by next summer: Detroit-Seoul Incheon from 18 November, Detroit-Beijing from 17 January 2018, Atlanta-Seoul Incheon from March 2018 and Detroit-Shanghai Pudong from 19 April 2018.

The carrier will replace 747s on the flights to Seoul, Shanghai and Tokyo from Detroit, Airbus A330-200s to Amsterdam and Beijing from Detroit, and the Boeing 777-200 to Seoul from Atlanta, FlightGlobal schedules show.

Delta configures its A350-900s with 306 seats, including 32 in business, 48 in premium economy and 226 in economy.
Its A330-200s have 234 seats, 747-400s 376 seats and 777-200s 291 seats.

With the A350, Delta joins American Airlines and United Airlines offering the latest generation of widebody aircraft. Its US mainline competitors both operate the Boeing 787 and have orders for the A350.

Delta chief Bastian cites competition with foreign carriers, including British Airways, Qantas Airways and Singapore Airlines, for driving the product improvements on the A350.

"We need to make certain our product, where we go internationally, is toe-to-toe and I think the A350 will be," he says.

Delta has 25 A350-900s on order, with 15 due by 2019 and the balance of 10 from 2021. The first aircraft will replace its seven remaining 747s with the balance used for expansion.

Rukes

The front page still gets no respect
Delta sucks though, last time I flew them my legs could not fit in "premium economy seats. 6 hours of agony. 6'8".

Delta does suck but I think you are confusing Premium Economy with Comfort+ economy seats, which are completely different.

Jeffrey

Surprised delta is getting new planes. They've been pretty stubborn about just upgrading old fleets. Don't think they have any 787 or a380 or other recent stuff.

I don't mind delta. Cheap tickets and pretty decent snacks

Link

The Autumn Wind
So similar to newer stadiums where they cater to the 1% while the rest of us fight for scraps.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Surprised delta is getting new planes. They've been pretty stubborn about just upgrading old fleets. Don't think they have any 787 or a380 or other recent stuff.

They are replacing the MD-80s with Bombardier C-Series jets as well.

So similar to newer stadiums where they cater to the 1% while the rest of us fight for scraps.
What are you talking about?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
A350 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dreamliner
I thought they were supposed to be similar - can you elaborate? Friend of mine, and her family finally had a chance to fly on 787, and they were amazed with how much better it was than a typical airplane. No weird pressure in the head or headache after a long flight (I know exactly what's she's referring to as I have the same problem most of the time - it's because of the low air pressure in the cabin), no dry nose, no need to cough due to low air humidity, which is typically a big problem for her.

The A350 is slightly wider and when both are configured for 9 seats per row you get more room. On the 787 it's like being crammed into a space smaller than an average municipal bus seat which let me tell you doing that for 12 hours fucking sucks.
It depends of the fleet,
Last time o took the dreamland bed was a JAL Flight and beforen ANA and I don’t remember being terribad (192cm fall but on the skinny side)
I think I took once a A350 but it was business so not comparable at all.

It depends of the fleet,
Last time o took the dreamland bed was a JAL Flight and beforen ANA and I don’t remember being terribad (192cm fall but on the skinny side)
I think I took once a A350 but it was business so not comparable at all.

It's not a legroom thing, it's a seat width thing. I'm skinny too but like my elbows need some space, and if you're sitting next to someone on the large side it can be pretty bad.

The A350's only a little bit wider but it's just enough to not feel super uncomfortable.

Jeffrey

I'm reading about the new premium selection seats.

Better meals, leg rest. Noise cancelling headphones. If this is priced reasonably, I might do this for long flights. Seems better than your typical economy+ stuff, but I'm betting it's gonna be a bit pricier.

Dingens

I thought they were supposed to be similar - can you elaborate? Friend of mine, and her family finally had a chance to fly on 787, and they were amazed with how much better it was than a typical airplane. No weird pressure in the head or headache after a long flight (I know exactly what's she's referring to as I have the same problem most of the time - it's because of the low air pressure in the cabin), no dry nose, no need to cough due to low air humidity, which is typically a big problem for her.

only ever flew with a 777 (6 times) and a 787 (4 times) on long-haul flights and... well I don't really get why people gush about the latter
it was quite a pain in the ass in many regards besides the already mentioned narrowness. I especially hated the window dimming thing, not only did it take a while to get dark and bright, but also was the cabin crew able completely restrict its use. Pretty awesome when you're tired as shit but they wont allow you to dim you fucking window

Jezbollah

RIP 4 engine widebody passenger jets. They're all going to be A330s, A350s, 787s and 777s

The A350 does look nice though, as does the 787.

Linkura

Dem biscoffs are the only reason to fly Delta when JetBlue exists. Unless JetBlue doesn't fly to where you need to go.

KodaRuss

I'm reading about the new premium selection seats.

Better meals, leg rest. Noise cancelling headphones. If this is priced reasonably, I might do this for long flights. Seems better than your typical economy+ stuff, but I'm betting it's gonna be a bit pricier.

I would bet a lot of damn money on it being more expensive.

danowat

Banned
I've flown on pretty much every wide body bar the A350, and the 787 kicks the stuffing out of everyone.

Look forward to flying on the A350 and checking it out.

Top Bottom