• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

Why are bike MSRPs so much cheaper in Canada versus the US? Even taking exchange rates into account, you're saving like 10-15% on Canadian bikes.

Da fuq.

edit: and tax rates, at least in some areas, don't compensate for it. In San Mateo county in the Bay, the tax rate is only a few percentage points less than in BC, Canada.

Had a good hour ride on the new s1000r over the weekend. I rode the last model and I was impressed but this new model it just feels like they have worked out all the small irritations.

It also comes with the auto blipper up and down as standard. The engine pulls like a tesla and the up and down shifts are instant. In 6th gear in the 30mph zones it does not splutter. The seating position is super nice as you sit almost inside the bike. The small little screen makes a massive difference.

If you do like the front end this will be a bike to be able to do track days, long days in the saddle and commuting to work.

TGNrJJk.jpg

Still chiping away at the stuff that's left to do on the FrankenBuell. This weekend we removed the Ulysses shifter and replaced it with the one on the Firebolt as the Uly setup was way too low (almost couldn't reach it from the Firebolt pegs), placed the 'Lightning XB12s' decal on the flyscreen, dismantled the clutch and brake controls (removed rust and applied fresh grease), we fitted the new handlebar clamp (which has a nice XB12s decal instead of the XB12x decal) and we replaced all the fluids (primary and engine oil + filter).

Left on the list:

- License plate holder
- Rear indicators
- Painting the new short rear mudguard
- Replace front brake pads

We also have to paint and do some repairwork on the original Buell race can we picked up. The exhaust that's on now is almost new and looks pretty as well. But the original race exhaust might be a bit more unique. We'll decide which one we're using after we've heard them both I guess.

Lol, no one can ever say Buells are boring :p

No, but if there's anything I've discovered since first riding a Buell 5 years ago, it's that all other bikes actually might be
speak_no_evil_monkey_hru7i.png

Nah, love all bikes :D, but I do have more love for some than others, that's for sure.

Yeah, it's pretty steep.
Maybe its just me, because some corners it feels rock solid but others don't.

I'm way out of my depth when it comes to the nuances of suspension setup - but the corners where it is not stable, are those a little more rough in terms of road surface? You could try a bit more rebound damping and a little less preload?

Had a good hour ride on the new s1000r over the weekend. I rode the last model and I was impressed but this new model it just feels like they have worked out all the small irritations.

Looks very nice. Already thinking of changing up though?

Stevey

Yeah I dont really understand all the settings, I just set them to what the manual says for my weight and leave them at that.
I mean I've never felt like I'm gonna crash it or anything.

Looks very nice. Already thinking of changing up though?[/QUOTE]

Its this problem I have. I was saying to the guys at the shop. I would be happy to not own a bike but to be able to ride one for 2000 miles and then swap to the next one. They just laughed.

It would be great to have two or even 3 bikes to cover off all the bit I would like to do but that is not going to fly with the missus.

Stevey

Yeah that factory default adjusted for weight should work pretty well. Though I heard British roads can get kinda rough now and then?

There's a shit load of potholes round where I live and the council do a shit job of fixing them so then there's gravel all over

It also comes with the auto blipper up and down as standard. The engine pulls like a tesla and the up and down shifts are instant. In 6th gear in the 30mph zones it does not splutter. The seating position is super nice as you sit almost inside the bike. The small little screen makes a massive difference.

If you do like the front end this will be a bike to be able to do track days, long days in the saddle and commuting to work.

TGNrJJk.jpg

I might see if someone has it available this weekend, as my dealers Street Triple RS demonstrator has been delayed. One of those 2 could well be my next bike.

Anyone have experience with the HJC RPHA11 helmet? In the market for a new lid and I havent had an HJC since I bought my first helmet (been a Shoei guy). Im kinda nerdly in love with this....

rpha11bobafett03.jpg

Anyone have experience with the HJC RPHA11 helmet? In the market for a new lid and I havent had an HJC since I bought my first helmet (been a Shoei guy). Im kinda nerdly in love with this....

I'm also a Shoei guy, unlikely that I'll ever switch to a different brand. Would visit a store to try the fit before considering buying it (this HJC for instance) as I feel that Shoei either reigns supreme in that regard or happens to be perfectly suited to my head.

I'm also a Shoei guy, unlikely that I'll ever switch to a different brand. Would visit a store to try the fit before considering buying it (this HJC for instance) as I feel that Shoei either reigns supreme in that regard or happens to be perfectly suited to my head.

This has been my feeling as well but Im open to other brands. Been considering the Bell Star as well, those seem like pretty nice helmets.

Stevey

rpha11bobafett03.jpg

I have a natural hate for HJC as it's what Jorge Lorenzo used to wear.
My current helemt is an AGV Corsa Rossi replica.

lbEyBEo.jpg

Scotch

And Lorenzo ditched HJC because he'd had some issues with his helmet in a couple of races. Go figure. ;)

I have a cheap HJC helmet so I can't comment on their more expensive stuff, but a friend of mine returned a HJC because it was way too loud at high speeds.

My current helemt is an AGV Corsa Rossi replica.

I used to own the top of the line AGV from a few years back...forget the model name, but I couldnt stand it. I didnt realize until I did a track day that the back of the helmet would actually rub on the suit in a tuck and it would actually move the helmet. Cant say anything about their newer stuff.

I have a cheap HJC helmet so I can't comment on their more expensive stuff, but a friend of mine returned a HJC because it was way too loud at high speeds.

My current helmet is the Shoei X-11 which is fairly noisy at speed, but I almost always wear ear plugs.

nico1982

Seem to remember he blamed the visor steaming up at Silverstone last year or the year before.
He didn't put on the "nose guard" on a rainy day and even walked in the box and sat down with the lid closed. Fogging-up 100% guaranteed.
It seemed a very deliberated move just to being able blaming something else but himself for the poor performances at that time. He's a great rider, if not the best of the paddock, but inconsistente, psicologically fragile and a whiny bitch.

They don't fit me, but it's a generally well-respected helmet. I think it's still HJC's best helmet they offer.

About 3 years ago I was really keen to get a helmet with an internal visor and the current Shoei's did not do them. I also tried on pretty much the whole shop and had no luck with comfort. The last one I tried on was the trusty Shoei and it was like a glove for me.

As the other said, go to a big shop and go and try on as many as possible then look online or ask them in the shop for a price match.

Stevey

He didn't put on the "nose guard" on a rainy day and even walked in the box and sat down with the lid closed. Fogging-up 100% guaranteed.
It seemed a very deliberated move just to being able blaming something else but himself for the poor performances at that time. He's a great rider, if not the best of the paddock, but inconsistente, psicologically fragile and a whiny bitch.

Yeah he's a good rider but a bad racer.
If he gets out in front he's ok but if he's in a pack of bikes he's awful, just look at last week.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Hello!

First time rider here.

Any riders from Canada (Ontario, specifically) got any pointers on picking an insurance company and motorcycle school?

I'm 25, the bike is a 1984 Honda Shadow and I have had a full auto license for 6 years now.

Any tips help! Thanks!

Hello!

First time rider here.

Any riders from Canada (Ontario, specifically) got any pointers on picking an insurance company and motorcycle school?

I'm 25, the bike is a 1984 Honda Shadow and I have had a full auto license for 6 years now.

Any tips help! Thanks!

What part of Ontario? I was with State Farm for a while before switching to All State. All State was the cheapest but I think you might have to be 30+ to use them.

Dougald

Nice man, its a place that I would still like to go and visit.

This was my wife's dream (and the reason I didn't buy that GS this winter as the pound still has some value). I recommend it if you can, Tokyo is fairly easy to get around if you have some very basic Japanese and know how to navigate public transport

Next time around it will be a biking trip though! I am thinking maybe renting a BMW in New Zealand in a year or two.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Welcome @Rapier, nice looking bike. Had to post a photo

zFICOC1.jpg

Yeaahh, she's a looker. Got that nice 80's square headlamp and everything.

Man, that bike is older than you, that's awesome!

I know! It was such a great experience picking it up. Drove 5 hours north just to grab it.

Guy had it in his garage hoping to turn it into a bobber but never go the funds.

Good starter bike I thought.
What part of Ontario? I was with State Farm for a while before switching to All State. All State was the cheapest but I think you might have to be 30+ to use them.

Brampton.

I know.

Bramladesh. Best place to ride a bike. Lool

Next time around it will be a biking trip though! I am thinking maybe renting a BMW in New Zealand in a year or two.
Let me know if you end up doing this. As a NZ native I might be able to give you some tips.

I'm heading back there in about 2 weeks and going to actually start working on my old 250 this time.

That looks like my Ikea wardrobe. It does make a difference to have all the stuff in one place. Also drive me nuts if I want to go for a ride and cannot find say my gloves.

Confession time since I've just been shamed by the wardrobe pic. Other than always wearing a helmet, I don't think I own or wear any "bike gear". I do wear sturdy red wing iron ranger boots when it's not too hot, but usually I just wear hightop leather sneakers or whatever. Jeans and t shirt, I own normal leather jackets for the cold but that's rare. It's a weird trade off between safety and comfort. I just don't see how riding could be enjoyable wearing all that in the summer or even spring here . Idk, I'm sure I'm in the minority but whatever tell me I'm an idiot idk. Maybe there's normal, or dare I say, fashionable looking gear, that's also good in hot weather, and protective, but I've yet to come across it. Only people super geared out in Az are the weird BMW guys.

Edit : super cool setup though, would def motivate me to get some thing to put in it

Confession time since I've just been shamed by the wardrobe pic. Other than always wearing a helmet, I don't think I own or wear any "bike gear". I do wear sturdy red wing iron ranger boots when it's not too hot, but usually I just wear hightop leather sneakers or whatever. Jeans and t shirt, I own normal leather jackets for the cold but that's rare. It's a weird trade off between safety and comfort. I just don't see how riding could be enjoyable wearing all that in the summer or even spring here . Idk, I'm sure I'm in the minority but whatever tell me I'm an idiot idk. Maybe there's normal, or dare I say, fashionable looking gear, that's also good in hot weather, and protective, but I've yet to come across it. Only people super geared out in Az are the weird BMW guys.

Edit : super cool setup though, would def motivate me to get some thing to put in it

Each to their own, but I've seen road rash from bike crashes...even at 30mph a road will tear your jeans & skin to shreds. My dad used to be a motorcycle cop and shared some horror stories (probably trying to scare me off bikes).

Check out the summer gear on Revzilla. You don't have to spend a fortune and can get great mesh jackets with surprisingly good protection. https://www.revzilla.com/summer-motorcycle-jackets

I can second that, its not worth falling off because someone else caused the fall or you go around a corner and hit some gravel from a farm truck mud.

I went down over the weekend on my EUC traveling at 30km/h and I damaged my ribs, angle, knee shoulder and elbow. That was riding with a helmet and mountainbike gloves and jeans. Its not fun and and everything takes long to heal.

Just Tokyo, but I'm heading home now, so hopefully the weather holds

I did see a beautiful classic V-MAX, but no picture of that I'm afraid

Man, I'm jealous. My gf and I wanted to go to Japan this year, but we are now planning to buy a house (yes, with a proper garage) and it might be wiser to not go on super expensive trips for a while.

How long were you there for?

Well, the one problem I had with the leather pants looking way too extreme for everyday use has been solved by the fairly fashionable Rev'it motorcycle jeans I got two years ago. But a nice leather jackets man that was designed for use on a motorcycle, those can look pretty damn great if you ask me. It's expensive as all hell, but there's good deals every now and then if you look around the internet or buy 2nd hand. And the style of motorcycle gear has come a very, very long way in the last 10 years. There's something for pretty much every specific look you can think of. It would have been a big part of the fun for me if I hadn't spent all my gear reserved cash on rare and out of production Buell jackets.

Srsly though, get some proper gear. It won't make you invincible (and not crashing in the first place is always the best option), but under certain circumstances, it can save you from some very painful shit.

Would be nice to get all the gear out of the house but dressing in our freezing garage is not super exciting. Ah Maine. Another 3-5in of snow expected tomorrow, should be the last hurrah of the season. At least I got to ride in twice this week. Having the new luggage is nice, don't have to take my helmet into the office/gym, can store my messenger bags without having to wear them while riding. Now to plan for some motocamping trips...

Scotch

Not even gloves? I feel naked riding without gloves. I've experienced firsthand (teehee!) that the first thing you'll instinctively do when falling is sticking out your hands to lessen the fall.

You can get kevlar jeans like others have already said.

Calling the BMW guys "weird" because they're geared up seems really shortsighted. But hey it's your funeral.

Yeah, I'm extremely annoyed when I see someone riding in a tshirt and no gloves. Maybe partially cause I'm jealous and also want to be dumb enough to be able to enjoy a refreshing breeze like that riding on a hot summer's day :p.

Go online and look at reviews, there is really good hot weather gear out there. Ive been on a ride where someone ate it wearing shorts and a tank top doing around 60mph.....its not pretty and I cant even imagine the recovery time. Ive ridden in 100 degree weather in a full race suit, its really not that bad. Most new suits are perforated and breathe extremely well.

Stevey

Mate, just don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dw5Ccsv-XA

I don't think there's any way to stay cool sitting still (including in T-shirt)...bikes put out too much heat, and if it's a warm day, you'll still get hot. Perforated leather is your friend.

edit: And if you don't want to do leather pants, look at kevlar reinforced jeans (Draggin Jeans is one of the more popular brands, but plenty of makers out there exist). The downside is you still won't have armor protection for your bones.

edit: And if you don't want to do leather pants, look at kevlar reinforced jeans (Draggin Jeans is one of the more popular brands, but plenty of makers out there exist). The downside is you still won't have armor protection for your bones.
Some of the Kevlar/aramid jeans do have armour. Like the Knox ones. Even my Rev'it jeans have removable armour in the knees and hips. The new Knox ones you can remove the armour from the outside (so you don't have to take the jeans off to remove it which is much more convenient)

Top Bottom