• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT3| When having no onions makes you cry

MrDaravon

Got Edea's BSB on my 100-gem pull fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yes

If I could get a goddamn FF8 Medica I'd actually feel okayish about my FF8 synergy, now I have Squall, Quistis and Edea BSBs, and Irvine/Seifer SSBs. Edea's BSB is pretty decent I think yes?

Kenai

I'm so glad i pulled on that banner. Dreamstage and Mighty Guard (I seriously don't remember when i got Mighty Guard, maybe on a xmas banner? I've never pulled on an 8 banner outside dollar pulls before now) along with Fujin BSB/SSB, Seifer's Death by Committee boostga, and Irvine breakdowns trashed all of the ultimates without breaking a sweat. Makes so much difference when you can RW a Wall and still do good dmg. Wish i could have fit in Squall since I have his mediocre BSSB (still a BSSB!) and his Enice jacket but whatever, didn't need!

Might actually be able to beat the mote Ifrit CM mission next time it rolls around. Could not do good dmg with a wall RW last time, Boostga + BSSBs should matter.

Yeah, just like the other en-combos, wrathing up two bars or using an entrust battery is the way to go there, imho. really depends on how close you are to capping with out the en-boost I think.

I figured, but I didn't want to be a jerk and experiment too much in the middle of the raid when i have other random people there trying to clear.Thx!

If I could get a goddamn FF8 Medica I'd actually feel okayish about my FF8 synergy, now I have Squall, Quistis and Edea BSBs, and Irvine/Seifer SSBs. Edea's BSB is pretty decent I think yes?

Grats! Iirc it's one of the best damaging Magic BSSBs since she has a self- Stitch in Time(?) effect that stacks with stuff like VoF and Sheesong, it's just not quite as well rounded as Palpalymo's and Maria's since it's Dark/Ice with no non-elemental safety net attached. Should help a lot on Irfit Mote CM at least.

colinp

Banned
I'm just getting into this and am wondering if there's any advice you guys have for me. Apparently there's an anniversary celebration coming up...? Should I hold off on pulling until then...? Is the White/Blsck Mage + Summoner to lvl 50 in the OP still good advice to follow?

Kenai

I'm just getting into this and am wondering if there's any advice you guys have for me. Apparently there's an anniversary celebration coming up...? Should I hold off on pulling until then...? Is the White/Blsck Mage + Summoner to lvl 50 in the OP still good advice to follow?

Right now, I'd focus on unlocking new characters. You get Cloud and Kain pretty quickly, but there's a FF8 event going on for a few more days that will nab you most of the cast from there.

Beyond that keep earning Mythril for 11 pulls since that guarentees you at least 1 5* (often more) which are powerful items with strong abilities. The 5*s you get should be characters who you prioritize on til you can get a team going, then build from that foundation.

The 2nd anniversary banner(s?) should have really good stuff on then for everyone, yea. But we don't actually know for sure what is on them yet. A Hastege/Boosta, Wall, and Medica Soul Break (various characters have them) are pretty necessary for clearing the harder content, but you can only RW one of them at a time. Don't worry about that too much for now, just getting someone who can heal + a team who can damage is good enough for now.

After that just save for the banners of characters you really like, or realms you need synergy for when doing the harder content, or both.

MrDaravon

Grats! Iirc it's one of the best damaging Magic BSSBs since she has a self- Stitch in Time(?) effect that stacks with stuff like VoF and Sheesong, it's just not quite as well rounded as Palpalymo's and Maria's since it's Dark/Ice with no non-elemental safety net attached. Should help a lot on Irfit Mote CM at least.

Rad, especially since I don't have Alph/Maria BSB's. For magic BSBs I now have this, Quisitis and Ashe (along with Rydia/Garnet on the Summoner BSB side).

very jealous! I've been on a pretty dry 100 gem run for awhile now, and I have 4 of the relics on this banner, so not worth risking a pull (4 ssb/uniqes, so not the high end stuff)

100 Gems got me a 3-star on B1 and a dupe Selphie SSB on B2. I'm pretty stacked for FF8 relics though, so I'm not too bothered and won't gonna spend any Mythril:
Squall's OSB
Squall's BSB
Quistis's En-Poison BSB
Quistis's Shellga + Hastega + Regenga SSB
Zell's Crit+ SSB
Zell's ATK/DEF/RES+ SSB
Selphie's Medica + Magic Blink SSB +
Edea's Faithga + Hastega Unique
Rinoa's Angel Wing Bolt Unique
Rinoa's Angel Wing Quake Unique
Irvine's 10 Hit Unique

I also have a bunch of generics:
Fujin's Chakram
Blitz Sword
Galbadian Elite Armor
Esthar Bracers
Ten-gallon Hat +++
Mesmerize Blade +++ x2

Balphon

It's the worst of the trio of BSBs with mag-scaling command 1s after Maria and Papalymo's but is still excellent. It's also the best en-ice SB in the game until Squall's second BSB comes around.

Kenai

Me - "Yay FF8 raids! Time to try out my shiny new Fujin gear and wreck som-"

Bahamut: "Immune to wind. Also Christmas is canceled"

Me: :'(

(I still used her cause non elemental. No regrets)

love the mage meta cms

rinoa osb, valefor dispel
edea meteor (hah, wtf) meltdown mako might-inaugural parade sb
fujin gust shellga jin sb (wind+mag dagger)
selphie curaja protecga dreamstage ssb
irvine full break power break hyper sniper ssb (pentabreak)
rw: cid raines used by edea twice (meltdown 30kx2 yes please)

boom

evangd007

3/11 - Exeter and 2 Sorceress Gowns which I already got on the lucky banner.

I just wanted something for Quistis. Or not dupes. I don't like getting dupes, especially twin dupes.

Kenai

Thank you!

Also, what does RW mean?

YW!

Sorry, RW is short for Roaming Warrior. It's those characters you get to use for free twice a dungeon when you battle. Since you can use their super good stuff for "free" (the summon copies their stats for the initial attack rather that yours) that will help a lot at the start (almost any BSSB can carry you through the lower level bosses as long as you can survive the attacks in the meantime).

It's hard to plan on what the gacha will give you, that's why i always recommend trying to collect as many characters as possible, since the SBs you get from the gear are almost always better than the baseline ones. Every time a realm event ends another has usually begin. FF12 is coming out in a few days with lots of nice loot from that realm, then a week or so later is FF7, and so on. Once you manage to get a BSSB or two of your own and the character to use it, it's a real game changer, even the "weak" ones.

WarAdept

3 pulls on Banner 1, 3/3 Fujin daggers.

I am bad at this.

Yeah as Adawg said, it's a mage dagger with +Wind (and a very high base of 130 Mag at level 20).

At 8* rarity, it's going to be a crazy realm agnostic mage weapon (since everyone can use Daggers). I'd kill to have that for my Ninjas/Alphinaud.

friz898

100 gem pull last night was 3 star trash again.

Squall was very easy. First time I had ever used a Darkness ability in a serious fight.

Biggs and Wedge not too hard wasn't I took them out at relatively the same time with Ruinga and Bladeblitz.

Unlocked MC3 for Penelo for our next event.

colinp

Banned
YW!

Sorry, RW is short for Roaming Warrior. It's those characters you get to use for free twice a dungeon when you battle. Since you can use their super good stuff for "free" (the summon copies their stats for the initial attack rather that yours) that will help a lot at the start (almost any BSSB can carry you through the lower level bosses as long as you can survive the attacks in the meantime).

It's hard to plan on what the gacha will give you, that's why i always recommend trying to collect as many characters as possible, since the SBs you get from the gear are almost always better than the baseline ones. Every time a realm event ends another has usually begin. FF12 is coming out in a few days with lots of nice loot from that realm, then a week or so later is FF7, and so on. Once you manage to get a BSSB or two of your own and the character to use it, it's a real game changer, even the "weak" ones.

Thank you!

Also, what's a BSSB? ;)

A +++ Wind Dagger can be incredibly useful for a Thief.

It could also be used on Ninjas, since it has high MAG (I think).

Yeah as Adawg said, it's a mage dagger with +Wind (and a very high base of 130 Mag at level 20).

At 8* rarity, it's going to be a crazy realm agnostic mage weapon (since everyone can use Daggers). I'd kill to have that for my Ninjas/Alphinaud.

I'm going to echo these sentiments. I'd augment it as well. Pretty awesome to have a baseline Mage weapon of 150+ mag useable by all for all realms including Sunday's and mondays.

friz898

Thank you!

Also, what's a BSSB? ;)

BSB/BSSB - Burst Soul Break, Burst Super Soul Break. Same thing.

There is Soul Breaks that are Unique or Shared. (One can use or more than one can use) then there is Super Soul Breaks that are generally stronger.

Then Bursts came out, where they usually hit something 6-12 times and leave the user in "Burst Mode" that generally grants haste and/or something else, while also giving them two extra commands instead of just normal attack and defense. (These commands are generally powerful).

Then Overstrike (OSB) came out, where it's generally 1 hit that goes over the dmg cap of 9999. Sometimes seeing hits of 99,999 with synergy and enemy weakness.

Soon something called USB is coming out. I generally don't read ahead, so google or someone here can tell you what's special about that, but there was an animated gif shown here last week of a USB and the character was doing multiple 40,000 dmg hits.

Usually for dmg, you'll select your RW to be an OSB or BSB unless you need your RW to be a Wall, Boostga/Hastega, or Medica or something.

Edit: To give you my own starter advice, as was said, there is no reason to use the "generic" characters at all. You can use a WHM or BLM if you need it until a real healer or magic dps comes along, but as soon as you do, drop the generics like a bad habit. You'll -never- use them again.

I leveled up all the characters in the game to their level caps, thus I have synergy for every realm. Based on my preference, I'd suggest you level up at least 5 in every realm as you go through acquiring characters. That can seem very overwhelming however, and I seem to be in the minority on this.

What most of the hardcore seem to do is create a specific team, generally a Melee team and a Mage team, and as was suggested to you, planned around what relics you've received.

Both methods work and both will drain your mythril.

Other tips that may have or may not have been shared:

1. Wed/Sat dailies have gil. Your need for gil will go up and down in this game, but you can find yourself suddenly broke. I didn't care about gil for nearly a year until some changes here recently.

2. Sunday is exp day. There exp here is truly worth it, and it is by far the most important daily. In my opinion, it's worth it to use mithril for stamina refresh on this day. However, as has been told to you before, truly focus on Realm dungeons to build up your stamina for now.

(these dailies are all about to change)

3. Drain abilities are strong in this game. Drain Strike, Drain, Drainga, and Leeching Leap are all very useful.

4. Ruinga is strong in this game. It's a 4star black magic that generally does at or close to 9999 on multiple mobs. This is perfect for trash leading up to a boss or for dailies. Flare and Holy and other single target black magic (except for Chain-gas) are not nearly as useful as in real Final Fantasy.

5. Your biggest hurdle on orbs will be Summon and Power. Especially Power. Every Power Orb you get is basically a godsend in this game.

6. As was told to you, RW will 'break' this game for you in the early stages. Most every boss you encounter will be 1shot (or close) by a RW.

7. Breaks and Breakdowns are very important in this game. So is shellga/protectga. I generally create my teams like Final Fantasy IV (since it's 5 characters). 1 tank, 1 healer, 1 melee dps, 1 blm or sum, then 1 support. (Not always of course).

8. Tyro is a love or hate character. Some people use Tyro in their perfect groups because he can do any/everything. Others shun him because his stats are nothing special at all. Once I had 5 named characters in every realm, I've never used Tyro again other than leveling him up. In my opinion, they should make it where Tyro has synergy in every realm.

9. Events: . Every time a new event comes out, it comes in two parts. Part 1 is the main part, and Part 2 is very elite. You'll not be able to complete Part 2 (also referred to as U+) for a long time. Don't ignore these at all, and go as far as you can every time. I ignored the events my first few weeks in the game, because I was focused on realm dungeons and figured I wasn't strong enough to do any events -- i didn't even look to see. Don't do what I did.

10. Relics/Relic Banners: If you get hooked and decide to use money in this game, the most common and arguably smart method is the '100 gem pull'. On the same day as those events, new relic banners are available. The first pull is always discounted at 100gems to pull. 100 gems roughly translates into 1 dollar. Oh also, don't forget you have a free pull everyday. 99% of the time it'll be 1 or 2 star equipment. Soon that will be trash for you. But 3/4/5 star equipment can drop. In over a year of playing, I have never pulled a 5 star piece, but have pulled a 4star twice, and a 3 star about 20 times or so. Very rare.

11. Gear: For now all gear is important. It won't be too long down the road that only 3star and above matter to you. Synergy makes a huge difference. It did not use to show synergy automatically like it does now. The difference does add up. If you're in a FF IV realm and you are using a Edge from FFIV with a FFIV katana/weapon, he will do much-much more damage than Tyro with a FF8 gear in the same FFIV dungeon.

Ok, I think that's enough for now. There's some valuable resources out on the net that all the hardcores have read at least once or refer back to. When you are ready for those, just ask. It can be information overload.

FFMafia

very jealous! I've been on a pretty dry 100 gem run for awhile now, and I have 4 of the relics on this banner, so not worth risking a pull (4 ssb/uniqes, so not the high end stuff)

I was in the same boat where I was on a dry spell for a while and as I clicked I just remembered the last two lucky pulls I haves pulled on I got squalls bsb on one and Zells on the other and said a screw it it's probably going to be a 3 or 4 star anyway and boom it turned out to be edeas burst lol. Happy cause it's that item but I kind of regret blowing my 100 gem luck on this banner just as I got zells bsb in the current lucky banner

Kain

Got a rainbow with my 100 gem pull! A party dress T_T

All the extra fights, CM and MP done. Easy stuff as I have a lot of synergy with VIII

Anyone who has not done the Bahamut multiplayer raid and is planning to do so remember that practically all of his attacks either ignore def/res buffs or ignore def/res entirely so leave wall at home, leave shelga at home but still bring keeper's tome if you have it because magic blink is king and the burst commands help provide more debuffs. You'll find in pub games not many players know this.

Ultimate+ party had two keepers tomes and Firion burst so we always had magic blink when we needed it which was really nice (even if my Vanille was stuck with nothing to do much of the time) while my Ultimate party (3 TG Cid, 2 Y'sholtla, 1 tyro then me with Minfilia and Vanille) which despite tyro having keepers tome still had to eat an Ultimate Megaflare (and boy does it hurt) because one of the Y'shtolas had used their Aetherial Pulse SB thankfully the TG Cids just brute forced the boss down after that so we didn't see a second one.

As far bonus battles go. Squall was over very quickly (but I found the debuff their buffs to be fun) and I'm suppose I'm lucky he never did <Draw & Junction Arise> counter (def buff) because I didn't bring any def debuff. On the other hand Raine's RW was the main source of damage so it would not have mattered. The Cid mission Grudge match I had Edea using Swiftspell while under memento mori and nearly ran out doom time

scy

A +++ Wind Dagger can be incredibly useful for a Thief.

It could also be used on Ninjas, since it has high MAG (I think).

Ah, yeah, I was planning on using Fujin long-term since my 100 gem pull nabbed her jacket. I was more amazed at getting the dagger first pull, talking myself into a second pull, and then all-in salty pull and managing to get full repeats. Relatively (~1 week) new player so more a lesson learned moment, at least it was with something useful out of it.

Now to make sure to not talk myself into other pulls while waiting for Anniversary. This will be fine.

Let's hope I get some useful stuff when I draw. Failed on a handful of attempts trying to beat loser league. Probably can do it now with a different strategy but some new items would be helpful considering I have all those characters at 80.

Havent beat a last battle since X.

Wazzy

Banned
With all of the VIII event completed including raids I'm going to go back to clearing out elites. I loved the Squall fight with MWTMG remix playing but geez they're so lazy with the sprites. They keep using Dissidia sprites rather than creating new ones for the single fights. They did the same with Tidus.

Rubenov

For multiplayer, I love being the one bringing the "it" factor for the specific fight. I play the 200 dungeon over and over because I find it fun, and I like to help people clear the events.

During the Garland fight, I brought Golbez, who would taunt the boss in order to eat all of his Ultimate Dispel rockets... oftentimes making the ultimate sacrifice so that the team could live.

For the current Bahamut fight, I'm using Sarah... she has party magic blink and I've become pretty good at timing it right to avoid the Megaflare.

As long as I don't get kicked out because of being lvl 80 or whatever, we're very likely to beat it every time.

Rubenov

Fuji's BSB extremely valuable in this MP fight as well.

Even if you miss the magic blink, you can survive a megaflare to the face thanks to her large debuff... megaflare will hit for about half potency allowing the party to survive and heal.

ccbfan

Just saved my party's ass with minfilla last stand and a well timed ysho bssb.

Megaflare did like 6k damage with wall, shellga, full break and magic breakdown. Wtf.

Just saved my party's ass with minfilla last stand and a well timed ysho bssb.

Megaflare did like 6k damage with wall, shellga, full break and magic breakdown. Wtf.

Megaflare is piercing so it goes right through your shell and wall. Magic Blink and debuffing him are the best ways to deal with the damage.

WarAdept

Cutting Winds, Soaring Lightning U+ CM

One of the easier CM's. Biggs and Wedge have low HP, Draw Fire/Gaia Cross neuters their ST attacks and we have (if you've been playing long enough) 3 medium resist accessories that resist both Fire and Lightning (just equip the other two with Major Fire and Major Lightning resist).

Tank Seifer yet again the MVP of FF8 CM fights (helps that I have his SB and SSB that increases the party's Resistance and Defence respectively) and with double healer, I was no danger whatsoever, even with Selphie's crappy Trabia Light as my only medica.

zHc5ghH.jpg

Cutting Winds, Soaring Lightning U++

I managed to scrounge up a survey and got enough money from Google Rewards to do a 100 gem pull, and nabbed Fujin's Dagger. Alphinaud was doing disgusting amounts of damage (like 4x 8.8k) on his Cmd 1, I wonder if it's worth the mag loss if I equip him with Bartz's Cloak for another +20% wind damage.

Apart from that, take Dr. Mog's advice and burn down Fujin then casually smack the other two silly.

82Fq6o9.jpg

evangd007

Beat U+! Got my first MC3!

The ragtag crew I used:

Edea/80/Time Crush
Vanille/65/Miracle Prayer
Greg/80/BSB
Ramza/80/Shout & Tailwind
Alph/65/Aerial Blast

RW - OK BSB

I had planned to fill Alph's slot with either Fujin or Quistis since I'd have their MC2 from the event, but my pulls on the banners failed to produce anything terribly useful. Alph did get to use Fujin's dagger though.

Rubenov

Megaflare is piercing so it goes right through your shell and wall. Magic Blink and debuffing him are the best ways to deal with the damage.

Yep, Wall is becoming increasingly obsolete for newer, higher-tier content.

BSBs that provide good debuffs is the way of the (near) future.

colinp

Banned
Ok, I think that's enough for now. There's some valuable resources out on the net that all the hardcores have read at least once or refer back to. When you are ready for those, just ask. It can be information overload.

Thank you! This all really helps a lot. Will definitely ask for help when I need it.

Edit: Meanwhile in Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8rppOt34Wc
Mortibody wants to absorb HP from Seymour but can't do anything due to being in stop status so the absorb fails but since Mortibody is still at no health it tries to absor...

With all of the VIII event completed including raids I'm going to go back to clearing out elites. I loved the Squall fight with MWTMG remix playing but geez they're so lazy with the sprites. They keep using Dissidia sprites rather than creating new ones for the single fights. They did the same with Tidus.
If they were going to use the sprites once they would not have made them and they can't use them in the DUs.

Like I said earlier all of Bahamuts attacks are piercing in some form either ignoring def/res buffs or ignoring def/res stat completely.

Heck, Dr.Mog actually mentions this (but at this point we're conditioned not to listen to what that fraud says) and suggests using the defend command against megaflare (not a bad idea given it has a one turn warning)...can't exactly do this while under burst :*(

What a crappy banner! They are really outdoing themselves with this one...
Its a good contender between which is worse that one or that Ultimate rematch dungeon one. Both suffer the same way, very outdated relics though I suppose this one has no uniques so pulls slightly ahead. In both cases we can say "is first fusion sword featured on banner?" "if yes, trash banner do not pull"

Wow, that is....something there. only if it were a free pull. I'd rather pull on the tyro selects, frankly. 4/14, wouldnt mind dupes even on the tyro book (I need one more to fully max out) but man, these are out of date cm use only.

Whenever I play multiplayer and I'm the only one using the emoji's part of my soul dies

Yeah, very under utilized, even the happy raiding and thumbs up ones. I probably use "..." too much, frankly.

edit: just got red mage's rm to drop, back to the bench for you until the next orb fest, if then. Now only waiting on my Ninja's and Matoya's to drop.

Top Bottom