• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Nikana
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:03 PM)
Nikana's Avatar

Originally Posted by valkyre

Are we at a point where we have to zoom in at 600% to notice the gulf between the 2 machines?

That is not to say that you cant tell the X is going to be sharper and cleaner than the Pro but those DF comparisons where they zoom in at a photo 600% to show a bottle saying "medicine" is something that I bet nobody will be able to read while playing the game.

Yes the game is better on X but that whole gulf thing sounds hyperbolic, unless people play on 60+ inch TVs standing 1 foot away.

The zooming isn't to show, "oh man!! Looks at this label!"

It's more to be able to show exactly what changes since this is a tech analaysis and not just a video/picture comparison.
Tomeru
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:16 PM)
Tomeru's Avatar

Originally Posted by Space_nut

Double the pixel output is double the performance to render in that res

Oh ok, we're going that way...
albz74
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Space_nut

Significant improvements over pro :)

Xbox One X is a BEAST

DOUBLE the pixel res count!!
Matches closely to PC highest settings on a 1080ti!!
Better shading effects over pro

Wasn't this using fp16 ;)

Thats the reason so many users left to other forum.

Unfortunately some console warriors moved as well to ensure same level of shit in DF threads
solis74
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:25 PM)

Originally Posted by BigTnaples

It's because you don't know any better.


If you had a 4K HDR display and got used to that, going back to your 1080p TV will make you want to vomit.

Agree
guitarguy316
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:29 PM)
guitarguy316's Avatar
Can someone paraphrase? I donít want to see any spoilers.
RootCause
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:32 PM)
RootCause's Avatar
Guys! Can we at least get in bullet points? Can't watch the vid at the moment.
meirl
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Space_nut

Significant improvements over pro :)

Xbox One X is a BEAST

DOUBLE the pixel res count!!
Matches closely to PC highest settings on a 1080ti!!
Better shading effects over pro

Wasn't this using fp16 ;)

Remember when there were 900p xb1 vs 1080p ps4 days and the fucking MELTDOWN? Now we have a much much bigger difference and suddenly it doesnt Matter.
camajise
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:43 PM)
camajise's Avatar
I bought a 4K TV and was fine playing 1080p games on it. Until, I saw 4K 60fps HDR Forza 7 demo at Best Buy. Now I need a 4Pro or BoneX but waiting on price drops.
skyfinch
This one lady was like "Something smells like ass".

It was me.
(11-11-2017, 06:51 PM)
skyfinch's Avatar

Originally Posted by Coulomb_Barrier

How much is MS paying DF for this barrage of XB1X content? very other day it seems they are posting something related. Seems fishy to me.


I'm assuming 1 free year of xbox live gold!
Danjin44
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:53 PM)
Danjin44's Avatar
Here is my question when we gonna see exclusive games that take advantage that power? Or all we going to see is multi-platform have better performance on it?
Phatosaurus
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:55 PM)
Phatosaurus's Avatar
Both versions look great, the X1X version looks better. Neither maintain a full 60FPS.

It's a shame variable refresh rates TVs aren't more of a thing because that would really go in X1X's favour and smooth those frame drops out.
I know switching to a Gsync monitor was a massive upgrade for me, I still cap some games at 60FPS, but for anything that I'd otherwise have to cap at 30, i can leave to run at 40-50FPS which is much smoother.
Trup1aya
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Coulomb_Barrier

How much is MS paying DF for this barrage of XB1X content? very other day it seems they are posting something related. Seems fishy to me.

Lol what? This is primarily what DF does, console comparisons. A new console just came out so...
family_guy
Member
(11-11-2017, 06:59 PM)

Originally Posted by meirl

Remember when there were 900p xb1 vs 1080p ps4 days and the fucking MELTDOWN? Now we have a much much bigger difference and suddenly it doesnt Matter.

When you were paying $500 on a Xbox One that performed worse than a $400 PS4, you bet it mattered more back then. Now you pay more and get a better experience. Absolutely shocking. I'm not surprised that someone with a GTX 1080 has a better experience than me with my GTX 1070. The true value in these DF console comparisons should be if the more expensive console that came out a year later is performing worse. That to me would warrant a meltdown.
VCALMLIKEABOMBV
Junior Member
(11-11-2017, 07:00 PM)
It's amazing how a new console can turn objective people into "fanboys". That being said I go through that same thing. I got the Xbox One X and I thought finally I can show my advantage with my favorite choice of console, which I couldn't do with the vanilla Xbox one vs PS4.

I turned on my PS4 pro after playing Xbox One X and I loaded up Ratchet and Clank and man enhanced it looks like a Pixar movie. Horizon Dawn is a graphic masterpiece. Then I turned on my switch and I looked at the amazing art style of Mario and Zelda BOTW.

I am truly blown away by TF2 on X1X, and COD WW2, and Gears of War 4 just looks awesome. At the end of the day if I just had a PS4 pro, I would be okay with Wolfenstein II on the system. There are improvements on X1X but at the end of the day I try to step outside of that "I have the best thing" mentality and just be a gamer and enjoy games.
Golgo 13
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:04 PM)
Golgo 13's Avatar
Man, itís bizarre since GAF changed recently (letís just say weíre in a transitional period) to see all these IGN-esque console warrior arguments all over the place. I spent 10 years on other forums before coming here and these bullshit arguments bring me right back to that time.

People... the Xbox One X is clearly a big step up technology-wise from the Pro, and it will be a very noticeable jump if you have a 4K TV. And thatís okay. You can still love your Pro, itís a great console. But the level of denial and pettiness in this thread is maddening.

Just enjoy whatever console you prefer and get on with life.
SenkiDala
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:11 PM)
SenkiDala's Avatar

Originally Posted by rokkerkory

Oh then ull never need a ps5 then too?

I don't understand what you mean. You expect the PS5 to just match the XOX? I expect it to be a new generation. So yeah I expect a leap on the PS5.

As others said, between the PS4 Pro and the X the "leap" is very (very) tiny, my XOS is way enough to me.
CrazyDutch
Junior Member
(11-11-2017, 07:19 PM)
CrazyDutch's Avatar
Wolfenstein II is in HDR on Xbox One X right?
geordiemp
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:23 PM)
Are they both a solid 60 FPS ?

No ?

Then wake me up when Ryzen comes out for consoles.
guitarguy316
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:27 PM)
guitarguy316's Avatar
Nobody wants to summarize?
Nikana
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:28 PM)
Nikana's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrazyDutch

Wolfenstein II is in HDR on Xbox One X right?

No.
Nikana
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:29 PM)
Nikana's Avatar

Originally Posted by SenkiDala

I don't understand what you mean. You expect the PS5 to just match the XOX? I expect it to be a new generation. So yeah I expect a leap on the PS5.

As others said, between the PS4 Pro and the X the "leap" is very (very) tiny, my XOS is way enough to me.

It's not but ok. 👍
MilkyJoe
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:32 PM)
MilkyJoe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snake29

Performance was the same, and even sometimes more constant on Pro. Yes with a lower res (1440p), but still much higher then 1080p. Graphics difference at first place is not huge. We still have to zoom in to see some little differences. Some of you guy really think the Pro is Xbox On quality vs One X, because THAT'S huge.

Imo, they need to convince Xbox One players and not PS4 Pro player to buy an One X.

I remember grass gate...
Alebrije
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:33 PM)
Alebrije's Avatar

Originally Posted by guitarguy316

Nobody wants to summarize?

XboneX is a beast
B4D1E
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:35 PM)
B4D1E's Avatar
I miss the days where the difference was 180p and everybody was dissing Xbox. /s

So much hypocrisy on various threads...
mep
Junior Member
(11-11-2017, 07:41 PM)
X is pushing a lot more pixels here, i think higher memory bandwidth is helping a lot here, although Wolfenstien 2 was supposed to use FP16 on PS4Pro, i wonder where did the FP16 came handy for this title although pushing lower res and still dropping frames.

i would like to see devs supporting CBR more on PS4Pro which still pushing less pixels might look sharper than a straight upscale.
Trup1aya
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:45 PM)

Originally Posted by valkyre

Are we at a point where we have to zoom in at 600% to notice the gulf between the 2 machines?

That is not to say that you cant tell the X is going to be sharper and cleaner than the Pro but those DF comparisons where they zoom in at a photo 600% to show a bottle saying "medicine" is something that I bet nobody will be able to read while playing the game.

Yes the game is better on X but that whole gulf thing sounds hyperbolic, unless people play on 60+ inch TVs standing 1 foot away.

The zoom allows people on smaller displays to see the difference
dcb2821
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:48 PM)
dcb2821's Avatar

Originally Posted by camajise

I bought a 4K TV and was fine playing 1080p games on it. Until, I saw 4K 60fps HDR Forza 7 demo at Best Buy. Now I need a 4Pro or BoneX but waiting on price drops.

That's what I tell everyone that says "there isn't much difference", or "its just diminishing returns at this point." Or watch the comparisons on compressed youtube videos. You really have to see it in person to understand just how good it looks.
Gitaroo
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:50 PM)

Originally Posted by mep

X is pushing a lot more pixels here, i think higher memory bandwidth is helping a lot here, although Wolfenstien 2 was supposed to use FP16 on PS4Pro, i wonder where did the FP16 came handy for this title although pushing lower res and still dropping frames.

i would like to see devs supporting CBR more on PS4Pro which still pushing less pixels might look sharper than a straight upscale.

I probably won't expect any dev to fully exploit RPM on the pro beside first part dev like PS3. Pro was designed to have at least enough power for 2X resolution boost over PS4 for checkerboard rendering, but I felt like that did not pan out as they would have hoped due to engine compatibility and 3rd party want to spend minimal time and resources and go for a more direct approach like dynamic res or a fixed 1440p and call it a day.
pixelbox
(11-11-2017, 07:50 PM)
pixelbox's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

What?? Df do mention that 1440p is the highest the pro goes.

Read a again. There's a resolution cap of 1440p on pro. Meaning it can't exceed it.
solis74
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Alebrije

XboneX is a beast

lol
Oemenia
Member
(11-11-2017, 07:59 PM)
Oemenia's Avatar


Sony first-party are excluded though.
solis74
Member
(11-11-2017, 08:02 PM)

Originally Posted by Nikana

If you are on their patreon (spelling)

They offer uncompressed there. Big difference in quality.

cool.
Nikana
Member
(11-11-2017, 08:16 PM)
Nikana's Avatar

Originally Posted by mep

X is pushing a lot more pixels here, i think higher memory bandwidth is helping a lot here, although Wolfenstien 2 was supposed to use FP16 on PS4Pro, i wonder where did the FP16 came handy for this title although pushing lower res and still dropping frames.

i would like to see devs supporting CBR more on PS4Pro which still pushing less pixels might look sharper than a straight upscale.

Pretty sure it does use 16fp. But only a few things are rendered in fp16.
rokkerkory
Member
(11-11-2017, 08:34 PM)
rokkerkory's Avatar

Originally Posted by guitarguy316

Nobody wants to summarize?

Get the X version
eso76
(11-11-2017, 08:51 PM)
eso76's Avatar

Originally Posted by Leviticus

I was actually watching this comparison video on my 4k TV and have to say that we are now entering the realms of diminishing returns when comparing 2052p to 1440p content. This becomes apparent as we now need to use a zoom to spot the differences. We would not need a zoom to tell 1080p from 720p.

While Wolfenstein on the X looks superior when zoomed in, the difference is not as dramatic as the narrator suggests. But I'm happy for all Xowners, anything below 1080p is just not acceptable anymore.

YouTube though.

Which has me wondering, why won't DF use a better platform ?

I mean, your point is offering in-depth graphical analysis, pixel counting etc and you do that on YouTube ?

Use Vimeo at least, or ask Blim to host vids on gamersyde platform :P
Heck, at least give people the possibility to download vids in higher bitrate.
Even a 12/16mbit decent encode that hasn't gone through YouTube grinder would be good and very manageable in size.

Originally Posted by Nikana

If you are on their patreon (spelling)

They offer uncompressed there. Big difference in quality.

Didn't know that.
Still...come on

Also uncompressed as in... uncompressed?? That's overkill.
Lort
Junior Member
(11-11-2017, 08:52 PM)
This looks great! Good to know that the hardware is performing well. Im looking forward to the games that push the hardware so even the x has to go down to 1440p.. 1440p with 1/3 more pixel shaders and textures than wolf 2 should look like a movie.
rokkerkory
Member
(11-11-2017, 08:57 PM)
rokkerkory's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lort

This looks great! Good to know that the hardware is performing well. Im looking forward to the games that push the hardware so even the x has to go down to 1440p.. 1440p with 1/3 more pixel shaders and textures than wolf 2 should look like a movie.

We're likely not going to see 1440p games on the X unless it's pushing like 480p on the One LOL!

Perhaps when xbox next hits and the X becomes the low end model.
The_Mike
Junior Member
(11-11-2017, 09:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Coulomb_Barrier

How much is MS paying DF for this barrage of XB1X content? very other day it seems they are posting something related. Seems fishy to me.

Did you write the same post when they compared Pro to Xbox One?
Sosokrates
Member
(11-11-2017, 09:07 PM)
Sosokrates's Avatar

Originally Posted by pixelbox

Read a again. There's a resolution cap of 1440p on pro. Meaning it can't exceed it.

Yes thats what I just said and what DF said also.
mad597
Member
(11-11-2017, 09:46 PM)
How convenient those claiming diminishing returns now that Xbox is more powerful. Meanwhile in 2013-2015 people were zooming in and counting grassblades in GTA and making 900P vs 1080P the end all be all. It is really obvious how the narrative always shifts in Sony's favor around here, those downplaying differences aren't fooling anyone.
Nikana
Member
(11-11-2017, 09:47 PM)
Nikana's Avatar

Originally Posted by mad597

How convenient those claiming diminishing returns now that Xbox is more powerful. Meanwhile in 2013-2015 people were zooming in and counting grassblades in GTA and making 900P vs 1080P the end all be all. It is really obvious how the narrative always shifts in Sony's favor around here, those downplaying differences aren't fooling anyone.

Grassgate was great.
mad597
Member
(11-11-2017, 09:48 PM)

Originally Posted by valkyre

Are we at a point where we have to zoom in at 600% to notice the gulf between the 2 machines?

That is not to say that you cant tell the X is going to be sharper and cleaner than the Pro but those DF comparisons where they zoom in at a photo 600% to show a bottle saying "medicine" is something that I bet nobody will be able to read while playing the game.

Yes the game is better on X but that whole gulf thing sounds hyperbolic, unless people play on 60+ inch TVs standing 1 foot away.

We were at that point earlier in the gen but that didn't stop Sony fanboys from prancing around the internet claiming dominance
mad597
Member
(11-11-2017, 09:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Coulomb_Barrier

How much is MS paying DF for this barrage of XB1X content? very other day it seems they are posting something related. Seems fishy to me.

Truth hurts huh?
KiLLaDeZo
Member
(11-11-2017, 09:57 PM)
KiLLaDeZo's Avatar
Wow xbox one x blows the ps4 pro out the water. What a HUGE difference.
Leviticus
Junior Member
(11-11-2017, 10:04 PM)
Leviticus's Avatar

Originally Posted by eso76

YouTube though.

Which has me wondering, why won't DF use a better platform ?

I mean, your point is offering in-depth graphical analysis, pixel counting etc and you do that on YouTube ?

Use Vimeo at least, or ask Blim to host vids on gamersyde platform :P
Heck, at least give people the possibility to download vids in higher bitrate.
Even a 12/16mbit decent encode that hasn't gone through YouTube grinder would be good and very manageable in size.



Didn't know that.
Still...come on

Also uncompressed as in... uncompressed?? That's overkill.

If people are actually paying for uncompressed videos, then they have no incentive to give them away for free. But this surely can't be their main stream income, can it?

Originally Posted by mad597

How convenient those claiming diminishing returns now that Xbox is more powerful. Meanwhile in 2013-2015 people were zooming in and counting grassblades in GTA and making 900P vs 1080P the end all be all. It is really obvious how the narrative always shifts in Sony's favor around here, those downplaying differences aren't fooling anyone.

Isn't it just as convenient to you that this argument is now brought foward by Sony fanboys? If it were not, you would actually consider it to be true (or false). No offense mate: I really don't care about this console-war, but we are seeing diminishing returns here just as we saw diminishing returns with each and every new console generation. When we jump from 4k to 16k, this should be even more obvious than now.
tryDEATH
Junior Member
(11-11-2017, 10:05 PM)
tryDEATH's Avatar
DF is just exposing for what a rushed debacle Sony made by trying to beat MS to the market with the PS4P. No UHD player nor enough of a performance boost.

I know its a stupid cliche, but the PS4P in its current form truly was a mistake by Sony, which is becoming so evident. They could have waited longer due to their amazing sales and release after MS and put the final nail in the Xbox coffin instead they are now forced to be a clear second in the console market for the foreseeable future. I truly feel sorry for the people that upgraded to the PS4P, because truly there wasn't almost any real value in that product.
sunofsam
Member
(11-11-2017, 10:19 PM)
sunofsam's Avatar
Some of the replies here are golden.

Sounds like the_donald level salt and cries of fake news and crooked media.

So much fun.
mad597
Member
(11-11-2017, 10:24 PM)

Originally Posted by sunofsam

Some of the replies here are golden.

Sounds like the_donald level salt and cries of fake news and crooked media.

So much fun.

Yep DF is always "paid off" if a sony console isn't the winner.
Bigby_Wolf
Banned
(11-11-2017, 10:29 PM)

Originally Posted by tryDEATH

DF is just exposing for what a rushed debacle Sony made by trying to beat MS to the market with the PS4P. No UHD player nor enough of a performance boost.

I know its a stupid cliche, but the PS4P in its current form truly was a mistake by Sony, which is becoming so evident. They could have waited longer due to their amazing sales and release after MS and put the final nail in the Xbox coffin instead they are now forced to be a clear second in the console market for the foreseeable future. I truly feel sorry for the people that upgraded to the PS4P, because truly there wasn't almost any real value in that product.

I think they got greedy.

I think they were betting that people wouldn't notice the difference and they could use their exclusives and price difference to sway people anyway but I don't think Sony had any idea of for who or why they were making this machine.

I really believe MS had the idea first and Sony just rushed PS4P out to beat MS to it. There's zero strategy or Target audience for the Pro. Nothing.
CRAIG667
Member
(11-11-2017, 10:42 PM)
CRAIG667's Avatar
Some of the fanoyish bickering in this thread is beyond childish.

If youíre not playing on as many platforms as possible youíre doing yourself a misjustice as a gamer.

If you buy into the whole Ďconsole warí BS you need to chill.

Having a preference is all fine but it doesnít mean you have to talk all alternatives down as utter crap!

I came here to escape this kind of bickering that is rife on N4G... Since this site went through itís ďrecent changeĒ things have got silly with this stuff.

Plealse stop it.

Get along.

Appreciate all platforms.

Thread Tools