• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Tizoc
Member
(01-07-2017, 12:25 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Yeah
I am playing Kyrandia 1 and have gotten to the Serpent Cave.
I've placed Fireberries as I kept making my way thru this stupid ass maze and now I seem to have gotten stuck where there is always a dark cavern which I always die in.
I think I'm gonna drop the game at this point and go into Kyrandia 2 =_=

EDIT: Welp found a guide and I managed to get on the right track. Gonna tr and finish this dang game tomorrow.

Mazes
Who the fuck thought THESE WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA IN A PNC GAME?!
WERE THESE PEOPLE INTO TORTURE PORN IN THE 90S?!?!
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(01-07-2017, 01:37 AM)
mattiewheels's Avatar
Kyrandia 1 was famous for it's incredible level of polish....but aside from the iconic villain Malcom, I can't remember a thing about that game. One thing it has going for it is it was one of the original streamlined adventures, where every action is a mouse click, and that makes it feel kind of modern.
Tizoc
Member
(01-07-2017, 08:44 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Well just beat Kyrandia 1.
Did the game even give HINTS to solving some of the puzzles like the potion mixing or the order of placing items in one of the final chambers?

Didn't enjoy the game much TBH. It has a few decent stuff in it but it had way too many needless areas that made navigation pretty confusing at times =_=.
Sloane
Banned
(01-07-2017, 08:49 AM)
Sloane's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

Well just beat Kyrandia 1.
Did the game even give HINTS to solving some of the puzzles like the potion mixing or the order of placing items in one of the final chambers?

I don't think so, if I remember correctly. Second one is much better though.
Tizoc
Member
(01-07-2017, 08:54 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sloane

I don't think so, if I remember correctly. Second one is much better though.

Gonna start it later on after I play some A. Creed Rogue.

Really refreshing actually getting off my lazy ass and playing my backlog by doing the 50+ game challenge :P
Dandy Lyin
Member
(01-07-2017, 11:16 AM)
Dandy Lyin's Avatar
I loved the Kyrandia games so much, though they did have some low points... The maze in 1, and a "Tower of Hanoi" puzzle in 2 :P
gforguava
Member
(01-07-2017, 11:25 AM)
gforguava's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dandy Lyin

I loved the Kyrandia games so much, though it did have some low points... The maze in 1, and a "Tower of Hanoi" puzzle in 2 :P

That "Tower of Hanoi" in part 2 is monstrous, the way the scene is presented(at an angle and the way the stacks are enclosed) makes the whole thing way more frustrating than the puzzle actually is.
purseowner
Member
(01-07-2017, 02:30 PM)
purseowner's Avatar
Great thread that reminds me how much I love this genre.

This was the first gaming genre I ever played, and many P&Cs are some of my favourite games (Sam & Max, Broken Sword, etc.), but I haven't played a new one on PC in years, instead gravitating towards VNs and narrative puzzle games.

I'm browsing through my Steam library - which of these should I start with (and what other masterpieces have I missed?)?

Dropsy
Kathy Rain
The Inner World
Tizoc
Member
(01-07-2017, 03:33 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by purseowner

Great thread that reminds me how much I love this genre.

This was the first gaming genre I ever played, and many P&Cs are some of my favourite games (Sam & Max, Broken Sword, etc.), but I haven't played a new one on PC in years, instead gravitating towards VNs and narrative puzzle games.

I'm browsing through my Steam library - which of these should I start with (and what other masterpieces have I missed?)?

Dropsy
Kathy Rain
The Inner World

Dropsy is some lsd ish
So either stRt that or save it for last
I liked kathy rain more than inner world so personally i recommend saving best for last
Boem
Member
(01-07-2017, 03:48 PM)
Boem's Avatar
Great list in here. Looking forward to a lot of these.

Question: What's that Dropsy update? I have the game in my Steam library but I haven't actually started it yet. Does the update improve the main game or is it a separate story or something? Wondering whether I should wait until the update hits or if I can play it now and have some more story in a couple of months.
ubique
Member
(01-07-2017, 03:54 PM)

Originally Posted by purseowner

(and what other masterpieces have I missed?)

Try out the Amanita Design games if you haven't
Sir_Crocodile
Member
(01-07-2017, 04:35 PM)
Sir_Crocodile's Avatar

Originally Posted by purseowner

Great thread that reminds me how much I love this genre.

This was the first gaming genre I ever played, and many P&Cs are some of my favourite games (Sam & Max, Broken Sword, etc.), but I haven't played a new one on PC in years, instead gravitating towards VNs and narrative puzzle games.

I'm browsing through my Steam library - which of these should I start with (and what other masterpieces have I missed?)?

Dropsy
Kathy Rain
The Inner World

Haven't had time to play The Inner World, but I'd go with Kathy Rain first, as it's short and the puzzles aren't too tough, so it's a good'un to ease you back into the genre.

Dropsy I'd wait on, as there's an update to the game coming this month.

As for what you've missed, that's hard to say without knowing what you've played, but these are my favourite P&C games that released after the genre "died":

Ben There, Dan That & Time Gentleman Please
Primordia
Blackwell series (5 game series, first 4 are available in a bundle)
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Technobabylon
Touch Detective
Touch Detective 2 ½
Shadowgate (2014)

Ben there Dan That & Time Gentleman Please are two absolutely hilarious british p&c's, the funniest in the genre since the golden age of lucasarts, in my opinion the funniest since Day of the Tentacle.

Primordia, Technobabylon & the Blackwell games are more seriously tonally (Primordia is set in a dystopian future, Technobabylon is cyberpunk while the Blackwell series are paranormal mysteries), and are all superbly scripted.

The Book of Unwritten Tales is a fantasy p&c with multiple characters. Probably the highest budgeted game here. Falls apart a bit at the end ( I suspect they ran out of money), but it's a phenomenal ride while it lasts.

The Touch Detective games are charming and somewhat surreal DS P&C games. Puzzles can sometimes be a bit obtuse, but the writing's so good I kind of give them a pass.

Shadowgate - quite different to the other games on my list so may not be your thing - remake of a classic first person point & click where death lurks behind every ill advised "use x with x" experiment

Originally Posted by Boem

Great list in here. Looking forward to a lot of these.

Question: What's that Dropsy update? I have the game in my Steam library but I haven't actually started it yet. Does the update improve the main game or is it a separate story or something? Wondering whether I should wait until the update hits or if I can play it now and have some more story in a couple of months.

All we know is it adds a new area. I'll be interested to see if he deals with my only criticism of the game (4 different "times" being a bit exhausting to search through in every area to see if things change) or leaves it as-is.
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(01-07-2017, 07:31 PM)
mattiewheels's Avatar
Whoa, Milkmaid is pretty great so far. Shocked that just one guy made it.
purseowner
Member
(01-07-2017, 07:34 PM)
purseowner's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

Dropsy is some lsd ish
So either stRt that or save it for last
I liked kathy rain more than inner world so personally i recommend saving best for last

Originally Posted by ubique

Try out the Amanita Design games if you haven't

Originally Posted by Sir_Crocodile

Haven't had time to play The Inner World, but I'd go with Kathy Rain first, as it's short and the puzzles aren't too tough, so it's a good'un to ease you back into the genre.

Dropsy I'd wait on, as there's an update to the game coming this month.

As for what you've missed, that's hard to say without knowing what you've played, but these are my favourite P&C games that released after the genre "died":

Ben There, Dan That & Time Gentleman Please
Primordia
Blackwell series (5 game series, first 4 are available in a bundle)
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Technobabylon
Touch Detective
Touch Detective 2 ½
Shadowgate (2014)

Ben there Dan That & Time Gentleman Please are two absolutely hilarious british p&c's, the funniest in the genre since the golden age of lucasarts, in my opinion the funniest since Day of the Tentacle.

Primordia, Technobabylon & the Blackwell games are more seriously tonally (Primordia is set in a dystopian future, Technobabylon is cyberpunk while the Blackwell series are paranormal mysteries), and are all superbly scripted.

The Book of Unwritten Tales is a fantasy p&c with multiple characters. Probably the highest budgeted game here. Falls apart a bit at the end ( I suspect they ran out of money), but it's a phenomenal ride while it lasts.

The Touch Detective games are charming and somewhat surreal DS P&C games. Puzzles can sometimes be a bit obtuse, but the writing's so good I kind of give them a pass.

Shadowgate - quite different to the other games on my list so may not be your thing - remake of a classic first person point & click where death lurks behind every ill advised "use x with x" experiment



All we know is it adds a new area. I'll be interested to see if he deals with my only criticism of the game (4 different "times" being a bit exhausting to search through in every area to see if things change) or leaves it as-is.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

I've played the Amanita games, Ben There, Touch Detective, but yet to try Blackwell despite owning all of them.

Shall wait on Dropsy as suggested. Kathy Rain so far is a very comfy game - instantly reminiscent of Revolution Software.
inm8num2
Member
(01-07-2017, 07:37 PM)
inm8num2's Avatar
A couple new youtube videos.

Review - Kathy Rain

ADG Episode 201 - The Dig
RAIDEN1
Member
(01-07-2017, 07:59 PM)
RAIDEN1's Avatar
"Ancient DOS games"??! Dig wasn't exactly made in 1995 B.C!!
The Illiterati
Member
(01-08-2017, 05:17 AM)
The Illiterati's Avatar
I thought I'd repost this from my list in the 52 games thread. I am going adventure game crazy. I seem to take a year off between each marathon and then there's still tons of releases old and new for me to gorge on(unlike those very lean early 2000s!).

My January so far has been a marathon of adventure games. Something about this time of year makes me want them. I may be breaking that chain soon though.

1. Kathy Rain / 4 hrs

This was a good start to the year, however it was shorter than I expected and more supernatural than I would have liked.

2. Blackwell Unbound / 2 hrs
3. Blackwell Convergence / 3 hrs
4. Blackwell Deception / 3 hrs
5. Blackwell Epiphany / 4 hrs

So strangely then I went to the most supernatural adventure series and finally beat all the remaining Blackwell games(I beat Legacy years ago) These really did improve with each title, and in such quick succession the open plot elements from game to got solved quicker than it would've been in real time. Very satisfying and the last game was the best of all.

6. The Last Door season 2 / 6 hrs

I really enjoyed season 1 of this, and this was even better, IMO. The puzzles are 99% easy, but the sound design and music make the atmosphere the number one draw here. Such a good representation of "lovecraft-like" horror.

7. The Silent Age / 2 hrs

Twas fine for the dollar I paid. Not too memorable.

8. Anna's Quest / 7 hrs

This was quite good and a solid adventure. I did enjoy the story for the most part.

9. Dead Synchronicity: Tomorrow Comes Today / 5 hrs

Now this is the most depressing adventure game I think I've played since The Cat Lady. I didn't enjoy the puzzles here too much, but the setting and story were pretty unique and there were many memorable scenes, some for the entirely wrong reasons. You do some despicable things in this game, and then you do some even worse things which are not really even acknowledged by the game itself. The final segment with the character Rose contains one of the most bafflingly repugnant actions by the main character, which could have been entirely avoided and the game doesn't seem to recognize that.
Tizoc
Member
(01-08-2017, 09:24 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar
I'm surprised that there were PnC games released during the 90s that didn't tell you what an item is when you hover over them.
I always thought that was standard in the genre from playing LucasArts games.
Tizoc
Member
(01-08-2017, 11:55 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Right then almost done with Kyrandia 2, then it's on to Kyrandia 3.
Will post my impressions once I'm done.

EDIT: My GOG Backlog consists of around 10 or so PnC games I hadn't played yet. Gonna replay Sam and Max and Tales from Monkey Island too I guess :3
Sir_Crocodile
Member
(01-08-2017, 11:58 AM)
Sir_Crocodile's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

I'm surprised that there were PnC games released during the 90s that didn't tell you what an item is when you hover over them.
I always thought that was standard in the genre from playing LucasArts games.

Hey, Broken Age didn't have them just the other year. Sometimes devs just make stupid decisions.
Tizoc
Member
(01-08-2017, 12:05 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
So here is a quick partial list of games I hope to complete this year from my GOG backlog.
The ones with question marks are ones I may have downloaded or owned on Steam

King of Dragon Pass
ToonStruck
Driftmoon
Lionheart
D
Albion
Larry Sail
Call of Cthulhu
Consortium?
Starship Titanic
Reemus
Police Quest
little big 2
Indiana Jones?
Still Life?
Broken sword 1+2
Tex Murphy
Return to Mysterious
Critter Chronicles
Fahrenheit remake
New beginning
Edna and Harvey
Sanitarium
Simon duology
Zork GI
qUEST FOR Glory series
Myst series?
Machinarium
Lure of Temptress
Teen Agent
Dragonsphere
Gabe Knight 3

Note to self: Download blackwell series again

Yeah yeah some of them aren't PnC, I just accidentally wrote them in there by mistake :V
wilco
Junior Member
(01-08-2017, 09:40 PM)
wilco's Avatar
You need to play Sanitarium and Zork: Grand Inquisitor if you never played them, some of the best in the genre
BluWacky
Member
(01-08-2017, 11:09 PM)
BluWacky's Avatar
Over the festive period I played Randal's Monday.

Don't play Randal's Monday.

Only Deponia has produced such levels of loathing for every single character in a game before.

(also it has some dumb puzzles, as so many "comedy" adventures do)

It's nice technically and all, but... seriously. Just don't.
ctw0e
Member
(01-09-2017, 12:36 AM)
Speaking of Deponia ... is it any good?
PurpleMoustache
Member
(01-09-2017, 05:23 AM)
PurpleMoustache's Avatar

Originally Posted by ctw0e

Speaking of Deponia ... is it any good?

Allow me to go on my little Deponia rant:

Yes, by all design philosophies, Deponia is a good point and click adventure game. It has solid puzzles that make sense (for the most part), modern conveniences like highlighting all interactable objects in a scene, the ability to skip mini-game like puzzles (you just miss out on an achievement), and options for how to access the inventory. It's a marvel on how to make, adapt, and adjust a point and click adventure game to make it more accessible for modern audiences.

I gotta complain about everything else though. The translation... is rough. I believe (I may be wrong though) that it's the same German voice actors doing English, which is fine, but inflections are all over the place, putting the emphasis on the wrong syllables or words, which drives me up the wall. Phrases and sentences are all over the place in translation. Character dialogue between characters seems fine, but throwaway dialogue seems strange.

For example: you turn on the faucet, and grey goo pours out in an un-watery way. Rufus, the main character, says "Ugh. What gnat's piss". This makes no sense, in our out of universe.

It's also appallingly sexist. Rufus, the main character is an asshole and gets treated as such, especially by his ex-girlfriend who he constantly makes snide comments about her "bitchyness" and attitude. The second game in the series, where I stopped because I was so grossed out, is an entire game with a central puzzle that's just a really elaborate joke about women's emotions and mood swings.

Also apparently the ending of the trilogy pissed everybody off, but I wouldn't know, I quit out of disgust.
Knurek
Member
(01-09-2017, 07:36 AM)
Knurek's Avatar

Originally Posted by PurpleMoustache

It's also appallingly sexist. Rufus, the main character is an asshole and gets treated as such, especially by his ex-girlfriend who he constantly makes snide comments about her "bitchyness" and attitude. The second game in the series, where I stopped because I was so grossed out, is an entire game with a central puzzle that's just a really elaborate joke about women's emotions and mood swings.

Also apparently the ending of the trilogy pissed everybody off, but I wouldn't know, I quit out of disgust.

This is a series where you lead a group of babies to a pedophile cave.
And one where you force a person of color to be an organ grinder’s monkey.
Frankly, it's more deserving to be on GAF's banned list than some of the titles already there.
I played and liked Stick of Truth, but Deponia was simply too much for me.
Bookman
Member
(01-09-2017, 07:38 AM)
Bookman's Avatar
Has anyone tried the milkmaid of the milkyway?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/544970/
Tizoc
Member
(01-09-2017, 04:36 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Gave up on Kyrandia 3 and I was just nearing the end.
Having played the entire series I personally think they have not aged well at all.
The puzzles are for the most part just given to you without (m)any ingame hints about how to solve them.

While I think a Kyrandia game could be made nowadays, i'd rather it adheres to the many QOL stuff that the genre has gotten in the past years.
ubique
Member
(01-09-2017, 04:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Bookman

Has anyone tried the milkmaid of the milkyway?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/544970/

We're too scared of the rhymes to try it
basic_text
Member
(01-09-2017, 04:59 PM)
basic_text's Avatar

Originally Posted by BluWacky

Over the festive period I played Randal's Monday.

Don't play Randal's Monday.

Only Deponia has produced such levels of loathing for every single character in a game before.

(also it has some dumb puzzles, as so many "comedy" adventures do)

It's nice technically and all, but... seriously. Just don't.

My sentiments exactly. I think I lasted a whole 20 minutes before uninstalling it.

Originally Posted by Bookman

Has anyone tried the milkmaid of the milkyway?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/544970/

Originally Posted by ubique

We're too scared of the rhymes to try it

I grabbed the iOS version and have been enjoying it so far.
It looks pretty but there really isn;t much depth to it so far. Just the usual one tap does everything simplicity.
Jay Tholen
Junior Member
(01-09-2017, 07:05 PM)
Jay Tholen's Avatar
It's looking like the Dropsy update is going to be late again. It's being worked on actively now, we just aren't going to make it by the end of January. Possibly Feb now I'd say. Sorry folks, we're just doing this out of love for the game and aren't making dough on it. :S

It adds a beach area consisting of a few scenes, a desert scene, and a few scenes near the funky area to the west with the obelisks. There will be a new line of puzzles to play through in these scenes with new NPCs, and a few NPCs that were barely/not interactive before will be fleshed out. There are a few other additions that I don't want to spoil.

Originally Posted by Sir_Crocodile


All we know is it adds a new area. I'll be interested to see if he deals with my only criticism of the game (4 different "times" being a bit exhausting to search through in every area to see if things change) or leaves it as-is.

There will be more beds so you're able to change the time more readily, but I'll talk to the team and see if we can figure out other ways to alleviate that. There are small changes I'd like to make to some of the earlier puzzles if we can squeeze those in.
Tizoc
Member
(01-09-2017, 07:29 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Candle worth getting at its current discount of 15% (on Steam).
Sir_Crocodile
Member
(01-09-2017, 08:02 PM)
Sir_Crocodile's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jay Tholen

It's looking like the Dropsy update is going to be late again. It's being worked on actively now, we just aren't going to make it by the end of January. Possibly Feb now I'd say. Sorry folks, we're just doing this out of love for the game and aren't making dough on it. :S

It adds a beach area consisting of a few scenes, a desert scene, and a few scenes near the funky area to the west with the obelisks. There will be a new line of puzzles to play through in these scenes with new NPCs, and a few NPCs that were barely/not interactive before will be fleshed out. There are a few other additions that I don't want to spoil.



There will be more beds so you're able to change the time more readily, but I'll talk to the team and see if we can figure out other ways to alleviate that. There are small changes I'd like to make to some of the earlier puzzles if we can squeeze those in.

Sounds great!
Tizoc
Member
(01-09-2017, 10:15 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
So I just beat Lilly Looking Through


It's a simple PnC adventure game about a little girl who must save her brother who was kidnapped by a red scarf. She eventually gets goggles that let her TRAVEL THROUGH TIME!!!!!
The controls are very simplistic as you merely click on the screen or tap to perform actions where possible.
There is a button to indicate interacable objects.
There is minimal dialog as it is just Lilly progressing through screens to catch up to her brother and save him.
The final puzzle was a little tricky esp. with the color altering needed to resolve areas.
Still it was a nice 2-3 hour game, with the biggest issue being that due to the animations the game will feel slow to progress since you can't skip movement or action animations like in older PnC games.

Non the less Is trongly recommend trying out the game as it is pretty light and the music is pretty calm.
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(01-10-2017, 01:25 AM)
mattiewheels's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bookman

Has anyone tried the milkmaid of the milkyway?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/544970/

I'm almost done with it on iPad, and it's been pretty brilliant so far. The one thing people seem to always bring up, the rhyming dialogue, is well done. To the point that I couldn't picture playing it without it. The game itself is for the most part a frictionless experience, up until the final parts, but the polish and soul put into the game reminds you of old Lucasarts efforts. It's pretty lean and mean in that respect, since it's obviously a smaller scale experience, but I'd recommend it to anyone who remembers Loom fondly.

And I could totally see this being episode one of a series, I just wonder if the creator can do it all himself and get a new episode out anytime soon.
I just completed Kings Quest Reboot. All in all the game was great and the game had a lot of feels. I didn't like chapter 4 much because it overstayed its welcome and had way too many puzzles.

Hope Full Throttle comes out soon!
Sendero
Member
(01-10-2017, 05:25 AM)
Sendero's Avatar
Thanks for those mini reviews. I'm also planning to get back to the genre, and this thread hit at the perfect time. Interested on Unavowed, Hero-U, TSIOQUE, Mage's Initiation and Lamplight City. Neither is listed here, but I'm also eyeing State of Mind and Agony (not sure how much of "Adventure" will be, though). Finally, never played Full Throttle, so can't wait.


For now, which one would you recommend more?

*The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
*Quest for Infamy
*The Dig

Inclining towards the 2nd, but would like another opinion.
BluWacky
Member
(01-10-2017, 11:47 AM)
BluWacky's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sendero

Thanks for those mini reviews. I'm also planning to get back to the genre, and this thread hit at the perfect time. Interested on Unavowed, Hero-U, TSIOQUE, Mage's Initiation and Lamplight City. Neither is listed here, but I'm also eyeing State of Mind and Agony (not sure how much of "Adventure" will be, though). Finally, never played Full Throttle, so can't wait.


For now, which one would you recommend more?

*The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
*Quest for Infamy
*The Dig

Inclining towards the 2nd, but would like another opinion.

Based on the fact that you're interested in Hero-U and Mage's Initiation, Quest for Infamy is very much in a similar vein as those. Arguably, though, the better recent "Quest for Glory"-esque game (and one that's free!) is Heroine's Quest.

Dark Eye is good, if a little "stilted" in terms of dialogue at times. I think The Dig is excellent, but am aware this is not always the majority opinion on it!
Tizoc
Member
(01-10-2017, 01:48 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
I'm playing Chains of Satinav atm. I think I'll go straight into Memoria after finishing it.
Pretty simple PnC and I have an idea of the plot so far as well as its setting.
Zweisy1
Member
(01-10-2017, 02:38 PM)

Well just beat Kyrandia 1.
Did the game even give HINTS to solving some of the puzzles like the potion mixing or the order of placing items in one of the final chambers?

Didn't enjoy the game much TBH. It has a few decent stuff in it but it had way too many needless areas that made navigation pretty confusing at times =_=.

I remember really enjoying it at the time it came out, largerly thanks to that Westwood polish, lovely art by Rick Parks and brilliant OST by Frank Klepacki.
In retrospect it is a very flawed game.. Some puzzles were pretty much just trial and error and for example the infamous dungeon just feels tacked on to make the game longer.

The second Kyrandia is much better and a truly great point & click adventure. Definitely worth playing through. The game just oozes charm and the puzzles are much better than in the first game.

The third one I actually liked less than the original.. it has some brilliant parts such as the very first act of the game but its just filled with tedious sections..

All in all, Blade Runner is the best adventure game Westwood ever made but the second Kyrandia is damn good as well.
Sendero
Member
(01-10-2017, 02:51 PM)
Sendero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

I'm playing Chains of Satinav atm. I think I'll go straight into Memoria after finishing it.
Pretty simple PnC and I have an idea of the plot so far as well as its setting.

Originally Posted by BluWacky

Based on the fact that you're interested in Hero-U and Mage's Initiation, Quest for Infamy is very much in a similar vein as those. Arguably, though, the better recent "Quest for Glory"-esque game (and one that's free!) is Heroine's Quest.
Dark Eye is good, if a little "stilted" in terms of dialogue at times. I think The Dig is excellent, but am aware this is not always the majority opinion on it!

I already have Memoria, but yeah, for some reason I want to play some light Quest-RPG type first.

Completely forgot about Heroine's one! Think will go with that one, and later either go with Infamy or The Dig. Thanks for the comments.
Tizoc
Member
(01-10-2017, 02:54 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zweisy1

I remember really enjoying it at the time it came out, largerly thanks to that Westwood polish, lovely art by Rick Parks and brilliant OST by Frank Klepacki.
In retrospect it is a very flawed game.. Some puzzles were pretty much just trial and error and for example the infamous dungeon just feels tacked on to make the game longer.

The second Kyrandia is much better and a truly great point & click adventure. Definitely worth playing through. The game just oozes charm and the puzzles are much better than in the first game.

The third one I actually liked less than the original.. it has some brilliant parts such as the very first act of the game but its just filled with tedious sections..

All in all, Blade Runner is the best adventure game Westwood ever made but the second Kyrandia is damn good as well.

I agree, Kyrandia 2 does feel better than 1 and overall the best game in the series.
My ranking is Kyrandia 2>1>3

Gotta play Blade Runner someday somehow though ;p
ubique
Member
(01-10-2017, 04:02 PM)
Despite you guys urging me not to, I gave Broken Sword: SOTT Director's Cut a try out of curiosity

The writing's pretty bad and trying hard, and failing, to emulate the humor of the original; every new voice actor sounds like Tommy Wiseau; the character models appear out of scale when compared to one another (the mime at the beginning has a gigantic head, at least 50% larger than Nico's, but looks normal in Gibbons' pathetic portrait); the portraits and the added cutscene art look insanely ugly and are in stark contrast to the game's original style; the puzzles are laugh out loud bad (two obtuse slide-the-rectangles puzzles for the same door, holy shit)

I also kinda hate how blurry and soft the old content looks, it's like they used bilinear filtering to scale it so it would blend with the new stuff a little

I don't like it
Tizoc
Member
(01-10-2017, 04:40 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by ubique

Despite you guys urging me not to, I gave Broken Sword: SOTT Director's Cut a try out of curiosity

The writing's pretty bad and trying hard, and failing, to emulate the humor of the original; every new voice actor sounds like Tommy Wiseau; the character models appear out of scale when compared to one another (the mime at the beginning has a gigantic head, at least 50% larger than Nico's, but looks normal in Gibbons' pathetic portrait); the portraits and the added cutscene art look insanely ugly and are in stark contrast to the game's original style; the puzzles are laugh out loud bad (two obtuse slide-the-rectangles puzzles for the same door, holy shit)

I also kinda hate how blurry and soft the old content looks, it's like they used bilinear filtering to scale it so it would blend with the new stuff a little

I don't like it

Sir_Crocodile
Member
(01-10-2017, 04:43 PM)
Sir_Crocodile's Avatar

Originally Posted by ubique

Despite you guys urging me not to, I gave Broken Sword: SOTT Director's Cut a try out of curiosity

The writing's pretty bad and trying hard, and failing, to emulate the humor of the original; every new voice actor sounds like Tommy Wiseau; the character models appear out of scale when compared to one another (the mime at the beginning has a gigantic head, at least 50% larger than Nico's, but looks normal in Gibbons' pathetic portrait); the portraits and the added cutscene art look insanely ugly and are in stark contrast to the game's original style; the puzzles are laugh out loud bad (two obtuse slide-the-rectangles puzzles for the same door, holy shit)

I also kinda hate how blurry and soft the old content looks, it's like they used bilinear filtering to scale it so it would blend with the new stuff a little

I don't like it

Just wait till you get to the part where they're using newly done voice acting and the old stuff that they couldn't redo in tandem. The old stuff sounds like it was done in a broom closet when they're side by side. Bad decisions in this Director's Cut from top to bottom.
Tizoc
Member
(01-10-2017, 09:27 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
I'm at the final chapter of Chains of the Satinav but I'm gonna finish it off tomorrow.
It's not that bad a PnC but it doesn't really stand out much to me. Hope I'd like Memoria more.
Knurek
Member
(01-10-2017, 09:47 PM)
Knurek's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

It's not that bad a PnC but it doesn't really stand out much to me. Hope I'd like Memoria more.

It stands out a lot more if you compare it to other Daedalic games.
added_time
Member
(01-10-2017, 11:05 PM)
added_time's Avatar
I just bought the newest Humble Bundle. It includes Day of the Tentacle Remastered but I already own that game.
If anyone that has posted in this thread wants that game, just send me a private message and I'll give it to you.
tquinta
Junior Member
(01-11-2017, 05:24 AM)
tquinta's Avatar

Originally Posted by mattiewheels

I'm almost done with it on iPad, and it's been pretty brilliant so far. The one thing people seem to always bring up, the rhyming dialogue, is well done. To the point that I couldn't picture playing it without it. The game itself is for the most part a frictionless experience, up until the final parts, but the polish and soul put into the game reminds you of old Lucasarts efforts. It's pretty lean and mean in that respect, since it's obviously a smaller scale experience, but I'd recommend it to anyone who remembers Loom fondly.

And I could totally see this being episode one of a series, I just wonder if the creator can do it all himself and get a new episode out anytime soon.

Came here to post exactly this. Great little relaxing game. I would recommend it to anyone who is on the fence about getting it.

Getting that Loom vives too.
The Illiterati
Member
(01-11-2017, 08:12 AM)
The Illiterati's Avatar
So I guess I'm pretty stupid for waiting to play Read Only Memories until now, and then not realizing there's a Director's Cut Update releasing next week. I'm in chapter 4, so I guess I'll just finish, but that's really irritating!

Thread Tools