• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

hitlerat
Member
(07-10-2017, 01:49 PM)
hitlerat's Avatar
After some great analysis:

The best 4K TVS for gaming

Sony X900E - Best Overall

The Best Gaming TVs - Summer 2017

Best Mid-Range TV for Gaming : The Winner: Sony X900E

For a mid-range option, we recommend the Sony X900E. It's a versatile 4k LED TV that's especially good for playing video games, thanks to its low input lag and motion blur. Thanks to its good value compared to the competing Samsung MU8000 and LG SJ8500, it's a good choice if you want some of the best picture quality found on an LED TV .

It doesn't have blacks as deep as what an OLED TV can do, but it's still a great performer in a dark room thanks to its well-executed local dimming feature. It's brighter by a fair margin too, which is great if you planned to use it in a well-lit environment.

Overall, the X900E is sure to please most gamers, especially if it isn't the only thing it's going to be used for. It's the best alternative to OLEDs if they are out of your budget.

I think it will be great have some settings discuss about that tv here

Rtings settings :
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/son...ings?uxtv=a5bc

Avs settings :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFsRJ3EU8Dg

Game Mode
Brightness 20 (Max on HDR)
Contrast 90
Gamma 0
Black Level 50
Adv. contrast enhancer Off
Auto local dimming Medium
X-tended Dynamic Range Off (High on HDR)

Colour 50
Hue 0
Colour temperature Expert 1
R-Gain Max
G-Gain -3
B-Gain -8
Live Color off

Sharpness 50
Reality Creation Off
Smooth gradation Off

Motionflow Off

Goose_Se7en
Banned
(07-10-2017, 01:52 PM)
It'll be cool to see if this 2017 tv becomes the KS8000 of last year.
Chinbo37
Member
(07-10-2017, 02:01 PM)
Chinbo37's Avatar
Do you have settings for normal movies and TV watching etc?

I know its a gaming forum but it would be nice. Im planning on grabbing this TV
Markitron
Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
(07-10-2017, 02:01 PM)
Markitron's Avatar
So is this the update to the X800D?

I need a new monitor for my PC and was thinking about this TV.
Freshmaker
I am Korean.
(07-10-2017, 02:03 PM)
Freshmaker's Avatar

Originally Posted by Markitron

So is this the update to the X800D?

I need a new monitor for my PC and was thinking about this TV.

More like the next higher step up.
hitlerat
Member
(07-10-2017, 02:04 PM)
hitlerat's Avatar
Anyone tried Graphics settings on gaming?
Proteus
BOSS
(07-10-2017, 02:05 PM)
Proteus's Avatar
This is the TV I have so I will take a look at these settings. I am pretty happy with mine though.
Ushay
Member
(07-10-2017, 02:35 PM)
Ushay's Avatar
This is the one I'm aiming to pick up in the next few months.
Karspankey
Banned
(07-10-2017, 02:57 PM)
I really don't recommend you suggest for people to use those post-processing effects like black adjust and adv contrast enhance. They are especially bad to recommend on a gaming website where games already do their own post-effects. You also want to keep the response time as low as possible, so leaving that stuff off is also recommended.

Should also note that brightness is literally up to the users choice and that there is no correct brightness. It should be kept on the low side to reduce eye strain in a dark room and kept high for use in a bright room (like a living room).

Also noting that you suggest turning up the sharpness which is a super no-go for games. If you want a sharper image, I would more-so recommend turning reality creation to auto. Do note, that while details will be sharper, you will get dithering on nice 4K edges. It's nice for non-native resolution games, so maybe try and only use it then.

Really, use RTINGS settings besides the color calibration. They are the truly tested settings and will get you the most accurate picture you can get without tools. I do, however, suggest that everyone switch the color temperature from "Expert 1" to "Warm"

A lot of games/media author their content on the warm side of things, but what I've found is that Expert 1 is pretty much a "piss filter" it yellows nice blue skies and turns whites to yellow. Change it to Warm and see if you like it.
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(07-10-2017, 02:57 PM)
Admiral Woofington's Avatar
I want this TV but I'm now hearing issues of controller input lag. Also apparently audio lag?
Pastry
Banned
(07-10-2017, 03:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Admiral Woofington

I want this TV but I'm now hearing issues of controller input lag. Also apparently audio lag?

Haven't had an issue with controller input lag yet, been playing a lot of BF1. Where did you hear this?
hitlerat
Member
(07-10-2017, 03:02 PM)
hitlerat's Avatar

Originally Posted by Karspankey

I really don't recommend you suggest for people to use those post-processing effects like black adjust and adv contrast enhance. They are especially bad to recommend on a gaming website where games already do their own post-effects. You also want to keep the response time as low as possible, so leaving that stuff off is also recommended.

Should also note that brightness is literally up to the users choice and that there is no correct brightness. It should be kept on the low side to reduce eye strain in a dark room and kept high for use in a bright room (like a living room).

Also noting that you suggest turning up the sharpness which is a super no-go for games. If you want a sharper image, I would more-so recommend turning reality creation to auto. Do note, that while details will be sharper, you will get dithering on nice 4K edges. It's nice for non-native resolution games, so maybe try and only use it then.

Really, use RTINGS settings besides the color calibration. They are the truly tested settings and will get you the most accurate picture you can get without tools. I do, however, suggest that everyone switch the color temperature from "Expert 1" to "Warm"

A lot of games/media author their content on the warm side of things, but what I've found is that Expert 1 is pretty much a "piss filter" it yellows nice blue skies and turns whites to yellow. Change it to Warm and see if you like it.

I am not suggesting my settings. I am here to learn and improve my configuration...
Should I edit my post and remove my settings from there?

Thanks for the tips
Karspankey
Banned
(07-10-2017, 03:03 PM)

Originally Posted by hitlerat

I am not suggesting my settings. I am here to learn and improve my configuration...
Should I edit my post and remove my settings from there?

Thanks for the tips

Oh, well in that case, yes! Just suggest for people to use RTING's setup. They are the go-to guys for this kind of thing as they have all the equipment to do all the testing.
derFeef
lil' bit tasty
(07-10-2017, 03:14 PM)
Subscribed for future reference :) Will get this TV sooner or later for sure.
canocha
Member
(07-10-2017, 03:23 PM)
canocha's Avatar
I used the AVS settings to calibrate my TV.

Played Mario Kart 8 DX, didn't feel any lag and the image was good (Im not alergic to jaggies).
LegendX48
Member
(07-10-2017, 03:25 PM)
LegendX48's Avatar
brightness at max for hdr seems wrong to me but I don't have my replacement set to test yet.
Cmerrill
You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
(07-10-2017, 03:34 PM)
Cmerrill's Avatar
I just purchased this yesterday to replace my Samsung ku6300 - I can't wait to get it setup.
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(07-10-2017, 03:36 PM)
Admiral Woofington's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pastry

Haven't had an issue with controller input lag yet, been playing a lot of BF1. Where did you hear this?

In the Rting best tvs for gaming thread I saw posts here and there. One guy saying the input lag was bad for precision gaming, and another was saying that there were some audio issues when they were watching Sky or something.

If it's not an issue and more the invididuals then all the better then as I'm really considering this TV or a similar one when I get my first 4k TV.
Syrus
Banned
(07-10-2017, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Goose_Se7en

It'll be cool to see if this 2017 tv becomes the KS8000 of last year.


I fuxkin love my KS8000.

Definently wont replace it til 2.1 and hopefully OLED below 2500 for 65.

Doubt my wife will let me replace it for at least 5 years haha.

OLED is nice as hell but the ks8000 is damn good
ngower
Member
(07-10-2017, 03:52 PM)
ngower's Avatar
I will say it can be frustrating not having nameable picture setting presets but I believe it saves what you keep for "Picture - Custom" or "Game - Custom" etc, so swapping between movies and games on PS4 isn't that inconvenient.

This TV is great and I'm not an esports guy so I really could give half a shit about input lag, but in my experience I've never noticed anything that stands out lag-wise.
TheBoss1
Member
(07-10-2017, 04:22 PM)
TheBoss1's Avatar
OP your quote about the TV being the winner for best gaming TV according to RTINGS is a bit misleading. You conveniently left out the header, mid-range, to make it look better. This set is still amazing so I won't kill you any longer lol.
Pastry
Banned
(07-10-2017, 04:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Admiral Woofington

In the Rting best tvs for gaming thread I saw posts here and there. One guy saying the input lag was bad for precision gaming, and another was saying that there were some audio issues when they were watching Sky or something.

If it's not an issue and more the invididuals then all the better then as I'm really considering this TV or a similar one when I get my first 4k TV.

I use a sound bar so I honestly have no idea about the audio issue with the tv speakers. For input lag though I haven't noticed anything. I think I'm pretty good at BF1, consistently at the top of the boards, and I have not noticed anything that I felt was affecting me. The tv is a marvel though, I got it after having a budget 1080p tv for 5 years.

If you buy the tv at Best Buy you get 15 days to return it so maybe get the tv and test it out?
DieH@rd
Banned
(07-10-2017, 04:31 PM)
DieH@rd's Avatar
Since the 43XD8005 is no longer avaiable in my region for 4+ months now, most likely I will aim to get this 49XE9005. It will be a bit large for use as my primary monitor, but I'll manage. :)

But not yet, I will wait for it to come closer 1000... and when that happens there will be announcements of future models with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision... and the waiting game will continue. :D
RowdyReverb
Member
(07-10-2017, 04:35 PM)
RowdyReverb's Avatar
Thank you for this post! Just got this TV recently and haven't had time to toy with the settings
Latvian Hitman
Member
(07-10-2017, 04:37 PM)
Latvian Hitman's Avatar
I would not recommend using the RGB offsets from the bottom of the first post. Greyscale will vary from unit to unit, and unless you have a colorimeter or spectro, you have no way to know if those offsets are bringing you closer to spec or further away.

If you don't have to tools or the desire to properly calibrate, just go with Rtings basic setting suggestions and leave it at that.
TheBoss1
Member
(07-10-2017, 05:32 PM)
TheBoss1's Avatar

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

Since the 43XD8005 is no longer avaiable in my region for 4+ months now, most likely I will aim to get this 49XE9005. It will be a bit large for use as my primary monitor, but I'll manage. :)

But not yet, I will wait for it to come closer 1000... and when that happens there will be announcements of future models with HDMI 2.1 and Dolby Vision... and the waiting game will continue. :D

Yup lol

This is my biggest fear. I need it to drop below $1,000 before (good) HDMI 2.1 news come out. I also want an OLED but I refuse to pay a premium price knowing HDMI 2.1 is right around the corner. The waiting game sucks!
Admiral Woofington
m'Souls, m'lady
(07-10-2017, 05:45 PM)
Admiral Woofington's Avatar

Originally Posted by Pastry

I use a sound bar so I honestly have no idea about the audio issue with the tv speakers. For input lag though I haven't noticed anything. I think I'm pretty good at BF1, consistently at the top of the boards, and I have not noticed anything that I felt was affecting me. The tv is a marvel though, I got it after having a budget 1080p tv for 5 years.

If you buy the tv at Best Buy you get 15 days to return it so maybe get the tv and test it out?

Im likely going to get it via Amazon solely because I have a lot of Points with my Amazon card to pay off a couple hundred. But no rush. Maybe by the time I feel a 4k tv might be worth it it'd be the newest iteration of this TV. Maybe my current budget lg 1080p tvs issues with weird problems of flat colors bothers me too much and I take the plunge.

I'm at the very least moving to a new town next year and having to get a new bed, maybe I'll get a new TV as well.
hitlerat
Member
(07-10-2017, 05:54 PM)
hitlerat's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheBoss1

OP your quote about the TV being the winner for best gaming TV according to RTINGS is a bit misleading. You conveniently left out the header, mid-range, to make it look better. This set is still amazing so I won't kill you any longer lol.

Fixed, thanks
henhowc
(07-12-2017, 12:43 AM)
henhowc's Avatar
You forgot to link to include a link to Quantum Apotheosis in the OP ;)
Robot Pants
Member
(07-12-2017, 01:09 AM)
Robot Pants's Avatar

Originally Posted by Karspankey

I really don't recommend you suggest for people to use those post-processing effects like black adjust and adv contrast enhance. They are especially bad to recommend on a gaming website where games already do their own post-effects. You also want to keep the response time as low as possible, so leaving that stuff off is also recommended.

Should also note that brightness is literally up to the users choice and that there is no correct brightness. It should be kept on the low side to reduce eye strain in a dark room and kept high for use in a bright room (like a living room).


Also noting that you suggest turning up the sharpness which is a super no-go for games. If you want a sharper image, I would more-so recommend turning reality creation to auto. Do note, that while details will be sharper, you will get dithering on nice 4K edges. It's nice for non-native resolution games, so maybe try and only use it then.

Really, use RTINGS settings besides the color calibration. They are the truly tested settings and will get you the most accurate picture you can get without tools. I do, however, suggest that everyone switch the color temperature from "Expert 1" to "Warm"

A lot of games/media author their content on the warm side of things, but what I've found is that Expert 1 is pretty much a "piss filter" it yellows nice blue skies and turns whites to yellow. Change it to Warm and see if you like it.


I disagree. Adv Contrast makes a world of difference
LegendX48
Member
(07-12-2017, 01:26 AM)
LegendX48's Avatar

Originally Posted by Karspankey

I really don't recommend you suggest for people to use those post-processing effects like black adjust and adv contrast enhance. They are especially bad to recommend on a gaming website where games already do their own post-effects. You also want to keep the response time as low as possible, so leaving that stuff off is also recommended.

Should also note that brightness is literally up to the users choice and that there is no correct brightness. It should be kept on the low side to reduce eye strain in a dark room and kept high for use in a bright room (like a living room).

Also noting that you suggest turning up the sharpness which is a super no-go for games. If you want a sharper image, I would more-so recommend turning reality creation to auto. Do note, that while details will be sharper, you will get dithering on nice 4K edges. It's nice for non-native resolution games, so maybe try and only use it then.

Really, use RTINGS settings besides the color calibration. They are the truly tested settings and will get you the most accurate picture you can get without tools. I do, however, suggest that everyone switch the color temperature from "Expert 1" to "Warm"

A lot of games/media author their content on the warm side of things, but what I've found is that Expert 1 is pretty much a "piss filter" it yellows nice blue skies and turns whites to yellow. Change it to Warm and see if you like it.

Good call on color temp, Warm definitely looks more accurate than Expert 1. Expert 1 made whites look yellowish
dEvAnGeL
Member
(07-12-2017, 01:40 AM)
dEvAnGeL's Avatar
I set the advance contrast option to low, havig it on high makes the screen brightness change all the time and it was driving me crazy, not a huge change but can notice these small things easily, at first i was thinking maybe it was the local dimming but after looking at everything it was the advance contrast option, just a heads up in case anyone is wondering why is this happening.
henhowc
(07-12-2017, 02:07 AM)
henhowc's Avatar
has anyone played the last of us on this set? i have the tcl 55p and i'm coming from a plasma. something feels off when playing the game. i'm not sure if its the TV or lcds in general. i think the game just might be doing heavy motion blur which lcds in general might not be able to handle as well as plasmas?
Spukc
Member
(07-12-2017, 02:14 AM)
Spukc's Avatar

Originally Posted by henhowc

has anyone played the last of us on this set? i have the tcl 55p and i'm coming from a plasma. something feels off when playing the game. i'm not sure if its the TV or lcds in general. i think the game just might be doing heavy motion blur which lcds in general might not be able to handle as well as plasmas?

I owned the 800.
And tlou looked like shit on it .
Esp in hdr
Triz
(07-12-2017, 02:17 AM)

Originally Posted by henhowc

has anyone played the last of us on this set? i have the tcl 55p and i'm coming from a plasma. something feels off when playing the game. i'm not sure if its the TV or lcds in general. i think the game just might be doing heavy motion blur which lcds in general might not be able to handle as well as plasmas?

I have the 65" of this set and have played through Last of Us on it to test out the HDR. I didn't have any graphical problems as far as I remember. Do you have motion Flow turned off?
StrongBlackVine
Banned
(07-12-2017, 02:18 AM)
Nm
henhowc
(07-12-2017, 02:20 AM)
henhowc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Triz

I have the 65" of this set and have played through Last of Us on it to test out the HDR. I didn't have any graphical problems as far as I remember. Do you have motion Flow turned off?

I actually don't have this TV. But I was interested in it. I'm currently playing it on a TCL 55P605 which is a 60hz TV and doesn't have any motion flow/interpolation options.
dEvAnGeL
Member
(07-12-2017, 02:55 AM)
dEvAnGeL's Avatar
Can anyone adjust the picture size when a ps4 is conected? It seems it defaults to the wide option, and all the other options are not selectable.
FearlessBelgian
Member
(07-12-2017, 03:10 PM)
FearlessBelgian's Avatar
I cant play Crash Bandicoot and Hitman on this TV , input lag are insane in these games + 34 ms from the tv... :(

No problem with other games...
Karspankey
Banned
(07-12-2017, 03:13 PM)

Originally Posted by dEvAnGeL

Can anyone adjust the picture size when a ps4 is conected? It seems it defaults to the wide option, and all the other options are not selectable.

Only if you choose a resolution other than 4K
Necrovex
Member
(07-12-2017, 03:16 PM)
Necrovex's Avatar
This will probably be the television I upgrade to once I complete my move. I'd imagine this will be a nice upgrade from a '07 32" Vizio 1080i television set.
Cmerrill
You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
(07-12-2017, 03:16 PM)
Cmerrill's Avatar

Originally Posted by FearlessBelgian

I cant play Crash Bandicoot and Hitman on this TV , input lag are insane in these games + 34 ms from the tv... :(

No problem with other games...

I fail to see how 34ms makes these games unplayable?

If you were that sensitive to input lag, why aren't you gaming on a gaming monitor?
Proteus
BOSS
(07-12-2017, 03:18 PM)
Proteus's Avatar

Originally Posted by FearlessBelgian

I cant play Crash Bandicoot and Hitman on this TV , input lag are insane in these games + 34 ms from the tv... :(

No problem with other games...

I play MLB: The Show on this TV without issue. Hitting in that game is heavily based on timing.

Originally Posted by henhowc

You forgot to link to include a link to Quantum Apotheosis in the OP ;)

What's up with this QA person. I saw a few of their videos and they seem a bit unhinged.
miller.skippins
Banned
(07-12-2017, 03:21 PM)
I got this tv as well last week. There isn't much to configure for gaming as it plays great out of the box. The only thing is to configure the HDMI settings to high efficiency to use the full bandwidth needed for 4kHDR

The smart TV function ain't the greatest though (chug when I tried to play some high-end 4k sample videos) but I have a Nvidia shield TV for that specific function.
Cmerrill
You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
(07-12-2017, 03:24 PM)
Cmerrill's Avatar
I ordered the 65inch version on Sunday from Best Buy, and was expecting it Friday afternoon(at the start of my little vacation).

Then I get an email from Best Buy saying that there's been a warehouse issue and it will be shipping later than expected and they will let me know my new date in the next 3-5 business days....

Last fucking time I ever buy from Best Buy.
TheBoss1
Member
(07-12-2017, 04:22 PM)
TheBoss1's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cmerrill

I ordered the 65inch version on Sunday from Best Buy, and was expecting it Friday afternoon(at the start of my little vacation).

Then I get an email from Best Buy saying that there's been a warehouse issue and it will be shipping later than expected and they will let me know my new date in the next 3-5 business days....

Last fucking time I ever buy from Best Buy.

I hate when shit like that happens, but that's just life lol
Klotera
Member
(07-13-2017, 03:13 AM)
Klotera's Avatar
Here are my settings. This is for a room that gets a decent amount of sunlight during the day. If you wanted to try these and have a darker room, you could drop the brightness on the SDR modes.

TV/Movies (SDR)
--------------------
Picture mode: Custom
Brightness: 13
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black level: 50
Black adjust: off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: Medium
Extended Dynamic Range: Low
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Live color: Off
Sharpness: 50
Reality creation: Manual
Resolution: 20
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth Gradation: Low
Motionflow: True Cinema
Cinemotion: High

Games (SDR)
--------------------
Picture mode: Game
Brightness: 13
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
Extended Dynamic Range: High
Color: 55
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Live color: Off
Sharpness: 50
Reality creation: Manual
Resolution: 10
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth Gradation: Low
Motionflow: Off
Cinemotion: Off

TV/Movies (HDR)
--------------------
Picture mode: Cinema Pro
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
Extended Dynamic Range: High
Color: 50
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Live color: Off
Sharpness: 50
Reality creation: Manual
Resolution: 20
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth Gradation: Low
Motionflow: True Cinema
Cinemotion: High

Games (HDR)
--------------------
Picture mode: Game
Brightness: Max
Contrast: 90
Gamma: 0
Black level: 50
Black adjust: off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Auto Local Dimming: High
Extended Dynamic Range: High
Color: 55
Hue: 0
Color temperature: Expert 1
Live color: Off
Sharpness: 50
Reality creation: Manual
Resolution: 10
Random Noise Reduction: Off
Digital Noise Reduction: Off
Smooth Gradation: Low
Motionflow: Off
Cinemotion: Off
JohnMatrix
Banned
(07-13-2017, 04:01 AM)
What's the difference between the X7000E and the X9000E?
TheBoss1
Member
(07-13-2017, 03:53 PM)
TheBoss1's Avatar

Originally Posted by JohnMatrix

What's the difference between the X7000E and the X9000E?

One is mediocre and the other is great.

Get the X9000E.
etta
my hard graphic balls
(07-17-2017, 12:01 AM)
etta's Avatar
Does smooth gradation negatively affect the image in any way? Can I max it out?

Thread Tools