• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Golgo 13
Member
(11-11-2017, 10:43 PM)
Golgo 13's Avatar
That feeling when you beat Bowser and realize your playtime/enjoyment/journey with this game has just begun....
TheSpaceBetween
MyGoddamnEars
(11-12-2017, 07:30 AM)
TheSpaceBetween's Avatar
Down to the final four hint art moons. These are annoying as fuck. Might give in and use a guide finally.
Refreshment.01
Member
(11-12-2017, 10:51 AM)
Refreshment.01's Avatar

Originally Posted by hellishimp

Game is great but after 45 hours and 600 moons I am bored. Every world repeats similar set of challenges (race cup, rabbit, art, ground pound, 2 moons in every stage, etc)

I spent over 120 hours in BOTW before a similar feeling sunk in (barely collected any korok seeds though) but it felt far less repetitive.

Always got a smile from these comments when Breath of the Wild came out:

"After just 90/100/200 hours of constantly playing i just got enough of the game... it's too boring".

Originally Posted by wvnative

True but imagine how much easier special maneuvers would be if that shake command was just mapped to one of the duplicate face buttons?

We were talking about this. Nintendo tries to keep the control sheme workable with 3 buttons.

im not sure how much easy should be than shaking a single joycon for most manuvers. Pointing out the fact that "technically" the user has always the button available without needing to move the finger around, seems more easy for everyone than having to manage 2/3 extra buttons.

Originally Posted by gamerforever

I still think this is far behind super mario 64. Every level has the same bunch of things to do/ places to see like the bird thing, cap shop etc

I think its better than super mario sunshine, but its not the sequel to super mario 64 i was hoping for. That game had real magic and was a joy to play from start to finish. The moons are a bit too easy and feel like coins rather than anything special imo.

Not dictating what you should enjoy or what is better... but i just want to point out that 64 also had repeating activities and that was for a 120 star total against the 800 something of Odyssey.

Originally Posted by Jharp

Anyone else think the camera kinda... sucks?

Like, the game is pure joy and fun, but the camera gets in the way more often than it should.
It's so weird to be playing a game in 2017 with annoying camera issues. It's even weirder that the game is a staple Nintendo title.

No, the camera doesn't "suck".

Most 3D Mario's have done a very good job improving the camera over it's past games. The only exception to this rule would be Sunshine. Considering that it has more open levels than the Galaxy games the auto cam in this game does a very good job getting the optimal angle, quite impressive really.

Originally Posted by TheSpaceBetween

Down to the final four hint art moons. These are annoying as fuck. Might give in and use a guide finally.

These ones are more complex than the ones in Galaxy, aren't they?

It was a good decision to bring back these star/moonshine challenges. As well as the Sphynx quizes and the audiophile Toad activities. It meshes rather well with the adventure tone of 3D Mario games and drives players a little closer into the game's world.

Of course these type of activities have the disavantages of not been as engaging for a subsequent playthrough but in the end is better to have them than not.
tassletine
Member
(11-12-2017, 11:06 AM)
tassletine's Avatar

Originally Posted by Refreshment.01

Always got a smile from these comments when Breath of the Wild came out:

"After just 90/100/200 hours of constantly playing i just got enough of the game... it's too boring".


We were talking about this. Nintendo tries to keep the control sheme workable with 3 buttons.

im not sure how much easy should be than shaking a single joycon for most manuvers. Poiting out the fact that "technically" the user has always the button available without needing to move the finger around.


Not dictating what you should enjoy or what is better... but i just want to point out that 64 also had repeating activities and that was for a 120 star total against the 800 something of Odyssey.

It's more to do with the pace of the game and the challenge. It's the only problem I have with the game, it's not enough of an action title compared to the other Marios.
Mario 64 is fairly slow but that's because Nintendo were introducing the world to 3D controls (and camera). Just seeing that world rendered in 3D gave you a lot of enjoyment. I feel the same way about ARMS having played the last Punch Out. The game is obviously good but it's not fast paced enough for me.

I do think there is something seriously misjudged about any game this easy, that also has an additional easy mode. The last level is extremely difficult but there seems to be almost no levels that offer an intermediate challenge between average and extreme, which is what a lot of the other Mario's offer.
I'm not that happy with having to search to find that distraction only to find out there's no more platforming, just a room you have to walk into and collect a star. Mario is not a party game to me, I need my reactions tested goddamnit!
gamerforever
Member
(11-12-2017, 11:35 AM)
gamerforever's Avatar

Originally Posted by Refreshment.01

Always got a smile from these comments when Breath of the Wild came out:

"After just 90/100/200 hours of constantly playing i just got enough of the game... it's too boring".


We were talking about this. Nintendo tries to keep the control sheme workable with 3 buttons.

im not sure how much easy should be than shaking a single joycon for most manuvers. Pointing out the fact that "technically" the user has always the button available without needing to move the finger around, seems more easy for everyone than having to manage 2/3 extra buttons.


Not dictating what you should enjoy or what is better... but i just want to point out that 64 also had repeating activities and that was for a 120 star total against the 800 something of Odyssey.


No, the camera doesn't "suck".

Most 3D Mario's have done a very good job improving the camera over it's past games. The only exception to this rule would be Sunshine. Considering that it has more open levels than the Galaxy games the auto cam in this game does a very good job getting the optimal angle, quite impressive really.


These ones are more complex than the ones in Galaxy, aren't they?

It was a good decision to bring back these star/moonshine challenges. As well as the Sphynx quizes and the audiophile Toad activities. It meshes rather well with the adventure tone of 3D Mario games and drives players a little closer into the game's world.

Of course these type of activities have the disavantages of not been as engaging for a subsequent playthrough but in the end is better to have them than not.

Maybe i am looking at mario 64 through rose tinted specs and back then i was a novice gamer. I must say this is much better than the galaxy and 3d world games as it feels more like a proper adventure rather than a bunch of mini levels put together.
Toadthemushroom
Member
(11-12-2017, 12:56 PM)

Originally Posted by tassletine

It's more to do with the pace of the game and the challenge. It's the only problem I have with the game, it's not enough of an action title compared to the other Marios.
Mario 64 is fairly slow but that's because Nintendo were introducing the world to 3D controls (and camera). Just seeing that world rendered in 3D gave you a lot of enjoyment. I feel the same way about ARMS having played the last Punch Out. The game is obviously good but it's not fast paced enough for me.

I do think there is something seriously misjudged about any game this easy, that also has an additional easy mode. The last level is extremely difficult but there seems to be almost no levels that offer an intermediate challenge between average and extreme, which is what a lot of the other Mario's offer.
I'm not that happy with having to search to find that distraction only to find out there's no more platforming, just a room you have to walk into and collect a star. Mario is not a party game to me, I need my reactions tested goddamnit!

I’d also like to add that with Mario 64 there was a lot more mastery to the core controls which made just getting about in every level challenging and engaging.

Odyssey makes core movement very accessible and to-the-point which is also great, but it does mean that actually pulling off Mario’s core moves doesn’t require as much mastery - it’s how you use those moves.

I find Mario a lot more satisfying to control in 64 because of this. Nearly any platforming you do in the game is a result of hours of experimentation with the controls, whereas in Odyssey you only get this feeling when the level design allows you to pull off crazy stuff.

Two different approaches but I thought I’d mention that regarding how you felt about 64.
Refreshment.01
Member
(11-12-2017, 01:40 PM)
Refreshment.01's Avatar

Originally Posted by tassletine

It's more to do with the pace of the game and the challenge. It's the only problem I have with the game, it's not enough of an action title compared to the other Marios.
Mario 64 is fairly slow but that's because Nintendo were introducing the world to 3D controls (and camera). Just seeing that world rendered in 3D gave you a lot of enjoyment. I feel the same way about ARMS having played the last Punch Out. The game is obviously good but it's not fast paced enough for me.

Your mind is pretty much made about the game. i would like if you could substantiate the claims with something more solid to further continue the Odyssey discussion.

However, the ARMS statement is... i'll just leave this here:

https://youtu.be/-GTDDoM2o_k

https://youtu.be/zJkHMnvHerY

Those guys are playing the game with Thumbs Up grip. A fellow forumer, GoreMagala, is among the top 3 ARMS players. Watch some matches with him and tell us the game is not fast paced.
hellishimp
Member
(11-12-2017, 04:14 PM)
hellishimp's Avatar

Originally Posted by Refreshment.01

Always got a smile from these comments when Breath of the Wild came out:

"After just 90/100/200 hours of constantly playing i just got enough of the game... it's too boring".


We were talking about this. Nintendo tries to keep the control sheme workable with 3 buttons.

im not sure how much easy should be than shaking a single joycon for most manuvers. Pointing out the fact that "technically" the user has always the button available without needing to move the finger around, seems more easy for everyone than having to manage 2/3 extra buttons.


Not dictating what you should enjoy or what is better... but i just want to point out that 64 also had repeating activities and that was for a 120 star total against the 800 something of Odyssey.


No, the camera doesn't "suck".

Most 3D Mario's have done a very good job improving the camera over it's past games. The only exception to this rule would be Sunshine. Considering that it has more open levels than the Galaxy games the auto cam in this game does a very good job getting the optimal angle, quite impressive really.


These ones are more complex than the ones in Galaxy, aren't they?

It was a good decision to bring back these star/moonshine challenges. As well as the Sphynx quizes and the audiophile Toad activities. It meshes rather well with the adventure tone of 3D Mario games and drives players a little closer into the game's world.

Of course these type of activities have the disavantages of not been as engaging for a subsequent playthrough but in the end is better to have them than not.

Repetitiveness is repetitiveness even if you played the game for x number of hours (btw 45 hours is not 100 hours...). Besides, I felt generally satisfied with BOTW since I was actually doing exploration, sidequests and not just korok hunting (just whatever I stumbled on the way). In SMO I finished the campaign in.. 12 hours? And the rest was down to moon hunting and mostly repeating the same set of challenges in different kingdoms.

The kingdoms are TINY.
KiLLaDeZo
Member
(11-12-2017, 06:37 PM)
KiLLaDeZo's Avatar
Just got to the dark side of the moon... guess im near the end?
FlibbertiGibbet
Member
(11-12-2017, 07:03 PM)
FlibbertiGibbet's Avatar

Originally Posted by ajim

New donk is amazing. The festival and that whole segment I had a smile on my face like a little kid.

So phenomenal

Best moment in an otherwise relatively unmemorable game, especially compared to Galaxy 1 and 2 :-(
FlibbertiGibbet
Member
(11-12-2017, 07:06 PM)
FlibbertiGibbet's Avatar

Originally Posted by EtherMagic

Ok, here are my thoughts so far on this game...


Me and the wife are having a blast playing this over the past 3 days, we get/go well beyond what the Kingdoms ask as far as moons, but here is my personal issue with it...


Why, why, WHY would Nintendo put almost 900 moons in a game with 17 Kingdoms when each Kingdom only requires 10 to 20 moons to beat that Kingdom??? I got so frustrated at one point due to how eazy it was to get a moon, I asked my wife if she put the game on easy and she said she never messed with the menu options.

I just don't understand why they would put 60 to 90 moons in each Kingdom when you only need around 10 to 20 (depending on the Kingdom) to beat it?! Makes nooo Sense!


I seen a article online where someone beat Mario Odyssey in 90min and got an achievement for it!!!! Honest to God, back in 96' with Mario 64, there is NO WAY in hell you could beat that game in that time, simply ridiculous (fastest speed run in Mario 64 was around 2 hours, with a game 21 yrs old! This time was beat in 3 days with Mario Odyssey)!!!  Why is everything in general getting soooo damn soft these days??? Politics, video games, just everything!!! I wanna feel like i accomplished something after i beat these games, it's hard to feel that way anymore when these games are basically another version of some Welfare Government assistants!


Just sad. Great Game Nintendo, but this is a reason why gaming is getting less and less fun. Too many developers making games where everyone gets a trophy 🏆


Final thought...


Mario Odyssey is supposed to be the direct sequel to Mario 64 for N64, but it feels less (MUCH less) Satisfying simply because of the ratio of moons per Kingdom per how many you actually need to beat each Kingdom. I'm actually really shocked this game got such high scores with reviewers. Do reviews these days not base there scores off of a challenge aswel? In Mario 64 there were only 121 stars in a game just as long, if not longer, so whats the deal with almost 900 moons? It use to feel soooo special to get a Star, these moons are a Joke.









.

I agree.
TheSpaceBetween
MyGoddamnEars
(11-12-2017, 08:45 PM)
TheSpaceBetween's Avatar
Uh, am I missing something here (post game spoilers). The Bowser painting you unlock after collecting all main moons, what is the point of this? Is it just a slightly more difficult battle? That's it?. And then when you get to 999 moons... Fireworks??? That's it? What is this E3 2013?
EuropeOG
Member
(11-13-2017, 12:26 AM)
EuropeOG's Avatar
What are the big metallic looking cubes? Is it story related or some amiibo shit?
ChuyMasta
Member
(11-13-2017, 03:37 AM)
ChuyMasta's Avatar

Originally Posted by EuropeOG

What are the big metallic looking cubes? Is it story related or some amiibo shit?

Post game. Beat bowser to unlock them
Bakkus
Member
(11-14-2017, 10:06 PM)
Bakkus's Avatar
Song number 27 is the only one I lack, i've read it's 'Jump Up superstar' in Japanese and the way you unlock it is throwing your hat at any of the speakers where Pauline is singing. Well, I've tried it at both the last level and the festival now on every speaker but to no avail. Can anyone help?
Andyliini
Member
(11-15-2017, 06:34 AM)
Andyliini's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bakkus

Song number 27 is the only one I lack, i've read it's 'Jump Up superstar' in Japanese and the way you unlock it is throwing your hat at any of the speakers where Pauline is singing. Well, I've tried it at both the last level and the festival now on every speaker but to no avail. Can anyone help?

I got it by throwing my hat at the radio in Mushroom Kingdom. Or at least I think I got it from there, as that's where I first heard the tune.
Bakkus
Member
(11-15-2017, 04:04 PM)
Bakkus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andyliini

I got it by throwing my hat at the radio in Mushroom Kingdom. Or at least I think I got it from there, as that's where I first heard the tune.

Ah yes I've found out that's how you're unlocking it (did it myself on New Donk City's radio), so now i've 100% completed the game. Every Moon in every level, bought my way up to 999 moons, every purple coin, every purchasable things from those coins, every hat and costume, every enemy capture and every song!
MrBlonde
Member
(11-15-2017, 05:56 PM)
I just bought a Switch this week and playing this with the wife. I haven't played a Mario game in years other then a couple levels with my step son on the Wii U 3d World. I wasn't loving it the first night but last night we had some fun....Is there a way to see how many moons are left in a world after you hit the required amount? We have found a few extra in the Sand World but not sure how many there are left since the outline isn't there like the required ones.

I hope the Switch gets a true Co Op Mario game like 3D World in the future, my wife is not loving controlling the cap and I get it, I have offered for her to take control of Mario but she hasn't yet.
sloppyjoe_gamer
Member
(11-15-2017, 06:08 PM)
sloppyjoe_gamer's Avatar

Originally Posted by MrBlonde

I just bought a Switch this week and playing this with the wife. I haven't played a Mario game in years other then a couple levels with my step son on the Wii U 3d World. I wasn't loving it the first night but last night we had some fun....Is there a way to see how many moons are left in a world after you hit the required amount? We have found a few extra in the Sand World but not sure how many there are left since the outline isn't there like the required ones.

I hope the Switch gets a true Co Op Mario game like 3D World in the future, my wife is not loving controlling the cap and I get it, I have offered for her to take control of Mario but she hasn't yet.

Yes, pull up the map and then hit Y i think to bring up the list of moons for the world. It shows the ones you have and spaces for the ones youre missing.
MrBlonde
Member
(11-15-2017, 06:46 PM)

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe_gamer

Yes, pull up the map and then hit Y i think to bring up the list of moons for the world. It shows the ones you have and spaces for the ones youre missing.

thanks
cereal_killerxx
Junior Member
(11-16-2017, 04:00 PM)
cereal_killerxx's Avatar
800 moons in! I'm about to start Dark Side. The idea of fighting all the Broodals in a row seems overwhelming.
oliverandm
Member
(11-16-2017, 09:23 PM)

Originally Posted by cereal_killerxx

800 moons in! I'm about to start Dark Side. The idea of fighting all the Broodals in a row seems overwhelming.


Took me 4 attempts. Certainly not bragging, because I am raging at other things in the game :P
ChuyMasta
Member
(11-16-2017, 10:18 PM)
ChuyMasta's Avatar

Originally Posted by oliverandm

Took me 4 attempts. Certainly not bragging, because I am raging at other things in the game :P


I cant get past tge second broodal :(
jmoe316
Member
(11-16-2017, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by ChuyMasta

I cant get past tge second broodal :(

I haven't tried it yet but if you want to make it easy on yourself, apparently you can backtrack to the entrance of the caves and one of the stems has the 6 heart bonus and you can keep going back for it between each boss.
Liliana Eileen
Member
(11-16-2017, 11:45 PM)
Liliana Eileen's Avatar

Originally Posted by jmoe316

I haven't tried it yet but if you want to make it easy on yourself, apparently you can backtrack to the entrance of the caves and one of the stems has the 6 heart bonus and you can keep going back for it between each boss.

Why didn't I know this yesterday?
oliverandm
Member
(Yesterday, 12:01 AM)

Originally Posted by ChuyMasta

I cant get past tge second broodal :(

I stacked up on health before entering and took their attacks into consideration, knowing that gravity impacts the fight. Really, only the fight with Topper is the one where gravity is a handicap, because when he slams you with all his hats, it can be a little tough to get away quickly, so don't stand to close to him and just spam Cappy! I will admit I was lucky with my last hit on Robobrood, because that was just evil haha.
ajim
Member
(Yesterday, 12:03 AM)
ajim's Avatar
Post bowser has some damn difficult moons and challenges! The game really turned it up to 11/10!

So awesome
ChuyMasta
Member
(Yesterday, 12:10 AM)
ChuyMasta's Avatar
Thanks for the tips!

Originally Posted by Liliana Eileen

Why didn't I know this yesterday?

I know! My confidence is back!
czk51
Member
(Yesterday, 01:45 AM)
czk51's Avatar

Originally Posted by jmoe316

I haven't tried it yet but if you want to make it easy on yourself, apparently you can backtrack to the entrance of the caves and one of the stems has the 6 heart bonus and you can keep going back for it between each boss.

definitely investigating this. Edit: found it. The trick was to keep my hat spinning for 3 seconds (I had to look it up elsewhere) \

And to confirm, I just beat the first boss, ran back out and did the trick again.

Thanks!!!!!!
edwardslane
Member
(Yesterday, 02:02 AM)
Beat the game with about 300 Moons, Now the post game begins.. Gotta say I loved it and def my favorite mario since mario 64. Great game!! and still lots left to explore!

hard to justify any game being a 10 but this is damn close.
ciD_Vain
Member
(Yesterday, 06:37 AM)
ciD_Vain's Avatar

Originally Posted by ChuyMasta

I cant get past tge second broodal :(

I used Amiibos for hearts between battles
AtomicShroom
Member
(Yesterday, 06:45 AM)
AtomicShroom's Avatar

Originally Posted by ciD_Vain

I used Amiibos for hearts between battles

As for me I backtracked to the Odyssey between each battle. Entering the Odyssey replenishes your health! Wish I had know about the hidden 6 heart.
ChuyMasta
Member
(Yesterday, 07:16 AM)
ChuyMasta's Avatar
I only need 9780 coins to 100% this sucka! Right on time for Skyrim!!!


The power moons on the dark side are BS!

The darkest side moons is right there with champions run!
Andyliini
Member
(Yesterday, 07:29 AM)
Andyliini's Avatar
I only have one power moon to get, the one from the Darker Side. I did not have too much trouble with those on the Dark Side, but this one makes me pull my hair out. I'm going to try to finish it this weekend, so hopefully my nerves last that long.

And then I need to find a place where I can farm some coins for the rest of the costumes and Power Moons.
Toadthemushroom
Member
(Yesterday, 11:46 AM)

Originally Posted by ChuyMasta

I only need 9780 coins to 100% this sucka! Right on time for Skyrim!!!


The power moons on the dark side are BS!

The darkest side moons is right there with champions run!

I managed to eventually clear the Darkest side, which I rather enjoyed, but the Dark Side really does have some tough challenges.

The remixed void level that removes the Scooter (you'll know the one) is more frustrating than challenging. You've got to be incredibly precise and exacting.
witchedwiz
Member
(Yesterday, 12:13 PM)
witchedwiz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Refreshment.01

Your mind is pretty much made about the game. i would like if you could substantiate the claims with something more solid to further continue the Odyssey discussion.

However, the ARMS statement is... i'll just leave this here:

https://youtu.be/-GTDDoM2o_k

https://youtu.be/zJkHMnvHerY

Those guys are playing the game with Thumbs Up grip. A fellow forumer, GoreMagala, is among the top 3 ARMS players. Watch some matches with him and tell us the game is not fast paced.

ehrm..
sorry, but I tried the game and I found it really.. shallow..
the game seemed more about aiming and timing rather than being focused on mechanics, oth, hit-stun, hit-confirming.. from my point of view, it's almost more of a shooter with a limited size "area" (the ring//arena//stage) than a real figthing game...
but to each his own i guess :)
is it fun? yeah, but that's it.... but if I'm looking for a proper fightning game, I don't play arms..
again, this is my opinion ;)

that being said, I'll go back to my mario game!

Thread Tools