• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

PurpleMoustache
Member
(01-19-2017, 03:45 AM)
PurpleMoustache's Avatar
Finished Milkmaid of the Milkyway. Had to look up a few things, though when I did, it was largely due to the artwork not being clear enough. Or the writing.

The rhyming gimmick is fun, but often in order to be stylish or work in prose the descriptions of key puzzle elements are left unexplained. Either you use all your items on everything until a thing works, or you look it up, and then things become more obvious.

Very fun, great story, and I do recommend it, but with the caveat that it's own selling point becomes a curse.

(also the perspective in the art is ALL over the place. And the main character is chunky pixels while everything else is much much higher detail which feels weird.)
Tizoc
Member
(01-19-2017, 06:46 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Randy Monk

BS4 was really janky. I can't believe how badly programmed it was until later when I realised the game was co-developed by Revolution and Sumo digital. I avoided all Sumo games after that. They kinda redeemed themselves with Sonic Racing Transformed.

Woah hold it right there
Sumo made fhe excellent outrumt 2006 so if anything sumo didnt have the knack for pncs at thr time bu their other output is solid
Karak
Member
(01-19-2017, 08:00 PM)
Karak's Avatar

Originally Posted by inm8num2

Karak (ACG) did a nice interview with the developer of The Slaughter Act One. I played that a few months ago and enjoyed it. Pretty good writing and a very good sense of humor to go along with the Victorian London setting.

Interview link



Yea, that seems like a logical interpretation of the riddle given the story of Memoria. Although, I still wonder to what conclusion a person must arrive to pass into the tomb. Maybe they have to know and accept the risks of using Malakkar's mask. Maybe Sadja passed through not just because she was illiterate, but also because she was so determined to achieve greatness and be a legend at almost any cost. So the scarab is like an insignificant creature (human) and the stone is the mask. The scarab may rule over the stone (a person may use the mask's powers), but in turn the stone may similarly rule over the scarab (e.g. owning the user's memories). Neat.

edit - Dave Gilbert (Wadjet Eye) has done some streams of his games recently, including one for Blackwell Epiphany earlier today.

Hey man thanks for posting the interview. I had a blast doing it and Alex is a good indicator of success that can happen by completing your own project. We hinted about it because of his NDA but in maybe 2-3 months he will be able to talk more about how doing Slaughter opened some serious doors for him
ubique
Member
(01-20-2017, 04:17 AM)
ubique's Avatar
The second part of Broken Sword 5 feels like some kind of parody of point and click adventure games that Rockstar Games would put in a computer in Grand Theft Auto. The writing gets insanely bad, I wanted to fall asleep whenever someone talked for more than ten seconds

There was a visual gag or some kind of attempt at humor every minute, always aggressively unfunny. Hours of cringing

The puzzles started getting really annoying, especially the ones you had to look at maps or documents to solve, but that could be because I stopped caring about the story so it just felt like unpaid work. Some of the puzzles that involved combining inventory items with themselves or with the environment would be used as examples of things that killed the genre if the game had come out in the late 90s. Combine a paper clip with strawberry jam, and then combine the result with a cockroach inside a matchbox, and then combine the result with some circuits or whatever. Jesus Christ

That "let's create a religious experience" musical puzzle was probably the worst part of the franchise to me. Just the sheer idiocy of that whole thing made my blood boil. I can just imagine the developers having a good laugh while they brainstormed the brilliant idea

Oh and the nostalgia baiting got really tiring with old characters showing up everywhere, I mean George must think he's living in a nightmare world by now right, with always the same people popping up no matter where he goes

Man these past few days have not been easy when it comes to adventure gaming
inm8num2
Member
(01-20-2017, 04:17 AM)
inm8num2's Avatar
Thimbleweed Park Ransome Trailer

Originally Posted by Karak

Hey man thanks for posting the interview. I had a blast doing it and Alex is a good indicator of success that can happen by completing your own project. We hinted about it because of his NDA but in maybe 2-3 months he will be able to talk more about how doing Slaughter opened some serious doors for him

My pleasure. It's always nice to see those kinds of success stories, especially for point-and-click devs. I'm looking forward to The Slaughter Act Two and whatever else Alex might have on the horizon.
Slaythe
Member
(01-20-2017, 04:32 AM)
Slaythe's Avatar

Originally Posted by ubique

The second part of Broken Sword 5 feels like some kind of parody of point and click adventure games that Rockstar Games would put in a computer in Grand Theft Auto. The writing gets insanely bad, I wanted to fall asleep whenever someone talked for more than ten seconds

There was a visual gag or some kind of attempt at humor every minute, always aggressively unfunny. Hours of cringing

The puzzles started getting really annoying, especially the ones you had to look at maps or documents to solve, but that could be because I stopped caring about the story so it just felt like unpaid work. Some of the puzzles that involved combining inventory items with themselves or with the environment would be used as examples of things that killed the genre if the game had come out in the late 90s. Combine a paper clip with strawberry jam, and then combine the result with a cockroach inside a matchbox, and then combine the result with some circuits or whatever. Jesus Christ

That "let's create a religious experience" musical puzzle was probably the worst part of the franchise to me. Just the sheer idiocy of that whole thing made my blood boil. I can just imagine the developers having a good laugh while they brainstormed the brilliant idea

Oh and the nostalgia baiting got really tiring with old characters showing up everywhere, I mean George must think he's living in a nightmare world by now right, with always the same people popping up no matter where he goes

Man these past few days have not been easy when it comes to adventure gaming

Play Blade Runner or The X-Files to wash the taste off !
Dandy Lyin
Member
(01-20-2017, 12:00 PM)
Dandy Lyin's Avatar

Originally Posted by inm8num2

Thimbleweed Park Ransome Trailer

This looks so great! I really hope Thimbleweed Park leads to Ron Gilbert pumping out adventure games for the rest of his life.
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(01-20-2017, 02:05 PM)
mattiewheels's Avatar
The Detail is free on iOS for a bit. It looks pretty damn good.
Tizoc
Member
(01-20-2017, 02:09 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Play Blade Runner or The X-Files to wash the taste off !

WAit whoch xfiles adventure game?
basic_text
Member
(01-20-2017, 02:11 PM)
basic_text's Avatar

Originally Posted by inm8num2

Thimbleweed Park Ransome Trailer



My pleasure. It's always nice to see those kinds of success stories, especially for point-and-click devs. I'm looking forward to The Slaughter Act Two and whatever else Alex might have on the horizon.

Maaaaaaaaaaan, I can't wait!

Nice Zak Mckraken reference in the circus crowd too ;)
Slaythe
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:17 PM)
Slaythe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

WAit whoch xfiles adventure game?

There's only one.
Very Berry Sunday
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:37 PM)
I'm looking to play some Point & Click Adventure games.

What games are highly recommended?

I love Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Grim Fandango.

Also, what recently released titles (2000-2017) are highly recommended? I liked Broken Age.
Vargavinter
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:40 PM)
Vargavinter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Very Berry Sunday

I'm looking to play some Point & Click Adventure games.

What games are highly recommended?

I love Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Grim Fandango.

Also, what recently released titles (2000-2017) are highly recommended? I liked Broken Age.

I would recommend Monkey Island 1 & 2 Remakes if you haven't played those.
Slaythe
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:45 PM)
Slaythe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vargavinter

I would recommend Monkey Island 1 & 2 Remakes if you haven't played those.

Er....

The remakes are an insult. Play them for the Voice acting in old school mode but that's about it...

I'd recommend Resonance.
Boem
Member
(01-20-2017, 11:59 PM)
Boem's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Er....

The remakes are an insult. Play them for the Voice acting in old school mode but that's about it...

I'd recommend Resonance.

Eh, while they did get all the right voice actors for the different roles, I don't think voice acting fits those games. The jokes were never meant to be read out loud, they are way funnier when you just read them. With voices it turns way more into this saturday morning cartoon vibe - which fits the later games as they were designed for them, but in the earlier games it turns awkward more often than not. Especially in 1, where they had not figured out yet how to fix the awkward pauses between each sentence. There's no sense of timing at all.

For the true spirit of the games I'd say to go with the originals every time. If you can, the original originals (although I'd go with the 256 color version instead of the earlier version of 1). They are technically included in the special editions, but they are full of mistakes (messed op colours, missing animations, glitchy music, missing sound effects). The new art of the special editions doesn't match the originals at all, although the second game is better in that regard. Still, the originals are classics (and still beautiful if you can stand pixel art).

Luckily the Double Fine remakes of Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle are far better. I wish they could have done the Monkey remakes as well, but you can't have everything.
Tizoc
Member
(01-21-2017, 12:01 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slaythe

There's only one.

The psone game you mean?
Slaythe
Member
(01-21-2017, 12:03 AM)
Slaythe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

The psone game you mean?

The pc game. I think the Psone game might be a port.

But it's obviously much better on pc.
Slaythe
Member
(01-21-2017, 12:05 AM)
Slaythe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Boem

Eh, while they did get all the right voice actors for the different roles, I don't think voice acting fits those games. The jokes were never meant to be read out loud, they are way funnier when you just read them. With voices it turns way more into this saturday morning cartoon vibe - which fits the later games as they were designed for them, but in the earlier games it turns awkward more often than not. Especially in 1, where they had not figured out yet how to fix the awkward pauses between each sentence. There's no sense of timing at all.

For the true spirit of the games I'd say to go with the originals every time. If you can, the original originals (although I'd go with the 256 color version instead of the earlier version of 1). They are technically included in the special editions, but they are full of mistakes (messed op colours, missing animations, glitchy music, missing sound effects). The new art of the special editions doesn't match the originals at all, although the second game is better in that regard. Still, the originals are classics (and still beautiful if you can stand pixel art).

Luckily the Double Fine remakes of Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle are far better. I wish they could have done the Monkey remakes as well, but you can't have everything.



I mean I'm weirded out by this post.

You are clearly a fan and pay attention to detail.

Yet you're satisfied with Dott's remaster and are not ALARMED at how outrageous the full throttle remaster is looking.

I kinda scratch my head at that.
Paragon
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:37 AM)
Paragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slaythe

I mean I'm weirded out by this post.
You are clearly a fan and pay attention to detail.
Yet you're satisfied with Dott's remaster and are not ALARMED at how outrageous the full throttle remaster is looking.
I kinda scratch my head at that.

As someone that hasn't played the originals of these games and just picked up the Day of the Tentacle remaster in a Humble Bundle for $6, what's wrong with it and the Full Throttle remaster?
Should I be seeking out the old versions of these games?

Originally Posted by Boem

For the true spirit of the games I'd say to go with the originals every time. If you can, the original originals (although I'd go with the 256 color version instead of the earlier version of 1). They are technically included in the special editions, but they are full of mistakes (messed op colours, missing animations, glitchy music, missing sound effects). The new art of the special editions doesn't match the originals at all, although the second game is better in that regard. Still, the originals are classics (and still beautiful if you can stand pixel art).

Is there a consensus on which is the "definitive" version of these games?
I played through The Secret of Monkey Island on an Amiga originally - right up to reaching the island, at which point I couldn't proceed any further because disk 4 was bad.
I later picked up a boxed collection with 1 & 2 on CD, which is the version of those games (particularly the soundtrack) that's burned into my brain.
I agree that the new art in the special editions is pretty bad - worse than I remembered - and is not the way I'd recommend that someone play them unless they really can't stand pixel art or need the voice acting.

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Play Blade Runner or The X-Files to wash the taste off !

Is there anywhere to buy a copy of these now, or are they games forever lost due to licensing?
I can't seem to find my old DVD copy of the X-Files: The Game anywhere now. (my first DVD drive came with DVD editions of it and the original Baldur's Gate)
ubique
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:37 AM)
ubique's Avatar
What's the word on Grim Fandango's remaster anyway? Did they mess anything up?

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Yet you're satisfied with Dott's remaster and are not ALARMED at how outrageous the full throttle remaster is looking.

Originally Posted by Paragon

what's wrong with it and the Full Throttle remaster?
Should I be seeking out the old versions of these games?

It's pretty bad, the vectorized look makes it appear sterile in a way that's particularly jarring in a game that's supposed to have a dirty & raw atmosphere. And technically based on that trailer it looks like a rush job (that door kicking scene, oof), although I guess they can still polish it a bit

But we live in a world where this exists:



So we can't call the Full Throttle remaster outrageous, it's too late, the bar's set too low
Slaythe
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:04 AM)
Slaythe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Paragon

As someone that hasn't played the originals of these games and just picked up the Day of the Tentacle remaster in a Humble Bundle for $6, what's wrong with it and the Full Throttle remaster?
Should I be seeking out the old versions of these games?

DoTT is fine, just lazy remaster but it added cool commentary and better audio. The art doesn't hold up as well in "HD" because they went the lazy way, while the pixel art was one of the best at the time. I'll cover the horror of FT in a bit.

Is there a consensus on which is the "definitive" version of these games?
I played through The Secret of Monkey Island on an Amiga originally - right up to reaching the island, at which point I couldn't proceed any further because disk 4 was bad.
I later picked up a boxed collection with 1 & 2 on CD, which is the version of those games (particularly the soundtrack) that's burned into my brain.
I agree that the new art in the special editions is pretty bad - worse than I remembered - and is not the way I'd recommend that someone play them unless they really can't stand pixel art or need the voice acting.

The definitive versions of Monkey I and II are the CD full color versions, and you have to play them on Scumm while making SURE that the aspect ratio is correct. 4/3 and not squeezed. On top of that, adding artificial scanlines help Monkey 2 greatly, because it blends its digitized backgrounds really well. And the game looks gorgeous with it.

Is there anywhere to buy a copy of these now, or are they games forever lost due to licensing?
I can't seem to find my old DVD copy of the X-Files: The Game anywhere now. (my first DVD drive came with DVD editions of it and the original Baldur's Gate)

No as far as I know, I downloaded a patch that turned my CDs (yeah I have the CD version not the DVD... ) into one big ISO that I can just use to play the full game ! I made a back up of that to make sure I can replay it whenever I want :D . Compatible on Windows 10, only issue being the aspect ratio that you can't ever get back to the original but the game looks alright.

I think you can probably find online back ups. Not sure legal but heh, like blade runner, if you can't buy it anywhere I think it's in a gray area.
Slaythe
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:12 AM)
Slaythe's Avatar

Originally Posted by ubique

What's the word on Grim Fandango's remaster anyway? Did they mess anything up?

I haven't heard any bad thing about it. I haven't played it yet so I can't give you my word.



It's pretty bad, the vectorized look makes it appear sterile in a way that's particularly jarring in a game that's supposed to have a dirty & raw atmosphere. And technically based on that trailer it looks like a rush job (that door kicking scene, oof), although I guess they can still polish it a bit

But we live in a world where this exists:



So we can't call the Full Throttle remaster outrageous, it's too late, the bar's set too low

Ok first of all, that's not the "gold standard" of disasters. This is :












------------


Now that we covered that, let's talk about what we have seen about Full Throttle.

I agree 100% with your comment. But on top of what you said, which is pretty bad, let's be honest, let's add this kind of amateurish garbage, and I don't care that the game isn't "finished", that's what they showed, so that's what I'm judging.

Look at this layer mess, not only did they not fix the original error, they added new ones, his leg being the worst.

Ah, look at his hand... and his knee... Yeah i'm starting to see a pattern here...

And the reason I have no faith in them, is that they didn't notice, that his hand isn't holding the fucking handle on their promo shot, that is the title screen.

Like, come on ? How ?

And ther artstyle downgrade is personally almost as bad as MI se, except they just redraw over what existed while MI tried to make something new. (both are bad)




So yes, I call that outrageous. Sorry.

Maybe it's because the fan art "hd FT" ruined me, but I still think it deserved better than whatever Double Fine is doing.



It's very clear that they used this shot as inspiration btw, because they mimicked some design element of it. But their people aren't as talented so the result isn't good.
Paragon
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:14 AM)
Paragon's Avatar
Well I'm trying to finish off Technobabylon and 2064: Read Only Memories before starting anything new, but I loaded up Day of the Tentacle: Remastered and it seems to have a good selection of options that let you pick from the classic/remastered graphics/sound/music/interface.
Classic graphics are in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio too - though you can display them (almost) 16:9 if you use the classic graphics with the new 'dial' interface since that hides the verbs.
Was there anything else about the remastered version which is worse, or is it just that you don't like the new art?
What about the music? Is the remastered soundtrack okay, or would MT-32 emulation via SCUMM-VM be better? (I'm assuming that 'classic' music is not that)
Slaythe
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:25 AM)
Slaythe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Paragon

Well I'm trying to finish off Technobabylon and 2064: Read Only Memories before starting anything new, but I loaded up Day of the Tentacle: Remastered and it seems to have a good selection of options that let you pick from the classic/remastered graphics/sound/music/interface.
Classic graphics are in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio too - though you can display them (almost) 16:9 if you use the classic graphics with the new 'dial' interface since that hides the verbs.
Was there anything else about the remastered version which is worse, or is it just that you don't like the new art?
What about the music? Is the remastered soundtrack okay, or would MT-32 emulation via SCUMM-VM be better? (I'm assuming that 'classic' music is not that)

I already addressed that in my previous post.

DoTT isn't bad, but it's lazy. The port itself is fine and offers decent options to satisfy old schoolers. Still, from a "remake" perspective, the amount of efforts put into the remaking were abysmal.

With the kind of work they put into DoTT, and FT, nothing suggests MI would have been any good if remastered by them, considering they can't vectorize MI then redraw some details to pretend it's hand drawn and call it a day.

That's what I meant.
ubique
Member
(01-21-2017, 04:47 AM)
ubique's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Ok first of all, that's not the "gold standard" of disasters. This is :

I don't really know where to draw the line, but I always considered that abortion a full on remake rather than a remaster. But yeah, I agree, it's the worst looking of the bunch

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Look at this layer mess, not only did they not fix the original error, they added new ones, his leg being the worst.

I seriously doubt they're not gonna fix that shit. It's present in almost every "cutscene" shot, it can't be that they didn't notice
Karak
Member
(01-21-2017, 07:46 AM)
Karak's Avatar

Originally Posted by inm8num2

Thimbleweed Park Ransome Trailer



My pleasure. It's always nice to see those kinds of success stories, especially for point-and-click devs. I'm looking forward to The Slaughter Act Two and whatever else Alex might have on the horizon.

So am I. In Feb expect a big announcement,. He is under NDA so we can't talk about it till then. But awesome stuff!
Tizoc
Member
(01-21-2017, 08:15 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Yeah I agree about Broken Sword 5; first half is good, 2nd half is pretty weak. I enjoyed the first half of the game a lot more.

Originally Posted by Slaythe

The pc game. I think the Psone game might be a port.

But it's obviously much better on pc.

Will try to track that down.
Slaythe
Member
(01-21-2017, 08:31 AM)
Slaythe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

Yeah I agree about Broken Sword 5; first half is good, 2nd half is pretty weak. I enjoyed the first half of the game a lot more.



Will try to track that down.

advice :

Try to play it to "immerse yourself as an FBI agent". I know it might sound stupid, but that's a game that has an insane attention to detail, millions of easter eggs or just fun stuff to look at in the game. That is entirely not needed to solve puzzles. (well sometimes... if you don't open your desk drawer, you're actually gonna get stuck at the very beginning :p )

Like feel free to check your PC, your texts, your mails, etc ... The story telling is really done in subtle ways (on top of the main story I mean).

I would also suggest activating the "hints", they only happen if you click on a blue orb. The reason for this is because there is one or two parts in the game where the navigation is cancerous, and you have to find some items hidden in proper angles... the hints show you where.

Just don't use the hints whenever you're stuck, but it's good to know about it. (I personally don't mind being stuck on puzzles, but when it's due to bad designs it irritates me) It's just some small parts in the game but I lost hours the first time, which was annoying.

I'm not sure how it is judged as "a game", as it can be a bit straightforward, but if you like X-files, it's a dream made playable. It really feels like being in the (good era) X-files. The investigation is well written, the main characters are believable, the atmosphere is great. It's a very enjoyable run.

Also the computer login info (this was told in the manual so if you DL it...) is

Craig Willmore

pw : SHILOH

One last thing.... save a lot... and trust no one.
Tizoc
Member
(01-21-2017, 09:10 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slaythe

advice :

Try to play it to "immerse yourself as an FBI agent". I know it might sound stupid, but that's a game that has an insane attention to detail, millions of easter eggs or just fun stuff to look at in the game. That is entirely not needed to solve puzzles. (well sometimes... if you don't open your desk drawer, you're actually gonna get stuck at the very beginning :p )

Like feel free to check your PC, your texts, your mails, etc ... The story telling is really done in subtle ways (on top of the main story I mean).

I would also suggest activating the "hints", they only happen if you click on a blue orb. The reason for this is because there is one or two parts in the game where the navigation is cancerous, and you have to find some items hidden in proper angles... the hints show you where.

Just don't use the hints whenever you're stuck, but it's good to know about it. (I personally don't mind being stuck on puzzles, but when it's due to bad designs it irritates me) It's just some small parts in the game but I lost hours the first time, which was annoying.

I'm not sure how it is judged as "a game", as it can be a bit straightforward, but if you like X-files, it's a dream made playable. It really feels like being in the (good era) X-files. The investigation is well written, the main characters are believable, the atmosphere is great. It's a very enjoyable run.

Also the computer login info (this was told in the manual so if you DL it...) is

Craig Willmore

pw : SHILOH

One last thing.... save a lot... and trust no one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbBX6aEzEz8
CecilRousso
Member
(01-21-2017, 10:08 AM)
CecilRousso's Avatar

Originally Posted by ubique

The puzzles started getting really annoying, especially the ones you had to look at maps or documents to solve, but that could be because I stopped caring about the story so it just felt like unpaid work.

I can see how they're annoying when you don't care anymore, but for me such puzzles are the highligts of the Broken Sword series. I felt that the middle part of the game was where it really shined, but that it had a very boring ending. And re-using so many old characters doesn't help the game, as you said.

I kinda enjoyed Broken Sword 5, but it felt like an episode of longrunning show, where in the end, nothing especially interesting had happened with the characters or the series.

Originally Posted by ULTROS!

Need help PnC GAF. Book of Unwritten Tales 2 or Valiant Hearts?

I know a lot of people really enjoy the Book of Unwritten Tales series, but I couldn't stand the look and feel of the first game, and from what I've seen of the second one, it's doesn't change. It has that weird uncanny valley feeling where most things seems good with relatively high production values, but there's something 'off" with the characters, dialogues and animations.

Valiant Hearts is pretty good though.I'ts a very light p&c adventure game, where most solutions are found immediately, and it's completely linear. But the story (despite some sillyness), art, music and overall feeling makes it very worthwhile to play.
Tizoc
Member
(01-21-2017, 11:37 AM)
Tizoc's Avatar
2 episodes left of Minecraft Story Mode.
Would I have enjoyed this more if I were more into Minecraft? Cuz it's beena dull experience so far.
Zap Rowsdower
Banned
(01-21-2017, 11:56 AM)

Originally Posted by Tizoc

2 episodes left of Minecraft Story Mode.
Would I have enjoyed this more if I were more into Minecraft? Cuz it's beena dull experience so far.

Nah it's just bad.

Have you played Tales from The Borderlands? Now that game is far better than it has any right to be. It's great and no real knowledge of Borderlands is required.
Boem
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:24 PM)
Boem's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slaythe

I mean I'm weirded out by this post.

You are clearly a fan and pay attention to detail.

Yet you're satisfied with Dott's remaster and are not ALARMED at how outrageous the full throttle remaster is looking.

I kinda scratch my head at that.

Yeah, I didn't mention it in my post but I'm not convinced by Full Throttle yet. It was always going to be a hard one to remaster (and, frankly, I'm not sure it needed a remaster beyond some developer commentary), but I didn't like the first screenshots of DOTT remastered either, and that turned out absolutely lovely. I think both Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle Remastered are now pretty much the definitive versions of the games. Full Throttle - we'll see. I'm a bit worried but I'm going to give it a chance.

Originally Posted by Paragon

As someone that hasn't played the originals of these games and just picked up the Day of the Tentacle remaster in a Humble Bundle for $6, what's wrong with it and the Full Throttle remaster?
Should I be seeking out the old versions of these games?

Is there a consensus on which is the "definitive" version of these games?
I played through The Secret of Monkey Island on an Amiga originally - right up to reaching the island, at which point I couldn't proceed any further because disk 4 was bad.

The Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango remasters are absolutely great. It's more Full Throttle that, due to it's artstyle, isn't really working in screenshots right now. But feel free to go ahead and play the special editions of the other two.

One thing: if this is your first time playing them I would avoid the developer commentary during the game. It's hilarious and very informative, but it will also spoil some puzzle solutions and later story developments. It's more for people who already played the games before.

As for Monkey Island: I'd say the CD-Rom versions, yeah. The music is better, and in the case of Monkey 1 the added colors really add to the atmosphere. Like I said before, I'd skip the special editions, unless you really can't stand pixels and a lack of voice acting.
Tizoc
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:40 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zap Rowsdower

Nah it's just bad.

Have you played Tales from The Borderlands? Now that game is far better than it has any right to be. It's great and no real knowledge of Borderlands is required.

I e already played tales from blands and it was great
One of my fav telltale games
Boem
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:46 PM)
Boem's Avatar
Minecraft, more than most Telltale games (except perhaps Bone), is very much aimed at a very young audience. I ended up playing it with my 7 year old nephew, and he absolutely loved it. There wasn't a lot going on for me - there's a certain charm to it, but the writing is very much aimed at young kids, and there's a bit too much 'power of friendship' type stuff going on.

I haven't played Batman and Walking Dead 3. Partly because I've grown tired of the formula, and partly because Batman runs like a slideshow on my (admittedly ancient at this point) pc. Which is a bit surprising since I could play every single earlier Telltale game at its highest settings, but oh well. I played all their other games, and maybe that was enough for me.
Tizoc
Member
(01-21-2017, 01:57 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
I figured minecraft sm would appeal to younger audience
My nephews all know and play minecraft for one thing even if theyre not good in it i think :p
Ill try to finish it in the next few days and take a small break from pnc games then contnur my backlog

Nigh tof the rabbit is mext, assuming it allows for german dub, is any better than the english dub?
Slaythe
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:07 PM)
Slaythe's Avatar
Not exactly a point and click, but a pure adventure / story driven game, any fan of Shadow of Memories here ? :D

One of my favorite games.
Tizoc
Member
(01-21-2017, 02:12 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Not exactly a point and click, but a pure adventure / story driven game, any fan of Shadow of Memories here ? :D

One of my favorite games.

Ive heard of it and plan on playing it in the near future
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(01-21-2017, 03:41 PM)
mattiewheels's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Not exactly a point and click, but a pure adventure / story driven game, any fan of Shadow of Memories here ? :D

One of my favorite games.

Loved it back in 2001. It was a really cool Japanese version of a cinematic adventure game, with a novel time travel story and pretty simple but interesting mechanics. I played it on PSP too, wish that made it to Vita but it's not digital.
Green Yoshi
Member
(01-21-2017, 03:51 PM)
Green Yoshi's Avatar
State of Mind from Daedalic will be released for Nintendo Switch:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...intendo_switch
EVO
Member
(01-21-2017, 04:18 PM)
EVO's Avatar
I'm playing through Monkey Island at the moment. As someone that never played the original I'm surprised there's nothing but love for the remake. I've been toggling between the two versions and while the original art was nice, the updated art and music really brings the island to life.

Originally Posted by Slaythe

Not exactly a point and click, but a pure adventure / story driven game, any fan of Shadow of Memories here ? :D

One of my favorite games.

I love this game. It's one of the best PS2/PSP games for me though.

Wish JP would make more games like that. I want to see more JP adventure/PnC games.
CecilRousso
Member
(01-21-2017, 07:42 PM)
CecilRousso's Avatar

Originally Posted by EVO

I'm playing through Monkey Island at the moment. As someone that never played the original I'm surprised there's nothing but love for the remake. I've been toggling between the two versions and while the original art was nice, the updated art and music really brings the island to life.

A lot of it comes from that they took the descision to make Conan O'Brien star as Guybrush Threepwood, when they redid the design.
Boem
Member
(01-21-2017, 07:58 PM)
Boem's Avatar

Originally Posted by CecilRousso

A lot of it comes from that they took the descision to make Conan O'Brien star as Guybrush Threepwood, when they redid the design.

Like, I get it. He's an iconic videogame character, and that sprite is just as iconic as the original Mario Bros sprite. That's a hard one to translate in a new style, especially considering that Guybrush looks totally different in every game in the series.

But how in the name of our lord and savior do you end up with this:





It's a complete abomination. I still can't imagine how nobody involved in making the remake didn't realize that this was simply not okay as a finished design.

The entire first remake is full of stuff like that, but Guybrush himself is probably the ugliest part of it. Still, the backgrounds are just horrible as well, like actually using comic sans for the sign at Stan's, and the weird, flat colors of those flash-like backgrounds. Again, Monkey 2 fared better, but still doesn't hold a candle to the original to me.

I completely understand and admit that a lot of this is simply based on me growing up with these games and knowing them inside out, so the mistakes jump out to me a lot more. But I can't imagine anyone looking at that Guybrush and thinking he looks appealing as a main character.

To get back to Grim and DOTT - Grim simply worked better because they just redrew the textures and did some neat lighting tricks, and DOTT worked surprisingly well for me after not quite digging the screenshots and the trailer. Ingame it worked beautifully for me. The Chuck Jones aesthetic really lends itself to that use of color, and I was amazed that I now (almost) prefer it to the original. The old pixels are burned into my heart, but I can totally recommend the new version to someone who never played it before. Full Throttle doesn't have that Chuck Jones influence at its core so it doesn't work as well for me, but maybe it'll click more once I actually play it, like with DOTT.
ubique
Member
(01-21-2017, 09:44 PM)
ubique's Avatar

Originally Posted by CecilRousso

I kinda enjoyed Broken Sword 5, but it felt like an episode of longrunning show, where in the end, nothing especially interesting had happened with the characters or the series.

Other than the old characters showing up and the Templar Knights shit from BS3 these games are basically entirely episodic anyway. Nothing really happens to anyone on a personal level and they don't talk about even the most bombastic events

Like remember when George saw the body of King Arthur himself and proceeded to kill a real dragon with a sword after dodging fire balls while the world was being destroyed by earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanoes? That's not really mentioned in subsequent games, so I doubt stopping Lucifer from killing God will have any impact on George Stobbart's life

Someone should make a supercut of all the fat shaming in these games, that's where it really shines, and clearly where they made a real effort
Tizoc
Member
(01-21-2017, 09:49 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Before heading off to bed, here's my GOG PnC list that I plan on completing this year, before I start a 2nd batch :P
Mincecraft SM (in progress)
Night of the Rabbit
Primordia
Resonance
Richard & Alice
Sam & Max hit the road
Star Trek 25th
Star Trek Judgement Rights
Wallice & Gromit
Whispered World 1
Zak McKraken
Tales of Monkey Island
Broken Sword 1 and 2
Gabe Knight 2 and 3
MAYBE Gabe Knight 20th ann. (MAYBE)

Sorry if Ia lready posted this list before :X
mattiewheels
And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
(01-22-2017, 12:05 AM)
mattiewheels's Avatar
I wonder what adventure game people think of The Cave these days.

I remember thinking is was a really cool idea, taking a typically stationary point and click genre and seeing how it worked as a platform explorer. Obviously lots of things had to be jettisoned for it to work as a platformer and I didn't mind too much. Story and character development was handled pretty well, although the puzzles were so spread wide and mechanical in nature that it was obviously more tedious. It did make me think about the original Maniac Mansion for a lot of reasons though, how Gilbert probably was trying to find a common denominator gameplay wise.

I guess I was a fan and could look past the tedium and jank. I really like the idea of platformer adventures. The Fall tried to do it too, story aside I actually think I like The Cave a little more.
RAIDEN1
Member
(01-22-2017, 12:26 AM)
RAIDEN1's Avatar
For me Grim Fandango was the LEAST enjoyable LucasArts adventure I have played, I'd say the likes of DOTT, Full Throttle, and Monkey Island 1-3 are MILES better....

I'm looking forward to the Full Throttle re-master! In the absence of a sequel, which will never happen now...this is the next best thing on getting to play it on today's systems...
CecilRousso
Member
(01-22-2017, 10:31 AM)
CecilRousso's Avatar

Originally Posted by mattiewheels

I wonder what adventure game people think of The Cave these days.

I remember thinking is was a really cool idea, taking a typically stationary point and click genre and seeing how it worked as a platform explorer. Obviously lots of things had to be jettisoned for it to work as a platformer and I didn't mind too much. Story and character development was handled pretty well, although the puzzles were so spread wide and mechanical in nature that it was obviously more tedious. It did make me think about the original Maniac Mansion for a lot of reasons though, how Gilbert probably was trying to find a common denominator gameplay wise.

I guess I was a fan and could look past the tedium and jank. I really like the idea of platformer adventures. The Fall tried to do it too, story aside I actually think I like The Cave a little more.

The main problem with The Cave is the excessive platforming. Ron Gilbert weren't wrong about the idea that it would be an enjoyable way of moving around in an adventure game, but there's just way to many platforms, ladders and ropes in the different areas, so it becomes tedious.

Other then that, it's a fine game. Some areas are better then others, but I had fun playing it, and it was only a couple of months ago I played some new characters in it that I hadn't played before.

It's an interesting concept, that other developers should try and iterate on, when doing adventure games. I would love a The Cave 2, but I'm pretty sure that Double Fine won't do it.

I wonder if Night in the Woods doesn't share some similarities with this game.

Thread Tools