• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

If you guys haven't touched their other games, especially the Penny-Arcade titles you should take a look. Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4 has an incredible soundtrack and sold gameplay.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Man this is tomorrow! Awesome! Look forward to getting my backer keys.

I got the double-pack, one for PS4 and one for Steam. I uh, should probably ask, any advantages to playing on one over the other that I'm not aware of? I imagine it runs smooth like butter on PS4, and I normally prefer couch + TV, so I thought of gifting my spare key to a friend who doesn't have a PS4.

And knowing it's short it should be fine before TiTS 3rd come out in May too. Now if I can only stop playing the DS3 DLC (curse my DS addiction) for a while...

Are... are you serious with this?
My thoughts exactly. What a breathtakingly inane comment, and I've been on this forum a few years now. xD I mean I didn't like the title much (I remember complaining during the Kickstarter campaign lol) but only because I thought it sounded a bit cheesy and didn't roll off the tongue so well, but this argument... uh, wow.

UCBooties

So how much does this game try to lean on humor, memes, and character pratfalls? I really don't have much patience for that kind of thing and it seems pretty endemic in modern games that are trying to be throwbacks to 16 bit RPGs.

I wish this didn't come out at the same time as Yooka-Laylee :(

Guess I'll have my gaming cut out for me for the next month or so between the two and any updates to Binding of Isaac that might come out.

Grisby

Pre-ordered on the PS4. Waiting till the vita version comes out to play though.

Looks great, congrats to the team!

Arkeband

Banned
My thoughts exactly. What a breathtakingly inane comment, and I've been on this forum a few years now. xD I mean I didn't like the title much (I remember complaining during the Kickstarter campaign lol) but only because I thought it sounded a bit cheesy and didn't roll off the tongue so well, but this argument... uh, wow.

I dunno, there's a Nier thread where you gave some hot takes yourself, but don't let me get in the way of your morning dogpile. I've already prefaced that it was just my opinion and gave reasoning, take a breath.

It got at least one meaningful behind-the-name response which was enough for me.

I really need to figure out which Humble account my preorder is associated with. Won't get around to playing it for a while though.

dawgparty

I'll probably check this out at some point, although the name has always seemed weird to me, like having a female protagonist is so in vogue now that they named the game itself "female protagonist in space".

I have basically nothing to go on as far as what the plot actually involves beyond that. Most other titles infer something, even Mighty No. 9 gives you a sense that you're going to find out about numbers 1-8 and maybe those past 9, and what makes 9 special.

What I'm getting at is I think the name kind of sucks. (sorry Rob)

Jesus christ.

I dunno, there's a Nier thread where you gave some hot takes yourself, but don't let me get in the way of your morning dogpile. I've already prefaced that it was just my opinion and gave reasoning, take a breath.

It got at least one meaningful behind-the-name response which was enough for me.
Such a victim :(

mrk8885

Banned
I'd love to play this on Switch, but if that doesnt end up happening i'll happily wait for the Vita verson. At this stage in my life, I only have time for RPGs if its in some sort of portable format.

Can't wait to play this!

Mudo

I am preordering this after work for PS4. I didn't kickstart it but have been anxiously waiting. That trailer from last year sent my hype to 100000000. I'm so excited to play this and thanks to the company for making a game like this in today's market. I hope it's an amazing success for you!!

Cornbread78

I want to buy and support but man, my backlog is already killer.

Best of luck to you in these final moments!

I am preordering this after work for PS4. I didn't kickstart it but have been anxiously waiting. That trailer from last year sent my hype to 100000000. I'm so excited to play this and thanks to the company for making a game love me this in today's market. I hope it's an amazing success for you!!

You can pre-order from the iOS/Android app, or the webstore as well ; )

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
May jump right into this, Nier still has the white screen crash issue as far as I know. I like a lot of the ideas in this game in theory so I'm interested in seeing them in practice.

Instro

Definitely won't have time to play at launch, even though I Kickstarter it. Too much in the backlog right now. Hope everything turns out well though, it looks great.

JPS Kai

When's the reviews dropping?

Have a week to wait I the UK so guess I can read all the impressions until then.

It sounds like PC reviews might go up first if backers are getting their keys already.

I'm going to try and fit some time in to play it later this week once I finished writing up my reviews on
The Silver Case and Aaero.

I'm very interested in playing this game at some point but I might have to hold off until I finish some of the other big titles on my list. Hopefully we'll have a Switch announcement by then. ;)

Happy to see some positive initial impressions.

Arkeband

Banned
Jesus christ.
The bolded is just a fact, I dunno what you want me to tell you, one of the developers just acknowledged that the name was chosen before the sudden surge in female protagonists we've all seen in the last year or two. It's absolutely trendy right now to have a female protagonist, if only to distinguish themselves from the enormous of buff dudebro protagonists.

My opinion on the title was solely on my perception that it was looking to move this smart marketing right into the branding, along with two other words that are synonymous, so my opinion was that the title is as descriptive and memorable as Space Guy.

Anyway stop fishing for responses, there's really no reason to keep this going.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I dunno, there's a Nier thread where you gave some hot takes yourself
Huh? That thread where people explicitly discuss those not playing the game and I said I'm one of them and gave perfectly reasonable explanations as to why? You're bringing this up, here, because...? o_O

slash000

Zeboyd Games
There's really no need to argue about the title, although it doesn't bother me to have it discussed (which was part of the reason for choosing the title, we just didn't anticipate this particular opinion on it).

For a Fun Zeboyd Fact, I can confirm that we settled on the game's title on February 20, 2012. Specifically via a back/forth email between Robert and myself. It reads:

"References to two classic Space RPGs (Cosmic Fantasy and Phantasy Star), clearly indicates what the game's about, hints at genre (heroine is typically used in RPGs), and when said aloud makes it sound like you're talking about space drugs. A winner all around."

Looking back I'm not even sure it hints at genre with the Heroine part per se but I've always rather liked our weirdo game names. I mean, can't be too surprised, right, after "Breath of Death VII: The Beginning," then "Cthulhu Saves the World," and taking on "On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness" and such.

Weird names are fun!

Shizuka

Can't wait to get the code for the game, I'll put Cosmic Star Heroine ahead of Persona 5 in order to get my review done as quickly as possible.

There's really no need to argue about the title, although it doesn't bother me to have it discussed (which was part of the reason for choosing the title, we just didn't anticipate this particular opinion on it).

For a Fun Zeboyd Fact, I can confirm that we settled on the game's title on February 20, 2012. Specifically via a back/forth email between Robert and myself. It reads:

"References to two classic Space RPGs (Cosmic Fantasy and Phantasy Star), clearly indicates what the game's about, hints at genre (heroine is typically used in RPGs), and when said aloud makes it sound like you're talking about space drugs. A winner all around."

Looking back I'm not even sure it hints at genre with the Heroine part per se but I've always rather liked our weirdo game names. I mean, can't be too surprised, right, after "Breath of Death VII: The Beginning," then "Cthulhu Saves the World," and taking on "On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness" and such.

Weird names are fun!
This stuff is fantastic, thanks for sharing! I'm sure it's nuts for you guys to think about that being 5 whole years ago...

Faustek

Sigh, I give up. Yes I get that it's hectic and stressful but every damn time the European release date isn't mentioned and this time I had to see it here on GAF. Not through the KS channel and yes I was that annoying fart that asked from time to time.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to it.

Jeffrey

Hopefully the load times are minimal. Love me some persona but my god it's just loading after everything!

Hope it does feel like a genesis snes era game with instant loads and 60fps.

Always hated "retro" games that still had load screens lol.

Hopefully the load times are minimal. Love me some persona but my god it's just loading after everything!

Hope it does feel like a genesis snes era game with instant loads and 60fps.

Always hated "retro" games that still had load screens lol.

There's an initial load screen before the title screen & a brief load when you load a saved game. Everything else is fast. I detest load times.

How difficult have you found combat balancing? Do you seek a lot of input when you work on a game like this? Does the match end up getting more and more complicated as you balance?

Gbraga

For some reason, after this discussion on the title, I now can only read it as Comic Sans Heroine.

Thanks, GAF.

Top Bottom